Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

builds character posted:

Shhhhh. You're safe now. You can talk about it here. And post pics. Video too.

I wouldn't know anything about those things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2v2pkuLwZA

prukinski posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with that switch. My issue was that, regardless of ignition map setting, the bike was totally underwhelming at anything under half throttle, then it'd all came on in one big wallop. Which was fine for riding flat out, but felt dull as fuuuuuuck at commuting speeds. Stock throttle tube's woken the bike up nicely. Actually has some low- and mid-range oomph now. The downside is that it the stock throttle *is* pretty snatchy, I guess, but I didn't buy a ktm for practicality so that's all good by me.

Outgoing tube was a K400 G2 throttle tamer, for those playing along at home. ie: the tamest throttle they make.

I'm making a mental list of the finest mailboxes in my neighbourhood.

The K200 cam is perfect - usually the kit comes with 200, 300, and 400, so you might be able to knock the 400 off and put the 200 on. It takes it from "that's snatchy" to "butter smoove".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Bled my brakes, which was absolutely the easiest thing because I just got the World Greatest Tool, a motion pro mini bleeder. seriously It just slips on the bleeder valve, you twist and bleed and it has a little valve and hose built in, everyone go get one now. Brakes feel real good now. Did a little rear brake driftou rolling up to a stoplight.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Replaced brake pads on my DR350 but it still feels like a death trap in traffic. I'm not expecting sportbike braking power but it would be nice to have the feeling of stopping rather than just slowing down. Steel braided brake hose coming next.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

makka-setan posted:

Replaced brake pads on my DR350 but it still feels like a death trap in traffic. I'm not expecting sportbike braking power but it would be nice to have the feeling of stopping rather than just slowing down. Steel braided brake hose coming next.

Unless your current lines are old as gently caress braided hoses won't change your brake performance in any appreciable way, and even if they are old it'll still only be a small improvement.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I gave the track bike a quick shakedown in the neighborhood. I ended up fixing the angle of the new brake master cylinder so that the lever was more comfortable and provides a bit more steering clearance. I fashioned a grommet out of some rubber hose for the brake line that appears to contact the dashboard spar. Replaced the fluid in the rear brake. Verified the tire pressures are sane. Logged the tread wear in my notebook. Double checked the chain wear and slack.

Should be good to go for TWS on Labor Day :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I also rode mine around the neighborhood. My fairing stay is bent, the fairings fit like poo poo and the clipons hit the cluster at full lock but now I'm off to Chuckwalla.

I'm starting to lose that... want... to go to trackdays when the dates get close. I think its the travel time or something. It may be time for me to leave the hobby for a while.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 5, 2015

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless your current lines are old as gently caress braided hoses won't change your brake performance in any appreciable way, and even if they are old it'll still only be a small improvement.

Not sure if old as gently caress but they have passed 20 years and I can feel them bulging under pressure. Anyway, I figure a small improvement is still an improvement.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ordered the pillion peg/exhaust bracket, then put some bungee cords to help stay the muffler while I wait.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Installed new rear brake rotor, chain and sprockets.

And I washed it. I am pretty darn astonished by how well she cleaned up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The orange chain is dope.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Chichevache posted:

The orange chain is dope.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

I had buyer's remorse as soon as I walked out of the store. I thought it would look goofy and stick out like a sore thumb. Turned out good. Matches up nice, and takes attention away from the cruddy parts of the bike. Let's see how long it stays orange.

WildWanderer fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 6, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

WildWanderer posted:

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

I had buyer's remorse as soon as I walked out of the store. I thought it would look goofy and stick out like a sore thumb. Turned out good. Matches up nice, and takes attention away from the cruddy parts of the bike. Let's see how long it stays orange.

Only problem is that it appears to be on the wrong side of the bike.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Marxalot posted:

Yeah, and the kick start is on the left.

You know what? No! All the other bikes have it wrong. Bikes had the chain on the right long before they had engines.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

I think he just held the camera backwards.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did the first oil change on the CBR. Fun little bike but I can't wait to get back to a naked bike once prices drop this fall. Haven't had to deal with fairings in years and dear lord - it takes more time hunting around for those dinky 5mm bolts than it does to do the oil.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Gave it a much-needed wash & polish, though I realized halfway through wiping it off that I used the metal polish instead of the regular :facepalm:

Guy across the street came over as I was almost done and shot the bull. Turns out he has a Ninja 250, been riding for about a year, so that was cool. :3:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Marxalot posted:

Don't worry, I fixed it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There, I fixed it™

Actually not, because the exhaust bracket that connects to the downpipe is so loving corroded that I have to replace it. Oy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chris Knight posted:

There, I fixed it™

Actually not, because the exhaust bracket that connects to the downpipe is so loving corroded that I have to replace it. Oy.

You know they make stainless steel zip ties, right?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

A whole bike made of them:allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Not a DRZ, sorry.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Just painted my KLR. Now I need to find some dope stickers.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I replaced a brake hose with a steel braided one for the first time today. Removing the old and installing the new was, of course, pretty simple. But getting the fluid in and the air out was a real plain. I figured once I got some new fluid in the reservoir I could just pump it down the hose and into the caliper but that didn't work very well. After suspending the caliper above the bike, tapping the hose and shaking the caliper I finally got the last bubble out and the brake feels stiffer than ever. No time for a test ride though.

In the process I discovered that the dealer who sold it hadn't replaced the fluid as he said, just pumped enough old poo poo down the hose to replace the fluid in the reservoir. Black as death it was.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Removing rats nest from the ZRX. I swear, every (what I assume is a) heated clothing outlet I've seen on a bike is the jankiest install ever.

Also pulled the fork tubes for new oil and seals...debating to get new springs for my fat rear end.

Carbs are stripped, cleaned, tagged and bagged. Just waiting for the rebuild stuff to come Tuesday...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Remounted the key switch from the end of the bark buster to the ram mount. Also moved the ram mount further inboard to clear the mirrors when folded in.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Just painted my KLR. Now I need to find some dope stickers.
Make sure those stickers are super dope, because your KLR is perfect in every way as is. I love the storm trooper look, with wide expanses of shaped contrast. Great work. Looks really great.

I finally got around to installing the integrated signals on the ninjette. Pictures really do not do this justice, because in person it looks like it is how it should have been all along, and greatly improves the appearance of the bike as a whole. I'm incredibly happy with the change.

Now I'm just waiting to figure out how to replace the opaque plate on the bottom of the brake light so I can cut the fender and mount the plate right under the brake, way up high. The way the center light is designed, it looks like there was a rectangle of plastic that was press fit to the bottom of it. Presumably this would have been clear so the always on brake light could illuminate the plates, but on my bike its just a red opaque plastic. I tried finding a replacement for it, or a different tail light, but no luck. Sure, I could punch it out and glue a clear plastic strip on from the inside, but I'd like to find something more OEM.

Plus I figured out how to put the bike on the center stand easily, and finally cleaned and lubed the chain.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
CBR - The Saga Continues

So two weeks back we got the bike back together and firing. As we fiddled with the idle we noticed a leaking coolant hose going from the water pump to the head. No big deal, I'll just order the part and fix it after vacation.

Cut to last night. Drained the coolant, swapped the offending hose, topped up the coolant using a proprietary non-front-fairing removal method comprised of creative tubing use and profanity, and fired it up. What smells like gas? poo poo. Looked down to find a nice little puddle forming below the carb drain tubes. It spotted very briefly the first time we fired it up and then resolved itself, but this time it's consistent, no doubt to the thrill of anyone walking by who heard my exclamation of "Oh poo poo", accompanied by the smell of gas.

Consultation with noted stoichiomancer and general oldbikes/txt enthusiast GnarlyCharlie suggests it's probably a stuck float/float valve. On the plus side at least the removal and evisceration of carbs is fresh in my mind.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The_Maz posted:

CBR - The Saga Continues

So two weeks back we got the bike back together and firing. As we fiddled with the idle we noticed a leaking coolant hose going from the water pump to the head. No big deal, I'll just order the part and fix it after vacation.

Cut to last night. Drained the coolant, swapped the offending hose, topped up the coolant using a proprietary non-front-fairing removal method comprised of creative tubing use and profanity, and fired it up. What smells like gas? poo poo. Looked down to find a nice little puddle forming below the carb drain tubes. It spotted very briefly the first time we fired it up and then resolved itself, but this time it's consistent, no doubt to the thrill of anyone walking by who heard my exclamation of "Oh poo poo", accompanied by the smell of gas.

Consultation with noted stoichiomancer and general oldbikes/txt enthusiast GnarlyCharlie suggests it's probably a stuck float/float valve. On the plus side at least the removal and evisceration of carbs is fresh in my mind.

And you greased the boots so getting them of and back on again won't be so bad.
Doublecheck all the hoses for splits or cracks including the fuel pump and tank. It could be dripping straight down from somewhere instead of running down the hose.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

And you greased the boots so getting them of and back on again won't be so bad.
Doublecheck all the hoses for splits or cracks including the fuel pump and tank. It could be dripping straight down from somewhere instead of running down the hose.

Pretty much everything from (and including) petcock to the fuel rail of the carb was replaced with fresh rubber two weeks ago. That said, I'll reinspect them all tonight before I pull things. Given my luck to date it seems like a good call.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last weekend I did a midnight guerrilla tasseling on a friend's R1200GS. It is kept in a carport under a cover so it was easy.

He got up early the next morning to go for a ride and was amused.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hahaha that's excellent.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Last weekend I did a midnight guerrilla tasseling on a friend's R1200GS. It is kept in a carport under a cover so it was easy.

He got up early the next morning to go for a ride and was amused.

Hehe

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Towed it home.

Apparently some critter cut his teeth on my VFR's wiring. The bike grounded out and drained the battery before I could figure out what was happening.
I'd love to ride for more than 2 consecutive days without having to deal with poo poo like this. :sigh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Crashed it. Twice. :saddowns:

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Chichevache posted:

Crashed it. Twice. :saddowns:

In one day? Story time!

P.S. sorry that happened. Hope you're alright.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

WildWanderer posted:

In one day? Story time!

P.S. sorry that happened. Hope you're alright.

I'm fine. Still finished work. Report up when I get home, if I don't pass out first. Short story: I'm dumb, but gear is smart, so I'm ok. Going helmet shopping later and I'll probably just get another Icon Airmada.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

I'm fine. Still finished work. Report up when I get home, if I don't pass out first. Short story: I'm dumb, but gear is smart, so I'm ok. Going helmet shopping later and I'll probably just get another Icon Airmada.

First rain? We got enough rain to pool water, but not enough to wash anything away. I fishtailed most of a block last night on my scooter where the road had a steep crown and a downright soapy surface. Got it back inline and kicked right back out again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

monsterzero posted:

First rain? We got enough rain to pool water, but not enough to wash anything away. I fishtailed most of a block last night on my scooter where the road had a steep crown and a downright soapy surface. Got it back inline and kicked right back out again.

Yuuuuup. I got off the freeway as soon as it started raining. I tried accounting for how slippery it was, but I must have given it too much throttle despite that.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
More disassembly. Found out why the steering felt like it had detents...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Californians and cute in the rain.