Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody know what the music is that plays at 4:45 in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man I love the extreme lengths characters go to to ensure their time travel experiences are perfectly consistent. Everything is presented in such a fatalistic fashion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kyon and his friends are so afraid f their lives being boring that they time travel three years into the past to ensure that they spend an evening being bored there too.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Does anybody know what the music is that plays at 4:45 in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbagrDeRKY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tyvm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

It's gonna be the second best 9/11 ever :D

jet fuel can't melt mikuru beams

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Zas posted:

the budget/making room for 'disappearance' explanation is believable for sure but I'd be really curious to know if that was the case. it wouldn't surprise me if it was just the decionmakers being ballsy and following their convictions after an enormous success. it's happened before and god willing it will happen again.

The budget angle doesn't strike me as the case simply because E8 is just as well animated as the rest of the show. Evangelion 25/26, for example, are a lot of static shots, stick figures, storyboard animations, flashbacks, etc. because those don't cost much and they were flat broke, but Endless Eight showed no drop in quality versus the rest of the series, much of the bafflement of its detractors.

It's not as nice looking as Disappearance (2010) is, but then almost nothing is.

Making room, on the other hand, well... they are about the same length...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

so pre game chat re: the folks who say "nothing happens/not enough happens in the EE/there isn't enough development to justify it's runttime/ etc" ((and I get where you're coming form): [spoilers obvi]

did you at least feel the development of the style of each episode? like just from memory the shots and editing become increasingly abstract at key moments, kyon speaks more and more sternly, the music gets ominous, the slice of life increasingly desperate (with exceptions), the relations more tense - !!! from one pov it's a crawl toward breakdown (which we don't get to witness in s2...,) and I get why some think it was artificially stretched, because it's such an uncommon and undramatic presentation of that kind of story.

the budget/making room for 'disappearance' explanation is believable for sure but I'd be really curious to know if that was the case. it wouldn't surprise me if it was just the decionmakers being ballsy and following their convictions after an enormous success. it's happened before and god willing it will happen again.

I have never and probably still will not watch all of Endless Eight, the first 3 episodes and then the end was enough for me.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have never and probably still will not watch all of Endless Eight, the first 3 episodes and then the end was enough for me.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Nice

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is too powerful for you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

It is too powerful for you.

nobody could withstand it, that's part of what makes it really cool

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Holy crap

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there a better quality version

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That gif is spectacular.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

When are we doing Lucky Star in the schedule?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm honestly still singing the OP to myself. My morning is as good as over.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm honestly still singing the OP to myself. My morning is as good as over.

same

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

same

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

The original source is from niconico and that might have better quality but hell if I can find it -_-

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Okay, so.... I hadn't ever seen this show before, and on a whim I decided being part of a ~goon simulwatch experience~ could be fun, and now I just burned through the first season over the past three days.

The OP says Endless Eight happens on 9/11, is that still the plan? And just to confirm, all I need to do to be caught up now is watch "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody"?

Also, I'm curious - was the broadcast order actually intentional, or the result of some bureaucratic gently caress-up within whatever network originally aired the show? And if it's intentional, why did subsequent DVD releases stick with chronological order?

Ceterum censeo this show is really loving badass.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Okay, so.... I hadn't ever seen this show before, and on a whim I decided being part of a ~goon simulwatch experience~ could be fun, and now I just burned through the first season over the past three days.

The OP says Endless Eight happens on 9/11, is that still the plan? And just to confirm, all I need to do to be caught up now is watch "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody"?

Also, I'm curious - was the broadcast order actually intentional, or the result of some bureaucratic gently caress-up within whatever network originally aired the show? And if it's intentional, why did subsequent DVD releases stick with chronological order?

Ceterum censeo this show is really loving badass.

Yes, that's the plan, though I don't know if the start time is still 7:00 CDT. It's going to be the best 9/11. Drink while you watch, if that's a thing you do.

It was definitely intentional to run it in the order they did. Others have expounded upon it much better than I can, but broadcast order works much better to build our impressions of the characters, provides a much more satisfying buildup and climax, and has interesting thematic tie-ins between adjacent episodes. No idea why they abandoned it for chronological for the disc releases.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

drat, that's 5PM here. Should I watch one or two of the episodes beforehand? I'd hate to be ~20-30 minutes behind through an eight-episode marathon.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

My DVDs actually came with a bonus disc that had the episodes in broadcast order.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I will be busy during the Endless Eight simul, and I'm trying to figure out if I should marathon them tonight or wait until Sunday. I'm determined to watch them all in one sitting though, no half-measures when I'm enjoying the show so much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

My DVDs actually came with a bonus disc that had the episodes in broadcast order.
Yeah, when the show was first licensed there was a big push for the distributors to release a broadcast order version. But the complication was that IIRC contractually they had to release the chronological DVDs as-is as well; so the compromise was to include the broadcast order as an extra in more expensive Special Edition releases.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

VostokProgram posted:

I'd hate to be ~20-30 minutes behind through an eight-episode marathon.
That will be less of an issue than you'd might think. :getin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

7PM CST is still the plan. I'd go earlier since it is an 8 episode series but that's pretty early for west coast people. We can start an hour later if people are alright with it, considering it's a Friday

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah that's still just a midnight finish for the east coast so I'm fine with it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Either way works for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright I'm making the call...9/8 Central. I'll edit the OP.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'd like to read rambling analysis of the later Endless Eight episodes, written by a tortured viewer half mad from the experience, please

Alternatively, please post new ones during the marathon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Torquemadras posted:

I'd like to read rambling analysis of the later Endless Eight episodes, written by a tortured viewer half mad from the experience, please

That's gonna be me tomorrow

Or I'll fall asleep

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

xpost from reddit

We miss you .jpg

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I am hoping to mine the old thread for fun E8-related stuff between now and tomorrow, but let me know if it gets annoying and I'll stop.

It all starts with a post right after Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, where some attentive fans put together their best guesses for what the new Season 2 eps would cover.

quote:

May 21 ep08 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (New)
Jun 18 ep12 Endless Eight (New)
Jun 25 ep13 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 1 (New)
Jul 02 ep14 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 (New)
Jul 09 ep15 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 3 (New)
Jul 16 ep16 The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 4 (New)
Aug 21 ep21 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 1 (New)
Aug 28 ep22 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 (New)
Sep 03 ep23 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 3 (New)
Sep 10 ep24 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 4 (New)
Sep 17 ep25 The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya 5 (New)
Sep 24 ep26 Charmed at First Sight Lover
Oct 1 ep27 Snow Mountain Syndrome Pt 1 (new?)
Oct 8 ep28 Snow Mountain Syndrome Pt 2 (new?)

Well...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

We miss you .jpg

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agronox posted:

I am hoping to mine the old thread for fun E8-related stuff between now and tomorrow, but let me know if it gets annoying and I'll stop.

It all starts with a post right after Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, where some attentive fans put together their best guesses for what the new Season 2 eps would cover.

Well...

That thread is awesome

• Locked thread