Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
All we have to go on is the Wells Report that was released. We don't know what it was like before the "tampering" by the NFL and Jeff Pash. We don't know because the NFL refuses to release any of it or the investigative notes. So the Wells Report is decidedly not independent and it doesn't matter if it started out that way or not.

So you're arguing semantics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Alright, so we circle back to what I was saying an hour ago where I said to investigate the allegations then. If true then punish the team and put Belichick in the stockade, and if not leave them alone. And not with an investigative team that got laughed out of court by a federal judge this time.

Yes investigate something that happened 10 years ago :downs:. It's like you missed a major focus of the article was that goodell was letting the patriots get away with this poo poo over and over and over again and then finally gave a limp slap on the wrist once there was enough of a stink raised.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The judge was right about the investigation being a total scam and shitshow, but he was completely wrong in ruling that the players didn't contractually agree to this and that they shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Nevermind forgot independent versus investigation

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

No big deal, it happens.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 8, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WobblySausage posted:

This kind of stuff bothers me. The NCAA sucks nearly as badly or maybe worse, but at least they have the power to deal with it.

I don't care if all teams do it. Entire season's wins should be vacated for blatant cheating. No rule in the book for it one year? Make one with a decisive punishment the next. Perhaps organizations need multiple season integrity audits or something. The whole drat thing is corrupt from the top down; the NFL is a farce, and it frankly makes me want to stop watching. This type of poo poo hurts everyone - whether your team benefited from it, or not. Who wants to watch dirty games all the time? It removes the competitive spirit.

Retroactively award the Rams/Panthers/Eagles the Super Bowls in which The Patriots Cheated. I would be happy then.

Also Bill Simmons had an absolute meltdown on Twitter over this and it was really embarrassing to see.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Warm gatorade is laugh out loud hilarious. I hope hammer cock Belichick doubles triples quadrouples down on his hatred of the media and his cheating. I hope they strip the visiting team locker room to bare concrete and refuse medical attention to injured opponents

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Warm gatorade is laugh out loud hilarious. I hope hammer cock Belichick doubles triples quadrouples down on his hatred of the media and his cheating. I hope they strip the visiting team locker room to bare concrete and refuse medical attention to injured opponents

this guy gets it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

You know how in Major League where the owner tries to gently caress the team over by making their existence as miserable as possible because they are loving up her plan to tank the season? Kraft should do that. Like force the visiting teams to fly into Providence on poorly maintained DC-7s.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just said that

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

quote posted:

IN AUGUST 2000, before a Patriots preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jimmy Dee, the head of New England's video department, approached one of his charges, Matt Walsh, with a strange assignment: He wanted Walsh to film the Bucs' offensive and defensive signals, the arm waving and hand folding that team coaches use to communicate plays and formations to the men on the field. Walsh was 24 years old, a lifelong New Englander and Patriots fan. He was one of the few employees Belichick retained that season, his first as the team's coach. The practice of decoding signals was universal in football -- a single stolen signal can change a game -- with advance scouts jotting down notes, then matching the signal to the play. The Patriots created a novel spying system that made the decoding more dependable.

Walsh later told investigators that, at the time, he didn't know the NFL game operations manual forbade taping signals.

I mean that straight up says cheating to me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Do it Goodell...go NCAA on the Pats. Put *s everywhere. Vacate their records. Make Bill Simmons literally break down sobbing during his podcast. Hold a special on ESPN where you meltdown the Pats Super Bowl rings in the Hall of Fame while cackling.

Become loved by St. Louis/Carolina/Philly. Which is quite a feat since Philly loves nothing but hatred.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I just said that

I know but I enjoy reminding people that Major League exists at every available opportunity. Baseball has Major League. Hockey has Slap Shot. Basketball has Air Bud. What does Football have?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 8, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, Shimraa, bro, I will give you the Wells report.

But bro, bro, you gotta admit your steadfast refusal to acknowledge this article as damning pending an official investigation of decade old allegations is perhaps a bit obtuse

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I just said that

Oh my god

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Goodell should apply Belichek logic of focusing way too much on minutiae that doesn't really matter but still violates the spirit of rule enforcement to enforcing the rules against the Pats.

"Tom Brady's pants were a millimeter too high. Two game suspension!"

Perhaps then we can get rid of him in addition to causing Boston to meltdown.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

For me, the most interesting part of this whole process is that Sports Illustrated, and particularly ESPN, organizations that have been more than willing to carry the NFL's water in the past, have to be publishing these stories and operating with either the support of several owners, Goodell himself, or both. These stories are scathing indictments that call the league's fairness into question, and they'd never be published by these sources otherwise. The timing of the SI article is no coincidence.

You put a fake play script in there because even in a "sting" operation you don't get justice until after the game and you don't want to watch your team's scripted plays get hosed while you wait for justice that occurs weeks later and doesn't change the game's outcome. That's before you consider any other mitigating factors, like being black-balled by the league or an organization.

Yeah, I found that to be pretty interesting too. I wonder what's gonna happen to try to get a handle on it all, because if all that stuff really happened, there's a ton of poo poo goin' bananas that just doesn't go away.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

axeil posted:

Goodell should apply Belichek logic of focusing way too much on minutiae that doesn't really matter but still violates the spirit of rule enforcement to enforcing the rules against the Pats.

"Tom Brady's pants were a millimeter too high. Two game suspension!"

Perhaps then we can get rid of him in addition to causing Boston to meltdown.

He basically already does this but with socks.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know but I enjoy reminding people that Major League exists at every available opportunity. Baseball has Major League. Hockey has Slap Shot. Basketball has Air Bud. What does Football have?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191397/

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

what tubestank

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Longest Yard (Burt Reynolds1970s version)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

what tubestank

I laughed very hard to your response to a bad post, and made the referenced post as a result in a fit of laughter.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Replace all air in visiting locker room with inert gas.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

NC-17 posted:

Replace all air in visiting locker room with inert gas.

Do nothing but have an entire squad of Patriots employees suspiciously mingle around the locker rooms and speak broken English when confronted.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He basically already does this but with socks.

:thejoke:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
For years the charter bus that took teams from Logan to their hotel mysteriously always had the same rash-covered driver for each trip. Sure the blankets he passed out were warm and comfortable, but players were always wary of the scarred man's eagerness to make sure that each player was securely wrapped in one.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Alternatively: loosen restrictions on espionage, and have a weekly publication about which teams did what.

More views, more clicks, more ads, more money for the league, more poo poo to talk about during the game.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

TubeStank posted:

I laughed very hard to your response to a bad post, and made the referenced post as a result in a fit of laughter.

Ha sorry, been taking fire from all sides here for months I'm a little hosed up

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

What did your parents say when you ordered all those extra sports channel packages on their TV last Saturday?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

No worries, pal! My comment was a bit vague as to what I was saying.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Reggie Wayne threw down his fork in disgust. drat, isn't there a place in this town that can actually cook my traditional pre-game linguine dish? I go to a new restaurant each year but it is always the same. I ask for al dente and it is either crunchy or a limp mess. I swear I never have this problem on any other road trips but here...

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What did your parents say when you ordered all those extra sports channel packages on their TV last Saturday?

Life's too short to not watch the last 5 minutes of a random college game you don't even care about

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Burger Trench posted:

When Schefter talks about a player signing via his sources, do you believe him?

Well yeah, because his source is Jay Glazer who reported it 15 minutes before him.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
As a Pats fan I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters who said you just gotta embrace it.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think an NFL full fledged espionage division would be awesome. Like you could secretly pay a player to feed you information to your team but then find out three years later he was a double agent. You're allowed to spy and break-in and whatnot but when you get caught in a sting operation (or Mangini'ed, as it's called) you have to forfeit like a million dollars to ISIS

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Madcosby posted:

I think an NFL full fledged espionage division would be awesome. Like you could secretly pay a player to feed you information to your team but then find out three years later he was a double agent. You're allowed to spy and break-in and whatnot but when you get caught in a sting operation (or Mangini'ed, as it's called) you have to forfeit like a million dollars to ISIS

brb selling the TV option rights to TNT.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Madcosby posted:

Honestly, I'd probably consume more NFL media if this happened.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

guys every time I bring up any of this stuff to my coworker he just replies with a fallout boy song called "I don't care" lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

guys every time I bring up any of this stuff to my coworker he just replies with a fallout boy song called "I don't care" lol

Your coworker listens to Fallout boy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

I feel like I've asked you this before but what line of work are you in and would it be conceivable for your coworker to end up badly mauled in an industrial 'accident' involving heavy machinery?

• Locked thread