Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They might have worked in the first video, I've seen blow-out fires similar to that. Ammo burns off quickly, but the tank isn't left burning particularly heavily. Crew might still be hosed though if it penetrated into the compartment (and the tank is gonna be mission killed regardless). Compare the first tank (burns quickly) vs the second one and its big black smoke cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pimpmust posted:

They might have worked in the first video, I've seen blow-out fires similar to that. Ammo burns off quickly, but the tank isn't left burning particularly heavily. Crew might still be hosed though if it penetrated into the compartment (and the tank is gonna be mission killed regardless). Compare the first tank (burns quickly) vs the second one and its big black smoke cloud.

Yeah, its argued on alot of spergy "ABRAMS IS poo poo/NO IT ISNT" arguments recently. The fact the burning is over more or less so quickly makes me think it was a successful containment.

Either way, it wont be fighting/sitting around anymore.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Adar posted:

The implication is he would never return to face trial (duh) and also that he was actively engaged in treason (duh). Same deal as al-Awlaki; people who are committing treason can become military targets. This isn't controversial anywhere even in Europe, as far as I can tell.

The UK doesn't have a death penalty and even then extra judicial killings of your own citizens are pretty controversial. In addition David Cameron lost a commons vote on military action in Syria so the legitimacy of any strike in Syria is very questionable.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It seems pretty transparently legal to me. It's war, the laws are pretty ok with making bad people die. Shocker, I know, but the UK doesn't require their soldiers to get a jury conviction before pulling the trigger. If there's any controversy over it, it's why the RAF isn't even more involved.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Kaal posted:

It seems pretty transparently legal to me. It's war, the laws are pretty ok with making bad people die. Shocker, I know, but the UK doesn't require their soldiers to get a jury conviction before pulling the trigger. If there's any controversy over it, it's why the RAF isn't even more involved.

I don't disagree that he deserved to die but the UK isn't currently conducting air strikes in Syria and the PM lost a vote in parliament when he asked to do exactly that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I don't disagree that he deserved to die but the UK isn't currently conducting air strikes in Syria and the PM lost a vote in parliament when he asked to do exactly that.

Are you referring to the 2013 vote over Assad, or was there a more recent one over ISIS?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Are you referring to the 2013 vote over Assad, or was there a more recent one over ISIS?

nope my mistake though the vote approving action against daesh specified iraq only

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kaal posted:

The UK is supporting Iraq in combatting ISIS within its territory but the British military has not been given a mandate by parliament to conduct operations In Syria. Whether or not these killings should be judged as a police action and held to the rules governing domestic law enforcement is the issue, they where motivated apparently by the threat of a domestic plot and not as part of the Iraq campaign - Cameron seems to be arguing they where a necessary self defence action but seems reluctant to publish the legal advice clearing the attacks at this stage.

Counter terrorism operations are by no means automatically covered purely by the law of war

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 8, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

SoggyBobcat posted:

So I came across this video (ignore the comments)...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZuEmKwNjM
... and is it just me, or does this video seem very familiar? I swear it was posted here before.

I'm pretty sure that's not a German train. 100% not a DB train and if it's an underground train, I've never seen it.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Dodoman posted:

Ah my mistake, I forgot to take the elevation into account. Wouldn't you want to keep your tanks upgraded whenever it is feasible to do so? But upgrades will only get you so far I guess, thanks for the info.

I was in the UAE army, the only reason these gulf states dont have the latest stuff is due to resitrictions already in place, for example the UAE imports from various countries becuase they are ristricted from exclusively buying from one supplier, so they have to go through others for their needs, thats why things like the leclerc, bmp-3 and g-63 coexist, logistically undesirable but thems the breaks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Really Fizzil? I'd definitely read that Ask/Tell thread.

In Iraq news, the Vice Minister of Justice was just kidnapped in northern Baghdad, and several hours ago, there was a sniper attack on the Minister of Defense near Baiji, which ended with no casualties. Both are being linked to Iranian-backed militias, but nothing is concrete yet. Could likely be a retaliation by Iran over the Iraqi Army raid against Kataib Hezbollah the other day. If Iraq doesn't back down and this escalates, it could have some positive effects, but mostly bad ones.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pimpmust posted:

My curiosity being: The M1A2 has specific features for protecting the crew from ammo detonations.

Unless the crew was storing ammo in the turret outside of the ammo bin, they should've been fine, flare up or not:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

A Dutch reporter was arrested in Turkey a couple of days ago while doing an item on some Kurds there. She's not the only one either and I hope them reporters are going to be okay :sigh: Come on Turkey, what are you doing..

http://www.sunherald.com/2015/09/06/6401043/dutch-journalist-detained-while.html

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The VICE guy was a Kurd and went to a known Gulenist university, so I have no idea what they were thinking when they sent him to Turkey.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't know if anybody is interested but here it is: The situation in Turkey is worsening at an alarming rate. An attack on a military convoy in Daglica resulted in at least a dozen of dead security officers (the real number of casualties is possibly much higher). Then it was followed by another attack on a police vehicle in Igdir, which killed 13 officers. But perhaps most worryingly, assaults on Kurdish individuals and businesses is becoming a regular occurrence within the country. Tonight there will be a nation-wide demonstration by the Grey Wolves (ultra-nationalists). We'll see how it goes.

Oh, and after the attack on Daglica, Erdogan said "this crisis wouldn't have happened if AKP won the elections overwhelmingly" on live TV.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fspades posted:

Don't know if anybody is interested but here it is: The situation in Turkey is worsening at an alarming rate. An attack on a military convoy in Daglica resulted in at least a dozen of dead security officers (the real number of casualties is possibly much higher). Then it was followed by another attack on a police vehicle in Igdir, which killed 13 officers. But perhaps most worryingly, assaults on Kurdish individuals and businesses is becoming a regular occurrence within the country. Tonight there will be a nation-wide demonstration by the Grey Wolves (ultra-nationalists). We'll see how it goes.

Oh, and after the attack on Daglica, Erdogan said "this crisis wouldn't have happened if AKP won the elections overwhelmingly" on live TV.

Erdogan is going to drag Turkey back into a mess that should've been on its way out.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Volkerball posted:

Really Fizzil? I'd definitely read that Ask/Tell thread.

Which thread? I wanna know if someone have done a more in depth look at it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fizzil posted:

I think what he means is that if you started an Ask/Tell thread, he'd read it. So would I, for that matter.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tomn posted:

I think what he means is that if you started an Ask/Tell thread, he'd read it. So would I, for that matter.

And me. I don't know much of anything about the UAE and I'd like to know more.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

fspades posted:

I guess that's true, since Erdogan might not have started all this if he'd had a clear majority in the election. :v:

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Apparently nationalists are torching the HDP HQ in Ankara at this moment.

Edit: and here's a picture of the HDP building in Alanya burning tonight: https://twitter.com/umitpencereci/status/641328213143240704

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 8, 2015

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MothraAttack posted:

Edit: and here's a picture of the HDP building in Alanya burning tonight: https://twitter.com/umitpencereci/status/641328213143240704

The Syrian Revolution: Watch Erdogan start the clusterfuck war that will end with Israel nuking the bloody casbah :uhaul:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I know this gets requested once every hundred pages or so, but where is a good resource for learning what the current situation is in Syria with regards to alliances between and within the various faction and who controls what territory?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MothraAttack posted:

Whee, Turkey's (literally) burning, and it's not even close to the new elections yet.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The Syrian Revolution: Watch Erdogan start the clusterfuck war that will end with Israel nuking the bloody casbah :uhaul:
I wonder what happens if Turkey stays stable enough that the vote comes through and the AKP still doesn't have a majority?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Fizzil posted:

Echoing others, I would read your thread.

e:

Miltank posted:

I know this gets requested once every hundred pages or so, but where is a good resource for learning what the current situation is in Syria with regards to alliances between and within the various faction and who controls what territory?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3390388&perpage=40&pagenumber=1835#post440981910

Something like that?

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 8, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've also heard that Turkish boots are now marching through Iraqi soil. Against the Kurdish (allies?) If we're officially supporting the Kurds in Iraq wouldn't this put us at proxy war with Turkey?
Then again it's about time we did a Crimean electric boogaloo. #TurkeyshallGobble

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ok, so thus far we have:

Libya: Actually three different countries all at war with all the moment
Egypt: A brutal military dictatorship that is starting to look worse then anything before that
Yemen: The new civil war on the block, except the loving Gulf dictatorships are sending other things then money and guns there so that's a whole new layer of awful
Iraq: Actually three different countries at the moment but only one that actually recognizes that is the only one that nobody recognizes. Somehow not the worst Iraq has been in the 21st century.
Bahrain: What revolution?
Lebanon: Oh, yeah, we didn't have enough refugees to begin with. No yeah, come in, its not like there is a loving government to do anything about it
Turkey: Alarmingly starting to resemble Germany in '38, complete with a total megalomaniac mustached lunatic in charge
Iran: Straight up taking on the Arab world by itself on multiple fronts and at least stalemating. While having been hamstrung by some of the most massive sanctions a country has ever faced.
Kurds: BRING IT
Islamic State: Yup, an actual 21st century caliphate. That's how crazy this all is.
Syria: :suicide:

Tunisia: "What the gently caress did we start?"

Arab Winter is loving cold

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 8, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tunisia and Morrocco are doing alright relatively.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Ok, so thus far we have:

Libya: Actually three different countries all at war with all the moment
Egypt: A brutal military dictatorship that is starting to look worse then anything before that
Yemen: The new civil war on the block, except the loving Gulf dictatorships are sending other things then money and guns there so that's a whole new layer of awful
Iraq: Actually three different countries at the moment but only one that actually recognizes that is the only one that nobody recognizes. Somehow not the worst Iraq has been in the 21st century.
Bahrain: What revolution?
Lebanon: Oh, yeah, we didn't have enough refugees to begin with. No yeah, come in, its not like there is a loving government to do anything about it
Turkey: Alarmingly starting to resemble Germany in '38, complete with a total megalomaniac mustached lunatic in charge
Iran: Straight up taking on the Arab world by itself on multiple fronts and at least stalemating. While having been hamstrung by some of the most massive sanctions a country has ever faced.
Kurds: BRING IT
Islamic State: Yup, an actual 21st century caliphate. That's how crazy this all is.
Syria: :suicide:

Tunisia: "What the gently caress did we start?"

I know I shouldn't find this funny, but I got halfway through and I just couldn't stop laughing because it's just so hilariously, sadly accurate, and it's the most concise explanation of just how hosed up the Middle East is that I've ever seen.

Syria's explanation is in particular is great, because how the gently caress do you even explain Syria at this point?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
At least Oman is doing fine, I think?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DarkCrawler posted:

Arab Autumn. The worst is yet to come.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You're being hyperbolic about turkey. they're not the next Nazi Germany.

Also, the Kurds can only 'bring it' as long as the US gives them everything they need. it's already been demonstrated that they're a wet paper tiger when left unsupported.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HorseRenoir posted:

At least Oman is doing fine, I think?

Oman, Jordan, Tunisia and Morocco are doing very good compared to their neighbors and mostly staying out of the clusterfuck (which disqualifies the Gulf countries, that and the fact they are literal slave states)-

Like I don't know what the gently caress this poo poo is going to turn into. If regions were family members, Middle East would be that one person nobody mentions in gatherings. Then someone turns on the TV and their face is plastered next to a live feed of a drug fueled car chase.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I've also heard that Turkish boots are now marching through Iraqi soil. Against the Kurdish (allies?) If we're officially supporting the Kurds in Iraq wouldn't this put us at proxy war with Turkey?
Then again it's about time we did a Crimean electric boogaloo. #TurkeyshallGobble

They've crossed the border in pursuit of PKK fighters who withdrew across the border following an exchange of fire with the military on the Turkish side. It's the first time in a while this has happened (last time was 2011 I think? May have been another incident since then) and will definitely stir the pot a bit but it's not going to start a war

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Al-Saqr posted:

Well yeah, but its going into a pretty worrying direction nevertheless.

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, the Kurds can only 'bring it' as long as the US gives them everything they need. it's already been demonstrated that they're a wet paper tiger when left unsupported.

No army in this conflict can bring anything without being supported, whether it be ISIS and the clandestine funds from Wahhabists and who knows who else, Syrian Arab Army without Iranians and Hezbollah, Yemenis without the Gulf, Houthis without Iran, Iraq without Iran again and U.S. (another thing that makes this conflict so bizarre) and so forth. Kurds did get the biggest sugar daddy besides Iraq who got the two best ones, but in turn they are the only one doing all the fighting on the ground too.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Have a cool picture of the sandstorm hitting Syria right now:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

DarkCrawler posted:

Well yeah, but its going into a pretty worrying direction nevertheless.

No army in this conflict can bring anything without being supported, whether it be ISIS and the clandestine funds from Wahhabists and who knows who else, Syrian Arab Army without Iranians and Hezbollah, Yemenis without the Gulf, Houthis without Iran, Iraq without Iran again and U.S. (another thing that makes this conflict so bizarre) and so forth. Kurds did get the biggest sugar daddy besides Iraq who got the two best ones, but in turn they are the only one doing all the fighting on the ground too.

This is true, there is very little industrial base in the area. Ironically Iran is probably best situated to build its own weapons even under sanction.

If the KRG wasn't incompetently led they would have built up factories (instead of hotels) that could build heavy weaponry for the rest of Iraq. They would be sitting pretty right now; even if the weapons weren't terribly high tech a lot of fighting in the area is done with fairly simple weapons.

Iraq had a decent industry to build license built soviet stuff but I'm going to guess it got looted somehow in the last decade or so.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

fade5 posted:

Have a cool picture of the sandstorm hitting Syria right now:

Dear nature,

SERIOUSLY?!

Respectfully go gently caress yourself

- Syrians

Torpor posted:

This is true, there is very little industrial base in the area. Ironically Iran is probably best situated to build its own weapons even under sanction.

If the KRG wasn't incompetently led they would have built up factories (instead of hotels) that could build heavy weaponry for the rest of Iraq. They would be sitting pretty right now; even if the weapons weren't terribly high tech a lot of fighting in the area is done with fairly simple weapons.

Iraq had a decent industry to build license built soviet stuff but I'm going to guess it got looted somehow in the last decade or so.

Well they did have a lot of top-of-the-line American hardware until they...uhh...just kind of left them.

EDIT: Haha, this is how Iraqi military's Wikipedia page starts

quote:

The Iraqi Armed Forces are the military forces of the Government of Iraq. They consist of the Iraqi Army, the Iraqi Air Force, and the Iraqi Navy.

The armed forces of Iraq have a long but not particularly successful history.

you don't say

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 8, 2015

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al-Saqr posted:

You sure about that? Because the crowd in the middle of Istanbul were chanting "We don't want (anti-terror) operations, we want massacres" today. That's an exact translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

fspades posted:

You sure about that? Because the crowd in the middle of Istanbul were chanting "We don't want (anti-terror) operations, we want massacres" today. That's an exact translation.

Crowds chant what they want to chant. Doesn't mean that turkey is banning all parties, establishing a personality cult, opening concentration camps and invading every country around it.

• Locked thread