Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

xzzy posted:

When I was up in Alaska last month I was fueling up the car, one of those rental motorhomes was parked at a neighboring pump. Some foreign dude, my guess he was French based on the accent, pulled me over and asked how to use American pumps and which gas to put in the vehicle. The only options were different octane ratings so I guess Europe doesn't do octane options? One of his travel companions was off looking at a diesel pump like that was what he wanted to put in the tank, so I like to think I prevented some tourists from bricking a very expensive vehicle.

None of that has anything to do with photography so enjoy my blog post.

Pretty sure Europe uses the same rating scale as Australia, which us something like yours + 7. Like your 91 = our 98, and European cars usually take 95+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

thetzar posted:

Thank you so much to everyone for the ideas. I'm going to be there for a week, from Oct 18 to the 25th or 26th. Sort of booked myself in because I was sick and tired of seeing everyone else's Instagram feeds. I definitely intend to rent a car and drive around. I'm not much for camping or climbing (my body is soft and weak), but staying as remote as possible as I can with a bed and doing some day walking works fine if it gets me to see some great poo poo. I want to hit up at least a large section of the ring road, though I don't know if I'll go all the way around — should I? Would you recommend a 4x4, or is a normal car enough? Definitely want to meet some of the rugged, furry horses and take their pictures.

I was planning on exploring on my own, but if hiring a guide is a good idea then I'd definitely be up for it, and would be open to any recommendations!

When I went we rented a car and drove the road around the whole island, took 7 days. Our route was Reykjavik > Akureyri > Myvatn > Hofn > Vik > Golden Circle > Reykjavik. We didn't need to camp as there were hostels, hotels and cabins all over the place. There were a couple of days of fairly long drives, but it was awesome to get to see the whole ring road. Everywhere takes card so you won't need a lot of cash. You won't really need a 4x4 unless you want to go to the interior which will most likely be off limits for the winter by the time you go.

Enjoy it though, it's a loving cool place. I'd bring some ND filters for all the waterfalls too if that's your thing. You're going to see a LOT of waterfalls.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
this is what my commute looks like

IVS Merlion by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

thetzar posted:

Thank you so much to everyone for the ideas. I'm going to be there for a week, from Oct 18 to the 25th or 26th. Sort of booked myself in because I was sick and tired of seeing everyone else's Instagram feeds. I definitely intend to rent a car and drive around. I'm not much for camping or climbing (my body is soft and weak), but staying as remote as possible as I can with a bed and doing some day walking works fine if it gets me to see some great poo poo. I want to hit up at least a large section of the ring road, though I don't know if I'll go all the way around — should I? Would you recommend a 4x4, or is a normal car enough? Definitely want to meet some of the rugged, furry horses and take their pictures.

I was planning on exploring on my own, but if hiring a guide is a good idea then I'd definitely be up for it, and would be open to any recommendations!

You should be fine with a normal car, 4x4 is really only required for the highlands and since you are on a limited time schedule you should have plenty to see without going there. I was there for just over 3 weeks and did the whole country minus the highlands in a yaris.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pukestain Pal posted:

this is what my commute looks like

IVS Merlion by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Wow, nice. This is my commute.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Reno by Tom Olson, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

thetzar posted:

Wow, nice. This is my commute.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

I very much like it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

thetzar posted:

As others have said, you'll be fine with a normal car. We had a Chevy Aveo or something (whatever the cheapest rear end car they had was) and it was totally fine, even on the narrow dirt roads along the fjords up north. The furry horses often live by the side of the road (though you'll see more sheep than horses), so no problems there.

We had 11 days and didn't go all the way around, we went down to Jokulsarlon on the south, then back up to Latrabjarg, then spent a few days in Reykjavik. Personally, I think 7 days to do the whole island would be rushing it a bit, but it's up to you, as someone below said they did it in a week.

And now for content,

Lake Wakatipu by Hannah, on Flickr

Lake Wakatipu by Hannah, on Flickr

The Catlins by Hannah, on Flickr

I don't know why I like this one, but I do:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That place is beautiful, New Zealand?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sure is!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Oh I love the Catlins. That place must be the most scenically dense place this side of Iceland.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

HookShot posted:

Waterfall

Is that Matai Falls? Gotta agree with elgarbo, the Catlins are amazing, one of my favourite parts of the country.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 10, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the Catlins were phenomenal. The total variety of scenery around there is just out of this world. Basically the whole south island is a scenic wonderland.

It's Purakaunui falls. Not too far from Matai falls IIRC. I was sad that Cathedral Grove is closed in the winter though, we'd also arrived just before low tide so it would have been perfect timing.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Toilet photography...

Route 66 by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
A few more from the Catlins:

Catlins by Hannah, on Flickr

And one from Dunedin:

Dunedin by Hannah, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Foliage Garden by alkanphel, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Cal-Neva by Tom Olson, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Desaturated Sunset (Manahawkin, New Jersey) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Parallel Lines (Boston, Massachusetts) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Are my photos getting better? :ohdear:

Throw my camera in the trash? OK.

huhu fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 11, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Makes me want to get back into B&W more. It's been a long time.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Taormina, Sicily by Lee Harp, on Flickr

I've never done landscape photography at all but considering where I now live I figure I have to give it a shot.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Silver Legacy by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

I love the ship!

Claw Massage posted:

I've never done landscape photography at all but considering where I now live I figure I have to give it a shot.

:hfive:

Here's my amateur attempt for the day/evening:

EDIT: Speaking of being a newbie, any opinions between these two versions? The blues are really pervasive in the top one (which I kinda like? but it's tinting everything), but the true color of the glacial silt is discernible in the bottom one.

Trail Lake Trusses by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 14, 2015

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Svartnäs by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I'm on vacation in California and instead of taking crystal clear photos of all the great landscapes, it's been kind of hazy.

IMG_5828 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_6293 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_6044 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

They had some Ansel Adams walks/talks at Yosemite and I got to go to a program about Joseph N. LeConte mapping and photographing the Sierra's. 1,500 photos so far, and two days to go! I guess I can whittle them down while on the plane flight back to Texas.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
img264 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

zeroprime posted:

I'm on vacation in California and instead of taking crystal clear photos of all the great landscapes, it's been kind of hazy.

IMG_5828 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_6293 by jon.martensen, on Flickr
It sucks for you not being able to see the views without the haze, but it sure makes for a nice photo or two. The first shot is especially nice.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Some more from NZ:

I just went for something completely and totally different from what I normally do with this one, any opinions as to whether or not it sucks are much appreciated:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Reminds me of Herzog's penguin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poor confused penguins :(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

And that makes me think of this sad/amazing song:
http://youtu.be/GUOlfnnDKs0

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

HookShot posted:

I just went for something completely and totally different from what I normally do with this one, any opinions as to whether or not it sucks are much appreciated:

Doesn't suck at all. Share yo exif.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

voodoorootbeer posted:

Doesn't suck at all. Share yo exif.

huh, I always thought I had the exif set to public. Done now.

And thanks!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
U.S. 395 by Tom Olson, on Flickr

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010