Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Are you arguing that lane splitting at 55+ is safe or smart?

No, I'm arguing that the dumb idiot who wrote this article didn't die in the accident, forcing us to read this awful attempt at a blame game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

No, I'm arguing that the dumb idiot who wrote this article didn't die in the accident, forcing us to read this awful attempt at a blame game.

Wow, what incredible insight. The author wasn't dead before they wrote a post? :rolleyes:

You say its a "blame game" but admit the biker was acting unsafe...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Wow, what incredible insight. The author wasn't dead before they wrote a post? :rolleyes:

You say its a "blame game" but admit the biker was acting unsafe...

Oh no, someone hates an XOJane article, better go write an article for them!

"It happened to me... I was hated for liking XOJane."

EDIT: besides the fact that the article sounds fake at some points. What kind of police officer tells people that something is going to be on the ballot? :psyduck:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 5, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, regardless of if some of us have irrational haterade of XOJane, splitting lanes at 55 mph is dumb as poo poo. And there are a lot of dumb as poo poo bike riders.

Edit: it would be lame if idiots splitting lanes at the speed limit caused backlash against the safe and useful splitting lanes in heavy traffic.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 5, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, regardless of if some of us have irrational haterade of XOJane, splitting lanes at 55 mph is dumb as poo poo. And there are a lot of dumb as poo poo bike riders.

Edit: it would be lame if idiots splitting lanes at the speed limit caused backlash against the safe and useful splitting lanes in heavy traffic.

When XOJane posts articles like "It Happened to Me: I was gluten-shamed at the liqour store" you tend to regard them as mindless dribble.

Again, high-speed lane splitting is bad. Writing about it to XOJane to drum up more scare-mongering tactics (notice how she says "all lane splitting is bad", not just high-speed?) is worse.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Oh no, someone hates an XOJane article, better go write an article for them!

"It happened to me... I was hated for liking XOJane."

EDIT: besides the fact that the article sounds fake at some points. What kind of police officer tells people that something is going to be on the ballot? :psyduck:

Why, if your car is necessary for you to work and you aren't loaded with cash, would you not have collision on your insurance? Even if the other driver had stopped, in the absence of any proof or admission of fault on the part of the biker her insurance isn't going to pay out anyway since lane splitting is legal (regardless of how dumb or not it may be).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
The obvious solution is to just hit the bikers I guess.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FRINGE posted:

The obvious solution is to just hit the bikers I guess.

Why is it that people turn into angry lunatics in cars, anyway? I mean, when some biker zips past in between me and the car next to me, the only danger is that I'm zoned out thinking about why my overweight wife is cheating on me as I listen to the sports animal on the radio, and a sudden reminder of the world outside might shock me into making a mistake driving the 3000lb vehicle I'm in, which would still be my fault. Anyone wanting to outlaw lane-splitting is just pissed off that other people are getting to places faster than them. It's a weird, bitter position just like everything else about car culture.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

doctorfrog posted:

Just more video fuel for the angry-about-dumb-farming fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh90Tm_TH1Y

I recently drove to LA along the 5, and you still see those signs: CONGRESS-CREATED DUST BOWL.

"Almost all the rice that is grown in california is grown with flood irrigation. We're really talking 19th, 20th century technology here."

Good job guy. That's like saying the wheel was invented in "gently caress it, I don't know, the 1930s or something." It's like this whole video was made by people driving back from Tahoe in their audi and saw some standing water.It's clear that the government has to regulate the water, though...but I'm sure there are still reasons to do flood irrigation in actual flood plains in the central valley, given there is always going to be runoff. ...

I've been watching a bunch of weird farm vids on youtube because of it though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1APRbA4yE

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

Why is it that people turn into angry lunatics in cars, anyway? I mean, when some biker zips past in between me and the car next to me, the only danger is that I'm zoned out thinking about why my overweight wife is cheating on me as I listen to the sports animal on the radio, and a sudden reminder of the world outside might shock me into making a mistake driving the 3000lb vehicle I'm in, which would still be my fault.

A car is making a lane transition, doesn't see that the cyclist is using the road because its in the car's blindspot, and the car runs over the bike.

That's your danger, among others.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

A car is making a lane transition, doesn't see that the cyclist is using the road because its in the car's blindspot, and the car runs over the bike.

I guess any time I run over anything on the road it's not my fault. "Because it's in the car's blindspot" was never a valid excuse for causing an accident, that's why you need to overcome all those goon neckfat rolls and turn your actual head and look around you while operating the massive motor vehicle you're in.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

TildeATH posted:

Why is it that people turn into angry lunatics in cars, anyway? I mean, when some biker zips past in between me and the car next to me, the only danger is that I'm zoned out thinking about why my overweight wife is cheating on me as I listen to the sports animal on the radio, and a sudden reminder of the world outside might shock me into making a mistake driving the 3000lb vehicle I'm in, which would still be my fault. Anyone wanting to outlaw lane-splitting is just pissed off that other people are getting to places faster than them. It's a weird, bitter position just like everything else about car culture.
Its funny that you think that the average car commuter is an "angry lunatic" and the motorcycle riders are are not.

The only time anyone has pulled up beside me on the freeway, looked into my vehicle, and then punched out my passenger mirror was a motorcycle rider on the 405, who then sped away between the rest of the patient drivers slowly rolling along at the pace of the traffic.

My obvious solution to deal with this "no proof, no fault, act of god" mirror explosion would have been to jerk my vehicle to the right and knock the aggressor off his bike I guess. Too bad I didnt immediately decide "today is the day I kill a dangerous biker". :rolleyes:

When I left CA it became very obvious how much more civil (on the road) motorcyclists are in (at least some) other states.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FRINGE posted:

Its funny that you think that the average car commuter is an "angry lunatic" and the motorcycle riders are are not.

The only time anyone has pulled up beside me on the freeway, looked into my vehicle, and then punched out my passenger mirror was a motorcycle rider on the 405, who then sped away between the rest of the patient drivers slowly rolling along at the pace of the traffic.

My obvious solution to deal with this "no proof, no fault, act of god" mirror explosion would have been to jerk my vehicle to the right and knock the aggressor off his bike I guess. Too bad I didnt immediately decide "today is the day I kill a dangerous biker". :rolleyes:

When I left CA it became very obvious how much more civil (on the road) motorcyclists are in (at least some) other states.

This is a bingo card of latent automobile psychosis. First off, I love that this biker punched your window "for no reason". I'm sure he was just infected with the rage virus because, LOL motorcycle operators are evil. Second, you're on the 405, which means you're already neck fat deep in the worst most toxic car culture on the face of the earth. Third, you refer to other patient drivers rolling along at the pace of traffic, which is just, I mean, :psyduck: this has never been the case on any freeway anywhere come on.

But keep having fantasies about physically injuring other commuters, that's cool and not at all damaging to your description of events or your case to stop evil bikers from riding between you and the fat schlub in the SUV next to you.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

TildeATH posted:

This is a bingo card of latent automobile psychosis.
Youre trying too hard.

edit: Lol. "The happy enlightened motorcycle rider physically attacked another drivers vehicle because they deserved it."

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

FRINGE posted:

Youre trying too hard.

edit: Lol. "The happy enlightened motorcycle rider physically attacked another drivers vehicle because they deserved it."
So a motorcycle rider just drove up to you, glared at you while punching out your side mirror and then drove off because reasons?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

cheese posted:

So a motorcycle rider just drove up to you, glared at you while punching out your side mirror and then drove off because reasons?
Literally yes. The entire ocean of cars was doing less than 15mph, I was in a large work vehicle that was listlessly cruising along, and I had not changed lanes for quite a while (whats the point on the 405 during commuter traffic?).

The only thing I could clearly identify was the blue mohawk glued onto the shitheads helmet.

As a tangent: its funny that the angry-motorcycle poster keeps talking about fat people in cars, implying that non-fat people ride motorcycles. They have obviously never lived anywhere that had a lot of biker gangs motorcycle enthusiasts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FRINGE posted:

They have obviously never lived anywhere that had a lot of biker gangs motorcycle enthusiasts.
San Diego traffic is nonexistent most of the time. So maybe the psycho biker was on their way to a Kkklantee meeting.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

San Diego traffic is nonexistent most of the time. So maybe the psycho biker was on their way to a Kkklantee meeting.

The LA stretch of the 405 is Traffic Eternal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FRINGE posted:

The LA stretch of the 405 is Traffic Eternal.
Pretty much any freeway in LA is a shithole, but the 405 is a special mobster all its own.

Also the False Flag article upbthere mentioned the 805, which gets like a mole or three of traffic due to a hosed up interchange.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For the 405 I've only taken it north to Reseda and down to Wilshire. Are there other spots on it as bad as the first few miles after 101 interchange or is that about it for bad slogs?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

For the 405 I've only taken it north to Reseda and down to Wilshire. Are there other spots on it as bad as the first few miles after 101 interchange or is that about it for bad slogs?

Going north from LAX towards the 10 in the mornings can be insane.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Pretty much everything from Marina del Rey to the 101 is a nightmare during (at least) sunlit hours.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Burritos should contain neither rice, nor potatoes, as the starch component is provided by the tortilla.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kenning posted:

Burritos should contain neither rice, nor potatoes, as the starch component is provided by the tortilla.

You're right. I ordered a breakfast burrito off a truck and was happily eating it until I found little chunks of potato in it, and I felt cheated and violated and let down by the system.

FRINGE posted:

As a tangent: its funny that the angry-motorcycle poster keeps talking about fat people in cars, implying that non-fat people ride motorcycles. They have obviously never lived anywhere that had a lot of biker gangs motorcycle enthusiasts.

Hey where did you move where they kept bikers in line?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kenning posted:

Burritos are lots of things to many people however the Del Taco bean and cheese burrito might just be the best burrito.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

TildeATH posted:

You're right. I ordered a breakfast burrito off a truck and was happily eating it until I found little chunks of potato in it, and I felt cheated and violated and let down by the system.

Hey where did you move where they kept bikers in line?

Probably literally anywhere else, CA motorcyclists are completely loving nuts- the only other time I see similar behavior is watching russian dashcam videos.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think it's antsy lane-changing car drivers that feel they have the gift of traffic-fu that bug me more than lane-splitting motorcyclists. Dude, you just passed me five minutes ago and now you're behind me again, what clearer indication can you get that you're not reading the matrix code of the highway?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

doctorfrog posted:

I think it's antsy lane-changing car drivers that feel they have the gift of traffic-fu that bug me more than lane-splitting motorcyclists. Dude, you just passed me five minutes ago and now you're behind me again, what clearer indication can you get that you're not reading the matrix code of the highway?

I honestly don't mind it at all. I rarely if ever see it outside of rush hour-type traffic, and the cyclists I've seen doing it are fairly methodical - ie they're not blowing through at 65 MPH. If they can do it, and they're careful when they do it, who cares?

Besides, all of my road rage will forever be fueled by the never-ending font of chucklefucks who don't understand how to operate their turn signals. :argh:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Sydin posted:

Besides, all of my road rage will forever be fueled by the never-ending font of chucklefucks who don't understand how to operate their turn signals. :argh:

I want to know how this is even possible. When I lived in Idaho we joked about CA drivers, but now that I live here, it isn't funny. You have so many cars, and no one uses their drat turn signal.
I seriously don't get it. Use your drat signal you loving moron, there are 5 people trying to get in that lane, let us know your intentions so we don't all crash into each other.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Pohl posted:

I want to know how this is even possible. When I lived in Idaho we joked about CA drivers, but now that I live here, it isn't funny. You have so many cars, and no one uses their drat turn signal.
I seriously don't get it. Use your drat signal you loving moron, there are 5 people trying to get in that lane, let us know your intentions so we don't all crash into each other.

People will speed up to prevent you from getting in front of them.

andamac
Jan 25, 2004

Two buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store.
Another day another drought story.

Feds scramble to avoid another mass salmon die-off in the Sacramento River

quote:

A year ago, California lost nearly an entire generation of endangered salmon because the water releases from Shasta Dam flowed out warmer than federal models had predicted. Thousands of salmon eggs and newly hatched fry baked to death in a narrow stretch of the Sacramento River near Redding that for decades has served as the primary spawning ground for winter-run Chinook salmon.

Earlier this year, federal scientists believed they had modeled a new strategy to avoid a similar die-off, only to realize their temperature monitoring equipment had failed and Shasta’s waters once again were warming faster than anticipated.

In the months since, in what is essentially an emergency workaround, they’ve revised course, sharply curtailing flows out of Shasta. The hope is that they reserve enough of the reservoir’s deep, cold water pool to sustain this year’s juvenile winter-run Chinook. But it’s meant sacrificing water deliveries to hundreds of Central Valley farmers who planted crops in expectation of bigger releases; and draining Folsom reservoir – the source of drinking water for much of suburban Sacramento – to near-historic lows to keep salt water from intruding on the Delta downstream.

In spite of all this, another generation of wild winter-run Chinook salmon could very well die.

“We believe that we are on track,” said bureau spokesman Shane Hunt. “We are sitting in a much better place today than we were a year ago today.”

Several biologists interviewed remain dubious. They note that preserving more cold water in Shasta has meant many stretches of the Sacramento River are warmer than they were last year. They worry that salmon eggs and fry will still die – only gradually instead of suddenly.

“We stand a pretty good chance of losing the wild cohort again this year, like we did last year,” said Peter Moyle, a UC Davis researcher and one of the nation’s leading fisheries biologists. “If we get lucky some of those fish will survive. We’re definitely pushing the population to its limits.”

Agricultural leaders, meanwhile, say there’s good reason to suspect the government models will again prove flawed and the fish will die despite the sacrifices farmers have made.

Rep. Jim Costa, a Democrat and third-generation farmer who represents a wide swath of the San Joaquin Valley, is among those who think there’s a good chance farmers have been punished for no benefit to the fish.

“That begs the question: What are we accomplishing?” Costa said. “We are in extreme drought conditions. ... The water districts that I represent in the San Joaquin Valley have had a zero – zero – water allocation. ... Over half a million acres have been fallowed ... It just seems to defy common sense and logic.”

Some members of California’s fisheries industry also have lost confidence in the bureau, arguing the government has badly mismanaged its rivers. Beyond the very existence of a wild population of fish, they say, the government is risking millions of dollars for California’s economy and hundreds of fishing jobs – and a key source of locally caught seafood for markets and restaurants.

"Not being a huge fan of Bureau of Reclamation" is probably one of the few common grounds shared by water-interested groups.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Farmers are losing water so we can protect some fish.

Good. gently caress California Ag.

andamac
Jan 25, 2004

Two buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store.
Except it's not protecting the fish.

(E: If anyone out there fishes recreationally for king salmon go get them while the getting's still good, because next year's returning class will be the first heavily affected by this drought. If they're not going to be able to reproduce anyways 'cause Reclamation can't buy a back-up temp gauge, you may as well eat them.)

andamac fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 6, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Farmers are losing water so we can protect some fish.

Good. gently caress California Ag.

This sort of attitude is cool among a certain crowd, but isn't productive at all.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Some good news : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-04/university-of-california-endowment-returns-7-2-in-2015 .

Anyone else get affected by this? My fellowship got doubled because the department will have more funding than they anticipated . Maybe grad school was a good decision.:unsmith:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

themrguy posted:

Some good news : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-04/university-of-california-endowment-returns-7-2-in-2015 .

Anyone else get affected by this? My fellowship got doubled because the department will have more funding than they anticipated . Maybe grad school was a good decision.:unsmith:

quote:

The endowment is managed by Jagdeep Singh Bachher, who joined the university in 2014
Oh they got rid of the guy that was cross-laundering the UC money through his private colleges and suddenly the fund is better? Huh.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Isn't Feinstein's husband and owner of ITT Tech still a UC Regent?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Litany Unheard posted:

That sounds like RAISING TAXES on HARDWORKING FAMILY FARMERS.

It seems a lot of problems come to this dead-end. How do we fix -this-?

E: probably has something to do with solving stuff like this, first.

cheese posted:

This is their subconscious mind trying to shield them from realizing that there were viable alternatives to them spending 5 hours a day in a car on a jammed freeway for the last 30 years of their lives. The psychological trauma from fully comprehending that they need not have missed their kids growing up could be devastating.

Armani fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 6, 2015

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Armani posted:

It seems a lot of problems come to this dead-end. How do we fix -this-?

The problem is a cultural one. You have to change the image that comes up in most peoples' heads when you say the word "farmer" from the idealized hardworking, rural farmer working his little plot of land from dusk till dawn to the more modern machine run mega farm owned by big agribusiness. That's not an easy thing to do, for a few reasons:

1. The majority of our population lives clustered around urban centers, so they don't readily see the realities of modern agriculture. Out of sight, out of mind.
2. The down to earth, hard working American we idolize so much in this culture was modeled after farmers in the first place.
3. Agribusiness is well aware of this stereotype and how much it benefits them, so they're going to fight tooth and nail and pour all of the money they can into keeping it alive and well.

Also not to mention that rural communities are overwhelmingly Republican strongholds, so you're rarely if ever going to see conservatives back anything that could disrupt that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bip Roberts posted:

Burritos are lots of things to many people however the Del Taco bean and cheese burrito might just be the best burrito.

This is horrifying on so many levels. Granted, I'm spoiled as all get out when it comes to burritos given how often I visit San Diego.