Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

President Ark posted:

Wait, really? I saw a preview for Mr. Robot before a movie once and figured it'd be all HACK ALL IP ADDRESSES TO DOWNLOAD THE INTERNET nonsense.

Nah it's pretty spot on. There's a scene where a droid phone gets hacked and while they speed it up a bit, it was pretty much exactly how youd rootkit an android. I was very impressed.

Content: I've been asked to develop a pretty involved app to do investment analysis. It HAS to be in excel so VBA it is. loving gently caress this language so hard why do they even call them classes.

Baxta fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

President Ark posted:

Wait, really? I saw a preview for Mr. Robot before a movie once and figured it'd be all HACK ALL IP ADDRESSES TO DOWNLOAD THE INTERNET nonsense.

Nope.

It's pretty solid on the tech side, in that it uses the right tools with the right hardware and the explanations and techniques are (mostly) correct. Oh, there's some hand-waving here and there, but that's mostly for narrative reasons and not because someone was lazy. What I loved was the social hacking to get into the not-Iron-Mountain facility.

I do post incident analysis at times, mostly for wireless events* (post-mortems and gap remediation write-ups), but come from a background of incident response and network forensics, and there's not been much cringe-worthy in this show so far.

* - typically involves sending a note to the customer stating, "God dammit, stop using WEP! And while you're at it, buy equipment that came out of the factory AFTER 2011. An entire locations of APs that were EOL'd 5 years ago is NOT helping."

Baxta posted:

Content: I've been asked to develop a pretty involved app to do investment analysis. It HAS to be in excel so VBA it is. loving gently caress this language so hard why do they even call them classes.

VBA needs a shovel to the back of the head and be buried once and for all.

If they want to do any kind of in depth data analysis, there's tons of pre-rolled libraries and classes to do exactly that in just about any language you need. And it will probably do it faster and not accidentally eat your data from time to time.

I wear two hats in my position and the second is designing our backend tools and systems for managing our clients and their data. My current 20% project is improving data presentation for the team and automating some of the initial analysis, so I've been diving deep into data informatics with Python lately.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 7, 2015

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

flosofl posted:

VBA needs a shovel to the back of the head and be buried once and for all.

If they want to do any kind of in depth data analysis, there's tons of pre-rolled libraries and classes to do exactly that in just about any language you need. And it will probably do it faster and not accidentally eat your data from time to time.

I wear two hats in my position and the second is designing our backend tools and systems for managing our clients and their data. My current 20% project is improving data presentation for the team and automating some of the initial analysis, so I've been diving deep into data informatics with Python lately.

Key requirement of this app is that it functions exactly the same as excel from a UI perspective.
Users need to be able to insert rows and columns and have data dynamically recalc formulas on the fly while also being able to change formulas and data.

I'm almost done with it but I just hate how i've had to do it so much it bugs me.

Any libraries in Python that'll mimic excel on the front end?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

President Ark posted:

Everything on the show is either theoretically possible or already done, although there's a bit of hand waving for narrative reasons.

I do like that they had to water down the explanations for the PM to the point of uselessness, which is pretty real to life.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baxta posted:

Key requirement of this app is that it functions exactly the same as excel from a UI perspective.
Users need to be able to insert rows and columns and have data dynamically recalc formulas on the fly while also being able to change formulas and data.

I'm almost done with it but I just hate how i've had to do it so much it bugs me.

Any libraries in Python that'll mimic excel on the front end?

There's couple of Excel plugins out there.

xlwings is an open source product on version 0.3.x that looks like it has a vba library to act as an abstraction layer between your python code an Excel. The python library itself looks like it has methods to read and write to the data structures directly. And distribution seems pretty straight forward: Make sure the xlwings.VBA is imported into the spreadsheet, distribute with the python code and make sure they have python installed on the workstation. Bonus: It's in PyPI so you can get it via pip or conda.

Here's the project page: http://xlwings.org

The only other I've found that isn't abandonware is DataNitro which is payware. If you want make custom methods, you need a Analyst ($199/user) or Enterprise ($1499/10 user) license.

https://datanitro.com

To bypass Excel completely there PySpread. But it's for 2.7 branch only and you need wxPython.

http://manns.github.io/pyspread/docs.html

Found one more: OpenPyXL - uses LibreOffice libs to present the data.

https://openpyxl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 7, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

We're working tomorrow.

I'm bringing in board games on the likely chance no one knows we're open and we barely get any calls.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

flosofl posted:

There's couple of Excel plugins out there.

xlwings is an open source product on version 0.3.x that looks like it has a vba library to act as an abstraction layer between your python code an Excel. The python library itself looks like it has methods to read and write to the data structures directly. And distribution seems pretty straight forward: Make sure the xlwings.VBA is imported into the spreadsheet, distribute with the python code and make sure they have python installed on the workstation. Bonus: It's in PyPI so you can get it via pip or conda.

Here's the project page: http://xlwings.org

The only other I've found that isn't abandonware is DataNitro which is payware. If you want make custom methods, you need a Analyst ($199/user) or Enterprise ($1499/10 user) license.

https://datanitro.com

To bypass Excel completely there PySpread. But it's for 2.7 branch only and you need wxPython.

http://manns.github.io/pyspread/docs.html

Cheers, ill check them out. I think ill fall flat on this idea because it looks like it requires specific versions of Python installed on each PC or server and accessed that way. If im going in that direction, I might dig my heels in and force them to agree to some standards and build an internal webapp on the server.

I'm up to 1500 lines of code not including "classes" and json libraries :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

We're working tomorrow.

I'm bringing in board games on the likely chance no one knows we're open and we barely get any calls.

Same, but a couple MTG preconstructed decks. I know there's a few dudes in the office who play hearthstone, so I'm hoping I can get some games in of it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

We're working tomorrow.

I'm off, but I put teamviewer on a new computer I'm getting set up and planned on remoting in tomorrow and finishing up, but I can't connect and I think the damned things asleep.

Whoops.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
People are working tomorrow?

Oh my god we need an international IT union.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Well restaurants are open. Don't think we have it worse than service industry. At least we mostly get paid a living wage.

Not you msp people. You guys are hosed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I rather look forward to working holidays. I have tomorrow off due to schedule, but if I did work tomorrow I would be taking home a pretty nice chunk of change, since time and a half of what I make is enough to make people I know with degrees cry out of jealousy.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Aunt Beth posted:

This is why you need storage virtualization, like IBM SVC. Takes all the annoyance right out of doing manual upgrades and migrations.

I'll take a look at it but in this case we use the hardware OEM from Quantum to run Stornext. Cause all the client machine are Macs running Xsan which was based off Stornext (but Apple made it bad).

Anybody who works in video supporting an Apple Xsan ask me about how Stornext can make your life easier! I'll put you in touch with our sales team :eng101:

Well mostly easier, it has its quirks but it is way better than Xsan and far cheaper (I'm assuming) than an Avid ISIS.

Re: Labor day: our office is officially closed but we have at least one 24/7 MSA so let's hope nothing breaks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"I am trying to upload X to Y, but its telling me there is a technical problem. is this the case?"

well, yeah, it loving says so right there...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Well, it's only labor day in the US.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

Well mostly easier, it has its quirks but it is way better than Xsan and far cheaper (I'm assuming) than an Avid ISIS.

Re: Labor day: our office is officially closed but we have at least one 24/7 MSA so let's hope nothing breaks.
I don't know if xsan is a supported platform to be virtualized by SVC... I've never actually known anyone to use them. I see mostly IBM, EMC, Hitachi, and HP/3par storage managed by SVC. Still worth a look I suppose.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

anthonypants posted:

Well, it's only labor day in the US.

And Canada!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
TBH I love working on holidays. There are few (if any) calls, and plenty of time to finally get on top of that goddamn documentation/scripting/reading I keep putting off.

Of course I don't want all the holiday watches - I do have kids and a wife - but a few days are nice once in a while.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Holidays (especially holidays that don't revolve around big family gatherings), are the best time to get poo poo done. All the gregarious and loud marketing and accounting people are out of the office (open concept means we have a more connected culture! :fuckoff:) and I can put my head down and code without my concentration being shattered every 5 minutes.

I don't have trouble using up my time off, I just do it when I want to.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I get 3x pay for doing nothing :getin:

...I'd rather be at home sleeping.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Volmarias posted:

Everything on the show is either theoretically possible or already done, although there's a bit of hand waving for narrative reasons.

I do like that they had to water down the explanations for the PM to the point of uselessness, which is pretty real to life.

Huh. Maybe I need to restart watching Mr Robot on this premise. I was told it deserved praise mainly for its accurate portayal of an autistic protagonist, and stopped watching when it did not do so in the slightest. I am not autistic but I worked with a few on a job years ago. One was a silent borderline math genius, the other was your basic sperg. Very hard workers though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone have an idea what can cause a user's logon to be immensely slow?
The Windows log mentions the Profile service taking more than 200 seconds to respond to Winlogon's request.

The delay is between entering logon info and seeing the desktop, i.e. the "Welcome..." screen.
No roaming profiles are involved.
Removing the local profile and having it re-created does not affect the problem.
It happens on multiple machines.
Nothing seems unusual in AD, based on PS Get-ADUser username -Properties *

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
The usual suspect is the virus scanner.

You can find out more by starting Process Monitor, going to Options->Enable Boot Logging then rebooting and logging in.
You'll get a 100000 line CSV export that you can then analyze in Excel to split up how much time is spent in which executable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Renegret posted:

I get 3x pay for doing nothing :getin:

...I'd rather be at home sleeping.

You get holiday pay tomorrow? haha...haha.... :smithicide:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A trip to Manila came in, to tighten up the L1 techs. If I survive the 22hr plane ride, I'll send the rest of you a thought from the bar.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You get holiday pay tomorrow? haha...haha.... :smithicide:

No, just today.

I'm still bitter that I missed out on Sandy though. I was a temp so I wasn't eligible for the bonus storm pay, but the full time employees were offered unlimited overtime for 3x pay for an entire week. Even as a temp working for normal time and a half over 40 hours, I still worked 14-16 hours a day for a whole week and swam in cash.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Renegret posted:

No, just today.

I'm still bitter that I missed out on Sandy though. I was a temp so I wasn't eligible for the bonus storm pay, but the full time employees were offered unlimited overtime for 3x pay for an entire week. Even as a temp working for normal time and a half over 40 hours, I still worked 14-16 hours a day for a whole week and swam in cash.

Yeah, today, that's what I meant. I wasn't in "about to go to work" mode yet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It''s okay.

I'm at work physically but not mentally. I've made some really stupid mistakes because my head isn't in the game. Doesn't help that I just got back from 5 days in Chicago.

I'm just going to go back to intentionally not doing work and not even trying to hide it.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I'm working today, which fortunately not only includes the holiday pay, but overtime on top of it. There's a reason people volunteer, not get made to. :smug:
I'm glad today is both a holiday in America and Canada, since we get clients from both countries. It's not always slow when you're working on a USA holiday that Canada doesn't have and you're still busy.

Malek posted:

Okay, seriously, wtf.

I think I need to teach your QL about "and revert" as well.
Edit: also why the hell are your names in "lastname, firstname" order?

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 7, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

A trip to Manila came in, to tighten up the L1 techs. If I survive the 22hr plane ride, I'll send the rest of you a thought from the bar.

Please tell me it's not monkey class.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lightning Jim posted:

Edit: also why the hell are your names in "lastname, firstname" order?

Wallace Shawn and Ridley Scott say hi?

Otherwise, that's what lync does by default. Makes it really confusing when people have last names like first names, or names from another language so you can't tell at first glance which is which.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Kurieg posted:

Wallace Shawn and Ridley Scott say hi?

Otherwise, that's what lync does by default. Makes it really confusing when people have last names like first names, or names from another language so you can't tell at first glance which is which.

I swear it was "first last" before, but I'm not sure now...

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Kurieg posted:

Lightning Jim posted:

I swear it was "first last" before, but I'm not sure now...

Kurieg is right. It's how it came in default with the latest Lync. What are you running in that cozy queue above mine? Pidgin?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Doesn't Lync/Skype default to whatever the Global Address Book settings are in Exchange? I admit, messaging servers are a black box to me.

What's even more awesome is there's someone at my work whose last name is my first name and whose first name is my last name. Every now and then when his department adds a new employee I'll get a flurry of messages and IM requests.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I was all smug when I read this post and then my manager called at 9:30 asking where the hell I was.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

sfwarlock posted:

I was all smug when I read this post and then my manager called at 9:30 asking where the hell I was.

They change your schedule at the last minute without telling you?

I've had that happen before....On Black Friday.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flosofl posted:

Doesn't Lync/Skype default to whatever the Global Address Book settings are in Exchange? I admit, messaging servers are a black box to me.

What's even more awesome is there's someone at my work whose last name is my first name and whose first name is my last name. Every now and then when his department adds a new employee I'll get a flurry of messages and IM requests.

At my last job, new intern came in with my name, so they gave him my email box and chat account.

I was still getting emails for him from his supervisors when I left the company.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

flosofl posted:

Eh, kinda. It pulls your outlook contacts, the GAL, your recent Caller IDs... basically whatever it can get its grubby mitts on, in no particular order.

Name changes and e-mail aliases are amazing in Lync.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

Please tell me it's not monkey class.

Monkey Comfort class, so it's like 2cm of extra legroom and my seat reclines 1 degree extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

Monkey Comfort class, so it's like 2cm of extra legroom and my seat reclines 1 degree extra.

eh, it's better than nothing. Remember to buy an "airplane-to-standard" converter for your Tablet/Laptop charger before you board. Or buy one from your standard vendor I guess.

TICKET TALK:
We use Dell Latitude E5440 for our students, and that's been discontinued. Experience shows that the Dells have had a somewhat large amount of repairs to the LCD-panels, while the ~800 iPads we're using for the smaller kids are almost entirely free from damage, in part due to the bumper case we're using but also because the screen is a lot stronger than your default laptop panel. Now we're looking at something with an equally strong screen and at a decent price, so I was wondering if any of you lot have any real-life experience with the Microsoft Surface 3 you'd be willing to share? Not the PRO-version, but the Atom-powered, eh.. non PRO. The PRO is too expensive to fit into our budget, but if the non-pro's CPU is decent for school use it could very well be a strong contender for the next purchase.

• Locked thread