Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

So you're advocating intentionally antagonizing other drivers so you can use an archaic law to write them the traffic citation equivalent of a citizens' arrest?

You're the person we share a road with :ughh:

:goonsay:

Read El Jebus' post more carefully. I was just continuing the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
quick someone get Geoj ranting again about the interval between cars he hasnt lost his mind about that in a week or so

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Yay, more idiotic drivers today!

Just got back from a quick lunch trip up the road - was pulling out of a parking lot to make a left onto another road, kept my car in the inside lane like I was supposed to. Some dumb oval office in an Explorer comes barreling out of a lot to my right, doesn't bother looking and almost hits my passenger side. Bitch had the gall to scream and glare at me because she was too stupid to pull into the inside lane like a normal loving person. My middle finger is gonna be swole as a motherfucker if this kind of poo poo keeps up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
These are the people you share a road with in China.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...a_s.single.html

:nms: mentions of small children getting hit by cars...

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
These are the loving comedians you share the corner gas station with.

Some bastard smeared dog poo poo on the air hose and I got it. FFfffffffffffffffffffffuck.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

These are the people you share a road with in China.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...a_s.single.html

:nms: mentions of small children getting hit by cars...

Is this for real? Now I feel ashamed to be Chinese and am incredibly grateful to have been born in America. Now I'll know to be extra cautious whenever I visit Taiwan and to never visit China like ever.

“It is better to hit to kill than to hit and injure.” :stonk:

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Edward IV posted:

This is sadly quite true in many circumstances, especially in the US.

e: although that article is just hosed up, and cross the line from accidental death/manslaughter to just straight up murder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're going to jail, might as well make sure the witnesses aren't alive to testify. :black101:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dee eight posted:

These are the loving comedians you share the corner gas station with.

Some bastard smeared dog poo poo on the air hose and I got it. FFfffffffffffffffffffffuck.

You hope it was dog.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

You hope it was dog.

Unfortunately, I can picture someone using an air compressor to clean their :butt:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BraveUlysses posted:

Unfortunately, I can picture someone using an air compressor to clean their :butt:

That's what's called a "Toledo Bidet"

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

GutBomb posted:

That's what's called a "Toledo Bidet"

Toledo Bidet, Cleveland Steamer....Ohio, the gift that keeps on giving.

`Nemesis posted:

Had a semi truck driver go absolutely insane behind me for this. I'd just idle along and he'd accelerate then brake hard and then just resorted to blowing his air horn at me. All for leaving a gap in front of me of about 2 car lengths and letting the buffer work to my advantage.

I do this sometimes too but I think it needs to be made clear that if you're going to do this, do it in the loving rightmost lane. I got stuck behind some guy in rush hour today who decided to do that in the left lane, and while I appreciate his dedication to not having to alternate brake and gas too much he just ended up leaving a gap that every other rear end in a top hat dove into.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
You forgot Cincinnati bow tie.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Edward IV posted:

Is this for real? Now I feel ashamed to be Chinese and am incredibly grateful to have been born in America. Now I'll know to be extra cautious whenever I visit Taiwan and to never visit China like ever.

I have a few friends in China and yes this is true apparently. :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Abe Froman posted:

You forgot Cincinnati bow tie.

And the Dayton Dingleberry, Springfield Stank Stache

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Tex Avery posted:

Here's something I've been seeing a poo poo ton more of lately. I drive vintage streetcars for a living. We're like trains in that we're on a pair of steel rails and can't deviate from that unless something goes terribly wrong. Here at Cole and Lemmon, the streetcar starts in the far left lane of Cole, then makes a wide left turn and ends up in the right lane of Lemmon

Holy crap I have probably been on your streetcars and have probably been driven by you.

I've also been "that vehicle" as well; that turn is hosed UP if you don't know to expect it. The only sign that'd do it justice to someone that doesn't know about it would be something like, "WARNING: Wacky Trolly Turn. Just sit and watch, newbie, i can't explain it."

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Don't forget the Rusty Sandusky...

Here's a landscaping company that almost bought two new cars, driver was on his phone and gave me a 'What the gently caress did I do?" look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZGS826yhg

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

NoWake posted:

Don't forget the Rusty Sandusky...

Here's a landscaping company that almost bought two new cars, driver was on his phone and gave me a 'What the gently caress did I do?" look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZGS826yhg

He saw you. He was using the center lane as an acceleration lane, and intending for you to pass, and then he was going to get in your lane.

That said, doing what he was doing is illegal in most (all?) states, because the center lane is for making left turns from, not making left turns into. He should have waited until you passed, and then made a left directly into your lane.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Craptacular posted:

That said, doing what he was doing is illegal in most (all?) states, because the center lane is for making left turns from, not making left turns into. He should have waited until you passed, and then made a left directly into your lane.

It varies by state, it seems. A quick check showed some saying it's illegal, some saying it not, not legal, and some saying it's fine.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

WA state checking in; center turn lane can be used for cars turning left off of or onto the roadway, and you can remain in the lane for not more than 300 feet. As usual, know the traffic laws of your locality and never assume they apply to other cities/states.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Uthor posted:

It varies by state, it seems. A quick check showed some saying it's illegal, some saying it not, not legal, and some saying it's fine.

I looked it up for my state and found that apparently pulling out in to the suicide lane isn't allowed, but passing in it seems to be.

ORC 4511.33 posted:

(2) Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes and provides for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle or trackless trolley shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or trackless trolley where the roadway is clearly visible and such center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or when preparing for a left turn, or where such center lane is at the time allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the direction the vehicle or trackless trolley is proceeding and is posted with signs to give notice of such allocation.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I looked it up for VA, doesn't explicitly ban it but says no driving for more than 150 ft.

But I found this while searching:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Deeters posted:

I looked it up for VA, doesn't explicitly ban it but says no driving for more than 150 ft.

Yeah the hand positions have been migrating down for years because of the amount of injuries from air bags.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uthor posted:

That isn't a suicide lane though. It has double yellows (instead of half solid, half dashed) which makes it a no go median, a replacment for krails.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

nm posted:

That isn't a suicide lane though. It has double yellows (instead of half solid, half dashed) which makes it a no go median, a replacment for krails.

Exactly this, double yellows with hash marks in the middle and it peters out 50 feet from the drive he turned out of. Traffic wasnt exactly heavy, decent room ahead and there nobody following me, but he still chose (assuming he saw me) to pull in front of me and the other oncoming driver. I really had no idea how far he'd come over once I saw him start coming across like that, in other circumstances he could have caused someone to panic brake or swerve off the road.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deeters posted:

That's what I was told to do in driver's ed back in 2003, for whatever that's worth.

Airbag injuries aside, I've found it's substantially easier on my shoulders for long drives.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's what I was told to do in driver's ed back in 2003, for whatever that's worth.

Airbag injuries aside, I've found it's substantially easier on my shoulders for long drives.

I've done it for long stretches of highway where I'm not steering much too, but I can't move the wheel more than like 1/8th of a turn without my elbows hitting my sides.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

`Nemesis posted:

Had a semi truck driver go absolutely insane behind me for this. I'd just idle along and he'd accelerate then brake hard and then just resorted to blowing his air horn at me. All for leaving a gap in front of me of about 2 car lengths and letting the buffer work to my advantage.
I'm a semi truck driver and if you were cruising along like that, I would be happy and idle away behind you. Then again with my schedule I don't have to worry about hours of service.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

nitrogen posted:

Holy crap I have probably been on your streetcars and have probably been driven by you.

I've also been "that vehicle" as well; that turn is hosed UP if you don't know to expect it. The only sign that'd do it justice to someone that doesn't know about it would be something like, "WARNING: Wacky Trolly Turn. Just sit and watch, newbie, i can't explain it."

I'm going to submit that exact verbiage as a suggestion for the sign going up at that intersection.

If you've been on after 16:00 on any given weekday in the last year, you've probably seen me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deeters posted:

Problem: this is where my legs are.
Also, mythbusters did the airbag thing. Its crap.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

9 and 3 fo' lyfe. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

your'e not hardcore unless you grab the wheel hub and steer that way

one-handed

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Previa_fun posted:

9 and 3 fo' lyfe. :colbert:

3. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I spent 40 minutes to move 200m today because I didn't realize that when my city says a street is closed at a two-way intersection, it does not in fact mean that both directions of the intersecting street will be accessible.

I don't know how people sit in stop and go traffic every day. I think I'd kill myself.

EDIT: What I really don't get, though, is that the northbound lanes of the intersecting street were closed, so they could've easily been turned into a dual-turn from the street that was completely closed at that intersection, which could double the throughput of traffic on every light cycle (it opens up to a double lane shortly after that intersection anyway). Horrible, horrible traffic planning.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 7, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nm posted:

Problem: this is where my legs are.
Also, mythbusters did the airbag thing. Its crap.

When? I remember them testing whether the airbag will blow your thumbs off, but that's not what this hand position is intended to address. It's about keeping your arms from crossing over the wheel when maneuvering, which will absolutely send your arms back into your face if the airbag goes off.

Sidenote: I'd be interested to see some kind of study on whether folks who put their hands at 8 and 4 get in wrecks that would be otherwise avoidable due to having to do more hand flailing to do any kind of maneuvering. It's just awkward as all hell.

9 and 3 fo lif.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

if you have to move your hands at all you need a quicker rack

12 degrees lock to lock motherf*cker

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Right hand at 11, left hand out the window.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Left hand at 10, right hand chilling waiting to use the shifter.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly couldn't tell you where my hands go, they just go wherever they need to be at the time I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Left arm on 12, wrist hanging down.

Right hand tweeting