Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They didn't really try to lock down online. They treated it the same as they treat all of their other Capcom Online games as far as I can tell.

I know MonHun has a Japanese IP block on it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Vargs posted:

Warrior would be a lovely, lame class even with 6 abilities. I struggle to find 3 that I like when I'm forced to max it out for the crazy good augments. Mostly just use light and jump attacks. Adding another 3 skills that I never use wouldn't make it any better. By far my least favorite vocation.

Corona/Exodus/Arc, Lunge/War Cry/Atonement (or if you're not into tanking: Lunge/Lash/Bash). Though with Ferocity, I'd be using a bunch of core attacks, too. But hey, to each their own. I think Warrior accounts for like <1% of my own game time.

Tallgeese posted:

What happened to Online?

Nothing? It's still around and going strong and slowly being fan-translated. This might be testing the US waters for a Western DDO release, though. :pray:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

What happened to Online?

No plans to bring it to the west. 700,000 people played it in its first week in Japan though, so its been a big success.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

What happened to Online?

Dexo posted:

They didn't really try to lock down online.
I specifically meant the data, it's encrypted but people are modifying the client to translate it anyway.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant.

Well, it's not like it has simultaneous co-op to grief people with, so why go too nuts locking it down, eh?

Looking forward to making one of those pawns I heard so much about.

Wasn't there some world boss that everyone had to kill, and a certain reward issued just to the person who landed the final strike? I could imagine some rear end in a top hat one-shotting it on PC.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 9, 2015

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Not really, that battle is completely optional and offers rewards to several players who contributed, I never bothered with it. Especially because since the expansion, the boss drops are not top tier anymore.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Wasn't there some world boss that everyone had to kill, and a certain reward issued just to the person who landed the final strike? I could imagine some rear end in a top hat one-shotting it on PC.

Once the online Ur-Dragon finally runs out of health, there's a grace period where anyone can go and kill him in his near-dead form to get the full reward. Can't remember exactly how long that period is. Maybe an hour? It doesn't really matter though since as mentioned above, the rewards aren't very good compared to Dark Arisen gear. I did it once for kicks and never bothered again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just remembered that I'm going to get to play Dragon's Dogma again and got very excited.

I'm pretty sure the only other video game rerelease/port announcement that could get me this excited would be a PC/PS4 version of Demon's Souls.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Here are some PS3 vs. PC comparison screenshots because why not.

PS3: http://abload.de/img/ptbi2015-09-0912-48-2q6kq2.png
PC: http://images.onesite.com/capcom-un...12.png?v=202200

PS3: http://abload.de/img/ptbi2015-09-0911-37-2n9koy.png
PC: http://images.onesite.com/capcom-un...e9.png?v=202200

PS3: http://abload.de/img/ptbi2015-09-0911-55-1m2kme.png
PC: http://images.onesite.com/capcom-un...dd.png?v=202200

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.....

Sorry, just heard the almost 100% improbable news that this game is coming to PC. The RPG fan in me can pretty much die happy now.

That is all, thank you for listening.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wonder if there will be ways to get the bonuses from having original DD saves on your DA game. I loved the infinite ferrystone so so much.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If they're smart they'll just enable that stuff for everyone.

Wait it's capcom. It'll be DLC.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Man, the difference in these shots in crazy. Sometimes with ports or HD upgrades you kind of have to squint and zoom to see any kind of improvement, but this is like an obvious, striking across-the-board improvement. I can actually tell what kind of armor Tutorial Guy is wearing now.

Lotish posted:

I wonder if there will be ways to get the bonuses from having original DD saves on your DA game. I loved the infinite ferrystone so so much.

I rebought DD vanilla just so I could have inifinite ferrystones and 100,000 RC on all my alts. Also lent it to a friend and got him turned on to DD. Worth it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Can't wait to relive the joy of yelling at my TV to berate my idiot pawns every time they talk.

"Master, wot's this?" :downs:

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Speaking of the Rift Crystal bonus, a year ago I talked a friend into buying DD for his Xbox. He immediately switched to hard mode, complained that the game is too hard. After a while he found out that he can hire pawns that are overleveled and have (hacked?) endgame gear, the pawns would then kill all the enemies (as they aren't even affected by the hard mode changes) and then my friend stopped playing because the game wasn't fun that way. I argued, like, don't hire the pawns? But no, as long as he knows of this in-built "cheat mode" he doesn't like playing the game properly. Some people are just weird. On the bright side, I actually tried hard mode for the first time after that experience and noticed that it's more fun and, after the first two hours, actually easier than normal mode.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sicDaniel posted:

Speaking of the Rift Crystal bonus, a year ago I talked a friend into buying DD for his Xbox. He immediately switched to hard mode, complained that the game is too hard. After a while he found out that he can hire pawns that are overleveled and have (hacked?) endgame gear, the pawns would then kill all the enemies (as they aren't even affected by the hard mode changes) and then my friend stopped playing because the game wasn't fun that way. I argued, like, don't hire the pawns? But no, as long as he knows of this in-built "cheat mode" he doesn't like playing the game properly. Some people are just weird. On the bright side, I actually tried hard mode for the first time after that experience and noticed that it's more fun and, after the first two hours, actually easier than normal mode.

Is it actually viable to do Hard Mode right from the start? I treated it as an NG+ the first time I played through, but this time around maybe starting there wouldn't be a bad idea.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Doing it right from the start is possible, but a bit frustrating because most things oneshot you. The best way in my opinion is to start a normal game, play until level ~10 and then switch. Do hard mode as a fighter, it's the only class that can block. And then after a while, because of the bonus exp and money, you will outlevel the monsters and drown in money. Which is why I would recommend doing that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hydras will continue to inexplicably one shot you all the way through the game though

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sindai posted:

If they're smart they'll just enable that stuff for everyone.

Wait it's capcom. It'll be DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it would be reasonable if the savegame transfer bonus was a reward for pre-orders, for all the true Dragon's Dogma fans out there

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Looking forward to the Dragma Nexus where I can download nude skins and jiggle physics mods.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Leal posted:

Looking forward to the Dragma Nexus where I can download nude skins and jiggle physics mods.

Pedophilia is already built straight into the game so Lover's Lab will have to find somewhere else to focus their efforts.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Harrow posted:

Is it actually viable to do Hard Mode right from the start? I treated it as an NG+ the first time I played through, but this time around maybe starting there wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hard Mode is pretty rough if you have no idea how to play the game, and it was still pretty rough even knowing the game until I went to Black Isle at like level 20 and didn't come out until I had scrounged whatever equipment and levels I could get in there. You basically get punished to gently caress and back for making any mistakes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The first mod that needs to be made is having more enemies in the world, lots more boss type enemies, and infighting between friendly soldiers etc. More liveliness. My most desired mod.

Then we need a mod to equip all skills at once from a class.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want a frankenclass with warrior melee weapons and magick archer bows.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm not expecting anything too major in terms of mods. I highly doubt Capcom is going to go out of their way to make the game mod-friendly, and DD has never had the largest following.

If we can tweak numbers around a little though, I'd love something that significantly lowers the cast time and increases the duration of Mystic Knight buffs. I'd enjoy the class a lot more if you didn't need to stand around casting buffs so much. Maybe some boosts to fighter shield skills to make them feel worthwhile. Giving MK/MA/Strider better stat growths would be cool as well. Also looking forward to using cheat engine to give myself rift crystals, since loving around with pawn trading on other forums to get the RC for BBI gear is really annoying, especially after you've already gone through that whole ordeal for several other characters.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 13, 2015

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I will be looking at it for sure, I did a bunch of research on the PS3 data formats for fun, and I'm sure that'll apply to PC.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I hope Capcom is looking to set a trend for their future PC releases to be mod-friendly, because people accomplished some exciting stuff with RE6, and I can only imagine what RE7 would hold if modding were considered during development/porting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How good have the recent capcom ports been anyway. I haven't cared about any of them so I never paid attention. Could we expect possible PC-specific improvements/features or will it probably end up like dark souls 1?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
They took a dip in quality when the new consoles hit, but Dragon's Dogma is still running on MT Framework, so it should be just fine.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
My most-wanted DD mod would be something that added more world. Gransys is neat, sure, but it consists of one city, one town, several dungeons, and a handful of small forts.

I get that the people in the settlements around Gran Soren pulled into the city when the dragon came, and the farms near Maul's fortress were flat-out destroyed, but I guess I want more signs of former habitation? Put the remnants of a town around Windbluff Tower or around the Blighted Manse or even put a little trading center in the giant empty field in front of the Greatwall and it would make Gransys feel a lot less deserted.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
On the recent Beastcast on Giantbomb Austin was talking about the PC version being an internal build at Capcom that had some sort of multiplayer as well. Is there somewhere else that mentions that at all?

If there was some chance at DD coop without the ftp online stuff it would be the perfect game.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
How will the character / save files system work? Will it still be one character per steam account? That would be lame.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

sicDaniel posted:

How will the character / save files system work? Will it still be one character per steam account? That would be lame.

Probably, but it'll be trivial to make backups and start another character unless they're stored online for some inexplicable reason.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

Probably, but it'll be trivial to make backups and start another character unless they're stored online for some inexplicable reason.

On the xbox at least, using this method tends not to be ideal due to the way pawns are stored. You really need to make a new account for each character (which is thankfully 100% free since DD is one of the very few games that work online with Xbox Live Silver). Hopefully the PC version improves upon this.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Picayune posted:

My most-wanted DD mod would be something that added more world. Gransys is neat, sure, but it consists of one city, one town, several dungeons, and a handful of small forts.

I get that the people in the settlements around Gran Soren pulled into the city when the dragon came, and the farms near Maul's fortress were flat-out destroyed, but I guess I want more signs of former habitation? Put the remnants of a town around Windbluff Tower or around the Blighted Manse or even put a little trading center in the giant empty field in front of the Greatwall and it would make Gransys feel a lot less deserted.
Pretty much the entire southwest part of Gransys consists of just a landmass with enemies. I recall hearing that this game was pretty rushed by the end which I guess would explain the general emptiness of the world.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah if you can already switch which pawn is in the database by swapping your saves, then it shouldn't be too hard to let you have multiple saves and just only keep your most recently-played save's pawn in the database. Or your last 3 saves' pawns or whatever.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

How good have the recent capcom ports been anyway. I haven't cared about any of them so I never paid attention. Could we expect possible PC-specific improvements/features or will it probably end up like dark souls 1?
The most recent relevant PC port for Dragon's Dogma would be Dragon's Dogma Online, and Dragon's Dogma Online is solid aside from lack of keyboard binding (and I largely suspect they're using the work that went into making Dragon's Dogma Online for PC for Dark Arisen PC).

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

gibbed posted:

The most recent relevant PC port for Dragon's Dogma would be Dragon's Dogma Online, and Dragon's Dogma Online is solid aside from lack of keyboard binding (and I largely suspect they're using the work that went into making Dragon's Dogma Online for PC for Dark Arisen PC).
is it even the same team doing the work though?
i thought DA for pc was a QLOC joint specifically while DDO was a capcom online games thing

i'm pretty curious to see how mods and stuff turn out for DA though since supposedly editing values for stuff in the console versions was somewhat simple and mt framework has somewhat of a modding history to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Fereydun posted:

is it even the same team doing the work though?
i thought DA for pc was a QLOC joint specifically while DDO was a capcom online games thing
I have no idea about the developers. I'm speaking strictly tech, DDO is a clear evolution of the code backing DD.

• Locked thread