Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
:siren: I can't ride a bike. I'm just curious :siren:

How likely are you to be killed in an accident if you're fully kitted out in gear? I know that wearing all of your gear will turn a fatal accident into one where you just like break an arm or something, but how far back does gear push that line between "dead" and "not dead"?

For example, let's say you are fully kitted out in back, shoulder, elbow, hip/rear end armour, a good set of armoured boots, armoured textile pants, textile jacket, armoured gloves, and helmet. How bad are your injuries expected to be given the following situations:

- Rear ended by a car at a stop light. Car was slowing down, but not enough to stop before hitting you.
- T-boned turning left in an intersection by a guy who runs the red
- merged into on the highway forcing your bike off the road* and into a drainage ditch where you lose control and crash (you are currently doing 100km/h)
- going around a corner at 60km/h, you hit a patch of gravel and wipe out.

*I don't know what the safe exits are for bikes in this situation. Please humour me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

All of those depend on so many variables that it's really not possible to say. You could highside at 160mph at the track and walk away fine, or you could lowside in a gentle turn and die cause the guardrail guilliotined your neck (the latter happened to my boss's brother). The chance is always there, and you can lower it with gear, but never take it away completely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

- Just a few bruises
- You wake up in a hospital being asked memory questions with a couple of broken limbs
- Crapshoot
- Just a few bruises unless there's something really painful by the side of the road

Too much of this poo poo depends on circumstance, surrounding objects and the minutae of how you crash (including the shape and size of the bike itself).

Bikes aren't like cars and riding gear isn't comparable to the number of airbags or whatever. By far the most important and potent safety feature of every bike ever made is the thing between your ears; not crashing at all is the greatest form of safety right? Part of that is dispensing with the mental weakness of thinking in insurance terms - on a bike it doesn't matter who's 'at fault' because you're always the one getting injured. Even if the other person is 'at fault' the rider still has only themselves to blame 90% of the time because 90% of crashes are avoidable through proactive behaviour, good skills and constant observation.

Yes, occasionally people get taken out by red light runners and other things that are legitimately totally unavoidable and impossible to anticipate. That's when your riding gear comes into play.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Too much of this poo poo depends on circumstance, surrounding objects and the minutae of how you crash (including the shape and size of the bike itself).

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at, well put.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

M42 posted:

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at, well put.

There are statistics that can provide guidance for the overall level of risk (for example: It is estimated that helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37 percent.), but again there are outliers. You can get rear-ended at 10MPH and it just happens to startle the driver crossing the intersection, who panics and hits you at 75MPH.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MustardFacial posted:

How likely are you to be killed in an accident if you're fully kitted out in gear? I know that wearing all of your gear will turn a fatal accident into one where you just like break an arm or something, but how far back does gear push that line between "dead" and "not dead"?

For example, let's say you are fully kitted out in back, shoulder, elbow, hip/rear end armour, a good set of armoured boots, armoured textile pants, textile jacket, armoured gloves, and helmet. How bad are your injuries expected to be given the following situations:

- Rear ended by a car at a stop light. Car was slowing down, but not enough to stop before hitting you.
- merged into on the highway forcing your bike off the road* and into a drainage ditch where you lose control and crash (you are currently doing 100km/h)

*I don't know what the safe exits are for bikes in this situation. Please humour me.

This video covers a lot of the potential injuries from different types of motorcycle crashes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MustardFacial posted:

1. Irrelevant. I would pay close attention to my mirrors and dive out of the way, safely avoiding the bad driver.
B. My lightning quick reflexes would allow me to accelerate safely out of harm's way.
III. A quick twist of the wrist and I would be screaming past the offending car. You can't hit what you can't catch. :c00lbert:
Fourth. No, I would not.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
The one takeaway I had from my worst wreck was that I had used basic tumbling skills they made us practice a million times in elementary school. I'm sure common core has thrown that on the scrap heap with cursive, long division, and everything else deemed icky and inconvenient.

(Still waiting for the whole group parachute exercise to pay off, though)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marv Hushman posted:

The one takeaway I had from my worst wreck was that I had used basic tumbling skills they made us practice a million times in elementary school. I'm sure common core has thrown that on the scrap heap with cursive, long division, and everything else deemed icky and inconvenient.

(Still waiting for the whole group parachute exercise to pay off, though)

Cursive is worse than pointless.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MustardFacial posted:

ded

I think that helmets push the line between dead and not dead pretty far. Then after that you're probably addressing primarily how injured you are. The Hurt Report is the definitive study on motorcycle crashes. Probably someone should do another. Here it is if you want to read it: http://isddc.dot.gov/OLPFiles/NHTSA/013695.pdf

Chichevache posted:

Cursive is worse than pointless.

p. good for picking up hipsters

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

p. good for picking up hipsters

Speaking of pointless...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

MustardFacial posted:

As someone who was hit hard enough to destroy my bike pretty good pretty recently (3 weeks), I can unofficially guarantee that my helmet saved my life. I came away with a concussion and some memory loss (I keep wondering where all the zeppelins and quarantine amber zones are, but everyone keeps looking at me weird when I ask), and my helmet was extensively battered inside (the styrofoam was cracked front and back) and out. I also broke my collarbone, but I don't know if any gear could have prevented that. No real scrapes, though, and while my metal footpeg was shattered, both my feet and ankles are perfect.

I could have used hardcore-er gloves for proper hand protection; the little summer gloves I had did great against scrapes, but my right hand is STILL loving bruised and hurts a bit when I close it tightly or use it wrong.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

As someone who was hit hard enough to destroy my bike pretty good pretty recently (3 weeks), I can unofficially guarantee that my helmet saved my life. I came away with a concussion and some memory loss (I keep wondering where all the zeppelins and quarantine amber zones are, but everyone keeps looking at me weird when I ask), and my helmet was extensively battered inside (the styrofoam was cracked front and back) and out. I also broke my collarbone, but I don't know if any gear could have prevented that. No real scrapes, though, and while my metal footpeg was shattered, both my feet and ankles are perfect.

I could have used hardcore-er gloves for proper hand protection; the little summer gloves I had did great against scrapes, but my right hand is STILL loving bruised and hurts a bit when I close it tightly or use it wrong.

Your fake memory is a place I want to live in.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

Your fake memory is a place I want to live in.

It's an alternate universe!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

americanzero4128 posted:

It's an alternate universe!

Holy crap. He was hit hard enough he pulled a Sliders.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I should amend my statement to add the following: 5 or 6 of my braces were knocked off my front teeth in the accident, and I had a pretty good scrape/welt on my forehead. My helmet had scrapes all over the visor. If I hadn't been wearing a full-face helmet, there is no doubt in my addled mind that my face would have been several kinds of hosed up, with probably a broken nose and missing teeth at the very least. The concept of broken facial bones is one that I am not often willing to contempl8.

I am not dumb enough to consider riding a bike without a helmet, but I have to give thanks to all you CA goons and your common-sense approach to ATGATT-browbeating for newbies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

I also broke my collarbone, but I don't know if any gear could have prevented that.

Nope. The collarbone is pretty much impossible to protect because although it's pretty amazingly strong it's fairly weak in the directions that it takes damage in a crash (normally when you put your hands out to save yourself). The only way to stop that is to make the arms and shoulders completely inflexible. Same problem for the wrist and pelvis which are the other common breaks in big crashes.

Even if you could protect them then you don't know where that damage is likely to go - when they first started properly reinforcing ankles in boots there was a rash of really nasty spiral fractures of the tib and fib because the reinforcement was too good - the torque that would otherwise have snapped the ankle (nasty but ultimately a few months in plaster) was being transferred to the long bones of the lower leg and just exploding them, an injury that at best is months in an external fixator and at worst is a leg-loser. Mick Doohan almost lost his right leg in a relatively innocuous lowside at Assen (Dorna's medical rep pretty much had to kidnap him from the Dutch hospital to stop them amputating the leg - he also then invented a new treatment for compartment syndrome to save the leg)

You just never know though. A friend of mine spent 7 years in an external fixator (and threatened to sue his doctor to force them to amputate because he was so sick of the pain) from a 10mph crash in full gear which his girlfriend, in jeans and paddock jacket, walked away from.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Chichevache posted:

1. Irrelevant. I would pay close attention to my mirrors and dive out of the way, safely avoiding the bad driver.
B. My lightning quick reflexes would allow me to accelerate safely out of harm's way.
III. A quick twist of the wrist and I would be screaming past the offending car. You can't hit what you can't catch. :c00lbert:
Fourth. No, I would not.

Crashing is for pussies, got it.

In all seriousness it seems like it's impossible to correctly predict how a crash is going to turn out because of the myriad of factors and forces involved, so it's just best to protect yourself as well as you can and hope for the best. Having said that, motorcycling doesn't seem all that much more dangerous than say longboarding down hills, mountain biking, skateboarding, or anything else where you are at risk to fall at a speed higher than a full on sprint. Obviously the faster you go, the larger the risk.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 10, 2015

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

MustardFacial posted:

I think gear can reliably lower the severity (sometimes substantially) of an impact. Bar a helmet, which actually does keep you from dying, most other motorcycle crashes will be broken bones etc. A good back protector is likely to turn a crash that would leave you paralysed into some bruised vertebrae, for example. I think a good example is Guy's recent race crash. That was a crazy impact, and you'd think he was done for. Instead he got off with a broken back and a broken sternum. That might sound like a lot, but he's already walking around actually working in his shop instead of likely paraplegic or dead.

Like other people have said though, it depends.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

I think gear can reliably lower the severity (sometimes substantially) of an impact. Bar a helmet, which actually does keep you from dying, most other motorcycle crashes will be broken bones etc. A good back protector is likely to turn a crash that would leave you paralysed into some bruised vertebrae, for example. I think a good example is Guy's recent race crash. That was a crazy impact, and you'd think he was done for. Instead he got off with a broken back and a broken sternum. That might sound like a lot, but he's already walking around actually working in his shop instead of likely paraplegic or dead.

Guy was one of the first riders to wear a sternum protector too - they started becoming common in the IoM crowd after joey Dunlop's death, caused by his sternum puncturing his heart. He may well have survived the crash with a sternum protector, and Guy would probably have died without his.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Is...is that the right time unit? 'Cause God drat. :ohdear:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NeuralSpark posted:

Is...is that the right time unit? 'Cause God drat. :ohdear:

Yeah. There's a rather NWS story there (and in particular the reason that finally made him snap and demand amputation). His GF was an absolute saint, basically caring for him 24/7 for those years, and even doing things that don't normally get addressed on the NHS. He could handle the pain (the bone got infected multiple times, they had to open him up every six months or so to try and patch things up a bit more, and he got through enough morphine to put Keith Richards into a light doze and he took it all without complaint but in his own words, "It turns out that it *is* possible to get sick of blowjobs".

He and his GF addressed that the day of the amputation, enthusiastically enough to rip open his stitches. We can all only hope to find someone quite so right for us.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah. There's a rather NWS story there (and in particular the reason that finally made him snap and demand amputation). His GF was an absolute saint, basically caring for him 24/7 for those years, and even doing things that don't normally get addressed on the NHS. He could handle the pain (the bone got infected multiple times, they had to open him up every six months or so to try and patch things up a bit more, and he got through enough morphine to put Keith Richards into a light doze and he took it all without complaint but in his own words, "It turns out that it *is* possible to get sick of blowjobs".

He and his GF addressed that the day of the amputation, enthusiastically enough to rip open his stitches. We can all only hope to find someone quite so right for us.

That's an awful story but a great ending. Well done.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Barnsy posted:

I don't think there is any data that actually indicates spine protectors provide meaningful protection against paralysis. I still wear one, but I think it only lessens impact. Isn't paralysis usually caused by contortion injuries?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The risk of injury on a motorcycle is greatly reduced by not crashing. Just don't crash and you wont get hurt.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I've also heard that the trick to achieving immortality is to just not die.

In other news, the little tire pressure gizmos you screw into your valvestems are useless. I bought some for my motorcycle about 2 months ago. Was doing my weekly prefight checks, and noticed that the tire valve stem gizmo was still green after 2 months of nothing. That seemed weird, so I pulled the gizmo off...
...and it was still green, stating that the tire pressure was good. while it was off the valve stem.

Same for the other tire.

Both tires were 15psi low.

Don't use that poo poo.

<--these things.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

You ride a drz that runs sometimes, I happen to own the same, and I'm calling bullshit on this.

I'd say 60/40. 60% looking for poo poo that wants to kill you, and 40% wearing the right gear.

Play more tetris and frogger until your eyes bleed and you can predict things going on 3 levels ahead of the level you are currently playing.

I wouldn't run a diegrinder without a face shield, why commute with 2 ton piuses being piloted by owners playing with their texticle?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I've also heard that the trick to achieving immortality is to just not die.

In other news, the little tire pressure gizmos you screw into your valvestems are useless. I bought some for my motorcycle about 2 months ago. Was doing my weekly prefight checks, and noticed that the tire valve stem gizmo was still green after 2 months of nothing. That seemed weird, so I pulled the gizmo off...
...and it was still green, stating that the tire pressure was good. while it was off the valve stem.

Same for the other tire.

Both tires were 15psi low.

Don't use that poo poo.

<--these things.

Yeah, I had a set. They are garbage. I swapped them out for some proper caps I nicked from work.
Everyone get these, they are the poo poo:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/valvecap.php

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 11, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Linedance posted:

Yeah, I had a set. They are garbage. I swapped them out for some proper caps I nicked from work.
Everyone get these, they are the poo poo:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/valvecap.php

What's wrong with the regular ones?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

builds character posted:

Nothing, but these are yellow.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

You ride a drz that runs sometimes, I happen to own the same, and I'm calling bullshit on this.

Oh! You caught me!:monocle:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Oh! You caught me!:monocle:

Still faster than a KLR, but slower than a ups truck. :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Those yellow ones cost more to replace when you lose them while checking your pressures :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Deeters posted:

Those yellow ones cost more to replace when you lose them while checking your pressures :v:

At least they don't roll away!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I don't think there is any data that actually indicates spine protectors provide meaningful protection against paralysis. I still wear one, but I think it only lessens impact. Isn't paralysis usually caused by contortion injuries?

A decent back protector does reduce torsion too, but impact is the bigger risk in a bike crash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Hyper extension and compression injuries are huge too.

Hurt report basically states that if you get trained, wear a helmet, and don't drink and ride your chances of being in a fatal drop an insane amount. Basically somewhere in the realm of 90% of the fatals involve at least one of those items.

I've crashed a number of times, including some near triple digit get offs at the track and the worst injury was a massive concussion as a result of a high side on a freeway on ramp. Since then I've had a few street crashes, 3 track crashes, and a bunch of off-road ones and never done anything worse than some road rash in the early days before I wore leg armor and some bruises/scrapes since that. Never been in the hospital due to an accident.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
I'm having real trouble selling my bike and am pretty sure now that it's something blindingly obvious to other people. Could I get a little bit of critique please? The price is pretty middle-ground, I've tried cheaper previously for about and month and still had zero interest :/

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201509046613517

The text formatting is set unfortunately so I don't get much say in the way that appears unfortunately...

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Well for starters the going rate for a 2012 Speed Triple round' my parts is $7.8k which works out to 5100 squid dollars. So other than being possibly 1000 high you've got a long list of "extra" poo poo I couldn't be bothered to read because its almost one long running sentence and the website has terrible formatting. For the most part any "extras" on the bike don't drive up the value in my opinion. Thats a black hole in your pocket, not mine.

Try shortening it up because really I couldn't be assed to read all the poo poo you had written there past "I've got all the maintenance receipts and its in good shape."

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Would anyone happen to know the thread size/pitch for a 1981 honda cm400t brake caliper bleeder bolt? Trying to help a friend with a vintage bike and finding little bits of info like that is a bitch. Motorcycle superstore has m7, m8, and m10 sizes as options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can measure the diameter pretty easily with a ruler or w/e, it's hard to confuse m8 and m10 (I doubt it'd be M7). Thread pitch will almost inevitably be 1.25 or 1.0, unfortunately the handiest way to determine this if you're looking down a hole is by trying to screw various bolts in.