Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am pretty sure epics are for poo poo that wouldn't sell well enough to warrant an omnibus. This is undercut a bit by some of the random poo poo they make omnibuses for.

They have epics of poo poo they already made omnibus's for and lets not forget THE CROSSING and SECRET WAR 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel is able to do omnbius collections of the Crossing, X-Force by Rob Liefeld, Onslaught and John Byrne's odds and ends. DC, meanwhile, managed to screw up the New Teen Titans omnibus collections so much they've had to restart it as a TPB series.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Wheat Loaf posted:

DC, meanwhile, managed to screw up the New Teen Titans omnibus collections so much they've had to restart it as a TPB series.

I'm not convinced that they won't screw up the trades too.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
Irredeemable is finally getting the proper hardcover treatment, about time.

http://www.boom-studios.com/definitive-irredeemable-hardcover-vol-1-5623.html

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Street Soldier posted:

They did a hardcover absolute style for the first half (I own it), but they never finished the series in that format, which sucks hard.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

Karnegal posted:

They did a hardcover absolute style for the first half (I own it), but they never finished the series in that format, which sucks hard.

I'd take that over these, you'd think two oversized slipcases would be less expensive than 5 or so premiere hardcovers for them to produce as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Arrived for me in the post today:

(Not sure why the pictures are sideways. :shrug:)

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I am blown the gently caress away by the quality of this Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus. The comics look incredible.

What are some other "must-have" Marvel Omnis (that are in-print or otherwise reasonably-priced used)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

beergod posted:

I am blown the gently caress away by the quality of this Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus. The comics look incredible.

What are some other "must-have" Marvel Omnis (that are in-print or otherwise reasonably-priced used)?
Walt Simonson's Thor
New X-Men
Alias
Avengers The Crossing

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Very cool.

Did they include Action 600?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Very cool.

Did they include Action 600?

Nope

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Well that's weird. It was included in the original Perez trades, and it's a pretty important Supes/WW story (and Perez inked over Byrne's pencils) that both titles had been leading towards. Wonder why they killed it.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Endless Mike posted:

Walt Simonson's Thor

This, a thousand times (though it may not count as "reasonably" priced at this point).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Well that's weird. It was included in the original Perez trades, and it's a pretty important Supes/WW story (and Perez inked over Byrne's pencils) that both titles had been leading towards. Wonder why they killed it.

Regardless, I've already got it via the Man of Steel trades.

They're probably never doing vol. 9 of that line, are they? :sigh:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're probably never doing vol. 9 of that line, are they? :sigh:
Good one! :mmmhmm:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

This, a thousand times (though it may not count as "reasonably" priced at this point).

I have an extra still in the shrink wrap I'd be willing to part with.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read the first issue of this last year, saw an omnibus was on the way, and have been biding my time for this beautiful broad. Thanks for confirming (in those pics at least) that I did not wait in vain.

The book lets out a satisfying crackle of sewn binding when you open it, right?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

You open your HCs? Wtf.

Can someone proficient with Twitter ask J.H. Williams 3 if/when Promethea Immateria is going to be released?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Fish posted:

The book lets out a satisfying crackle of sewn binding when you open it, right?

I haven't taken it out of the plastic yet, actually! I'm still on JSA Vol. 3 at the moment. :shobon:

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Zachack posted:

You open your HCs? Wtf.

Can someone proficient with Twitter ask J.H. Williams 3 if/when Promethea Immateria is going to be released?

I'm fairly certain there was an announcement about it being canceled.

I had a conversation on twitter about it a few weeks ago, included JH and he didn't respond.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought it was delayed for sandman.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Zachack posted:

I thought it was delayed for sandman.

My understanding was JH left on bad terms and it was canceled for that reason and/or low interest/pre-orders.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Does amazon get their stuff a week late for some reason?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

beergod posted:

Yeah, Diamond no longer supplies them so they have to wait.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

beergod posted:

Usually 1-3 weeks behind comic shops. Are you waiting for Saga Vol. 5, by any chance?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
No, the new Swamp Thing HC. It looks rad so I'm bummed I'm getting it next week.

In other news, I hit the Long Beach Comic Con this weekend (my first con aside from a brief visit to San Diego a few years back). I buy mainly Omnis and collections so it was kind of a bust (BUT Kirkman's company had a booth there so I snagged the two Walking Dead and two Invincible HC Compendiums for $320 total, which was great because they're hard to get for that price online.

The cool thing (aside from the Kirkman stuff) I found was that apparently cheapgraphicnovels.com has two "sister stores" in So Cal called Pulp Fiction. They are retail stores that sell graphic novels at basically Amazon rates; all Marvel/DC and books are 40% off, Image is 30% off, etc. This blew my mind because every single comics store I've visited since I got into this a little over two months ago sold *everything* at MSRP. I was like a kid in a candy store and ended up spending a poo poo ton of money.

Why don't other comic book stores do this? Are the margins just too low?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless you make a certain order threshold it can be hard to offer static discounts across the board. In Stock Trades is your best bet for good prices on new books.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Yessssssssss!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shameless posted:

Yessssssssss!

Wonder if the copyrighted characters are going to be included or they find away around that issue

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Just had a move, so I think it time for a new picture!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Wonder if the copyrighted characters are going to be included or they find away around that issue

Isn't Shang-Chi's father some character from a separate company's book or movie and that's why his father is always referred to indirectly?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Isn't Shang-Chi's father some character from a separate company's book or movie and that's why his father is always referred to indirectly?

Its Fu Manchu.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Its Fu Manchu.

A bunch of the supporting cast is also from the books, so its been a copyright clusterfuck for a long time.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

What are the odds of Morrison's Batman run getting an Absolute Edition? Batman Inc, Batman and Robin and Final Crisis have all gotten theirs and it sure would be nice having a whole set on my shelf.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Street Soldier posted:

Nice! I hope they complete the series and add Incorruptible to it. Such an awesome little series.

Shameless posted:

Yessssssssss!

SWEET!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Alhazred posted:

Its Fu Manchu.

bobkatt013 posted:

A bunch of the supporting cast is also from the books, so its been a copyright clusterfuck for a long time.

I imagine having Disney's lawyers on hand helped a lot with this. This is on my order list for next year. It'll look nice next to my Tomb of Dracula Omnibuses.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Do both the first Brubaker Captain America omnibus and the Death of Captain America omnibus have Captain America #25 in them?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Do both the first Brubaker Captain America omnibus and the Death of Captain America omnibus have Captain America #25 in them?

At work at the moment so can't say 100% but I'm pretty sure it is in both of them, yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

It does and its super annoying:argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Fraction Hawkeye Omnibus is on my list for arrival next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DOOBLE POST

I have a bunch of poo poo I don't want or need anymore so do we start a new thread in SAM or do we say drat THE MAN and just post here?