Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

macnbc posted:

You can however delay it for a year to give it more time in the development oven for playtesting, QA, polish, etc.

You know, like they should've done with Unity last year.

Yeah but I'd imagine Ubisoft would be bleeding a lot of money to basically just sit on a game doing nothing but QA for an entire year. Like, it might end up the most polished game ever but Ubisoft got to factor in the cost of paying people for QA for a year and whatnot. They absolutely should postpone future projects after Syndicate though and try and work out something creative for the series direction in a few years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

A year after Unity, I am going to Paris tomorrow and while Unity should have made me obsessed with the city, it failed to make the city a character, and subsequently I will see the city like any other tourist.

Tl;dr: Ubisoft lied, passion died

I went to rome + florence after playing through rear end Creed 2 and Brotherhood. I geeked out pretty hard. "I've been there and there, and there! Not inside but I climbed all over it!" :v:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but I'd imagine Ubisoft would be bleeding a lot of money to basically just sit on a game doing nothing but QA for an entire year. Like, it might end up the most polished game ever but Ubisoft got to factor in the cost of paying people for QA for a year and whatnot. They absolutely should postpone future projects after Syndicate though and try and work out something creative for the series direction in a few years time.

You don't have to keep an entire dev team on a single game while it's in QA. You can shift people to another project while a smaller team wraps it up and releases it when it's ready.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm legit excited for Syndicate... I think if it properly iterates on Unity and shores up some of that game's weaknesses (opening the game up for some severe owns with the phrasing here) it could be the Black Flag to Unity's AC3. Evie rules and if they don't kill off Henry the cool handsome Indian Assassin in Sequence 9 I'll be surprised but willing to forgive a lot more. Apparently combat's been improved and they've been checking in with fans a lot on gameplay stuff. Maybe I'm just an optimist :shobon:

When have they ever said combat wasn't improved though

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

webmeister posted:

I still dont know what they havent just bitten the bullet and made the combat system like every WB published game. it seems like they have been hinting that syndicate will try that kind of combat.

EDIT: I dont know. I am sort of exited but i am not hyped. I am sure it wont be as bad as unity.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 7, 2015

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just finished AC China, and while I liked it, it did trigger 'perfect run' syndrome, cue me allowing myself to be cut down multiple times for another try to get another Shadow: Gold" medal. Games that gateway abilities to high score runs always do this to me.

The gameplay mechanic actually rewarding not killing people indicates to me that Shao Jun was one of the best Assassins who only killed when necessary and otherwise remained undetected.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

webmeister posted:

Very true! But I've been reading hands-on impressions from civilians like you or me rather than reviewers or the devs and they've largely felt it's a pretty decent blend of AC3 era with Unity's new system. Again, I'm being very optimistic but realistically even if everyone else thinks it's garbage I'll end up playing it anyway so it can't hurt to be excited. (I liked AC3 and really liked Unity, too.)

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have to say "AC3 + Unity combat" doesn't sound like praise to me.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes, China was great. It's surprising how little they put it forward (and how little they put India forward).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I liked the Unity combat, or at least the direction they tried to take it in. I found it harder to take on large groups which made me go back to using more stealth, thinning the ranks before engaging in combat and using the gadgets. I also liked the missions where they tried a more open design. None of it worked that well, but still, it seemed like a step in the right direction. However, with a big series like that you're never going to get drastic changes from installment to installment. AC is a known quantity with a probably pretty accurate sales projection, no one who can make big decisions is going to actually make them, because then if it flops it's their fault.

Anyway, I'm going to get it as soon as it's clear they're no major technical issues, because story and gameplay aside I love virtual tourism and their cities are always a very pretty sight.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CharlieWhiskey posted:

A year after Unity, I am going to Paris tomorrow and while Unity should have made me obsessed with the city, it failed to make the city a character, and subsequently I will see the city like any other tourist.

Tl;dr: Ubisoft lied, passion died

To be honest, the city thoroughly changed after Haussmann's renovation of Paris in the 19th Century. I'm not sure you'd have found your marks anyway.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

By now every game that copied AC's combat is better than AC in that regard. I'm not talking about Batman games either because those are on another level where hits actually have a weight to them, they're extremely responsive and have robust combo and gadget systems.

I'm thinking Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max which are still way better than Unity or Black Flag when it comes to combat. Hell, Sleeping Dogs - a GTA clone had better brawling than AC so even when people are genuinely saying that AC's combat has been improved it's pretty much meaningless.

I played through every AC game that came out on PC and Syndicate can't rise the littlest interest in me because of how they oversimplified or cut every single AC mechanic from previous games in Unity (and with some exceptions this looks like a new trendin the series), because ships are completely gone and because the only thing that I found actually interesting in Unity when it comes to combat - the variety of melee weapons that all had different combat animations, speeds and ranges - is also gone. I'll still play this game because it's my guilty pleasure but definitely not at launch.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
re: Excited about Syndicate

I'm not. After the Unity debacle, Ubisoft has sort of killed my interest in the AC series. It's a pity because I honestly do enjoy the settings and historical recreation. I wish they'd step outside of Europe, or at least go further back in time. I know I'm not the only one who'd enjoy seeing a Feudal Japan or Dark Ages AC game. I'll sit Syndicate out.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

A Dark Ages rear end Creed game would just end up being splinter cell.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

A Dark Ages rear end Creed game would just end up being splinter cell.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing. You're medieval Sam Fischer on a quest to kill everyfuckingthing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Aguilar is one letter away from aguila, which is eagle

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

macnbc posted:

You can however delay it for a year to give it more time in the development oven for playtesting, QA, polish, etc.

You know, like they should've done with Unity last year.

I wish that they spent more time stress testing the online components.

I I liked the combat, mission planning, and parkour changes though.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I hope they bring coop back some day because I didn't like the competitive multiplayer--it's balanced strongly in favor of people who spend money or who have prestiged--but I love making trouble in my little sister's world (or vice versa)

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I didn't have a PC that could run anything beyond AC III until this year so I've been catching up, playing games one after another. I really loved AC IV because it was different and pirates and just a lot of fun. By the time I got to Unity all the launch problems were fixed so I had no issues with it, and I also had a lot of fun. But when I played AC Rogue after Unity it just felt like a big step backward. By the end I was bored with it. As long as Syndicate doesn't have launch problems and can build on the best parts of AC IV and Unity I'll be excited to play it.

Anyone else thing Rogue sucked? I liked Brotherhood and Revelations better than Rogue.

I would rank them from best to worst as:

Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed IV
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed Rogue
Assassin's Creed III

JFC fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 7, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JFC posted:

I didn't have a PC that could run anything beyond AC III until this year so I've been catching up, playing games one after another. I really loved AC IV because it was different and pirates and just a lot of fun. By the time I got to Unity all the launch problems were fixed so I had no issues with it, and I also had a lot of fun. But when I played AC Rogue after Unity it just felt like a big step backward. By the end I was bored with it. As long as Syndicate doesn't have launch problems and can build on the best parts of AC IV and Unity I'll be excited to play it.

Anyone else thing Rogue sucked? I liked Brotherhood and Revelations better than Rogue.

it was alright, i liked the templar perspective but the cities felt rehashed and empty. I assume they will eventualy just remake it for current gen and rerelease it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

JFC posted:

You shut your mouth you heathen.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Uh brotherhood was the apex of the franchise dude.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but Revelations could have been better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

JFC posted:

I would rank them from best to worst as:

Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed IV
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed Rogue
Assassin's Creed III

I actually hated brotherhood and rev, so my list definitely would be

Black Flag
AC 2
Rogue
Unity
Brotherhood
Revelations
AC 3
AC

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'll buy Syndicate, but I'm not terribly excited for it. Unity was just such a boring non-entity, forget the technical issues. Especially after Black Flag. I hope this one has more going for it, and I hope it develops the plot in some meaningful way. Unity revealed nothing other than "Abstergo wants to put Precursor DNA in the Animus". Arno had like no bearing on anything except I guess he's taking an apple to Egypt or something and he got drunk a lot then stopped doing that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have slurped at the cock of AC every year like clockwork and even sometimes more than once a year at this point, and I won't touch Syndicate with a twenty foot pole. With how forgiving I am of just about anything on the business side of video games, and how much I like Ubisoft stuff, that's drat impressive.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I'll be getting Syndicate because I know London like the back of my hand, so it'll be interesting to see how well they recreate the city. Other than that I've barely registered it. Is there a thread for it yet? I know very little about it and it'd be nice to see what to expect. Are they really dropping the weapon and armour customisation? I didn't really rate Unity, but that aspect was right up my alley.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They said they decreased it, not dropped it.

I might make some people cross bit London is a terrible city and there is no reason a Victorian game should happen there.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

After AC3 I stopped playing them close to release.

Also ranking them in a full order is hard because honestly I even enjoyed 3/Unity overall. It just took ages to get going and had too much rough stuff.
Revelations is my favorite combatwise followed by 3 though. AC combat isn't actually good-good but it looks cool. Especially Vlad the impaler's sword and the tomahawk animations. :allears:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

7seven7 posted:

I'll be getting Syndicate because I know London like the back of my hand, so it'll be interesting to see how well they recreate the city. Other than that I've barely registered it. Is there a thread for it yet? I know very little about it and it'd be nice to see what to expect. Are they really dropping the weapon and armour customisation? I didn't really rate Unity, but that aspect was right up my alley.

No thread yet. I'm opting out of creating a new one myself so you can feel free to if you want.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Please put watch dog's invasion system into an rear end creed game.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I think I'm the only person in the world who rates Brotherhood at the very bottom of the series. I didn't dislike it, but it was just AC2 with gameplay that was a little bit better and a story that was a little bit worse. I prefer games that at least try to do something new, even if they end up overreaching and being more flawed as a result.

As for Syndicate, I'm still not wowed by London as a setting and probably won't ever be because I've seen it in media too many times, but the stuff they've been releasing of late has me more interested in the game of late, so I'll pick it up. No preorders though—I actually loved Unity and think it is very underrated now that it's running well for pretty much everyone, but they 100% should have waited and cleaned it up more before releasing and they don't deserve expressions of confidence through :10bux: anymore.

My list would be:

AC2/Black Flag (tie)
Unity
AC
AC3
Rogue
Revelations
Brotherhood

I have trouble making a specific order because sometimes the gaming experience and the story different dramatically. Revelations' engine was getting really crusty, but I mostly liked the story overall, and Altaïr is my favorite Assassin but the other games improved on everything about his game.

Also Shay is a dumbass for deciding the Assassins are 100% evil monsters and immediately turning a blind eye to how blatantly the Templars are manipulating him.

effervescible fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 7, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

man nurse posted:

I'll buy Syndicate, but I'm not terribly excited for it. Unity was just such a boring non-entity, forget the technical issues. Especially after Black Flag. I hope this one has more going for it, and I hope it develops the plot in some meaningful way. Unity revealed nothing other than "Abstergo wants to put Precursor DNA in the Animus". Arno had like no bearing on anything except I guess he's taking an apple to Egypt or something and he got drunk a lot then stopped doing that.

You also learn the Instruments of the First Will cult are trying to advance technology to the point where Juno, who currently exists as like a weird Internet ghost, can affect the physical world again. (With that said, they want to do that by...putting Precursor DNA in the Animus, so...not much new then.)

Kuiperdolin posted:

I might make some people cross bit London is a terrible city and there is no reason a Victorian game should happen there.

It clearly should have been in Colonial India but God forbid they make a mainline game in a setting non-white enough to rankle a Klansmen.

Ryoga posted:

Please put watch dog's invasion system into an rear end creed game.

They should insanely do this and have the other player be like Templar agents in the Helix system trying to trap you so it fits in the lore.

Thanks for reading my post all. -- Mr. Good Ideas

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ah yeah, lists where Unity or AC3 are higher than Ezio trilogy, this must be the AC thread. Ubi should make way more like those.

Also we're not getting a second AC this year, right? So no chance for another sailing AC?

Palpek fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 8, 2015

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Palpek posted:

Ah yeah, lists where Unity or AC3 are higher than Ezio trilogy, this must be the AC thread. Ubi should make way more like those.

Also we're not getting a second AC this year, right? So no chance for another sailing AC?

Don't think so. Also to follow on, AC used to be the game I woul get each year, but with Unity, I can't really work up the enthusiasm for Syndicate. It seems the closer in time to the present day each game is, the less fun they become. An AC with no guns would be ideal or modern tech would be a step in the right direction.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The first assassin's creed game is more proof-of-concept than a fully functioning title. It is repetitive and basic and unfortunately feature voice acting ranging from "not very good" to "vaguely offensive."

AC2 might be the high water mark for the franchise, with the likable lead of Ezio and a great sense of variety in the cities. Brotherhood is.... more of AC2. The story is kind've naff, but the mission design itself is stronger and more cohesive than anything before or after.

Revelations was the first sign of series fatigue. Its a totally passable, totally unnecessary adventure.

AC3 is a leviathan of a title, with a ridiculous amount of bloat. There's good stuff in there, but it requires a lot of digging. Connor and the plot have their moments, but its largely an inchoate mess by the time Connor is chasing General Lee in one of the absolute worst chase sequences in all of gaming.

Black Flag brought a lot of people back to the franchise, including myself. Its just so FUN in a way the series had largely forgotten. Not all of the new bells and whistles work, but it returns a sense of adventure to the world.

Unity is the one truly bad game in the franchise, patches aside. Nothing works as intended, from an unarguably broken stealth mechanic to a complete clusterfuck of an upgrade system. Even if you ignore all of the technical issues, its still too clear that this was a game designed by hundreds of people working independently and then stapled together.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The problem with Black Flag is that the ship combat doesn't even have as much depth as Pirates! - a game released in 1987 - and on land it's just more AC. I think that game wouldn't have been rated as high if people weren't so happy to have something breezy (and working right out of the box) after the bland chore that was AC3. Don't get me wrong, Black Flag was fun, but half of it is more tech demo than anything.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It doesn't feel like a tech demo, that was AC3 which ran on a new engine and introduced sailing among other new mechanics - people liked Black Flag because it was fun not because of some ptsd, they actually needed a good game to wash the taste after AC3, not an incomplete one and Black Flag delivered.

I mean you can say you didn't like it that much and that mechanics could be deeper, that's ok but it was a full fledged game and you must be the first person I've seen ever to call it a tech demo (something that people call AC1, AC3 and Unity). In that context every AC game is a tech demo with some being outright betas I guess.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
OK, tech demo is too harsh, but still, the ship combat is really really shallow. Then again I'm just miffed because I'm still waiting for a genuine modern day successor to Sea Dogs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In the meantime Unity even removed diving but I guess Seine is such a sewage that even battle hardened assassins won't risk going underwater.

• Locked thread