Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Krakkles posted:

I feel like this is the second time you seem to be addressing comments to me (in this page) that seem to relate to you thinking I don't know how drivetrains work.

I'm sorry if I've miscommunicated, but I'm perfectly aware of how fast I can drive my jeep and where I can drive it. I'm getting this impression that you're trying to correct me and, if you are, it's misguided.

I'm explaining the speed limit for the benefit of other people in the thread that may not understand why you shouldn't go fast in 4lo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is a 3800 to big to fit? I know its a pretty wide for a V6

It would fit and even bolt up (GM 3800 has the 60* bolt pattern although it's a 90* V). The SC 3800 would be sweet as gently caress, but the 3.4 is literally a drop in replacement. I can use all my accessories, computer, harness, and everything on it. I'm upgrading to a 4.3 throttle body and boring my intake to match, and it will have an aftermarket cam and roller rockers. It will be a big improvement, having driven a 3.4 trooper previously, and very little hassle to swap. With the 3800, it would bolt up to the trans, but that would be the end of the simple stuff. I'd have a lot more fiddling to do, and the last thing I want is another neverending project or constant troubleshooting. If I ever (when I) go down the ~300hp engine rabbit hole, I'll probably go with a vortec 5.3 GM or something with a ton of aftermarket to keep things as easy as possible.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ferremit posted:

Been watching a few Moab videos- How the hell do people wheel on rock that grippy without shattering CV's like glass?

Im only asking because we blew up a CV joint in a new ford ranger doing a hard turn on bitumen with it in high range 4wd and Moab looks like its all grippy rock and low range work.

Keep the feet off the skinny pedal basically, and try not to snap the brakes too hard when you got a big wheel spinning in the air.

In the Hummer out there I'm usually in 4Lo on the transfer case and the lockers off for 99% of Moab. As others said it's curvy pavement. That being said I had my tires too low without beadlocks, and lost a bead, no big deal, we used the old ether trick to reseat the sucker and was back wheeling again in 15 minutes.

The only time I ever used lockers was for a few feet just to get over really really steep inclines like the hot tub and anything where all the change in the truck starts shooting to the back seats.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

murphle posted:

Your Ranger does have a front differential, but it most likely doesn't have a center differential in the transfer case. If it wasn't advertised as "full time 4wd", which requires a center diff to allow front-rear speed differences in 4wd/AWD on hard tarmac, then it just has a simple transfer case that locks front and rear driveshaft outputs together. Every 4wd has a front differential, with a few (Jeep Rubicon?, older Land Cruisers, real G-wagens etc) offering some way to lock that diff up for true 4wd.

Ah, I see. Thanks! It is certainly not "full time 4wd", and the descriptions I've read and heard about the transfer case are all pretty simple.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dragged the WJ through some mountains all day. One of the local clubs does a massive run (~150 Jeeps total) up the backway to Crown King every year. In my particular group it was a shitload of Wranglers (including a stretched, coilover, LSX-powered CJ... yeah :getin: ), my WJ, and one XK Commander. It gets a bit hairy in spots, especially when (shortly after the last pic, distance-wise) a total of about 80 Jeeps in one direction encounters about 10 side-by-sides in the opposite direction, on a two-track shelf road. I'm not gonna lie, I was sucking up some seat while hugging the wall to avoid punting the side-by-sides off the cliff.

And proof of a dirty Jeep, which of course got blasted clean by rain on the way home:

Those side-steps are coming off next chance I get, and goddamn do I need a lift so I can stop banging into / bouncing off of rocks that JKs with mild lifts just ignore. The XK made it through the whole thing too, minus a cut tire.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Looks like good times, I'm always envious of you desert dwellers and the amazing scenery you have there.

IOwnCalculus posted:

(including a stretched, coilover, LSX-powered CJ... yeah :getin: )

And yet, I notice a distinct lack of any pictures of this most AI of Jeeps. :colbert:

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion Automotive Insanity

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

And yet, I notice a distinct lack of any pictures of this most AI of Jeeps. :colbert:

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion Automotive Insanity

It's actually the one in front of me in the second pic, but I didn't get any proper photos of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Video of one of the more nerve-wracking parts of the run. I was a bit nervous trying to sneak past all of these side-by-sides on this shelf road, and if I were any of them I wouldn't be staying in - they're all parked as close to the edge as possible. From what the spotters were saying I had enough room but all it would take is one Jeep bumping one SxS and they're tumbling a good long way down.

No way either group could realistically back up. There wasn't anywhere for them to do so for a looong way past where they were, and behind me was somewhere on the order of 80-90 Jeeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMWwuHpdYYw

Reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLxszv9eCM&t=390s

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My new project with my buddy Steve giving it some throttle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHV2KDwu0Hg

I went through the carbs and got it running snappy, but I just ordered a wideband kit for it so I can fine tune it. Also I learned how to tune Keihin CVK carbs. Not easy but I'll tell you, OEM spec carb's from 2008 are a hell of a lot nicer than 90's and 80's era poo poo.

It's got around $4000 in go fast engine work. Only bottlenecks right now are the small size carbs and the unported heads. I will address both if the motor doesn't blow up on me. If it does, then a 1000cc sportbike motor will be going in. Currently it has the parts to make around 70hp at the wheels.

Next order of business, I'll be working with a local fabricator to get the seating low, the dash low, a chassis stretch, and a full on desert race style cage.

here is a before/after of something like how I want it to end up

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Well after almost 2 years [:psyduck:] the redneck parade float will ride again...

Put the order in for a custom built 6.5 replacement, remaned/polished crank, new military GEP optimizer block with mahle internals, etc.

I couldn't order a new engine from the factory :v: I wonder why......

http://bgr.com/2015/08/27/meet-the-jltv-part-tank-part-ultimate-off-road-racing-machine/

OH, that's right AM General lost the JLTV award...

So Oskkosh's MATV will be the next generation tactical truck, which, objectively is probably the best deal for the armed forces. [Like Lockheed ever had a chance]

One of my friends races a class H1 in the Baja 1000 for over a decade, and was hired as a driver for one of the 2 MATV oshkosh racing trucks back when they took their JLTV prototype down to Mexico in 2013 for the Baja 1000.

That apparently was a good play, since the military during the award for the JLTV competition stated they were impressed they took a cold concept truck and threw it into a grueling desert race and finished it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xngUwIv_qp0

Some cool stuff. My friend had a few observations on AM General vs Oshkosh and wasn't surprised at the outcome.

Can't wait to see the FOE/evaluation publication on the JLTV selection competition.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dragged the WJ through some mountains all day. One of the local clubs does a massive run (~150 Jeeps total) up the backway to Crown King every year.

My uncle lives in Crown King. When I lived in Phoenix I spent a couple weekends every month up there. Have been in ten plus years but it was a fun trip even back then. Just pray you don't get any rain, poo poo gets bad quick.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Took the jeep and bikes deep into the mendocino forest over the weekend.

Bonus shots of my gently caress you headlights

"low"

"high"

and on the drive home, saw this thing just start to catch fire. watched it burn to the loving ground within minutes.

It *was* a bmw X3. Tire shop had installed one tire too big causing the fire.

Edit: more photos!

Its mostly tame fire roads.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 8, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

It *was* a bmw X3. Tire shop had installed one tire too big causing the fire.

You mean you had your high beams aimed at it for about 30 seconds, right? Because with those lights it seems more plausible than "wrong tire size".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

You mean you had your high beams aimed at it for about 30 seconds, right? Because with those lights it seems more plausible than "wrong tire size".

hahahahahahahaha

X-drive system. awd and one off sized tire + bmw electrics really don't like it apparently.

When we got there the fire was under the rear diff, and at the R/R tire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

Just pray you don't get any rain, poo poo gets bad quick.

Meant to reply to this earlier - there were threatening clouds the entire time but we stayed completely dry until all the way back into Phoenix. I'm glad for that, the Variloks in my WJ are better than open diffs, but they still take a bit to lock up and one of the rockier water crossings had me spinning tires for longer than I'd have liked.

cursedshitbox posted:

X-drive system. awd and one off sized tire + bmw electrics really don't like it apparently.

When we got there the fire was under the rear diff, and at the R/R tire.

Possibly the tire caused the computer to constantly apply the brake on that corner until it cooked? That's the only thing I can think of - Wikipedia claims the front/rear diffs are open, so it's not like the computer could've gone nuts with applying a clutch in a way that made it overheat the gear oil and puke some onto the exhaust. At any rate, still very much a :wtf:.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So stupid newb question. I just got back from vacation. Rented a hideous Cherokee trailhawk and drove some trails in Moab and sand dunes national park. It was a ducking blast and now I'm considering trying to find something to drive trails in the south east with. Any recommended reading or go to miatas of the off road world?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sadi posted:

So stupid newb question. I just got back from vacation. Rented a hideous Cherokee trailhawk and drove some trails in Moab and sand dunes national park. It was a ducking blast and now I'm considering trying to find something to drive trails in the south east with. Any recommended reading or go to miatas of the off road world?

4.0 Cherokee is the offroading miata. I can't find the flow chart that only has three cars on it, miata, e30, 4.0 cherokee.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, if you thought the Cherokee Trailhawk was fun, just wait until you have an XJ that's lightly modded. Light years better.

Anyone in SoCal going to the KC HiLites Midnight Special? I'll be out there with some friends. CB probably on channel 16, 2m on but unknown what channel too.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 9, 2015

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Yeah, a 4.0L near stock Jeep seems to be the way to go. Or maybe get a old Toyota Tacoma pickup 4x4.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Big K of Justice posted:

Yeah, a 4.0L near stock Jeep ... pickup 4x4.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Went to Big Bear again to explore some of the easier/scenic trails:

First one I think was holcomb creek, it had 3-4 rock gardens which weren't super challenging but were quite fun.

Found a nice parking spot.

Coming down off it I think was where I tore my driveshaft boot while scraping my belly. (my only other injury was losing the bolt keeping in my lower front driver bump stop extention so it was just bouncing around inside the spring all the time)

Second trail was Pontiac Sluice/Heartbreak ridge. This one was a lot longer and had a few mines and abandoned vehicles. We did this whole trail but unfortunately missed out on the memorial plaque at the summit :(

This looks basically like a mill, but not sure.

Tons of tincans around nearby the old mill structure, not sure what was once here.

An old abandoned truck (not sure what it once was?)

After we found a filled-in mine, nearby it was this one

It went down 100s of feet until we couldn't see in any more, at about a 45degree angle. With all the slippery rocks around it wasnt very safe.

Then we found the actual Pontiac. It was once a 1960's Pontiac Ventura

Then at the very end we found another mine, this time closed up by BLM to stop people killing themselves inside it

The beautiful desert.

I now want to go find a lot more mines in that area. I've seen a few posted across desert exploration sites to check out next time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Round two, race recruiting:

Anyone going to the 2015 MORE Racing Powder Puff Race for a Cure?

I'll be out there working the course - look for the Deathproof XJ and/or hit me on CB channel 16.

This one is fun! It's for a good cause, and it's all chicks driving!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Didn't I just see an article on Jalopnik that said that race got hosed by BLM?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Didn't I just see an article on Jalopnik that said that race got hosed by BLM?
Jalopnik hasn't been worth reading in years, so I don't know. A quick google didn't suggest so, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Found it here and it looks like More's website lists the postponement as well.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Made a trip up to Windrock Offroad Park last week with a few friends.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/96792720@N06/84c85d

Freaking amazing. Nothing like that here in Florida and we def put our Jeeps to work. Mines the white 4 door. We'll be going back next year and spending a whole week, we were there 2 fulls days and barely saw any of the trails.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mattfl posted:

Made a trip up to Windrock Offroad Park last week with a few friends.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/96792720@N06/84c85d

Freaking amazing. Nothing like that here in Florida and we def put our Jeeps to work. Mines the white 4 door. We'll be going back next year and spending a whole week, we were there 2 fulls days and barely saw any of the trails.

Great looking photos. The blue-gray Rubicon makes me desperately wish I had enough money to cheat on my oldass XJ because goddamn I love that color.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Great looking photos. The blue-gray Rubicon makes me desperately wish I had enough money to cheat on my oldass XJ because goddamn I love that color.

I've actually considered how difficult it would be to mix that color from tractor paints.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

I've actually considered how difficult it would be to mix that color from tractor paints.

He recently put the Rock Hard cage inside it and wanted it painted the same color, his painter had the hardest time matching the color but did a pretty good job. He originally wanted it powder coated and the powder coater basically said it wasn't possible to match it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Found it here and it looks like More's website lists the postponement as well.
Back on!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So yeah, heres the deal. Im still eyeing playing with off roading. Mudin sounds lame as poo poo to me. But I love the idea of some rough trails and camping. Problem is Im in south carolina and not CO or UT. So I figure my options are something like a 1k-2k XJ, a ~5k FJZ80 with lockers, or a wrangler I can find around 5k or under. The way I see it (having done next to no off roading) lockers are super handy, and basically the FJ has hardcore diffs and good enough lockers that its mark up might make up for what id have to spend on lockers (and probably bigger diffs) for an XJ. Am I being a dumb rear end, and should just buy a lovely 1K xj, beat it to poo poo and see what happens?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sadi posted:

So yeah, heres the deal. Im still eyeing playing with off roading. Mudin sounds lame as poo poo to me. But I love the idea of some rough trails and camping. Problem is Im in south carolina and not CO or UT. So I figure my options are something like a 1k-2k XJ, a ~5k FJZ80 with lockers, or a wrangler I can find around 5k or under. The way I see it (having done next to no off roading) lockers are super handy, and basically the FJ has hardcore diffs and good enough lockers that its mark up might make up for what id have to spend on lockers (and probably bigger diffs) for an XJ. Am I being a dumb rear end, and should just buy a lovely 1K xj, beat it to poo poo and see what happens?

XJ. Lockers aren't super important if it's an auto. You can two foot the gas n brake which effectively is a locker. Also, if you're camping, you shouldn't really be trying obstacles that require lockers anyways.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

XJ. Lockers aren't super important if it's an auto. You can two foot the gas n brake which effectively is a locker. Also, if you're camping, you shouldn't really be trying obstacles that require lockers anyways.
Also, lockers aren't some super expensive thing. Get a lunchbox locker put in the front, it shouldn't cost more than $5-600 parts and labor.

You could put one in the rear too, but then you're affecting streetability (subjective, I like the way my Jeep drives now that it has lockers in both ends).

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Sadi posted:

Depending on where you are in SC, there's lots of wheelin' to be done. I'm just outside of Charlotte and I've got Uwharrie, Brown Mtn (not much, but not nothing), Devil's Playground, and the Gulches all within about 2 hrs, and some other stuff a little further west in TN.

I am going to go against the goon consensus and vote a resounding FZJ80 if you can get your mits on one from the mid 90's with less than 200k for $5k. It's an overbuilt, capable, comfortable, dependable rig. Heavier but thats about the only downfall compared to an XJ. XJ's are ok, don't get me wrong, but if you are going to actually wheel it with larger than stock tires, you're going to start swapping parts in, starting with the rear axle if it's the POS dana 35.. A toyota 4runner of any vintage is also a great capable dependable wheeler (if you look at a 90-95 with the 3.0 make sure the head gaskets have been done). More room for you and your poo poo in the 80 also.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For an XJ you can lock it up pretty cheaply as noted. I've got a pretty good/cheap setup right now, auto locker in the front ($200 or so) and a stock LSD in the rear (I have a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 so I pillaged one from a late 8.25 equipped Dakota/Durango and bolted it right in, then readjusted my carrier backlash/preload back into spec and moved on with my life. Total cost $50 or so at the junkyard.)

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Camping and some nice backroads in my FJ. Mt. Lassen National Park:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 22, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

That is a lot of stingers.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

That is a lot of stingers.

We all like the look of them, what can i say lol

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Took the wife, kid, and bird birb up into the woods this past weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Kid does not match birb/jeep color scheme, 2/10 would not rent again

dig that crown tho