Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wait, can you only use subsistence on two missions? I was really looking forward to that mode too. I thought it unlocked for every mission once you beat it or something.
Yeah, unfortunately. I kind of understand it because for procure on site to work they have to rework the maps to have something to find, but that shouldn't have taken a lot of effort to fill in for the rest of the missions. Making most of the Extreme missions the boss fights is just stupid though, MGS boss fights are already giant HP walls as it is, so making them more punishing is a recipe for a ruinous slog.

I haven't found anyone with the patience to get 100% overall completion though so I don't know what that unlocks. Teasing a few difficulty modified missions as disguised filler for the missing second half of the story is pretty lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
So was there ever that scene with the guy training the child soldiers from the trailer? The child soldiers seemed like they were more superfluous than intended since there wasn't really a point where Venom Snake deploys them as soldiers or anything even though you could capture them and there was in fact a special fulton to research for them. That, Battle Gear being essentially useless outside of some last minute deploy missions, the one sided conversation with Skullface that turns into awkward silence with MGS5's main theme playing make me think some big big stuff (not just cool stuff like motherbase in-depth customization and events) got a cleaner cut than the missing 'Liquid/Eli flies away like Peter Pan with Psycho Mantis who magically cures him of his parasite ( and who is magnitudes more powerful than their MGS1 for some reason).

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Pretty much agreed with all of your points. I can't deny that I loved playing the game and the story was great but the Venom stuff ultimately contributes little to the final Big Boss chapter. I'd love to know what Kojima's thoughts are behind the story he chosen to tell, as he barely touches on the war with the Patriots at all.

Unrelated, I think a nice touch to the game would've be having Ishmael's voice swapped for Hayter's in the the Truth mission.

Man I wonder how much stuff was on the cutting room floor. Given the Liquid scene we know about, if there was any future Big Boss/Zanzibarland things they intended to add but run out of time/money.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

In It For The Tank posted:

So I finished the story last night and I have been mulling over it for all of today. I still need to get all my thoughts in order but it really ended up being disappointing. You can't fault the gameplay, although permanently losing Quiet and the limited number of Subsistence missions are both really fuckimg lame. The story is basically a mess, though.

I can dig the twist, kinda. I dislike it because it's aping MGS2's infinitely more interesting discussion of the player/character relationship but it could still have worked if they did more with it. As it is, the game dumps it on you really clumsily ("SURPRISE, now play through the railroaded prologue again so you can get frustrated and also see the entirety of the real Big Boss' role in the story) and it.... doesn't matter. It doesn't add anything to the game except to cheapen the entire experience.

This game was touted as the fall of Big Boss as he becomes the tyrannical nuclear warlord from MG1 and MG2 but it's not. Because the focus is on Venom, Big Boss' transformation either happened off screen or has yet to happen. The game ends basically in the same place as Peace Walker, with Big Boss creating Outer Heaven (but for totally real this time, guys) again. With this in mind, I'll echo others and ask if this story even needed to be told.

Not even Venom is monstrous. He doesn't even do anything evil in this game (relatively speaking, he kills and abducts people and is a warmongerer by virtue of his profession). The only monsters in this story are Skull Face and loving Huey of all people. Even Miller seems more overtly malevolent than Venom.

I've seen people pointing out that Big Boss manipulating Venom like he did is proof of his villainy but I'm not sure if the game supports that interpretation since Venom is cool with being turned into Big Boss (side note: I made my avatar a white guy but loving lol if you made your guy one of the big burly black dudes with tattoos on their faces and got to see the characters perform the reverseof the race-reassignment surgery from Tropic Thunder) and they don't really explore the interesting conflict that would arise from having your identity taken from you beyond the implications of the mirror smash. The weird thing is that Venom is basically the same as Skull Face in that his life and face were stripped away so you'd think the conclusion almost writes itself. Surely, the thematic endpoint of the game about revenge is Venom trying to take revenge on Big Boss, becoming the Skull Face to Big Boss' Zero. That would've been a cool loving ending.

But any ending would be better because we didn't even get one. Quiet's story ends and the second credits play and then the Truth happens and that's it. That should've marked the beginning of Chapter 3, which should've dealt with Eli and also shown more of the real Big Boss. You could've had a nice interplay between Eli and Venom, as they were both molded into Big Boss against their will. gently caress it, have them team up to kill Big Boss and you get to play as Big Boss to take them down.

In short, I don't think the story lived up to the hype of being the last Metal Gear game, nor do I think it adequetely closed the loop. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that the conflict between Big Boss and Zero/the Patriots, which is central to the modern story, is completely absent and they're completely right. We got some really weak explanations toward explaining things like Miller being in Foxhound and hating Big Boss but it seemed like the story almost conciously avoided addressing what seem to be some of the big questions in the series in favour of an independent story about midichlorians parasites, which, while not as obnoxious as nanomachines in MGS4, still got pretty bad. On the plus side, I look forward to "PARASITES, SON" in Metal Gear Rising 2.

The trailers (all of which are amazing) are basically better than the actual story in the game.

Well, I kinda think the advantage of the twist is that it kinda lets the change in character between MGS3+ Big Boss and MG1+2 Big Boss work. You can see a disillusioned Big Boss- but it's really hard to say at the end of MGS3 Big Boss is going to be making his country and using nukes.

I also would rather have just seen the self-contained Skullface/parasites plot rather than any Eli poo poo, with the bad stuff being more undertones than outright stated. Reveal the truth right after killing Skullface and have the end be Venom smashing the tape. I think it would have made mission 22 a lot more foreboding, too.

And drat I wish Mother Base would've been used more for infiltrations. That space is a very welcome difference from the other bits of the game and it would've improved the variety. It would almost have made a world in and of itself- Mother base is huge.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, unfortunately. I kind of understand it because for procure on site to work they have to rework the maps to have something to find, but that shouldn't have taken a lot of effort to fill in for the rest of the missions. Making most of the Extreme missions the boss fights is just stupid though, MGS boss fights are already giant HP walls as it is, so making them more punishing is a recipe for a ruinous slog.

I haven't found anyone with the patience to get 100% overall completion though so I don't know what that unlocks. Teasing a few difficulty modified missions as disguised filler for the missing second half of the story is pretty lame.

I think they could've easily made each map have the option of playing them with different rules, like 100% stealth and procure on site. Mostly because of how samey all the missions really are if you think about it. Every mission is either you kill/extract something OR you extract something.

Man, the more I think about this game the more disappointing it feels.

I really hope Konami goes bankrubt and someone else buys all their IPs. Silent Hills could've been so good and this game could've been absolutely fantastic too.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Well, I kinda think the advantage of the twist is that it kinda lets the change in character between MGS3+ Big Boss and MG1+2 Big Boss work. You can see a disillusioned Big Boss- but it's really hard to say at the end of MGS3 Big Boss is going to be making his country and using nukes.

Doesn't Big Boss commission Zeke to be armed with a Nuke in Peace Walker? I'd say he's already on the road to accepting nuclear deterrents way before MGSV.

Gortarius posted:

I really hope Konami goes bankrubt and someone else buys all their IPs. Silent Hills could've been so good and this game could've been absolutely fantastic too.

Agreed, but I do think MGSV up till the end of the Skullface plot is its own hefty game. With a proper Chapter 2, PLUS MGO it would feel like three whole games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

So was there ever that scene with the guy training the child soldiers from the trailer? The child soldiers seemed like they were more superfluous than intended since there wasn't really a point where Venom Snake deploys them as soldiers or anything even though you could capture them and there was in fact a special fulton to research for them. That, Battle Gear being essentially useless outside of some last minute deploy missions, the one sided conversation with Skullface that turns into awkward silence with MGS5's main theme playing make me think some big big stuff (not just cool stuff like motherbase in-depth customization and events) got a cleaner cut than the missing 'Liquid/Eli flies away like Peter Pan with Psycho Mantis who magically cures him of his parasite ( and who is magnitudes more powerful than their MGS1 for some reason).

More cut content.

More than anything in the game, I want to actually hear an interview from Kojima himself once his contract with Konami is up on just what the hell happened during development. I can make an educated guess given Konami's focus away from video games but still. It really sounds like both parties were at fault, Kojima's ego and publicity stunts eating up the budget while Konami ruled over what would be in the game and cut the budget with an iron fist but we'll probably never know for sure.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gortarius posted:

I think they could've easily made each map have the option of playing them with different rules, like 100% stealth and procure on site. Mostly because of how samey all the missions really are if you think about it. Every mission is either you kill/extract something OR you extract something.

Man, the more I think about this game the more disappointing it feels.

I like the kinda plotless kill/extract these random dude missions more than I like the big story missions because they tend to accomodate your style more whereas if you try to do something like shoot down skullface's chopper in mission 30 Mantis just deflects it because the Plot Must Go On.

In fact Mantis' role in the story seems to be to just Make the Plot Go. It's impossible to discern a character out of him more than Kojima's hand pushing things along.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

More cut content.

More than anything in the game, I want to actually hear an interview from Kojima himself once his contract with Konami is up on just what the hell happened during development. I can make an educated guess given Konami's focus away from video games but still. It really sounds like both parties were at fault, Kojima's ego and publicity stunts eating up the budget while Konami ruled over what would be in the game and cut the budget with an iron fist but we'll probably never know for sure.

Honestly I think having both the plot bridging and the self-contained story was way too much poo poo. The game did need to be cut down, but not piecemeal. It should just have been Chapter 1. It would not have tied in a whole lot, but I don't think TPP needed to tie into the rest of the series, just hint at things.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Mr. Fortitude posted:

More cut content.

I agree, but Konami probably has some sort of perpetual NDA or something to that effect on Kojima.

I also still think Sutherland was a Konami caveat : there's so many places where it would make sense for even just a quick reply or something from Sutherland, yet there's so little dialogue that you can literally tell a chapter is going to have something big when they spring for one of the few Sutherland lines in the game. He's even barren in the tapes. I get that Venom is supposed to be a different person, but it feels like they just got him for 1 day and had to get all his poo poo done that same day and that the story suffered for it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

More cut content.

They probably got tired of the Dev cycle as it is. The trailer with Eli (which wasn't even the first one we saw) was back in 2013. Kojima had a ridiculously ambitious idea for how this game was supposed to go, and he probably got pretty good support until he inevitably told them that after 80 million he still wasn't finished. Most of the work for this game went into the Fox engine, and it shows in the second half of the game. Chapter 2 has a handful of story missions and plot progression.

I'm also super pissed that the truth makes you replay that entire hospital scene.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If there's one thing I wish they had cut it's most of the TRUTH mission. drat it's tedious going through the tutorial parts again just to get to a reveal you probably already figured out.

e;fb, somehow :eyepop:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Given the nature of the similarly interminable design and overambition of MGSIV, I'm much more inclined to lay this at the feet of Kojima than Konami. Huge multisystem structures that can't be completed and are reworked into a final project that barely hangs together. It looks like the budget of the game would've needed to double to include all the cut material, assuming that last mission is technically feasible on consoles as described. The dude is the Lucas of videogames.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 6, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Discendo Vox posted:

Given the nature of the similarly interminable design and overambition of MGSIV, I'm much more inclined to lay this at the feet of Kojima than Konami. Huge multisystem structures that can't be completed and are reworked into a final project that barely hangs together. The dude is the Lucas of yideogames.

Yeah, I think someone a bit more hard-nosed about things would have realized Chapter 2 was something that would have to either be its own game or DLC or something and just focused on making the Skullface thing the best it could be while having a lot of new game+ stuff. I think like in MGS4, Kojima got hung up on making THE LAST MGS.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Panzeh posted:

I like the kinda plotless kill/extract these random dude missions more than I like the big story missions because they tend to accomodate your style more whereas if you try to do something like shoot down skullface's chopper in mission 30 Mantis just deflects it because the Plot Must Go On.

In fact Mantis' role in the story seems to be to just Make the Plot Go. It's impossible to discern a character out of him more than Kojima's hand pushing things along.

Yeah, I like them too, up to a point, but then after a while you start to wonder when are they going to introduce something new to spice it up. I guess they would've introduced something new eventually if they didn't run out of money/time/whatever. Like guards patrolling with dogs which isn't a big stretch considering that you can already get attacked by wild animals. Or flamethrower guys like in MGS3, and again the mechanic seems to be there if you look at Volgin. Taking out a guard and then posing as him to get access to an area. Just stuff they've already done in previous games.

Mantis is such a deus ex machina though, not to mention how lame he and his backstory on the cassette is.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

They probably got tired of the Dev cycle as it is. The trailer with Eli (which wasn't even the first one we saw) was back in 2013. Kojima had a ridiculously ambitious idea for how this game was supposed to go, and he probably got pretty good support until he inevitably told them that after 80 million he still wasn't finished. Most of the work for this game went into the Fox engine, and it shows in the second half of the game. Chapter 2 has a handful of story missions and plot progression.

I'm also super pissed that the truth makes you replay that entire hospital scene.

Apparently the budget for the Fox Engine was completely separate from the $80 million MGS V had. So I do have to question where it was all spent exactly. Just on licensed tracks and Keifer Sutherland? Because I'd happily live without either if it meant getting more of an actual game here.

Edit: As much as I do dislike Konami here, I do kind of have to take their side because $80 million is a lot of money and the game doesn't have as much to show for it as it could. The only real thing I can possibly blame them for is cutting the stuff that really shouldn't have been cut, but not cutting the things that should have been cut. Much like Panzeh said.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 6, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for saying this but, I think this game straight up didn't need to be made. The gameplay is great for the first 20 hours, before you begin to realize how monotonous the missions are and how everything just repeats, but despite that there's a lot to fun to be had so I suppose the game justifies its existence just from that. But there is nothing in this story that really needed to be told which would be fine if it were just a simple revenge story where Big Boss falls to the dark side, but like you said that really doesn't happen. Not even Venom falls to the dark side. Like, as much poo poo as MGS 4 gets it at least ties story threads together albeit in a way many people didn't like. Peace Walker also gave you more insight into the relationship between The Boss and Big Boss and shows the beginning of the formation of Outer Heaven, which again didn't need to be told but at least contributed to the series story. All MGS V does is muddy the story of the other games and make things more confusing than they needed to be, while having nothing much of importance happen during its own game.

This is bad logic to me because you could argue that every game in the series except for Metal Gear Solid 1 and Metal Gear Solid 3 did not need to be made. Instead I'm happy that we did get 2, 4, PW and 5 because they were still fun games that added little bits to the story and some interesting gameplay mechanics, even if they weren't perfect. And of those remaining games I feel like I had the most fun with 5 despite the others telling the better stories.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gortarius posted:

Yeah, I like them too, up to a point, but then after a while you start to wonder when are they going to introduce something new to spice it up. I guess they would've introduced something new eventually if they didn't run out of money/time/whatever. Like guards patrolling with dogs which isn't a big stretch considering that you can already get attacked by wild animals. Or flamethrower guys like in MGS3, and again the mechanic seems to be there if you look at Volgin. Taking out a guard and then posing as him to get access to an area. Just stuff they've already done in previous games.

Mantis is such a deus ex machina though, not to mention how lame he and his backstory on the cassette is.

The game does get way harder- cameras with guns show up, guards start shooting fultons(though you get the fulton portal that just trivializes things), guards call the alarm when they see sleeping brethren later on and carry better weapons and more rockets.

I thought for a bit that the part where you drive with Skullface was gonna be the traditional MGS 'get captured and escape' but that usually comes about halfway-2/3 through the plot, but nope, Skullface just takes a big ol dump on you right before he dies. The end of Chapter 1 felt rushed because Kojima wanted to get to the Real Story.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

This is bad logic to me because you could argue that every game in the series except for Metal Gear Solid 1 and Metal Gear Solid 3 did not need to be made. Instead I'm happy that we did get 2, 4, PW and 5 because they were still fun games that added little bits to the story and some interesting gameplay mechanics, even if they weren't perfect. And of those remaining games I feel like I had the most fun with 5 despite the others telling the better stories.

The series was always supposed to end on 2. 3 was only made because Kojima felt his team were having difficulties making 3, so he made a prequel to sidestep having to explain anything from 2 and intended it to be the last game in the series. Then he got death threats from crazy people so he made 4 as fanservice-y as possible in an attempt to please everyone and then write up any loose ends.

Peace Walker and V's existence is because he wanted to make them. Peace Walker was even supposed to be the actual Metal Gear Solid 5, but he took over because he wanted to make a game his kids would enjoy, hence the switch to handheld. But even Peace Walker would be a fine ending for the series, but he moved on with V for whatever reason. And V just opens up way too many loose ends while having absolutely nothing important happen in the game itself in the grand scheme of things. The gameplay is good, but not good enough to carry the whole game and considering Kojima won't be able to make any more Metal Gear games after this, it kind of ends things on a sour note for me.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Apparently the budget for the Fox Engine was completely separate from the $80 million MGS V had. So I do have to question where it was all spent exactly. Just on licensed tracks and Keifer Sutherland? Because I'd happily live without either if it meant getting more of an actual game here.

Edit: As much as I do dislike Konami here, I do kind of have to take their side because $80 million is a lot of money and the game doesn't have as much to show for it as it could. The only real thing I can possibly blame them for is cutting the stuff that really shouldn't have been cut, but not cutting the things that should have been cut. Much like Panzeh said.

They've already managed to sell 3 million units in less than a full week at full price. Even with whatever reduction in profit they get from the retailer's cut, they're sure to be profiting already.

It's not like they can simply go "pachinko machines and ios/android games make the most money because of the low cost of development vs the high rate of return, lets put it all in that", because it'd be like when THQ put all their production on 360/PS3 versions of that lovely drawing pad that was a success on Wii and they'd lose a bunch of money because just dumping all your development budget on one thing doesn't always jive. Has a single Metal Gear Solid game (or even some of the spinoffs) managed to not turn a profit?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

They've already managed to sell 3 million units in less than a full week at full price. Even with whatever reduction in profit they get from the retailer's cut, they're sure to be profiting already.

It's not like they can simply go "pachinko machines and ios/android games make the most money because of the low cost of development vs the high rate of return, lets put it all in that", because it'd be like when THQ put all their production on 360/PS3 versions of that lovely drawing pad that was a success on Wii and they'd lose a bunch of money because just dumping all your development budget on one thing doesn't always jive. Has a single Metal Gear Solid game (or even some of the spinoffs) managed to not turn a profit?

They shipped 3 million units, doesn't mean they've sold them. We don't know how well it'll sell until a bit later in the month.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They shipped 3 million units, doesn't mean they've sold them. We don't know how well it'll sell until a bit later in the month.

Woops, forgot about the shipped/sold distinction. I mean it's not a game like DmC where it'll sit on shelves forever, but it's still worth a major mention, my bad.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Question regarding strangelove In the last tape of the AI pod (Which was really REALLY DEPRESSING) she mentions leaving an egg in the code of the AI they used, what was that reference to?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

lovely Wizard posted:

I think the problem is letting Kojima do Everything he wanted or thought he had to do with MGS5 would have resulted in a Duke Nukem Forever/The Bureau-style development hell.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Panzeh posted:

The game does get way harder- cameras with guns show up, guards start shooting fultons(though you get the fulton portal that just trivializes things), guards call the alarm when they see sleeping brethren later on and carry better weapons and more rockets.

Speaking of cameras, one thing that struck me was how rare surveillance cameras were. I think they only show up in actual missions and, because they're only in bases, I think I saw less than five throughout the entire game.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

How do I get the Paz ending to unlock? Already given her 10 photos and there's no room for any more wandering quests.

edit: nevermind, found the photo outside in the hallway

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The series was always supposed to end on 2. 3 was only made because Kojima felt his team were having difficulties making 3, so he made a prequel to sidestep having to explain anything from 2 and intended it to be the last game in the series. Then he got death threats from crazy people so he made 4 as fanservice-y as possible in an attempt to please everyone and then write up any loose ends.

Peace Walker and V's existence is because he wanted to make them. Peace Walker was even supposed to be the actual Metal Gear Solid 5, but he took over because he wanted to make a game his kids would enjoy, hence the switch to handheld. But even Peace Walker would be a fine ending for the series, but he moved on with V for whatever reason. And V just opens up way too many loose ends while having absolutely nothing important happen in the game itself in the grand scheme of things. The gameplay is good, but not good enough to carry the whole game and considering Kojima won't be able to make any more Metal Gear games after this, it kind of ends things on a sour note for me.

I'm not talking about the actual timeline of the games being made or Kojima's intentions. I'm talking strictly just about what each game added to the series and how they hold up as video games, the only ones that should have been made are 1 and 3 if you're nitpicking them to hell and back. All the important stories and characters and boss battles and everything else that defines the greatest aspects of the franchise can be found in those two games. All the other stuff from the other games paled in comparison. But they were fun to play and watch so I'm happy Kojima made them.

Saying things like MGS5 "did not need to be made" or "the gameplay is good, but not good enough" is lunacy. You're saying you would have preferred this past week if you had no new MGS game to play at all instead of a slightly imperfect fun game. Maybe if Kojima had a few more years with the game and an unlimited budget MGS5 could have been another hallmark in the series like 1 & 3, but for now I'm very happy that it was as good as the other less notable entries in the series. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

The gameplay of this game is really fun but the problem for me seriously lies in the writing.

All the characters are poo poo and the Plot is a clogged public toilet.

- Miller spends the whole game in a fury over Skull Face and then tells me I should go for an armed escort ride with him right into the jaws of his superweapon. He also refuses to set up any kind of base defense and is really cheese dicking that missing arm and leg when we got Snake a spare robot arm attached on the loving boat ride over to Afghanistan with literally no staff to speak of. Hideo dropped the ball with not giving the man with the ocean fortress a peg leg at least. He won't shut the gently caress up about killing everyone I loving see and absolutely falls in love with a child that couldn't be more emo if he had a Requiem for a Dream VHS tape shoved up his rear end.

- Quiet is hated by the staff because "She tried to kill me and might be working for Cipher" when all of them have tried to kill me including Ocelot and most were employed by Cipher? Also who the gently caress bullies a psychotic super soldier? Also the second we gain the information that language is triggering parasite death and no one says a loving word about "well hey we got this girl that doesn't say a word I wonder why?" instead we continue to interrogate her after like 5 big rear end giveaways are pointing at her as the source of the third strain.

- Ocelot is still being loving Ocelot.

- Emerich literally has no reason to be kept alive. Each time he gives information it is worthless and we still don't kill him for it. Why the gently caress do I need a Battle Gear? Sahlanthrwhateverthefuck was totally not in that base why are we interrogating him I loving saw it moved into the hanger in another base myself. I have killed thousands of people in this game but we can't kill the guy we are sure had a hand in destroying the MSF mother base and all it's staff? He doesn't even move the story at all because he keeps saying poo poo that is total wrong.

- Skull Face doesn't make any loving sense after going off the grid in his own super secret intelligence agency to make a strain of a language virus to kill everyone and somehow has agents with him in droves that are totally down with this. He shows up in places that make no loving sense for the storyline (Like hanging out at the site of a missing worthless rocket launcher that has nothing to do with anything)(Like hanging out at a parasite cultivation house that ISN'T the one he was running to make a English strain and literally killing dying people) and is never seen in places where it would make sense for him to show up (Like one of the 20 different arms deals you are tasked to break up that he was the main broker for). Instead he goes off on some loving tangent about being Zoro Skeletor and hating everyone especially the ones he works for even though they make it clear the whole loving purpose of Ground Zero storyline was he got Zero's (The leader of Cipher) loving home address and was off to kill his rear end but somehow nine years later he is still looking for Patriots to kill even though he had total reign over the whole operation. He then dies because some loving emo was in a helicopter nearby for some loving reason (Normally you just respond to poo poo in metal gear games with "Nanomachines, that's why" but this garbage made zero sense.

- Eli is a sociopath we keep unguarded at the base so he can bully black kids and attempt to murder the leader of the Diamond Dogs in his own home. They just watch this kid do this and just take a poo poo into any credibility the organization had left after leaving a one armed man to hold one to the ball. He somehow stows away on a helicopter with his biggest loving fan cutting me some tale about how "We didn't find him in this one loving compartment until it was too late because I am personally coming to a combat zone while missing half my loving limbs and I brought Emerich because I don't know what the gently caress I am doing anymore". Hideo was just all gently caress it with this one. Yeah I totally ran into Kiddie Liquid when dicking around in Africa because Cipher abandons their billion dollar perfect soldiers for some loving reason so he can run wild and form a child army and run into Big Boss, oh wait no that wasn't anyone's plan. He was just loving there because "BROTHERRRRRRRR". Raiden would have been a far better run in here because of all the African child soldier background he keeps spinning in the series, but no the dates are all hosed to poo poo and he would have been like two years old and up Solidus's rear end which would have made for better writing fodder than this bullshit.

- Volgin (AKA Man on Fire) is the guy that got hit by lightning and had his bandolier explode into himself as well as being shot by Big Boss a billion times in Snake Eater. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcTERFXwOKo) This is the guy you write into this poo poo? The guy they never clarified how the gently caress he controlled electricity? Now he is somehow is a zombie psychokinetic? They have been making up super crazy super villians all over Metal Gear storyline and yet instead of making a new one they settled with a pointless reference to a guy from Snake Eater that died gloriously for another no loving reason. He is not killed in the boss fight encounter at the language parasite house even though it would have made a gently caress ton more sense instead he walks into Metals Gear's rail track and dies somehow without any water involved and leaves a corpse that was not there in the cutscene and somehow the Diamond Dogs left behind after they secured the area post Metal Gear fight. Then we get to see his corpse laid out in the middle of "Why did they just drop his loving body here" Russian supply base only to come back to life for a few seconds with a fiery unicorn in true Metal Gear hosed up boss form and just loving die again with no boss fight right there. Snake's addiction to bringing things back to mother base that are massive security risks with no gain or reason gets the better of him as he balloon's the man the storyline has diagnosed dead multiple times but is never actually dead back to the place where all his fuckup proven failures of base security Headquarters of his entire operation is. It should also be noted that the entire reason they state this man is still alive from the start of the game is because of his hatred for Snake but Eli won the psychic hate war as he was flying by in a helicopter above the underground base which caused whatever the gently caress happened there to just poo poo the bed.

- Metal Gear Sahelanthropus is a giant robot that was supposed to be controlled by some loving animal brain AI that is now being controlled by a psychic child I think is in the game but can't be sure. Upon multiple games and people saying that this Metal Gear will cause World War 3 if it is discovered to exist it is decided that this robot should be displayed as a trophy in the base of mickey mouse security because "We totally broke it this time even though we have no idea how it turned on the last two times" and "The men need to see this loving thing as a trophy of how awesome Snake is for powering it down with rocket fire and not breaking literally anything on it in the process". This Metal Gear is made out of unobtainium as it took hits from gatling guns, rockets, tank shells and resisted the rust parasite storm that was completely unrelated to the giant walking robot that was built by the Soviet Union and Huey with no knowledge of what the gently caress the parasites even were. Burned Doctor Farnsworth needed control over this robot because he required at lest five doomsday devices before he would consider ending the world. He was very surprised when he took Snake on a romantic taxi ride to go see it "not loving move" that it just "started loving moving".

- "Maybe Psycho Mantis" is a maguffin that is so loving huge he could blot out the sun in this story and not a single loving character can see him. In small passing references he is noted as "That boy" even though he is literally the train that this poo poo plot is riding. Appearing in every single instance of actual story in the game he is not mentioned as a threat by any Diamond Dog Senior staff for the entirety of the game. He controls Zombie Fire Man, Parasites and Metal Gears blatantly as possible. I can't even put into words how you can write this thing into a story and at the same time have everyone else ignore it's existence.

- Code Talker is some guy that decided one day to develop a parasite for loving everything to the theme of death and was SHOCKED that some spy agency came by and took them from him. I can't think of a possible positive application for a vocal cord parasite that kills people based their language, a parasite cloud that instantly rusts metal and poo poo enriched weaponized uranium, and a literal loving Resident Evil T-Virus on psychic steroids. But when you get to this guy turns on the waterworks with this whole "I got robbed" spheel and the DD staff is so loving weapon horny they didn't ask why the gently caress would you make something like this but instead pocket another questionable mad scientist to their roster because this one makes bio weapons and that is super cool. As a bonus for recruiting the African Navajo Indian they get to use the man's cure for his virus that makes everyone in an organization based on firearms ironically shoot blanks for another no loving reason. Great writing!

The story of the game sat heavily on the events of a PSP game that I wasn't aware would become so loving important seeing as it wasn't part of the main "Numbered Metal Gear Solid" games. With the real ending making me wonder why the gently caress is this the story he wanted to end on. I could have easily have enjoyed this game far more if they cut out the entire story and just added another zone with countless challenge missions and side ops and the second you 100% completed the game Solid Snake invades your mother base and loving kills you with a spraycan fire. Who knows maybe he had this super great story somewhere and Konami went and told him no and cut his budget or some poo poo. Regardless this game is a great end to Hideo's reign on the Metal Gear series because anything past this would kill him from all the accrued micro strokes he had writing this one. Thanks for making a super fun game Hideo it's too bad I didn't like the story parts of it.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Speaking of cameras, one thing that struck me was how rare surveillance cameras were. I think they only show up in actual missions and, because they're only in bases, I think I saw less than five throughout the entire game.

My favorite was I only saw one guncam in the game. But I saw them on Total Stealth: The War Economy. Which is kinda loving dumb because if they're gonna shoot me the mission is already over.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm not talking about the actual timeline of the games being made or Kojima's intentions. I'm talking strictly just about what each game added to the series and how they hold up as video games, the only ones that should have been made are 1 and 3 if you're nitpicking them to hell and back. All the important stories and characters and boss battles and everything else that defines the greatest aspects of the franchise can be found in those two games. All the other stuff from the other games paled in comparison. But they were fun to play and watch so I'm happy Kojima made them.

Saying things like MGS5 "did not need to be made" or "the gameplay is good, but not good enough" is lunacy. You're saying you would have preferred this past week if you had no new MGS game to play at all instead of a slightly imperfect fun game. Maybe if Kojima had a few more years with the game and an unlimited budget MGS5 could have been another hallmark in the series like 1 & 3, but for now I'm very happy that it was as good as the other less notable entries in the series. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I'd rather have had a complete game than a frustratingly incomplete one which just leaves you wanting more which you'll never get and leaves you feeling like you kind of wasted your time at the end, yeah.

EDIT:

Drinkfist posted:

Skull Face doesn't make any loving sense after going off the grid in his own super secret intelligence agency to make a strain of a language virus to kill everyone and somehow has agents with him in droves that are totally down with this. He shows up in places that make no loving sense for the storyline (Like hanging out at the site of a missing worthless rocket launcher that has nothing to do with anything)(Like hanging out at a parasite cultivation house that ISN'T the one he was running to make a English strain and literally killing dying people) and is never seen in places where it would make sense for him to show up (Like one of the 20 different arms deals you are tasked to break up that he was the main broker for). Instead he goes off on some loving tangent about being Zoro Skeletor and hating everyone especially the ones he works for even though they make it clear the whole loving purpose of Ground Zero storyline was he got Zero's (The leader of Cipher) loving home address and was off to kill his rear end but somehow nine years later he is still looking for Patriots to kill even though he had total reign over the whole operation. He then dies because some loving emo was in a helicopter nearby for some loving reason (Normally you just respond to poo poo in metal gear games with "Nanomachines, that's why" but this garbage made zero sense.

Skull Face's master plan completely falls apart when you realize that writing exists and so does body language and the parasites can't do anything for those. For that matter, why couldn't Quiet just write to Venom? Why does everyone need to talk?

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 6, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

:golfclap:

I fully agree- the writing on display here almost makes me miss MGSIV, where everyone's motives were explained, even if it took 5 hours per.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Wait, so was the story reason for Quiet not using the sterilize the user but make the parasite a female poo poo treatment from the wolbachia explained? I'm keeping Quiet alive by keeping her buddy rank low (and will use the butterfly emblem when needed), so I'm not sure if there's a reason where it's explained.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd rather have had a complete game than a frustratingly incomplete one which just leaves you wanting more which you'll never get
The first half of this is fine and I can agree on, but this part

Mr. Fortitude posted:

and leaves you feeling like you kind of wasted your time at the end, yeah.
is where you come off like a baby. You said yourself that you had fun for 30 hours. It's fine to be disappointed with the ending and the story, I was too, but MGS5 is a fine game and a great addition to the series. If you're that hung up on the story that you wish you hadn't played anything at all is why video gamers are dumb and deserve the bad reputation they get.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

Wait, so was the story reason for Quiet not using the sterilize the user but make the parasite a female poo poo treatment from the wolbachia explained? I'm keeping Quiet alive by keeping her buddy rank low (and will use the butterfly emblem when needed), so I'm not sure if there's a reason where it's explained.

It's explained in the mission you are trying to avoid She couldn't reconcile her need for vengance and admiration for boss, so she didn't want to speak english to infect him but also didn't want to nullify her chance at revenge

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

lovely Wizard posted:

Code Talker says she avoided the treatment because she still maintains a desire for vengeance against Venom that she kinda maybe wants to act on possibly. It's not a good justification.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Code Talker says she avoided the treatment because she still maintains a desire for vengeance against Venom that she kinda maybe wants to act on possibly. It's not a good justification.

Stormgale posted:

It's explained in the mission you are trying to avoid She couldn't reconcile her need for vengance and admiration for boss, so she didn't want to speak english to infect him but also didn't want to nullify her chance at revenge

Considering the amount of ways she could kill Venom Snake when his back is turned, it feels like they wanted to have her sacrifice herself, but couldn't think of a way that fit into whatever they cut out of the story.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think the argument is it was her best weapon as well, he did beat her in a sniper duel that was basically her playground and it was something she could use even if conflicted about it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The Metal Gear Solid V TPP Entitled Bitching and Moaning Thread

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Can we all at least agree the Quiet fight was rad as hell anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Can we all at least agree the Quiet fight was rad as hell anyway?

every sniper fighter in mgs has been fun as heck

• Locked thread