Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

By that logic Watergate wasn't a thing

Oh please, it was a complete frame job on Nixon. Fuckin' Democrats got a hate boner for the best president of all time and trumped up charges to level the playing field. Sore losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

By former Patriots employees who remain nameless and off the record. Who knows what their role in the team was if any. "per sources" is the journalistic partner of "im just asking questions"

And coaches. Let's not forget coaches.

But :laffo:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

By that logic Watergate wasn't a thing

Comparing this and the avalanche of information that came out from Deepthroat is disingenuous and you know it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Comparing this and the avalanche of information that came out from Deepthroat is disingenuous and you know it.

"There is no avalanche here" - a man who can no longer be seen beneath the snow

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's times not to trust a newspaper that won't reveal its sources but this isn't it, there's no plausible reason espn would be lying here

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

edit also your post made me google deepthroat at work

WobblySausage fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 8, 2015

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When Schefter talks about a player signing via his sources, do you believe him? Do you uniformly reject all news from unnamed sources, or only the totally believable ones about the Patriots cheating?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

You all need to realize there is a gigantic chasm of a difference in the veracity of the term "as per sources" between someone tweeting about a trade and someone doing research journalism.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Burger Trench posted:

When Schefter talks about a player signing via his sources, do you believe him? Do you uniformly reject all news from unnamed sources, or only the totally believable ones about the Patriots cheating?

Schefter has a good personal track record. I consider a good track record being information from unnamed sources that later come out with evidence that there is truth to it. When Schefter says that some "source close to such and such a player" says that he is signing with X team and then he does, well that pretty conclusively solves that question.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Schefter has a good personal track record. I consider a good track record being information from unnamed sources that later come out with evidence that there is truth to it. When Schefter says that some "source close to such and such a player" says that he is signing with X team and then he does, well that pretty conclusively ends that.

So the two largest sports journalism publications in the world don't have the authority that Schefter has?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Schefter has a good personal track record. I consider a good track record being information from unnamed sources that later come out with evidence that there is truth to it. When Schefter says that some "source close to such and such a player" says that he is signing with X team and then he does, well that pretty conclusively ends that.

Outside The Lines also has a good track record.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

Outside The Lines also has a good track record.

Please, its not like they won a Peabody or something

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Schefter has a good personal track record. I consider a good track record being information from unnamed sources that later come out with evidence that there is truth to it. When Schefter says that some "source close to such and such a player" says that he is signing with X team and then he does, well that pretty conclusively solves that question.

Don Van Natta Jr. (born July 22, 1964) is an American journalist and writer. He is an investigative reporter for ESPN, which he joined in January 2012. He previously worked for 16 years as an investigative correspondent at The New York Times, where he was a member of two Pulitzer Prize-winning teams.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol Van Natta has won multiple Pulitzer's.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Burger Trench posted:

Don Van Natta Jr. (born July 22, 1964) is an American journalist and writer. He is an investigative reporter for ESPN, which he joined in January 2012. He previously worked for 16 years as an investigative correspondent at The New York Times, where he was a member of two Pulitzer Prize-winning teams.

Ozu posted:

gonna need a source of these claims

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I understand the immense importance of anonymous sources in journalism and how critical they are for any real shot at investigative reporting in pretty much any context. I don't mean to diminish that even though I appear to be doing so.

Here, this part of an article by Charles Robinson (I have no idea who this is) on Yahoo sums up my feelings on the allegations. Take it or leave it if its reasonable to feel this way or not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/latest-cheating-allegation-against-patriots-is-most-damning-of-all-180544622.html

quote:

But knowing the first 15 or 20 offensive plays scripted by an NFL team is knowing the future. The best defensive coaches can take that information and give you a very high likelihood of exactly where the football is going to go – even on passing plays. And if those same defensive coaches can disguise defensive looks well enough, it's possible they could coax a quarterback into throwing the ball right into an area where the defense wants it. Even if an opposing offense goes off script after a few plays, that's still a window where the defense would have an immensely higher percentage of disrupting a series or forcing a turnover.

This isn't just stealing a set of plays; it's stealing part of the game.

Now, does that mean the Patriots did it? I can't say. I have never heard this allegation before and I would be hard pressed to ever prove it without an employee – or multiple employees – saying they were the ones going into the locker rooms and lifting the sheets.

Is such a thing possible? It's hard to say. I can remember occasions where I have seen locker rooms with a door open during warm-ups and nobody inside. I have also seen locker rooms closely guarded by jacketed, walkie-talkie wielding employees who perch themselves in front of the doors and never leave. I'd say nowadays, the latter is the norm.

But 10 years ago? Who knows. Things were a lot looser back then. Journalists used to be able to go down to the field and mill around during team warm-ups. We could chat up executives or owners or even the occasional player. One time back in that era, I took a wrong turn prior to a game and walked into a locker room that had only one person inside: an armed security officer who was holding several dozen little bags filled with jewelry belonging to the players.

Is it feasible that during such an era, low-level employees like locker room attendants, ball boys and equipment managers could have been lifting game materials from the opposition? Sure. I could see that happening if a team was dumb enough to leave something so valuable lying around. But I'll also say this: for years I have tried to get players to tell me the first scripted play in a game. And in the spare few times I've been successful, I almost had to sign a confidentiality agreement to get it done.

What's striking about this supposed infraction is the absence of a major investigation. The New York Jets will "sting" the taping of play signals. The NFL will "sting" the deflation of footballs. But in this case, teams chose to create fake scripts instead? As hated as the Patriots were, it never occurred to anyone to put a camera in the locker room and catch this in the act? That's an oddity to me, particularly given how much gossiping goes on between NFL teams.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 8, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra please respond to

Ozu posted:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Shimrra please respond to

Having never heard of him before today he sounds like a professional and credible journalist who has been awarded with a high honor based on a history of quality investigative research.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Having never heard of him before today he sounds like a professional and credible journalist who has been awarded with a high honor based on a history of quality investigative research.

meaning?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

meaning Tom Brady deflated those balls

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

At the risk of falling into a "gotcha" type of thing it means that I believe he isn't outright fabricating information, that he was really told these things by people.

So launch an official independent investigation into the allegations. (Meaning not Ted Wells and Jeff Pash) Investigate if its true. Bring it to court if you want. Have Belichick testify under oath. I'd support it. If the allegations are found to be true then we know what the deal is and if they are found to be false then well, good.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Lmao "I don't know who this guy is but here's an article I just found that runs contrary to a guy who has won two pulitzers and writes for a thing that won a peabody"

This is approaching StarcraftM levels of homerism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So launch an official independent investigation into the allegations.

Like the Wells Report you totally 100% believe is true?

lol nice edit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Run an official investigation just not an investigation run by anyone I can find any reason to distrust in any way

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like the Wells Report you totally 100% believe is true?

lol nice edit

When a federal judge specifically calls out the independence of the Wells Report, not once but multiple times, and then uses it as part of his basis for his ruling I think taking it with a large grain of salt is probably for the best.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Run an official independent investigation

*highly damning report is released from official independent investigation*

No, I mean a different official independent investigation

A federal court basically smacked down the Wells Report as not being independent. He literally used scare quote around the word independent in his ruling. This is something that literally happened. And the appeals court will most likely reaffirm it. You can say that the judge was wrong or corrupt or something but that would be even worse than me claiming that the investigative reporter is outright lying, which I am not doing.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 8, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Run an official independent investigation

*highly damning report is released from official independent investigation*

No, I mean a different official independent investigation

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
SJ is a reasonable poster and a reasonable boy/man

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Patriots have been cheating for like 15 years? No waaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

And please don't compare me with Starcraft. The man donated money to Doobie's Doghouse for gods sake. There is literally no greater level of stupidity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lol nice work guy who bought Shimrra a new av

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
For me, the most interesting part of this whole process is that Sports Illustrated, and particularly ESPN, organizations that have been more than willing to carry the NFL's water in the past, have to be publishing these stories and operating with either the support of several owners, Goodell himself, or both. These stories are scathing indictments that call the league's fairness into question, and they'd never be published by these sources otherwise. The timing of the SI article is no coincidence.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I understand the immense importance of anonymous sources in journalism and how critical they are for any real shot at investigative reporting in pretty much any context. I don't mean to diminish that even though I appear to be doing so.

Here, this part of an article by Charles Robinson (I have no idea who this is) on Yahoo sums up my feelings on the allegations. Take it or leave it if its reasonable to feel this way or not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/latest-cheating-allegation-against-patriots-is-most-damning-of-all-180544622.html

You put a fake play script in there because even in a "sting" operation you don't get justice until after the game and you don't want to watch your team's scripted plays get hosed while you wait for justice that occurs weeks later and doesn't change the game's outcome. That's before you consider any other mitigating factors, like being black-balled by the league or an organization.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Big Balled Billy Belichick is on WEEI right now

http://v6.player.abacast.net/2099

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hahahahahahah gently caress off

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TubeStank posted:

Lmao "I don't know who this guy is but here's an article I just found that runs contrary to a guy who has won two pulitzers and writes for a thing that won a peabody"

This is approaching StarcraftM levels of homerism

It doesn't run contrary to the OTL report at all. It says simply that if true its horribly damning (I agree) but at the same time that nothing has been proven yet. The allegations have been made. Now look into them. Is that wrong?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Hahahahahahah gently caress off

That's Jerry Thornton. He's a failed standup comic and all around 'special' individual.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 8, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It doesn't run contrary to the OTL report at all. It says simply that if true its horribly damning (I agree) but at the same time that nothing has been proven yet. The allegations have been made. Now look into them. Is that wrong?

Considering the last time the allegations were investigated you denied them, yes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering the last time the allegations were investigated you denied them, yes

Let me quote this again because you apparently skipped over it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When a federal judge specifically calls out the independence of the Wells Report, not once but multiple times, and then uses it as part of his basis for his ruling I think taking it with a large grain of salt is probably for the best.

A federal court basically smacked down the Wells Report as not being independent. He literally used scare quote around the word independent in his ruling. This is something that literally happened. And the appeals court will most likely reaffirm it. You can say that the judge was wrong or corrupt or something but that would be even worse than me claiming that the investigative reporter is outright lying, which I am not doing.

A longtime, and by all accounts, reputable and upstanding federal judge in the NFL's own chosen venue publicly derided the Wells Report as not being truly independent in both court hearings and in his final judgement. Are you saying he's wrong? You can, but you'd literally be doing what you claim I'm doing with that investigative reporter.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 8, 2015

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Considering otl has multiple coaches and employees stating that it was something they did it seems pretty gosh darn likely that it is something they did. Hell they even have a patriots assistant coach saying that they scrambled and jammed the other team's radio lines.

Sorry my man but the patriots are dirty cheaters

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TubeStank posted:

Considering otl has multiple coaches and employees stating that it was something they did it seems pretty gosh darn likely that it is something they did. Hell they even have a patriots assistant coach saying that they scrambled and jammed the other team's radio lines.

Sorry my man but the patriots are dirty cheaters

Alright, so we circle back to what I was saying an hour ago where I said to investigate the allegations then. If true then punish the team and put Belichick in the stockade, and if not leave them alone. And not with an investigative team that got laughed out of court by a federal judge this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let me quote this again because you apparently skipped over it.

A longtime, and by all accounts, reputable and upstanding federal judge in the NFL's own chosen venue publicly derided the Wells Report as not being truly independent in both court hearings and in his final judgement. Are you saying he's wrong? You can, but you'd literally be doing what you claim I'm doing with that investigative reporter.

I thought this was because of tampering and recommended changes after the fact. It's not like the report was biased from the very start, dorito dink.

• Locked thread