Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

morestuff posted:

I've always read that First Blood is a lot more grounded than the sequels but Rambo is popping a wheelie on a dirt bike within the first 20 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0

If it wasn't a useful tactic, would *the* Delta Force use it?

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

morestuff posted:

I wasn't being earnest, the movie's obviously a lot more tonally similar to the 70s thrillers it descended from than the 80s action of most of the series. On the other hand, it does make some of the elements (Dennehy's Bullitt stunts, the rat attack in the cave, the explosion-heavy climax) feel out of place. It's a transitional piece in more ways than one.
Watch Jack Starrett's Nam's Angels/The Losers (1970).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SubG posted:

Watch Jack Starrett's Nam's Angels/The Losers (1970).

Will do.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0

If it wasn't a useful tactic, would *the* Delta Force use it?

Commander Hunter disagrees...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLwe7UqUX7k

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Holy poo poo I forgot Ace Hunter was played by Barry Bostwick! Goddrat was MegaForce ever the tits when saw it in the theater as an 11 year old. I even had a bunch of the toys!

DeltaForce kicks rear end too, along with Invasion USA which I'm going to watch now on Netflix :D

Edit: dangit, it's only available as a DVD from Netflix

Editx2: Speaking of First Blood, any of you old fucks like me remember Ruckus with Dirk Benedict and Linda Blair? From what I remember the plot was similar to First Blood but it was far worse in execution.

I really miss the jingoistic and trashy action films of the 80s :(

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 6, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Rifftrax just did a release of Megaforce...It is a special film... I also saw it in the theater. I was the only person in there and I was well into college at the time.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
anthony bourdain: parts unknown is a good show to lay on the couch and watch. bourdain reminds me of jeremy clarkson if clarkson wasn't a huge cocksucker.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched Disciples of the 36th Chamber. It was just okay.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched Disciples of the 36th Chamber. It was just okay.

I liked it, but thought it was just ok until the terrific set piece at the end.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

I liked it, but thought it was just ok until the terrific set piece at the end.

The end was cool but I was really sleepy by then

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Narcos is fun, but man does it have HBO DNA in terms of nudity quota. My biggest issue is some of the writing often is decent to even great at times, but it does take some dips into pure corn. I would recommend it if you have more then a passing interest in Escobar.

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY

SmokaDustbowl posted:

anthony bourdain: parts unknown is a good show to lay on the couch and watch. bourdain reminds me of jeremy clarkson if clarkson wasn't a huge cocksucker.

+1 to cocksucker

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Junkie Disease posted:

Narcos is fun, but man does it have HBO DNA in terms of nudity quota. My biggest issue is some of the writing often is decent to even great at times, but it does take some dips into pure corn. I would recommend it if you have more then a passing interest in Escobar.
I have two episodes left and I'm a bit confused how there will be another season. Does this season not end with Pablo's death?

Does anyone know how historically accurate the series is? The only stuff I know about Pablo is from the ESPN The Two Escobars (which would be a good companion piece if it's still up). The sorta half-documentary approach of the show is a bit odd. It feels like the series is historical exposition with some drama bits interspersed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

david_a posted:

I have two episodes left and I'm a bit confused how there will be another season. Does this season not end with Pablo's death?

Does anyone know how historically accurate the series is? The only stuff I know about Pablo is from the ESPN The Two Escobars (which would be a good companion piece if it's still up). The sorta half-documentary approach of the show is a bit odd. It feels like the series is historical exposition with some drama bits interspersed.

Dunno about the accuracy but I like the style mixing in and out of narratives on the broader aspects of the story / putting things into global perspective and then back again into the tense details of day to day stuff going on with the agents and their targets.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

david_a posted:

Spoilers, dog. I don't watch real life.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

david_a posted:

I'm assuming if Pablo is talking to less than 5 people the entire conversation is assumed and fabricated. The explosivo episode had me laughing at the serious scenes.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm assuming if Pablo is talking to less than 5 people the entire conversation is assumed and fabricated. The explosivo episode had me laughing at the serious scenes.
From some quick Wikipedia reading it appears that a lot of it is stuff that everyone assumes more or less happened, but the series only presents one of many theories. I guess that makes sense, since if Colombia is only half as corrupt and messy as is depicted in the show, there's probably haven't been a lot of definite investigations. I was surprised that the slutty reporter and even his wife are fictitious characters, although they are probably heavily based on the real versions (they are both still alive so I wonder if they were avoiding any slander charges).

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Wow. I went from rooting for Vic to get past Kavanaugh to rooting for his destruction. The contrast of Shane "losing" but getting to say goodbye to his family, and Vic "winning" but never getting to see his family again. Even then, he just internalizes it and goes off to cause more havoc in the world.

I used to not like Michael Chiklis because of The Commish, but drat that man has some acting chops.

That really was a masterful finale.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's great. Does Vic go start some more poo poo or just go home? It doesn't really matter because either way we all know he didn't learn a loving thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's great. Does Vic go start some more poo poo or just go home? It doesn't really matter because either way we all know he didn't learn a loving thing.

Chiklis wanted to do a follow up series, so I think we can safely say he learned nothing.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Wow. I went from rooting for Vic to get past Kavanaugh to rooting for his destruction. The contrast of Shane "losing" but getting to say goodbye to his family, and Vic "winning" but never getting to see his family again. Even then, he just internalizes it and goes off to cause more havoc in the world.

I don't know where I read this, and I can't link a quote, but I once read (immediately after the series ended) that Shawn Ryan knew exactly how he wanted to conclude everything, with Vic stuck in exactly that place. He wasn't sure about how it would get there but that was always where he wanted the character to wind up. (I love that show and I don't think it gets nearly enough credit among the shows ranked as Very Good, possibly because it has a ton of monster-of-the-week content that maybe dilutes its most impressive dramatic moments)

Very enormous Shield spoiler: Shane dropping the grenade is one of my favorite moments in all of television, even surpassing stuff in The Wire which I think is a much better show overall, just because of how out-of-nowhere it is, until you realize that this is who Vic taught him to be. When you think about their entire history, this is what Vic has always groomed Shane to do. Shane takes it pretty far, but the finale demonstrates that, if it really came down to that exact situation, Vic would probably have done the exact same thing if it were 100% necessary to save his own rear end (which, in Shane's mind, it is). I love it because so few series have this many conflicted, flawed, outright bad characters vying against each other, and despite that you constantly can find yourself not sure whom to root for.

Anyway I am only here to say that if you like Korean movies at all (and almost every single Korean movie involves revenge or hitmen in some capacity) I really liked No Tears For The Dead, on Netflix (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3697566/). It's like some mix of The Departed/Infernal Affairs, a typical Korean hitman film, and the third act of Die Hard. Dramatic and involved but still entertaining and actiony.

edit: Okay I guess Shawn Ryan didn't always know how he wanted The Shield to end, but he did for "a couple of years:" "the idea of Vic in a suit, in an office somewhere, consigned to Hell. I knew that, but I had no idea how to get there. But we figured out the Shane stuff, and the family stuff, and we had to figure out how to get there." http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2008/11/the_shield_shawn_ryan_postfina.html

that's actually a great interview to read immediately after you've finished The Shield, because sometimes these productions are very methodical and businesslike, and this is a case in which the show's creator almost can't bear to sit and see the conclusion of his own show because of how rough it gets. I love knowing there's actual heart behind this stuff sometimes

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 7, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Housebound is an awesome comedy horror. I want to say it feels like a children's movie at heart but that sounds like I'm calling it poo poo, which I'm not, but it's just light hearted and does a bunch of things which are really silly but work great.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Spoilers, dog. I don't watch real life.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

narcos is very good but very weirdly paced. they basically zoom through like 10 years in the first five episodes and then the time progression gets way slower. Its almost like they planned for a 1 season show and then halfway through they learned they were gonna do another one. I hope they don't try to drag it out longer than one more season.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Turbo Kid is on Amazon Prime and it's a fun little movie despite going way too hard on the 80s aesthetic. I thought it was going to be a kids movie but it's much closer to Hobo With A Shotgun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Starks posted:

narcos is very good but very weirdly paced. they basically zoom through like 10 years in the first five episodes and then the time progression gets way slower. Its almost like they planned for a 1 season show and then halfway through they learned they were gonna do another one. I hope they don't try to drag it out longer than one more season.

Yeah when they get to the third episode its like way to skip an entire season of shows.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

hemale in pain posted:

Housebound is an awesome comedy horror. I want to say it feels like a children's movie at heart but that sounds like I'm calling it poo poo, which I'm not, but it's just light hearted and does a bunch of things which are really silly but work great.
Is it scary horror? I guess I mean, in what way is it a horror movie? I can deal with Cabin in the Woods-style horror or Slither-style horror for the sake of a good comedy, but if poo poo's jumping out or whatever it freaks me out because I'm a baby.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Starks posted:

They only have about a year left to cover. It would be mildly amusing if the time scale keeps decreasing. Season 4 will be the last ten hours of Escobar's life!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is it scary horror? I guess I mean, in what way is it a horror movie? I can deal with Cabin in the Woods-style horror or Slither-style horror for the sake of a good comedy, but if poo poo's jumping out or whatever it freaks me out because I'm a baby.

You'll be fine. It won't bother you.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You'll be fine. It won't bother you.
OK, thanks. Follow up question to everyone else: is Raskolnikov2089 loving with me? Thanks in advance.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

OK, thanks. Follow up question to everyone else: is Raskolnikov2089 loving with me? Thanks in advance.

No. Housebound is good. Stop being a baby

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's a little bit creepy but not bad.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I'm also a big baby and I watched it. It's fine.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Seriously, it's really no more scary than an episode of Goosebumps. I loved the movie, had a great time watching, plan on watching it again soon. But it isn't even a little scary.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Hulu Plus has Mister Lonely and it's weirder and more annoying than I remembered.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Hulu Plus has Mister Lonely and it's weirder and more annoying than I remembered.

Still my favorite Korine movie.

Also, Byzantium on Netflix is a nice, emotive little vampire movie.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
We stumbled into a double feature of Popeye and 3 Women (both on Netflix) this weekend and enjoyed the experience. I'd recommend watching them in that order just because 3 Women is a better movie, but it's interesting to note how the financial failure of critically successful movies like 3 Women are why Altman ended up making movies like Popeye, which confused the poo poo out of critics but killed at the box office. Personally, I find the latter charming & the songs are great. 3 Women is enjoyable just to watch Shelley Duvall & Sissy Spacek try to out-weird each other.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Popeye is absolutely bizarre and also really drat good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Popeye is absolutely bizarre and also really drat good.

And despite being a completely different film, you could say the exact same thing about 3 Women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Foodfight is up on Prime and it is indescribable agony to sit through. It's like a much more nakedly cynical attempt at what the Lego Movie does, except it's also incomprehensibly ugly and badly plotted. I read on wiki that the movie was finished by an insurance company after the studio defaulted on its debt to them, and you can really tell that insurance salesmen made this film.

It's fascinating that anyone believed that there would be a market for a movie about product mascots, and also that a ton of conglomerates clearly revoked permission to use their logos and mascots after seeing the thing. There are rows and rows of blank white boxes between occasional Swifers in tons of scenes. Mr. Clean and Charlie Tuna are about the only brands left. It's kind of fun trying to figure out which national brands were changed to generic characters at the last minute.

It also has the insidious message that the store brand is evil and an enemy to kids' beloved food products, not that any kids could make it that far into the movie without getting motion sickness.