Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

go3 posted:

I have a rig/big object moving company as a client. Was out there bullshitting with them yesterday when they get a phone call from a guy they sent out to check the measurements of something that needed moved. They were told it was 16' 4" tall, actual measurement was 18' 10". Motherfuckers not double checking is how that poo poo ^^^ happens.

Somehow I don't think the standard size shipping container was somehow taller than deacribed by the shipper though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

Somehow I don't think the standard size shipping container was somehow taller than deacribed by the shipper though.

the standard size shipping container is 7'10" inside, a high cube is a foot taller. it's possible he squeaked under there a thousand times with a standard shipping container, and then somehow ended up with a high cube.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

go3 posted:

I have a rig/big object moving company as a client. Was out there bullshitting with them yesterday when they get a phone call from a guy they sent out to check the measurements of something that needed moved. They were told it was 16' 4" tall, actual measurement was 18' 10". Motherfuckers not double checking is how that poo poo ^^^ happens.

That's the driver being a loving moron. Those containers are no taller than any standard box trailer we have here. And being that he's pulling a dedicated container trailer (Like.. nothing else can be put on it, only standardized containers.) he should know better.

The thing that you posted is likely not a mistake, and just customers lying about dimensions and chancing it to try get it done cheaper. I get this quite often with work, customer orders a 3m (cargo area length) van and then comes out with a 4m-long item and goes "Oh, can it go in diagonally?".

Also Tulse Hill can suck a dick, gently caress sitting in traffic there, like i have to every loving time i go through there.

nm posted:

Somehow I don't think the standard size shipping container was somehow taller than described by the shipper though.

9'6"! And with a 1,250mm (4'1") 5th wheel height and a bit of trailer chassis (Let's say 8" above the kingpin) that's a total height of about 14'3". The sign for the bridge says 13'9".

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

the standard size shipping container is 7'10" inside, a high cube is a foot taller. it's possible he squeaked under there a thousand times with a standard shipping container, and then somehow ended up with a high cube.

Still has the dimensions stenciled on the back door!

All the ones i see here are 9'6".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

That's the driver being a loving moron. Those containers are no taller than any standard box trailer we have here. And being that he's pulling a dedicated container trailer (Like.. nothing else can be put on it, only standardized containers.) he should know better.

The thing that you posted is likely not a mistake, and just customers lying about dimensions and chancing it to try get it done cheaper. I get this quite often with work, customer orders a 3m (cargo area length) van and then comes out with a 4m-long item and goes "Oh, can it go in diagonally?".

Also Tulse Hill can suck a dick, gently caress sitting in traffic there, like i have to every loving time i go through there.

9'6"! And with a 1,250mm (4'1") 5th wheel height and a bit of trailer chassis (Let's say 8" above the kingpin) that's a total height of about 14'3". The sign for the bridge says 13'9".

Although they come in various forms and lengths i don't think i've ever seen a (standardized fitment with twist locks and such) container that's a different height.

Actually, assuming the worst with 11r24.5 tires, which are 40 inches tall, and 12 inches from the tire to the container, a standard height container on the trailer would be 12' 10", and a high cube on the trailer would be 13'10". there isn't an inch of give in a container.

Mooseykins posted:

Still has the dimensions stenciled on the back door!

All the ones i see here are 9'6".

not normally the dimensions, usually just the weight and weight limits, in fact, i think i might have that same container.

e: no, mine's a different red. that one does say "caution, 9'6" high" though, but that looking like england, it means the driver is polish and probably doesn't do inches or numbers or reading.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 9, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

Actually, assuming the worst with 11r24.5 tires, which are 40 inches tall, and 12 inches from the tire to the container, a standard height container on the trailer would be 12' 10", and a high cube on the trailer would be 13'10". there isn't an inch of give in a container.

A lot of the ones i see here have all dimensions on the back, either way it's not like the bridge ducked just as he approached it.

Standard 5th wheel height here is 1,250mm. (4'1") There are some different but i'd bet that Actros runs standard height on standard Euro-spec tyres. (295/80R22.5) Looks to be a 6x2 with a push axle, so it won't be running low profile tyres. Place i go to for work a lot has a whole load of idential Actros tractors.

Powershift posted:

not normally the dimensions, usually just the weight and weight limits, in fact, i think i might have that same container.

Possibly. I see a lot here with all the dimensions on them.

That yellow sticker on the left, they say "Caution 9'6" Tall".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

still, with a 4'1" 5th wheel height, and a foot tall trailer, and a standard container, he would be at 13'7" and barely squeak under. a high cube would take a 10 inch haircut.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

still, with a 4'1" 5th wheel height, and a foot tall trailer, and a standard container, he would be at 13'7" and barely squeak under. a high cube would take a 10 inch haircut.

Yeah. I can't recall seeing any of the shorter ones here. All i see are 9'6" ones in various lengths. (20', 40' and 45' usually.)

Container drivers get poo poo pay here, so he probably doesn't give a gently caress.

Raganti
Sep 25, 2007
I AM TO CHEAP TO BUY AN ACCOUNT!
I'm the person you share a road with.

There's a major but standard four-way intersection with two main lanes and a left-turn lane in each direction. I was waiting in one of the left turn lanes since I had a red left-turn arrow when a police car approached from the opposite direction. All lights turned red except the traffic directly opposite me. Once the police car had passed the opposite traffic kept their green light for longer than usual followed by an incredibly short (roughly 5 seconds) cross-traffic green light. The short light resulted in a bunch of cross-traffic running the light. Typically, when the lights for the main lanes turn green the turn lane also gets a green light so I didn't think anything of it as I was still pondering the previous red-light runners and proceeded into the intersection before realizing my light had not changed. At this point I was already halfway into the intersection and decided it would be better if I just continued rather than block everything. I did a gesture to the oncoming traffic to try and signal how sorry i was and proceeded to finish exiting the intersection. It's me, I'm the person you have to watch out for. :sweatdrop:

Of course, the guy behind me also followed me through the intersection. I guess he was too focused on my brakes to notice the traffic light.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I am currently on holiday in Spain and Spanish drivers are loving lunatics. If that wasn't bad enough, only the 120kph motorways have anything resembling a slip road, so I'm having to join 80-100kph roads from a dead stop.

Luckily our rental car is a quite powerful Audi A4 and the Costa del Sol is beautiful so it's all good.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This morning on my way to work an SUV in the cross-traffic ran a stale red. The first two rows of cars (coming from my direction) had already started pulling out into the intersection when he swerved through the middle of it in front of them doing about 60 (in a 40).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ludicro posted:

I am currently on holiday in Spain and Spanish drivers are loving lunatics. If that wasn't bad enough, only the 120kph motorways have anything resembling a slip road, so I'm having to join 80-100kph roads from a dead stop.

Luckily our rental car is a quite powerful Audi A4 and the Costa del Sol is beautiful so it's all good.

My first time in a car in Spain certainly was an eye-opener. Luckily, I wasn't the one driving...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I watched a guy sit at a perfectly legal (and safe to take) right turn on red instead of going while a giant red fire engine sat on his rear end with its siren blaring wanting for him to move. Dude, WTH? Get out of the guys' way!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Rode the bike to and from work today. Best reason to do that: HOV lanes!

Until today. I was behind a chick in a truck who got into the HOV lane, and then just STOPPED.

so i sit there for a moment.

I ride up on the sholder, park my bike and knock on his window.

:eng101: "You okay?"
window rolls down and i swear the woman smelled like a distillary.

:jeb: "NOOOO! ahhhm in duh HOV LANNEEEEE BAH MISTAKE! IMMA GET A TICKET! HOW CAN I GET OUT?"

(This is a captive HOV lane on I-30. Your first chance to get out is like 6 miles down the road. The HOV lane is protected by movable concrete barriers. she isnt getting anywhere)

:eng101: "Uh, just keep going. Youre backing up traffic."

:jeb: NOOOOOO I CANT AFFORD A TICKET!#!@#%@#$@!#%ELEVENTY!

called 911 and gave them the womans license plate and rode around her.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Why didn't you stay at the scene? I'm sure you could be excused from being late to work by explaining that you were stopping a very drunk driver.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I was riding home. I didnt stay at the scene, honestly, because it was 92 degrees out and I was decked out in riding gear that is hot as gently caress unless you're moving.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Is this considered reckless driving or littering?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This is how I imagine Bourne misdirects his pursuers in the upcoming sequel

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up a new vacuum at the store tonight on my bike, just tied it down to the back nice and tight so it didn't wiggle too much.

Had a guy riding my rear end at 5-10 over on a winding back road for six miles so tight that I couldn't see either of his headlights around the edge of the box, so he must have been about 3-4' off my rear at most. We get to a point where it splits into another lane, he STILL STICKS TO MY REAR TIRE, get to four lane bridge (two in each direction) and he's still on my rear end, so I slow down to about 5 under, he lays on his horn, flies around me, changes into my lane, and brake checks me, and just crawls across the bridge at about 10MPH while cars are flying past us in the other lane, then flips me off about 3/4 of the way across and stomps his accelerator... just in time to hit a red light on the far side.

So I got in the other lane and went a different direction from him (even though he was heading in the direction of home for me)

Already forgot his license plate number like a retard.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nitrogen posted:

I was riding home. I didnt stay at the scene, honestly, because it was 92 degrees out and I was decked out in riding gear that is hot as gently caress unless you're moving.

You should have offered to be her +1 and thrown your bike in the back.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

davebo posted:

You should have offered to be her +1 and thrown your bike in the back.

I don't think it was the kind of bike you just toss in the back of a truck

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't think it was the kind of bike you just toss in the back of a truck

not with that kind of attitude it's not.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Leaving work yesterday I'm in the parking lot pulling up to the street when I encounter a corner cutter. He actually started his turn several yards too early, so he was in the oncoming traffic lane on the road, just a few feet from the opposite curb pulling into the lot and in my lane for a few seconds. And, as corner cutters typically do, he looked at me like I'm the rear end in a top hat for having the audacity to be in my lane when he wanted to be there.

Then, just a quarter mile up the road a minivan going anywhere from 5 - 10 mph below the speed limit gets in front of me.

Not fifteen minutes later, on the highway, a guy in the right lane suddenly decided he didn't want to be behind the car in front of him and jerked his car into my lane, without so much as a glance to his left to see if somebody, like me, was already occupying that space. Luckily I managed to avoid him by veering onto the shoulder.

This morning a guy went from the on-ramp to the left lane across the gore point and two other lanes of rush hour traffic in one quick, uninterrupted merge.

I need to get a dash cam. I might need it as evidence at some point.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
^ I've been thinking the same thing, the number of close calls just from people turning left into an oncoming lane has been enough for me to nearly poo poo myself. Add the rear end in a top hat tailgaters, people almost never using signals, and the NASCAR "speed n weavers" on the interstate, and there's a drat good reason I take the long route everywhere I go. I can't wait long enough for self-driving cars, people are so fickle and fallible and plain loving stupid that it's a legit necessity at this point.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
On my way into work today, a nice fellow got on the road next to me, and I could tell they wanted over (but they weren't signaling), so I gave them a bit of room. They didn't take it so I finally started accelerating, then they got behind me and turned their high beams on. At 5 in the morning.

rear end in a top hat. I was even trying to be nice. :argh:

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

On my way into work today, a nice fellow got on the road next to me, and I could tell they wanted over (but they weren't signaling), so I gave them a bit of room. They didn't take it so I finally started accelerating, then they got behind me and turned their high beams on.

God, the people who don't come over when you try to let them. This happens at least once a week. I come up to somebody with their signal on and ease up on the gas, letting the gap in front of me get larger so they have room. They don't come over. I continue to back off to give them even more room. They stay in their lane. Maybe a little more room. Nothing. I figure they changed their mind and forgot the signal was on, or left it on when they first got on the highway and start to accelerate again.

At this point one of two things happens:

As the gap is closing they jerk their car into the lane in front of me, looking in their rearview as if to say "how dare you try not to let me over."

I pass them and they give me a dirty look because I'm an rear end in a top hat for not letting them over.

Exactly how far back do we need to back up to before they decide there is clearly enough room for their car to fit.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Had a couple of fun run-ins on the commute today. I live in San Diego, and I've got a short little ride on the 15 for about 10 miles. That's standard SoCal highway poo poo, but the bad stuff happens on University trying to get to the freeway (1-2 lanes either way and the lanes merge and split repeatedly.)

So far today I have seen:

A pickup run a red light in the intersection behind me, cruise down the parking lane past 5 cars until he got to a parked car, and then get mad that I wouldn't let him over.

A BMW race through a stale left hand turn that went red partway through, and 3 more cars follow him through the red

2 of the previously mentioned "assholes who won't change lanes when you let them"

A Hello Kitty themed VW bug (not an rear end in a top hat, just cute)

Some guy in another BMW trying to pass me in stop and go traffic, then getting visibly enraged and pounding on his steering wheel next to me when he ran out of room.

All this in less than 30 minutes. And none of it visible on my dash cam.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

PT6A posted:

My first time in a car in Spain certainly was an eye-opener. Luckily, I wasn't the one driving...
Spanish roads are great. Only place you will see 5 lanes of traffic spread over 3 marked lanes all merging seamlessly into 1 lane over only 100m or so without stopping.

Also having taxi drivers drive up onto sidewalks and then proceed to honk like mad at the pedestrians in front of him. Best.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Overtook a moron doing 25 in a 40 this morning only for them to speed up, race round me on a blind bend, then turn around and give me a smug grin when I pulled up behind them at a red light. Whatever lady, you win, I just don't want to be late for work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Whatever lady, you win, I just don't want to die.

This is my perspective as a pedestrian traversing roads stuffed with goddamn idiots.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was walking back from lunch and almost got nailed by a cyclist going the wrong way down a 1 way street and I even had the crosswalk signal. gently caress cyclists.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Protocol7 posted:

I was walking back from lunch and almost got nailed by a cyclist going the wrong way down a 1 way street and I even had the crosswalk signal. gently caress cyclists.

If they obeyed laws, it might take them literally tens of seconds longer to get where they're going, and unlike drivers, who must give way to everyone (but especially cyclists, because they are special and good) and always have plenty of extra time, this is something that simply cannot stand!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Protocol7 posted:

Last night I was riding my motorcycle, went around a curve, and there was a bicyclist weaving aimlessly across the oncoming traffic (i.e., me) with no light, no reflectors that I saw as I went by him, wearing all dark colors. He flipped me off as I dodged around him.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Vitamin J posted:

Also having taxi drivers drive up onto sidewalks and then proceed to honk like mad at the pedestrians in front of him. Best.

Not spain, but I was on a bus in Sicily on a 2 lane road(1 each direction) and since our lane was backed up, the bus driver proceeded to pull into oncoming traffic, drive until he came up against a car, then force his way back into the proper lane. He continued to do this the entire time I was on the bus, it was kinda awesome. Couple days later we were on a bus going up to Mt Etna, bus pulled over to let people on when I cyclist decided to pass the bus on the side and rode into the door as it opened. Bus driver got out, made sure he wasn't dead, yelled at him for a bit then we kept going.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

PCOS Bill posted:

Last night I was riding my motorcycle, went around a curve, and there was a bicyclist weaving aimlessly across the oncoming traffic (i.e., me) with no light, no reflectors that I saw as I went by him, wearing all dark colors. He flipped me off as I dodged around him.

Has there ever been a cyclist in bright cloths? Are they the good ones who mind their poo poo, or do we just not bother bitching about them for some reason?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sleepy.eyes posted:

Has there ever been a cyclist in bright cloths? Are they the good ones who mind their poo poo, or do we just not bother bitching about them for some reason?

I live in the ghetto, nobody wears bright clothes here. Makes you easier to shoot I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

The 45 year old fat ones trying to be Lance tend to wear pretty bright clothes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

The 45 year old fat ones trying to be Lance tend to wear pretty bright clothes.

And then ya'll complain about that. Everyone on the road is a douchebag, regardless of what they pilot.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I wear a bright green shirt and black shorts, but I also have lights and obey traffic laws.

That said, gently caress the "Cycling Activism" movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

And then ya'll complain about that. Everyone on the road is a douchebag, regardless of what they pilot.

Not me personally. :angel:

Just the ones that break simple traffic laws.