Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I just got murdered in my NC by a Colorado. Came around an island at like 5k, he got like 4 citadels and none of my shots penned. FML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

inkwell posted:

Ah, yeah that makes sense. I was thinking to myself they must have a team to check the results, because with 13 letters (and on average a screenshot for each one), it would take one person ages.

sloppy math says proboably around 45,000 screenshots that have to be looked at. yikes.

Is wargaming NA ever going to figure out how to interact with their servers so they can automate poo poo like this? It is downright unprofessional, but tanks has been doing it for how many years now?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well that probably had to be in the top 5 for dumbest pubbie team I have ever seen. One by one sailing into the 3 enemy BB clumped together including our carrier for some reason sailing towards and not away from them. Then we have the full health Wyoming showing his broadside to a Colorado at 3km as he turns a corner when we still have a chance of winning as we're up by 300 points with 2 minutes left.

gently caress HE so god drat hard just really guys how have you not balanced this poo poo yet? HE shouldnt be able to do high damage, start fires with regularity that do even more damage, and then also disable bits of a ship.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 10, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Is wargaming NA ever going to figure out how to interact with their servers so they can automate poo poo like this? It is downright unprofessional, but tanks has been doing it for how many years now?

They do sometimes. The last event with the battleships did it automatically.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Seems Marbleheads are out. I just hit battle on after a battle with a Myoko and it placed me into a game driving a Marblehead along with like 5 other Marbleheads.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Got my Marblehead :toot:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kinetica posted:

Got my Marblehead :toot:

Same here. Premium Omaha, here I come.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I still needed 4 letters and they gave me one!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Wow... I really like the patch that I just downloaded today:

Now I can stop playing this lovely game and do something productive ...like shitposting.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 10, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Artless Meat posted:

I still needed 4 letters and they gave me one!

I was thinking, anyone who didn't make a submission of any quality at all is a chump.

There were a LOT of submissions that consisted almost entirely of AI names.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was thinking, anyone who didn't make a submission of any quality at all is a chump.

There were a LOT of submissions that consisted almost entirely of AI names.

I considered it, but I already have the Murmansk and :effort:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lady Morgaga posted:

Dont. Myogi is poo poo but its not complete poo poo. Compared to Wyoming it actually half-good. 5k free exp is not worth it imo.

I had 2 spectacular matches right after posting this and it became a non-issue.

That said, I preferred the Wyoming to the Myogi in just about every possible way.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Hmm, ok. The Marblehead is a B-Hull Omaha, meaning it has 2 extra guns on the back, compared to C-Omaha and the Murmansk. However, it only has 2 torpedo launchers, like the C-Hull and Murmansk. Its torpedoes are 8.2km range ones, longer ranged than the Murmansk's, but they travel more slowly and do SIGNIFICANTLY less damage. They're alot like the Sims' alternative torpedoes, in a sense. Slow, weak, but with good range. The Marblehead also has a tiny bit more HP than the other 2 ships.

However, the biggest difference is the rudder shift time. The Marblehead has a glacial 7 second rudder shift, compared to the C-Omaha's 5ish and the Murmansk's sub 4 second. Wow. At least you can use it to retrain commanders and make extra credits, but its definitely not better than an Omaha, and far inferior to the Murmansk.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Hazdoc posted:

Hmm, ok. The Marblehead is a B-Hull Omaha, meaning it has 2 extra guns on the back, compared to C-Omaha and the Murmansk. However, it only has 2 torpedo launchers, like the C-Hull and Murmansk. Its torpedoes are 8.2km range ones, longer ranged than the Murmansk's, but they travel more slowly and do SIGNIFICANTLY less damage. They're alot like the Sims' alternative torpedoes, in a sense. Slow, weak, but with good range. The Marblehead also has a tiny bit more HP than the other 2 ships.

However, the biggest difference is the rudder shift time. The Marblehead has a glacial 7 second rudder shift, compared to the C-Omaha's 5ish and the Murmansk's sub 4 second. Wow. At least you can use it to retrain commanders and make extra credits, but its definitely not better than an Omaha, and far inferior to the Murmansk.

So use it more like a Pheonix with decent range torpedo spam rather than a surprise Full Frontal Fucker of Citadels? Got it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
It's not the ship, it's her Captian.

Just had a 6k exp in my Marblehead. I was the Angel of Death Incarnate.

Just glad to pick up a free premiums ship. Hope for more.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Is there any room left in SEAMN because HOLY poo poo I'm tired of playing with stupid pubbies. I applied but it's in limbo I suppose. I can't take the stupidity of random stupid people.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Is there any room left in SEAMN because HOLY poo poo I'm tired of playing with stupid pubbies. I applied but it's in limbo I suppose. I can't take the stupidity of random stupid people.

You don't need the SEAMN clan tag to join SEAMN chat and Teamspeak. You just need to get on the drat Goon TS and say "HEY I WANT TO PLAY TIER WHATEVER"

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Raged posted:

It's not the ship, it's her Captian.

Just had a 6k exp in my Marblehead. I was the Angel of Death Incarnate.

Just glad to pick up a free premiums ship. Hope for more.

Well yeah. Its a B-Omaha gunwise, if you don't like losing the 2 turrets like the Murmansk, so it can pump out a bit more damage when broadside. You can also do the 5 guns facing directly forward (like the Murmansk), and also when retreating you'll have an angle to bring 5 guns to bear. The lesser range hurts the retreating tactic a little, but at least you always have 6 shells flying at your foe whether you be charging at them or pulling range. The torps are far less useful for a close range finisher on BBs, due to the drastically reduced damage, but they're still torpedoes and they will still put some hurt on.

Looking at the gun stats, the Marblehead has slightly better dispersion, so arguably its more accurate than the Omaha/Murmansk. B-Omaha is by no means a weak ship, and that's what the Marblehead is, albeit more HP and a weaker rudder.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

Wtf. That sounds like a pretty big downside to a ship that is so easily citadelled from the side. Why they gotta do this :saddowns:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They were never going to give out (another) free premium Omaha that was just as good as the already utterly ridiculous tree Omaha

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Moving from the Cleveland to en Pensicola is sooooo painful. Feels like the entire ship is made out of Citadel :gonk:

That being said, they HE on this thing is kind ridiculous. Been getting nice tight clusters into ships for like 5k damage + tons of secondary things being destroyed/damaged.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The PepsiCola gets good with upgrades. Though it doesn't compare well to the :japan: T7 Cruiser.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

You can also do the 5 guns facing directly forward (like the Murmansk), and also when retreating you'll have an angle to bring 5 guns to bear. The lesser range hurts the retreating tactic a little, but at least you always have 6 shells flying at your foe whether you be charging at them or pulling range.

Yeah, this is IMO the main selling point of the Omaha and its derivatives, and from what I've seen a complete mystery to pubbies. Unfortunately the sponsons on the Marblehead have a couple of degrees less traverse range than on the Omaha, meaning it's harder to fire directly forward. It's just two degrees, but the Omaha doesn't have that much leeway to begin with.

Of course, this is all assuming gamemodels3d.com is accurate on this.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I now have the Myogi. Aside from the kinda meh turret placement, I don't see what all of the hate is about. It doesn't seem to be too bad of a ship.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Is the Mutsuki C hull a trap? Obviously it should only be used with the gun upgrade, but even then it seems like in most situations you'll only have 1 gun pointing at the target, as opposed to 2 or 3 on the B hull, negating the RoF advantage. The extra traverse speed doesn't seem that helpful either, I'd rather keep the two well placed turrets.

The C hull does have surprisingly good AA though, it should keep planes from loitering above you at least.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

jadebullet posted:

So I now have the Myogi. Aside from the kinda meh turret placement, I don't see what all of the hate is about. It doesn't seem to be too bad of a ship.

Just wait until you get uptiered and have a couple of Clevelands raining HE on you nonstop and your only response is "Ok, I fired my 4 rounds at you...in 30 seconds, you'll get 4 more of those, buddy!" as you desperately try to flee.

At least in my Wyoming, I had 2 turrets if I wanted to charge them, as well.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

jadebullet posted:

I didn't have too much of a problem with it either, the main thing is that you just have to be conscious of which side your guns are trained on when you are rushing toward enemy, so you dont commit your self to a turn where 2/3 of your battery is going to be useless for the better part of a minute. That and its armor is pretty mediocre.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Devorum posted:

Just wait until you get uptiered and have a couple of Clevelands raining HE on you nonstop and your only response is "Ok, I fired my 4 rounds at you...in 30 seconds, you'll get 4 more of those, buddy!" as you desperately try to flee.

At least in my Wyoming, I had 2 turrets if I wanted to charge them, as well.

It does have a lot more say in the range and angle the battle is fought at without giving up control over the battle, since its turrets have non-awful arcs and she's fast. Problem is that trading damage doesn't really work.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
All a Cleveland has to do is draw at/away from you at an angle while raining hellfire upon you.

You can't catch up or run away, or effectively hit them, while they're able to hit you pretty reliably for 1.5-2k damage + fire. Angling helps but at > 12km most of those rounds are coming in at high angles and you belt armour will be pretty useless.

That being said, for every good cruiser there are plenty of morons who'll gladly go broadside with your BB :getin:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
At least it won't be as bad as last night when the guy I was divisioned with dragged my Kawachi into a match with his tier 6 by accident.

On a related note, how bad do you have to be to lose your Tirpitz to a Kawachi? Granted, he was distracted by my other divisionmates St. Louis on the other side of him.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

jadebullet posted:

At least it won't be as bad as last night when the guy I was divisioned with dragged my Kawachi into a match with his tier 6 by accident.

On a related note, how bad do you have to be to lose your Tirpitz to a Kawachi? Granted, he was distracted by my other divisionmates St. Louis on the other side of him.

Historically terrible?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kuntz posted:

Is the Mutsuki C hull a trap? Obviously it should only be used with the gun upgrade, but even then it seems like in most situations you'll only have 1 gun pointing at the target, as opposed to 2 or 3 on the B hull, negating the RoF advantage. The extra traverse speed doesn't seem that helpful either, I'd rather keep the two well placed turrets.

The C hull does have surprisingly good AA though, it should keep planes from loitering above you at least.

It generally has good enough rotation time that you can have both guns pointing in the direction you want if you're planning ahead. Since you still have good concealment, you'll generally be able to spot someone before they spot you, and thus even if you weren't expecting them you can typically get them pointed in the right direction. There are times when what you say is true though. Another positive is that they actually have a slightly faster firing rate than . Another negative is that there's only two of them, which means you're more vulnerable to having them destroyed.

Ultimately it's up to you, as there's not really a correct answer. I personally prefer the moderately decent AA they add to the hull, but that's just the choice I made.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kuntz posted:

The gun upgrade is ~14 second traverse, IIRC. The turrets swing about as fast as US DD guns before T8, which is pretty darned fast. I'd go for it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Finally got to Platoon with someone on the EU server. That made matches far more enjoyable, even losses weren't near so irritating.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Is there a better way to use Torpedos on American Cruisers?

They are on my Phoenix, but I essentially never find a use for them, as they travel so slow. I find I'm better off just steaming back and forth at range and peppering them with HE. My friend plays Japanese Destroyers/Cruisers, and their torpedos travel fast and hit like trucks.

I basically just have to hope people run into mine.

Should I be using torpedos on the American cruisers? The range and speed seem to make them more risk than reward.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Your torpedoes in a US Cruiser are kind of like an emergency/backup weapon for if someone gets that close or you get into a situation where you have an opportunity to ambush a BB around an island. They're really not the primary weapon at all and you're usually better off with guns.

That said, when they come up they can be a lifesaver.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

SerCypher posted:

Is there a better way to use Torpedos on American Cruisers?

They are on my Phoenix, but I essentially never find a use for them, as they travel so slow. I find I'm better off just steaming back and forth at range and peppering them with HE. My friend plays Japanese Destroyers/Cruisers, and their torpedos travel fast and hit like trucks.

I basically just have to hope people run into mine.

Should I be using torpedos on the American cruisers? The range and speed seem to make them more risk than reward.

The tend to panic pub DDs into aborting their torpedo runs.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Stanley Pain posted:

Moving from the Cleveland to en Pensicola is sooooo painful. Feels like the entire ship is made out of Citadel :gonk:

That being said, they HE on this thing is kind ridiculous. Been getting nice tight clusters into ships for like 5k damage + tons of secondary things being destroyed/damaged.

You need to learn to use AP and citadel. Cleveland is a cool ship and all, but I feel it teaches cruiser captains some very bad habits. Mainly HE spamming and not angling their ship properly because of the Clevelands good armor and hard to hit citadels. Once you hit the Pensacola you're going to have a longer reload time and I dont know if it has less armor or its just that the citadel goes back to being in the usual location for a cruiser so its easier to citadel.

EDIT: Removed HE rant, as its stupid to tell him to use AP and then rant about how broken HE is at the moment. You really should learn to use AP though because hopefully they'll be nerfing HE soon and you dont want to be caught with your pants down like all the other cruiser players will.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 10, 2015

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Question about battleships. Due to the long reload time, should I just be loading AP at the start? Recently I have been sticking with HE and switching when I get closer, mainly because of the dispersion, but I am not sure if that is the best tactic. Cruisers are far simpler to plan your rounds on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

jadebullet posted:

Question about battleships. Due to the long reload time, should I just be loading AP at the start? Recently I have been sticking with HE and switching when I get closer, mainly because of the dispersion, but I am not sure if that is the best tactic. Cruisers are far simpler to plan your rounds on.

I switch to AP and never look back. Though sometimes I am tempted to go all HE all the time since it will still do some damage if RNGesus is not kind to my dispersion and I don't get a pen. And then do even more damage and/or force them to pop damage control if it causes a fire.