Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cake Attack posted:

lots of people like croix from 2 but i don't remember anything about the plot to that game anymore so

The way he screamed out MAXIMUM PENETRATION was hilarious, so there's..that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait to mod Into Free back into the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

Elven Legacy is good poo poo yo

It's real good but it's really snowbally, since your rewards are tied directly to how well you do each mission. The first few missions in particular are really key to get Gold rank on.

It's a shame Warlock isn't nearly as tightly designed, but it's still pretty fun at least. Namely Warlock 2 that is.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The World Ends With You was really fun but the story is terrible. Dressing like a weirdo and eating hot dogs so you can use psychic powers to fight animal noises is great. But as best as I can tell the plot is that some psychos murder a bunch of people to perform a magic ritual to save retail stores from gentrification or their own fickle tastes or something. This is somehow a good thing. Also ramen.

The main character is somehow incredibly central to this entire plot but at no point is actually aware of it or makes a decision which effects it. He does eat some ramen though, between the hot dogs and the drugs.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 9, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's real good but it's really snowbally, since your rewards are tied directly to how well you do each mission. The first few missions in particular are really key to get Gold rank on.

It's a shame Warlock isn't nearly as tightly designed, but it's still pretty fun at least. Namely Warlock 2 that is.

I also like fantasy wars, which is pretty much the same thing except it has an orcs campaign (and is therefore best)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

The World Ends With You was really fun but the story is terrible. Dressing like a weirdo and eating hot dogs so you can use psychic powers to fight animal noises is great. But as best as I can tell the plot is that some psychos murder a bunch of people to perform a magic ritual to save retail stores from gentrification or their own fickle tastes or something. This is somehow a good thing. Also ramen.

The main character is somehow incredibly central to this entire plot but at no point is actually aware of it or makes a decision which effects it. He does eat some ramen though, between the hot dogs and the drugs.

I don't think you paid attention at all

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

:psyduck:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How far are you in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

are you a markov chain generator or are you just trying too hard to be funny

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll post this here too:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'll post this here too:

i still dislike that they made the vesperia team yuri/flynn instead of yuri/estelle. i mean i know why, but estelle is cool.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I'll post this here too:

why is yuri fighting cosmo kramer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

why is yuri fighting cosmo kramer

Because of his racism, obviously.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

How far are you in the game.

I've seen everything. The part where anime Jesus executes a bystander with a weirdly drawn gun for the second time, for fun. The credits where everything's great because people value their lives more if you threaten to murder them and destroy what they value most. The part of with the alternate universe where main universe characters exposition to the even more clueless alternate universe Neku. The secret report where a character reveals he's Satan and has been handing out dark rituals to keep things interesting. The extra scene where the divine avatars of exposition discuss how they might get in trouble with God for making the murder games too convoluted but drat it they maintained the property values of the shopping distinct.

Edit: No, wait, Satan had a purpose for giving out demon summoning rituals. Jesus just kept the math obsessed warlock around for fun and to cover up his murders.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 9, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

I've seen everything. The part where anime Jesus executes a bystander with a weirdly drawn gun for the second time, for fun. The credits where everything's great because people value their lives more if you threaten to murder them and destroy what they value most. The part of with the alternate universe where main universe characters exposition to the even more clueless alternate universe Neku. The secret report where a character reveals he's Satan and has been handing out dark rituals to keep things interesting. The extra scene where the divine avatars of exposition discuss how they might get in trouble with God for making the murder games too convoluted but drat it they maintained the property values of the shopping distinct.
stop posting

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

stop posting

I'm sorry I insulted anime but I just wish they could stick with the fairly interesting character vignettes and not try to glue them all together with metaphysical weirdness.

Also, I was trying to be purposefully vague to not count as actual spoilers.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 9, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

I'm sorry I insulted anime
double stop posting

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bar Crow posted:

I'm sorry I insulted anime but I just wish they could stick with the fairly interesting character vignettes and not try to glue them all together with metaphysical weirdness.

Endorph posted:

double stop posting

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Bar Crow posted:

Character vignettes in TWEWY are probably closer to anime that metaphysical stuff so I don't get what your point is there.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So basically, no, you didn't pay attention to the plot at all ok.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The plot of the game was Neku trying to win the reaper game and Megami's plan to make Shibuya a wonderful world. The metaphysical stuff doesn't interact with the games plot or any character arc save for the mysterious Mr.H, who is fleshed out in postgame content because who he is really doesn't matter to the character driven story they're going for the backstory to the setting and Joshua. It's why all the poo poo about Vibe and Frequency and Angels are in post game hidden logs, they're extra bits about the setting that flesh it out and lay the groundwork for a possible sequel that will never happen, they don't take away from the stories the game is trying to tell.

Complaining that Neku doesn't know about that stuff in universe is really dumb since only two, maybe three, guys in the game would possibly care or know about the hard terms and metaphysical rules about everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i dont know why he's trying to act like property values were an actual thing in the plot. is he trying to be funny or what.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The plot of the game was Neku trying to win the reaper game and Megami's plan to make Shibuya a wonderful world. The metaphysical stuff doesn't interact with the games plot or any character arc save for the mysterious Mr.H, who is fleshed out in postgame content because who he is really doesn't matter to the character driven story they're going for the backstory to the setting and Joshua. It's why all the poo poo about Vibe and Frequency and Angels are in post game hidden logs, they're extra bits about the setting that flesh it out and lay the groundwork for a possible sequel that will never happen, they don't take away from the stories the game is trying to tell.

Complaining that Neku doesn't know about that stuff in universe is really dumb since only two, maybe three, guys in the game would possibly care or know about the hard terms and metaphysical rules about everything.

This would be fine if the game ended with defeating Megami but then it undercuts it with the reveal of the Composer's actual identity and everything that goes with it. Large sections of the plot and characterization that you thought you knew are up ended at the very end of the game to setup the secret reports and hidden cut scenes which do not have a good payoff. It has a very weird and unfortunate payoff. It strikes me as the writers trying to be too clever and pack in more shocking twists but it only serves to undo the work they've already done.

Fun game play though. You can pack in a surprising amount of depth with just stylus movements. Controlling your partner at the same time is a bit overwhelming but I think that's intentional.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I never did the secret reports and it all holds together fine

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

This would be fine if the game ended with defeating Megami but then it undercuts it with the reveal of the Composer's actual identity and everything that goes with it. Large sections of the plot and characterization that you thought you knew are up ended at the very end of the game to setup the secret reports and hidden cut scenes which do not have a good payoff. It has a very weird and unfortunate payoff. It strikes me as the writers trying to be too clever and pack in more shocking twists but it only serves to undo the work they've already done.

The game does end when you beat Megami though? The Joshua reveal is just a punctuation on the "Who the gently caress IS this smug dick?" plot line and a way to explain why Megami is doing what he's doing. The metaphysical stuff and the Angels never come into the plot even with the Josh reveal. The composer reveal is just there to explain the why and to test Neku's development one last time. None of that effects the story as it's being told

Cake Attack posted:

I never did the secret reports and it all holds together fine

The secret reports don't even change anything about any of the characters or plot points. All it does is give definitions for in universe stuff and go 'Mr. H and Joshua picked Neku for a reason." which is something you both already know and could obviously figure out from the story.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one remembers Megumi's name. :rip: So girly it went straight to goddess instead.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

The game does end when you beat Megami though? The Joshua reveal is just a punctuation on the "Who the gently caress IS this smug dick?" plot line and a way to explain why Megami is doing what he's doing. The metaphysical stuff and the Angels never come into the plot even with the Josh reveal. The composer reveal is just there to explain the why and to test Neku's development one last time. None of that effects the story as it's being told
The last game play action is activating the final fusion symbolizing his trust in his partners and mankind in general. The next cut scene explains that Joshua actually murdered Neku, has lied to him about everything, and is responsible for the entire Reaper's Game. But he grows as a person because of his experiences. I never liked the Saw movies either so maybe this is a personal thing I just don't like.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

The last game play action is activating the final fusion symbolizing his trust in his partners and mankind in general. The next cut scene explains that Joshua actually murdered Neku, has lied to him about everything, and is responsible for the entire Reaper's Game. But he grows as a person because of his experiences. I never liked the Saw movies either so maybe this is a personal thing I just don't like.

So wait, "The final action is literally the physical manifestation of absolute trust in your partners, but then he goes on to forgive his partner and trust him unconditionally." is your complaint? Joshua is only responsible for starting his game with Megumi, not Megumi's hosed up plans and rule breaking to keep the game going even though he lost/was losing. At worst the reveal is "Yeah I'm technically his boss but he did all this poo poo to beat me." and then Neku has to either fight Joshua or trust that his friendship with him has given Josh hope in the people of Shibuya.

And Joshua didn't start the Reaper's game, you kept going on about the secret reports so you should have picked up on the fact that it's something that's always been going on. Joshua's middle management at best and that's why he's in the tough position he's in of "I'd like to make changes but I'm not allowed/cannot without circumventing the rules."

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

So wait, "The final action is literally the physical manifestation of absolute trust in your partners, but then he goes on to forgive his partner and trust him unconditionally." is your complaint?
Okay, that actually works for me. You'd think it would be the other way around with thinly-veiled Jesus references. I guess Joshua swings the other way.

Edit: I interpreted the ending as Neku collapsing in despair that he was just a pawn in yet another game and Joshua giving up when he realizes he's gone too far and he's the actual problem. The metaphysical stuff then comes across as rewriting the rules of the universe so that Joshua and Mr. H aren't actually the bad guys. They're "just following orders". Yours is probably the intended interpretation.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 9, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
there's a lot of bad game design in pier solar but i think this bomberman minigame takes the cake

gently caress it in the rear end

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/47304/ space rangers is awesome

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Wolves was pretty good too

Is that Parkan game anything like The Precursors?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Relin posted:

there's a lot of bad game design in pier solar but i think this bomberman minigame takes the cake

gently caress it in the rear end

I really need to pick that back up, especially to compare how their "megapatch" fixes things like the terrible graphics or invisible paths like they claim. The only problem is that I have about ten more interesting RPGs to be playing right now because people talked me into trying FF8/Type 0/Witcher 2 on PC alone.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

al-azad posted:

Star Wolves was pretty good too

Is that Parkan game anything like The Precursors?

dunno, i've never heard of it before. guess i can check it out and see.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

My favourite sr game was when I was able to buy the chassis that gave you something like a +200 bonus to speed with a good engine and the mod that increased the engines speed even more. Just sit in contested systems kiting everyone until backup arrived.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How are people feeling about Pillars's expansion? Did the later patches in vanilla do good?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Please don't be a loving mobile game.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/11/new-final-fantasy-adventure-details-to-be-revealed-on-september-17th/

It's going to be a mobile game, but please don't be a mobile game.

I know the director of Rise of Mana said he wanted to work on a console game, so please just be a console game.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 11, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

What does your heart tell you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

What does your heart tell you

My heart is dead. BoF6 killed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

BoF is a good series that was good to end at 5.