Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Pulled the trigger on a ZenFone 2. Any good diztronic alternatives (that shop to Canada)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

vyst posted:

Get a sms app with a different emoji set. I know textra has ios emojis

They actually just had to remove the iOS emojis for reasons but they have a pretty much identical flat version

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My nexus 5 power button has started acting up, and now with the new phones announced, the original nexus 6 has fallen to a great price.

What's the baddest rear end most durable case I can get for it? Seems like the goon on the last page was kind of an outlier, the phone in the right case should be pretty resilient right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've had it in a spigen slim armor case both times which is obviously doing a lot of good. Both have been <2ft falls.

Stop dropping your phone. Problem solved.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

grack posted:

Stop dropping your phone. Problem solved.

grack posted:

Grip tape would help with this issue.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I've finally decided that I'm just gonna get an LG G4 new from T-Mobile (thus giving the Moto G to my wife), since it's on sale right now. I went and used one in the store today (didn't buy it) and it honestly seems a lot better than my Note 4 even was, camera/screen/UI etc.

Only thing holding me back is that I read about pretty widespread touchscreen issues, can anybody with a G4 (or just somebody who knows) confirm that this is widespread as an issue as it seems? I really liked the one I used in the store and it didn't seem to have any problems, but then again of course it wouldn't.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Simple Simon posted:

So recently switched to android from iOS but the main thing that is bugging me right now is the emoji. They look weird as gently caress.
What can one do?

Honestly I like the Android emoji set better than the iOS emoji set. The iOS set looks overdesigned and awful (I particularly dislike the faces and the way everything's shiny).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The iOS emoji look like possessed demonic dolls that have just spotted their next victim

On the other hand Google turned the sulky santa into a slightly happy santa which was a huge mistake

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've decided to fire up WiFi Analyzer to try to figure out what the gently caress is going on with the wifi on my 2014 Moto X. If I stand in the room with the router, I get a reading of ~-50 to -55 dBm. If I then go downstairs one floor to a location about 40 feet away in a direct line with the floor and two or three walls intervening, the reading goes down to ~-75 dBm. So, two questions:

1) Is that a reasonable amount of attenuation.
2) If it is, why won't my phone stay connected to this network?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Really can't find the right emoticon to express schadenfreude on either platform tbqh

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TraderStav posted:

Really can't find the right emoticon to express schadenfreude on either platform tbqh

😏

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Daily Forecast posted:

So I've finally decided that I'm just gonna get an LG G4 new from T-Mobile (thus giving the Moto G to my wife), since it's on sale right now. I went and used one in the store today (didn't buy it) and it honestly seems a lot better than my Note 4 even was, camera/screen/UI etc.

Only thing holding me back is that I read about pretty widespread touchscreen issues, can anybody with a G4 (or just somebody who knows) confirm that this is widespread as an issue as it seems? I really liked the one I used in the store and it didn't seem to have any problems, but then again of course it wouldn't.

whoops too late looks like I did it anyway because I hate money and good sense. Downloaded a touchscreen testing app and seems like it's perfectly fine so I guess I dodged that particular bullet.

Cool thing T-Mobile is doing now is that they're adding the tax to the monthly payment, so I'm paying $21/mo now instead of $20/mo, but I walked out of that store without spending a single penny, so that's nice. This camera is absolutely loving brilliant, makes every shot I ever took with the Moto G look like dogshit.

Back when I was first looking at my Note 4 it was between that phone and the LG G4, I should have just went with that to begin with, but I didn't because I'm dumb.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
After a couple of weeks I'll bet the LG software will have started grating on you, in a months time you'll be pining for that Moto G

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

dissss posted:

After a couple of weeks I'll bet the LG software will have started grating on you, in a months time you'll be pining for that Moto G

Oddly enough this is the first default launcher I haven't felt the need to immediately slap Nova Launcher on, including stock Android. We'll see.

edit: vvv Such as? The settings menu? Who gives an honest gently caress. Everything else there's an app for.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 7, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The launcher isn't the issue - it's everything else that can't be easily swapped out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
He's happy with his new LG software. No point in pointing out all the software stuff that's wrong/bad. Purchase is complete.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

He's happy with his new LG software. No point in pointing out all the software stuff that's wrong/bad. Purchase is complete.

No kidding. It's a great phone. Now, everyone tear him apart and make him doubt his non Nexus/Moto purchase! Nova? BUT THE UNDERPINNINGS REMAIN! So what?

This place is strange sometimes. :spergin:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

hotsauce posted:

No kidding. It's a great phone. Now, everyone tear him apart and make him doubt his non Nexus/Moto purchase! This place is strange sometimes. :spergin:

Nope - it's just LG really sucks at software.

I thought the same as Daily Forecast when I picked up my G3 and lets just say the honeymoon period was brief.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ah yes, quite nice. Now do bittersweet

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TraderStav posted:

Ah yes, quite nice. Now do bittersweet

😔

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

😕

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

MC Hawking posted:

I don't know if you nerds noticed in between binge drinking, BBQ, and hanging out with your ~wives~ but upcoming godphone to end all godphones the Nexus 5 2015 (Fall Edition) was pretty much leaked this morning. No spec sheet beyond the rumors we already have, sadly.

808 Mafia

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

quote:

a 5.2-inch Full HD display, Snapdragon 808 CPU, 3 GB of RAM, 2,700 mAh battery and USB Type-C

quote:

not deliver camera performance as good as the LG G4

So basically it's not as good as the G4 and I made the right decision :colbert:

Some reviews of the G4 said that the battery life was bad, but I dunno what they're talking about because this battery is fantastic. :shrug:

edit: still don't see what's so bad about the software? Customizing the soft buttons is rad, customizing the notification toggles is rad, knock on/off is super fuckin' rad. This is no worse than Touchwiz (which, as we've established, I've never thought was even all that bad).

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 7, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody know or have a good guess as to when stores like Best Buy would be putting out display models of the Moto X Pure? Are there even B&M stores other than Best Buy that will be selling it?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
So I ordered a Note 5, my first Samsung phone since the Moment, and I did this knowing about all of the bad stuff. A friend has a Note 4, I love the stylus, and TW seemed fine when I tried it out in the store.

My only question is that the lovely task-killing, the thing that's been killing apps in the background so you have to load them again, does that save battery at all? I keep seeing "unused RAM is wasted RAM" which I'm sure is true but as someone who knows nothing about RAM, does that help in any way or does it only serve as a waste of resources and time?

It's honestly not that big of a deal to me, I'm just wondering. Also is Samsung known to ever fix stuff over the course of a phone's life or is this definitely staying forever?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

It's honestly not that big of a deal to me, I'm just wondering. Also is Samsung known to ever fix stuff over the course of a phone's life or is this definitely staying forever?

Their memory management on 5.1 for the S6 was better than 5.0.1 so I guess?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

My only question is that the lovely task-killing, the thing that's been killing apps in the background so you have to load them again, does that save battery at all? I keep seeing "unused RAM is wasted RAM" which I'm sure is true but as someone who knows nothing about RAM, does that help in any way or does it only serve as a waste of resources and time?

If anyone honestly finds that the "lovely task-killing" internet crying actually affects real-world usage, I'd like to conduct an interview with them to understand how their mind works. I know, if you have 40 apps open and are toggling between all of them like a lunatic, sure, you will experience the effects of overly-aggressive task killing.

In normal human use, however, it's a complete non-issue and one that youtube/XDA spergs found and are running with.

I never returned my Note 5 (nobody took the bait from my post) and use it every day. It's a fantastic phone.

Lastly, don't be fooled. Samsung isn't known to fix anything, ever, so if this multi-tasking thing is keeping you up at night, bail right now because chances are it will go unchecked forever. Again, I have not noticed it one bit and that's good by me. Non-issue, IMO (I know there is a technical rebuttal that will silence me, don't care).

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I appreciate you and your lack of sperging out about things that don't loving matter, hotsauce. You're a phone reviewer for the everyman. I just wanted you to know that.

Here's another picture of my cat taken with the G4. Indoors, very low lighting. Picture would have looked like utter dogshit on the Moto G and maybe even the Note 4 in comparison. White on his nose is a little blown out but I did tell the phone to focus on the black fur, and lookit dat detail for a picture shot in almost total darkness (open window next to him, overcast day)

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a way to customize my phone's auto-correct dictionary, or is it per app? I've tried to teach my phone certain words or acronyms, and it'll learn them for a while, but it has a very short memory. The one that infuriates me the most is "idk". It's an incredibly common phrase, but my phone refuses to do anything but auto-correct it to "I'd", which just makes me sound retarded. I'd also like to customize other words it already knows, such as capitalization. Is there a way I can do a system-wide customization? Or do I just have to deal with it constantly forgetting what it did five minutes ago?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Step back from the ledge, Daily Forecast. You didn't immediately regret buying an LG device and I'm happy for you, but don't take things a bridge too far. :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

BottleKnight posted:

Android does this in general, as memory starts getting low it sends out warnings about it, and apps can choose to ditch cached data and make their memory footprint smaller. Once memory usage gets beyond a certain point, the system starts hitting the bigger apps and kicking them out. This basically triggers a 'you're outta here' call which is where the apps will save all their work (if they want), so they can recreate their state next time you open it (if they want)

Having to clear memory and wait for those apps to clean up takes time, so keeping a bit of spare memory means you can keep the system more responsive when the user opens an app that isn't currently in memory. It's a tradeoff basically. And no, constantly saving and loading stuff and reinitialising apps won't save battery over just leaving them in memory, that's a tradeoff too

I don't know about the Samsung version or whatever, since lollipop people have been complaining about say music players being kicked out of memory, which shouldn't happen (background services like that get a higher priority), but it depends what apps the person is running too. The memory management shouldn't be so aggressive it seriously harms the user experience, but at the same time there's only so much it can do if you're Video Gaming or using some other memory hog

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Zero The Hero posted:

Is there a way to customize my phone's auto-correct dictionary, or is it per app? I've tried to teach my phone certain words or acronyms, and it'll learn them for a while, but it has a very short memory. The one that infuriates me the most is "idk". It's an incredibly common phrase, but my phone refuses to do anything but auto-correct it to "I'd", which just makes me sound retarded. I'd also like to customize other words it already knows, such as capitalization. Is there a way I can do a system-wide customization? Or do I just have to deal with it constantly forgetting what it did five minutes ago?

Your phone may have a built-in dictionary somewhere. More likely is the keyboard dictionary itself causing your issues. Try another keyboard app-- Swiftkey, Fleksy, Swype, Google-- and see if it works to your liking.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Thinking of jumping from a Moto X 2013 to the Nexus 6 so I can use Project Fi. Think I'll be happy with this move? I've had the Note 2 prior, so know about big phones...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

BottleKnight posted:

I keep seeing "unused RAM is wasted RAM" which I'm sure is true but as someone who knows nothing about RAM, does that help in any way or does it only serve as a waste of resources and time?

While that's true to a certain extent, it's more applicable for computers. Phones will generally kick things out of memory when it runs low, whereas your computer will just slow down. You won't see Windows or OSX just closing programs when memory is getting tight, unless they completely crash.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Computers can page memory to disk too, but Android doesn't use swap so that's not an option. That 2GB or whatever is all ya got

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Thinking of jumping from a Moto X 2013 to the Nexus 6 so I can use Project Fi. Think I'll be happy with this move? I've had the Note 2 prior, so know about big phones...

I mean the N6 is a great deal right now, but just so you know...the next Nexus phones are supposed to be announced at end of month.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leon Sumbitches posted:

It's literally twice the phone in your hand, even larger than the Note 2. I think it's great, but at least hold one before you pull the trigger.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Thermopyle posted:

I mean the N6 is a great deal right now, but just so you know...the next Nexus phones are supposed to be announced at end of month.

Yea, it's the cost of this year's model that's allowing me to even consider buying it outright. I'm assuming the next Nexus is gonna be around $600 and that's just unreasonable for me.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's literally twice the phone in your hand, even larger than the Note 2. I think it's great, but at least hold one before you pull the trigger.

Great advice. I have huge hands, so kinda assume it'll be fine but should go to the store and hold one before purchase. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yea, it's the cost of this year's model that's allowing me to even consider buying it outright. I'm assuming the next Nexus is gonna be around $600 and that's just unreasonable for me.

You shouldn't assume this, as we don't know. The 16 GB models of the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 both launched for $350. We don't know what the new Nexus(es) will cost, but if there really are two models, a smaller model for ~$350 and a larger model for more ($500? $600?) is definitely possible.