Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

rekamso posted:

Is all of Glenlivet pretty much void of smoke?

I was a gifted a bottle of their Archive 21 and it doesn't have the slightest bit of smoke. Something I've never experienced before with my (limited) scotch drinking.

Yes. It's a Speyside scotch so it won't have very much smokiness to it. Are you looking for smokier/more heavily peated scotches or do you prefer the lack of smoke?

If you like the lack of heavily peated Smokiness I would recommend scotches from Balvenie as a good starting point. Great scotch, good representation of the style and easy to find.

For something in the middle, more bold and with a fair amount of smoke to it look at Highland Scotches. I recommend Dalmore and Oban as easy distilleries to try. Usually a bit more present but not extreme.

Then you have the island scotches. Ones like Highland Park and Talisker tend to be moderately peated and tend to have very noticeable smokiness to them without it becoming the defining characteristic.

The specifically Islay scotches are more island scotches and they typically do not gently caress around with the Peat and smoke. Grab yourself a bottle of Laphroiag Quarter Cask for a good example of the smokiest scotches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

i'm new to scotch and got my first bottle last night. a bottle of Monkey Shoulder blended malt. I liked it, it's good!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I have become fond of Black Velvet Reserve. I not a huge fan of normal Black Velvet but I picked up the Reserve for $14 on a whim because it was cheap and it says 8 years on the glass bottle. It isn't terribly complex but it is smooth and tasty, especially for its budget price point. Makes an especially nice Whisky Ginger. Perhaps I have been unfair to Canadian whisky, but only because the first Canadian stuff I ever drank was the free shooter of Canadian Mist I got at the liquor store on my 21st birthday. Thanks register guy, what a great gift.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There is plenty of drinkable Canadian whiskey, like you say it's not complex but good for a buzz.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Is it true that Canadian distilleries keep pretty much all their really good stuff in Canada and send their more mass marketable blends down south?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For every good but bland Canadian whiskey there is a not bland bourbon at the same price point.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

wormil posted:

The nose is wonderfully sweet with caramel and vanilla. Really, this stuff smells fantastic. Silky in the mouth but definitely a youngish bourbon, the alcohol is raw both on the nose and palate. This is a wheat bourbon and I find myself wishing for more rye to balance the sweetness. At $24 it isn't outrageous but doesn't beat any of the stand-by's in that price range (EC, WT, etc. ) but this is meant to compete against Makers. Pricewise it wins but I'm not sure about flavor, been too many years since I've tasted Makers.

I've been drinking a lot of this lately since Costco always carries the big bottles of it for $35 which is the best liquor deal in the store in my opinion and works just fine as a "daily" bourbon.

Speaking of Costco,

:getin:

wormil posted:

State liquor store is getting in some new stuff (for us). Any of this worth picking up?

This might be an unpopular opinion here considering they rely heavily on MGP, distribute at 40% and are 100% dishonest in their labeling/marketing but I really like Templeton. I just wish it was like $10 cheaper

torb main fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 5, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Just opened my bottle of Springbank 10
I think I've found a new favorite scotch

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Finished off my bottle of Johnnie Black (I know but it was what it was) and was looking to try Green or maybe something like Glenlivet 12 to get into single malts but ended up getting Hibiki after a taste from the proprietor of the liquor store.

Man am I glad I listened to that guy.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I just got one of these, but it is unopened (concentrating on finishing some of my multiple open bottles first). I am excited about it though, craft presentation and all. How would you describe it?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Mahler posted:

I just got one of these, but it is unopened (concentrating on finishing some of my multiple open bottles first). I am excited about it though, craft presentation and all. How would you describe it?

Sweet (honey, vanilla, fruit) up front, spicy on the back end, with light smoke

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015

Alman posted:

opinion here considering they rely heavily on MGP, distribute at 40% and are 100% dishonest in their labeling/marketing but I really like Templeton. I just wish it was like $10 cheaper

Templeton is solid, but overpriced I agree. It would hard for me to pick it up when Russel's Reserve 6 is sitting next to it at same price point.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Skinny posted:

Templeton is solid, but overpriced I agree. It would hard for me to pick it up when Russel's Reserve 6 is sitting next to it at same price point.

I disagree. Templeton was overpriced, but it looks like there's been a huge price cut lately. At the $30 price point it's pretty solid.

I would never choose Russel's Reserve over Templeton. Did a side by side Manhattan and everyone preferred the Rittenhouse.

Working on finishing a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 before I add any more Scotch to my cabinet. It's a struggle.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Bit of reading on the science of SPACE WHISKY

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2015/09/ardbeg-announces-groundbreaking-space-whisky-results/

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015

trauma llama posted:

I disagree. Templeton was overpriced, but it looks like there's been a huge price cut lately. At the $30 price point it's pretty solid.

I would never choose Russel's Reserve over Templeton. Did a side by side Manhattan and everyone preferred the Rittenhouse.

Working on finishing a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 before I add any more Scotch to my cabinet. It's a struggle.

I wasn't knocking Templeton. I said it was solid (I quite like it actually), just not really worth the $40 shown in the photo we were discussing.

I'm with you on the Rittenhouse; it is killer at the price point. However, when building a Manhattan it's not just the whiskey but also the vermouth, bitters, and ratios thereof that one must take into account. Certain whiskeys show better in different settings.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, um, I'm running a bourbon tasting event tomorrow evening, and I am um, feeling woefully unprepared? Do you guys have any advice on how to run it, and what tasting notes I should be saying? (For reference, the bourbons are bookers, blantons and bulleit 10 year)

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, um, I'm running a bourbon tasting event tomorrow evening, and I am um, feeling woefully unprepared? Do you guys have any advice on how to run it, and what tasting notes I should be saying? (For reference, the bourbons are bookers, blantons and bulleit 10 year)

If you drink Bourbon regularly your palate should be adequately prepared to taste, appreciate and describe what you are imbibing. If you haven't drank much Bourbon but are used to drinking another complex spirit (Scotch, Brandy, etc...) you should still be more than capable or translating what you experience into words. If you drink wine or craft beers you should have the range of taste experience and vocabulary to be able to sound competent with general terms like; fruity, hoppy, light but also be able to delve deeper into descriptive terms such as; blackberry, honey, molasses. Just to make you aware, there is no such thing as an incorrect descriptive term, tasting is very personal, an inexperienced drinker can sometimes bring something to the table that an expert has missed.

Take small sips, try and get it around your mouth without it looking like you are using mouthwash. Warm it in your mouth (personal preference, sometimes professional preference) and think about where you taste it first; front of the mouth, back, roof, throat. I prefer some whiskies because they hit the front of my mouth and dislike others because they stick to the roof of my mouth.

There are tasting charts that can help you start with basic descriptive terms then lead you into the more complex terms, by all means have a look at one of these, they can help you come up with terms you may never have thought of but it can also restrict your thinking into pigeon-holing your tastes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's less about specific notes, and more about the tasting process. Unless these are experienced tasters, you'll need to teach them about spending time with the aroma, picking out notes, and being comfortable expressing them out loud. Then when it comes to tasting make sure they know to hold the spirit on their tongue, slowly let it disperse through their mouths, swallow, and then breathe back over their tongue again. A lot of tasting is also about disinhibiting, so people don't feel dumb talking about the different notes.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 8, 2015

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Kenning posted:

It's less about specific notes, and more about the tasting process. Unless these are experienced tasters, you'll need to teach them about spending time with the aroma, picking out notes, and being comfortable expressing them out loud. Then when it comes to tasting make sure they know to hold the spirit on their tongue, slowly let it disperse through their mouths, swallow, and then breathe back over their tongue again. A lot of trasting is also about disinhibiting, so people don't feel dumb talking about the different notes.

Nice technique. To fill time, as you get to a new sample you can talk through other tasting techniques as well. I recommend:

1: Open your mouth and hold your glass at the level of your lower lip and inhale through your mouth -- this allows the scents to reach your olfactory nerves through the back end while your mouth absorbs the sting of some of the alcohol.
2. place a drop of the bourbon on your clean hands and rub over the back of your hand to burn off the alcohol and strong alcohol scent, then smell.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
There's a company here in Kansas City called J. Rieger who just started production of their own whiskey. They're taking the route of many "startup" distilleries in that they're sourcing their first few years worth of whiskey from MGP and intend to start using their own spirits when their barrel aging program is mature enough. They do something a little different, though, in that they add some Oloroso sherry wine to each batch of whiskey. It makes for a very unique flavor with subtle but necessary sweetness, and, despite the lack of real authenticity, I'm already somewhat of a fan of the MGP "taste" to begin with. I'm excited for their in-house distillery and barrel program to mature because the guy running is a total badass and one of the best cocktail bartenders in the country.

I say all that to propose a trade if anyone is interested. This whiskey is about $35 locally but isn't distributed nationally. I'd be interested in tasting the local fare or fares of anyone who vehemently likes a similarly priced product from their local market. For example, I had some of Oola's bourbon whiskey when I was in Seattle and was thoroughly impressed. If anyone is interested in a trade, let me know what sort of local wares you have and perhaps we can arrange something, assuming your local laws permit the shipping of alcohol. I also have no idea if UPS or FedEx allow shipping alcohol...but if anyone's done it before, I'm all ears.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Alman posted:

They do something a little different, though, in that they add some Oloroso sherry wine to each batch of whiskey. It makes for a very unique flavor with subtle but necessary sweetness, and, despite the lack of real authenticity, I'm already somewhat of a fan of the MGP "taste" to begin with.
Interestingly, something like this was pretty much standard practice for scotch until the early 80's.
They'd take a concentrated 'sherry syrup' called Paxarette, pour maybe a litre into a so-so cask, and force it into the wood with air pressure.
This sort of 'seasoning' was banned by the Scotch Whisky Association much like the recent ban on inner barrel staves, not for any detrimental effect but for arbitrary "tradition" reasons.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

In my opinion, Springbank doesn't get nearly enough love. It's probably because it doesn't have any standout characteristic like peat, or smoke or caramel. That said, I think that the balance is what makes it spectacular.

Bunnahabhain has a similar characteristic. Both are fantastic Whisky's.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Alman posted:

If anyone is interested in a trade, let me know what sort of local wares you have and perhaps we can arrange something

I live in Portland, OR and would possibly be interested in working something out. We have more than a few distilleries here and access to a lot more from all over the west coast.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I live in Portland, OR and would possibly be interested in working something out. We have more than a few distilleries here and access to a lot more from all over the west coast.

I'd definitely be interested in something from Portland. Unfortunately I don't really know anything about any of the distilleries there but I trust your judgment for anything in the same price range ($35-40) if you're in.

I don't have PMs enabled, but I don't want to spam up this thread so if you're down shoot me an email: alman84 at gmail

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was reviewing the recommendations in the OP. Would anyone like to add to or change the current recommendations?

Scotch:
  • Johnnie Walker Black (blend)
  • Glenlivet 12 (15 or 18 for $$)
  • Aberlour 12
  • Highland Park 12 (affordable intro to peat/smoke)
  • Balvenie 12 Double Wood
  • Oban 14

Peaty whiskys:
  • Lagavulin 16
  • Laphroaig 10 or Quarter Cask
  • Ardbeg Uigeadail
  • Ardbeg 10 (budget)

Bourbon: Don't be put off by high proof bourbons
  • Elijah Craig 12
  • Evan Williams 1783 and Single Barrel
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Old Grand-Dad 100
  • Elmer T Lee

About $30 or more:
  • Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Russell's Reserve
  • Rare Breed
  • Black Maple Hill (not widely available)
  • Blantons
Irish Whiskey: Red Breast 12
Canadian Whiskey: TBD

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scotch:
Islay Mist (honest to god good islay blend, replaces Black Bottle for me)
Campbeltown Loch (Also a very good blend)
Springbank 10

Irish:
Green Spot

Rye:
Whistlepig
Jefferson's 10YO
Rittenhouse 100 proof

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 10, 2015

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Scotch:
Benromach 10

Peaty:
pretty much anything from Kilchoman

Irish:
Teeling Single Malt (they don't seem to be distributing this to the US yet but their blend is also good)

:canada::
Wiser's Legacy
(regular Wiser's is also good for a cheap blend)

:japan::
Nikka Coffey Malt
Nikka Whisky from the Barrel

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nill posted:

Irish:
Teeling Single Malt (they don't seem to be distributing this to the US yet but their blend is also good)

I like their single grain a lot

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Glendronach and Compass Box deserve mention. The latter not being a single malt shouldn't matter.

Add a "rest of world" category and add Yamazaki, Kavalan, Amrut, etc.

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Scotch:
Islay Mist (honest to god good islay blend, replaces Black Bottle for me)
Campbeltown Loch (Also a very good blend)
Springbank 10

Irish:
Green Spot

Rye:
Whistlepig
Jefferson's 10YO
Rittenhouse 100 proof

Rittenhouse is my go-to Rye. Just as good or better than a lot of boutique expensive ryes. Also Bulleit Rye. Bulleit Bourbon is not so great.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

Also Bulleit Rye. Bulleit Bourbon is not so great.

I feel completely the opposite way, but we can still be friends.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

Rittenhouse is my go-to Rye. Just as good or better than a lot of boutique expensive ryes. Also Bulleit Rye. Bulleit Bourbon is not so great.
Bulleit Bourbon is ok but not OP-worthy. Rittenhouse is great except when you make it your go-to and it ruins non-cocktail consumption of Bulleit Bourbon (and possibly Rye) for you.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I think WL Weller's Special Reserve deserves a spot for bourbon, best buy for the money in my opinion

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Add Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace to the bourbon section, add Colonel E.H. Taylor to the >$30 bourbon section and create a rye section for Rittenhouse 100.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm not seeing recommendations for the same things. Too many recommendations is the same as none. We want choices for an introduction to specific types of whiskys. That means brands that are consistent, widely available, and not overly expensive. I think we are a tad heavy on recommendations as it is, especially on bourbon. And I'd like to see a consensus.

Lets focus on Scotch first...
Give me two blends, four mild single malt, four smoky peat single malts.

Here is what we have now

Blends (need another blend: Islay Mist, Teachers, J&B, Chivas?)
JW Black

Mild (honestly I think these recs are good. we have 1 sherry, 2 mid, and 1 lighter. I wouldn't mind ditching Oban and going with 3 choices)

Aberlour 12 (sherry)
Balvenie 12 Double Wood
Glenlivet 12
Oban 14

Smoke/Peat (these are pretty good too, but I'm open to changes if there is a consensus, can we get these down to four? The * would be my choices.)
*Lagavulin 16
*Laphroaig 10 or Quarter Cask
Ardbeg Uigeadail
*Ardbeg 10
*Highland Park 12

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Alman posted:

I think WL Weller's Special Reserve deserves a spot for bourbon, best buy for the money in my opinion
The whole Weller line is going to compete with anything in its price range.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I don't think anyone realized that the suggestions needed to be corroborated. v:shobon:v

Blends:
Islay Mist
Compass Box Great King St.
Bank Note

Malts:
Springbank 10 (campbeltown)
Benromach 10 (speyside)
Arran 10 (island)
Glenmorangie 10 (the Discovery/Pioneer boxset is a good way to sample the influence of various cask finishes)

Peats:
Kilchoman
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Caol Ila
Longrow

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Blends:
JW Black
Monkey Shoulder (excellent, inexpensive speyside blend)

Mild/Fruity:
Glenlivet/Glenfiddich 12 (15 for more $)
Aberlour 12 - sherry
Balvenie Doublewood 12 - great for bourbon drinkers trying to get into scotch

Harder to find but excellent intros:
Glendronach 12 / 15($$$) - sherry
Springbank 10 - balance

Peat:
Highland Park 12 - balanced, mild peat
Lagavulin 16 ($$) - oceany, meaty peat
Laphroaig 10/QC - medicinal, smoky campfire peat
Ardbeg 10 / Uigeadail ($$) / Corryvreckan ($$$) - earthy, salty peat

Or just steal some of the suggestions from the docs on r/scotch - they're actually good and have word clouds for tasting notes

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Anyone else have a love for Bushmill's Black Bush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'm currently drinking a bottle of Aberfeldy 12. It's pretty good but seems quite a lot less oily than it used to be say 4 or 5 years ago (probably when they changed the bottle style). Can anyone else confirm or deny? It's more than possible that my memory is playing tricks and that combined with my shot to pieces palate I'm wrong.