Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tunicate posted:

Even buying zen through steam is a huge clusterfuck.

Doesn't steam get a cut off the top for buying in-game money using steam wallet so that's why PWE puts all sorts of restrictions on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Aren't legit autistic people supposed to be good at math?

Not pretend they are loving romulans in real life?

This game...

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1203470/is-it-just-me-or-was-the-year-in-hell-lockbox-really-a-bad-deal/p1

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

This game...

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1203470/is-it-just-me-or-was-the-year-in-hell-lockbox-really-a-bad-deal/p1

Protogoth owes me a hug. I came down to Risa just to make good with the guy -- you know, hug out our differences and start anew -- and not only does he keep running away, he has his Romulan/Catian fleet members send me threatening comments. He is a very poor sport.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

hakimashou posted:

This game...

Legit autism is a crippling condition that often renders the subject communcationless and dependent for their entire lives. Anyone who has the skills to say "I have autism" probably doesn't.

The good at math thing is an example of Savantism, which sometimes manifests but is way rarer than legit autism by itself.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Conskill posted:

Legit autism is a crippling condition that often renders the subject communcationless and dependent for their entire lives. Anyone who has the skills to say "I have autism" probably doesn't.

The good at math thing is an example of Savantism, which sometimes manifests but is way rarer than legit autism by itself.

Autism is a spectrum, and posts like this are on it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Conskill posted:

Yeah, savantism is defined as 'has something bad but is really good at one thing.' So it's not really a discrete 'thing', as it were. :eng101:

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, savantism is defined as 'has something bad but is really good at one thing.' So it's not really a discrete 'thing', as it were. :eng101:

Gambling

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Tunicate posted:

Even buying zen through steam is a huge clusterfuck.

Alternately if you're me (Or anyone in quite a few countries now), buying zen through Steam outright fails to work ever since Steam switched pricing over to local currency. They did that some six or eight months ago and it hasn't worked since.

Between that, Avast thinking Arc is a virus and their website having an outdated SSL certificate which firefox rejects for being insecure, even if by some miracle I wanted to give Cryptic money I literally can't.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

General Maximus posted:

Avast thinking Arc is a virus

Avast is probably right.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

General Maximus posted:

even if by some miracle I wanted to give Cryptic money I literally can't.

And who said that karma isn't real...

I find it comical that one of the biggest cashgrab MMOs has problems grabbing cash. That poo poo is as ironic as rain on your wedding day (yeah I know, not ironic but work with me here).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
And thus the most retarded season finally comes to an end. I'd say the next one can't possibly have a dumber plot but who knows.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I see they're implying ESD might get destroyed again. How many times is that, now?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Registered for the wiki as Throb Robinson

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

wait, did the finale come out today? I finally did Butterfly earlier this week and was thoroughly disappointed by the retcon beam.

That said, what color are the antichroniton or whatever tetryon beam turret's beams?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trebuchet King posted:

wait, did the finale come out today? I finally did Butterfly earlier this week and was thoroughly disappointed by the retcon beam.

That said, what color are the antichroniton or whatever tetryon beam turret's beams?

Light blue beam with a few rainbow sparkles.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The antichroniton tets were red when I tried 'em...

Anyway, the FE is basically just sadtrombone.mp3, but at least we get double xp/dil to make up for it!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*Plays the finale through, stares at screen, closes client and pushes chair away from desk*

No really folks it's great. Amazing writing.

Amazing.

:effort:

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

DancingShade posted:

*Plays the finale through, stares at screen, closes client and pushes chair away from desk*

Amazing.

You didn't throw your keyboard so either Cryptic improved its writing or you are desensitized.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I thought it was okay. A bit cliche in parts, and the VO was cryptastic but I liked little twists and the ending did kinda tie things up.

Time travel is always literarily troubling.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cliche is fine, its Star Trek. I'm just bummed we didn't get to fight the angry demon after we gave the nicer demon her magic bowling ball back.

Also the whole "Sorry we genocided billions of you, we're just gonna go home and think about it now. Toodles!"

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Throb Robinson posted:

Registered for the wiki as Throb Robinson

You're in.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mondian posted:

Cliche is fine, its Star Trek. I'm just bummed we didn't get to fight the angry demon after we gave the nicer demon her magic bowling ball back.

Also the whole "Sorry we genocided billions of you, we're just gonna go home and think about it now. Toodles!"

loving spoiler that poo poo!

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

:commissar:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Amazing.

This is far better than most of the other arcs so far in that it actually ended rather than just trailing off into a wet fart of an anticlimax when they throw in a new antagonist group the next season.

On the other hand it's the cumulation of years of lovely writing and while they clearly attempted to make it dramatic and Trek-y they didn't even remotely succeed and it's just hackneyed and corny in ways that aren't even fun to mock. It's so obvious the game peaked with the Dyson Sphere stuff, isn't it? :rip: STO

Acer Pilot posted:

:lol:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mondian posted:

No, because fighting the angry demon would be just one more pointless fight to deal with when repeating this mission every week for the next month.

My favorite part of the mission (and of a lot of other missions as well) is when the NPCs start talking about how badly we're losing the space battle, meanwhile I've been reading forums for 5 minutes waiting for the mission timer to finish counting down because I killed everyone. It's hard to get worked up over how desperate the war is when every mission enemy I see explodes as soon as they get within weapons range.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
But it didn't end, that one guy swore vengeance and then it was kind of over. I'm never gonna forgive them for not letting me go all renegade on Sela. Bitch had it coming.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

My favorite part of the mission (and of a lot of other missions as well) is when the NPCs start talking about how badly we're losing the space battle, meanwhile I've been reading forums for 5 minutes waiting for the mission timer to finish counting down because I killed everyone. It's hard to get worked up over how desperate the war is when every mission enemy I see explodes as soon as they get within weapons range.
To be (mildly) fair to Cryptic they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place there. If they did any sort of "survive this absurd encounter" thing in an episode that would even remotely challenge anyone who knew what they were doing then it would just be a brick wall to the 98% of the playerbase that can't build a ship to save their lives. The real problem is that you can totally sell this sort of threat but it actually requires some degree of effort. Point out that the player is winning this battle but there's bad stuff going on elsewhere, give a mission where you have to defend multiple objectives but they drop so far that you can really only salvage one, that sort of thing. It isn't even that hard, but they didn't... bother?

Seriously though, Step Between the Stars and the other Dyson Sphere episodes were actually genuinely good. The writing was tolerable, there were a lot of new gimmicks and unique setpieces, it actually set up the threats well enough... but what the hell happened?

Morglon posted:

But it didn't end, that one guy swore vengeance and then it was kind of over. I'm never gonna forgive them for not letting me go all renegade on Sela. Bitch had it coming.
I can only assume this is their excuse for the sperg-heavy playerbase as to why you can still run Iconian queues or whatever and they're not going to ever actually bother using them again, just like the Undine.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

If they did any sort of "survive this absurd encounter" thing in an episode that would even remotely challenge anyone who knew what they were doing then it would just be a brick wall to the 98% of the playerbase that can't build a ship to save their lives.

I'm reminded of the mess that I read about with the D'Deridex Defender. I wonder whether it would still be seen as painful as it supposedly was.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't have any links on hand but I'm 100% positive I've seen sporadic complaints about it even post-DR, so....

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

If they did any sort of "survive this absurd encounter" thing in an episode that would even remotely challenge anyone who knew what they were doing then it would just be a brick wall to the 98% of the playerbase that can't build a ship to save their lives.

Hah, yeah when you have to defend the timeship weapon while it charges up I was laughing my rear end off when the comm chatter is like "just hang in there a bit longer" and everything is already dead and I've got a minute left on the timer to fly figure eights around the objective. I sat there thinking "Oh, this is probably supposed to be an unwinnable fight that you have to endure until you can escape through the portal.... lol"

I would argue it was pretty Trek-y, even if it was unsatisfying. Could you imagine Best of Both Worlds as an STO episode where you just run up to console and press "F" to put the borg to sleep? Or the Dominion War where you just walk up to a changeling and press "F" to make her sign a truce? Star Trek is full of big epic fights winding down to a non-violent solution and everyone just agreeing to forget about the staggering loss of life that just occurred....

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mondian posted:

Hah, yeah when you have to defend the timeship weapon while it charges up I was laughing my rear end off when the comm chatter is like "just hang in there a bit longer" and everything is already dead and I've got a minute left on the timer to fly figure eights around the objective. I sat there thinking "Oh, this is probably supposed to be an unwinnable fight that you have to endure until you can escape through the portal.... lol"

I would argue it was pretty Trek-y, even if it was unsatisfying. Could you imagine Best of Both Worlds as an STO episode where you just run up to console and press "F" to put the borg to sleep? Or the Dominion War where you just walk up to a changeling and press "F" to make her sign a truce? Star Trek is full of big epic fights winding down to a non-violent solution and everyone just agreeing to forget about the staggering loss of life that just occurred....

Operation Return would've been pretty neat, though, even if there was a cutscene to end the giant fleet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In true ST fashion they should have showed none of the giant battle and just had other characters hearing about it second hand over the space radio.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mondian posted:

I sat there thinking "Oh, this is probably supposed to be an unwinnable fight that you have to endure until you can escape through the portal.... lol"
Judging from ISA pub runs, bravely taking on the terrifying might of three spheres simultaneously is a life or death battle for your average player. :downs:

And I think the big question is whether Season 11 will do anything interesting with the fallout. Even if the finale is anticlimactic but Cryptic manages to do something fun with it then it's probably good in the long run; the lingering iconian threat was always one of the dumber elements of the plot, especially once it actually came to the foreground. I'm not exactly holding my breath for this though.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Asimo posted:

To be (mildly) fair to Cryptic they're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place there. If they did any sort of "survive this absurd encounter" thing in an episode that would even remotely challenge anyone who knew what they were doing then it would just be a brick wall to the 98% of the playerbase that can't build a ship to save their lives. The real problem is that you can totally sell this sort of threat but it actually requires some degree of effort. Point out that the player is winning this battle but there's bad stuff going on elsewhere, give a mission where you have to defend multiple objectives but they drop so far that you can really only salvage one, that sort of thing. It isn't even that hard, but they didn't... bother?

They could have easily solved this by just having reinforcements warp in to replace the ones you're killing. It'd still be easy but at least they wouldn't run of iconians before the war was officially ended.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

They could have easily solved this by just having reinforcements warp in to replace the ones you're killing. It'd still be easy but at least they wouldn't run of iconians before the war was officially ended.

Yeah, just let you defeat the initial fleet until you're ready to progress, then as you leave a million more ships jump in but CONGRATULATIONS you held them off long enough for [plan].

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it'd be easy to fix. But they didn't. :effort: The new featured episodes are so half-assed now. Even if Cryptic has been pretty good about doing one per month or so since the expansion hit, which at least is a welcome change.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, it's kinda weird that every single episode has a full three-piece set, rather than giving one of the set for each featured episode. I get that they're trying to get us to play it three times, but we'll probably do that for the spec point anyway.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
That mission was dumb but at least they didn't just go with a full reset button like Voyager would (...yet), which means that race we wiped out is still gone, the preservers are still ash and ESD/fleet wreckage has wreaked havoc on Earth as it enters the atmosphere once again.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Also, it's kinda weird that every single episode has a full three-piece set, rather than giving one of the set for each featured episode. I get that they're trying to get us to play it three times, but we'll probably do that for the spec point anyway.
This is entirely due to wanting people to log in at least once per week, yes. It's for a good reason; I don't have specific numbers on hand to back it up, but F2P games see noticeable upticks in spending per user if they can keep them invested. It also helps prevent players from wandering off and playing better other games instead. I imagine they've had better luck when it's an actual set too, although at this point I'm not sure why anyone cares about non-rep shield/engine/deflector sets anymore. I can only imagine that they don't spread sets between multiple episodes over several months to avoid leaving pubbies confused about why they can't complete a set immediately. If it's sitting with a date in the mission log it's at least self-evident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm playing midnight now, and I have to say - low-resolution ground ruining everything aside, the Dalaran Iconian City setting is actually... really nice, and more effort than I was expecting for a single episode, even the finale.

Pity about that blocky-as-poo poo skymap underneath you.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread