Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

Was the only ethnic group we hadn't hosed over maybe.

E: Doing a quick review of history, we've screwed the Kurds over at least two other times, in 1946 to support the Shah of Iran and in 1975 to support the Shah of Iran again and Saddam Hussein. That's the Kurdish perspective at least.

E2: I would add asking the Kurds/Shia to rise against Saddam in 91 and then abandoning them to that list as well, though we did implement the no-fly zone once Saddam was butchering them.

E3: But we at least got access to Incirlik, right?

Some Iraqi Kurds would probably add 1996 to that as well when America was perceived to drag their feet over Saddam's incursion into Northern Iraq, the seizure of Erbil and the subsequent massacres - it took about 3 days for the US to start Desert Strike, by which stage the majority of the Iraqi army had already withdrawn from Erbil. It wasn't exactly the "comfort" that some Kurdish groups (and Iraqi dissidents) thought the Americans where meant to be providing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Volkerball posted:

...and don't exist because Bush lied people died.

Remember when you were arguing the Iraq invasion wasn't about oil?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Why does everyone assume ISIS got mustard gas from old Saddam stockpiles and not the more logical source which would be old Assad stockpiles. You guy don't think Assad really gave up ALL his weapons in 2013 did you? Or that they were all accounted for in the first place?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Why does everyone assume ISIS got mustard gas from old Saddam stockpiles and not the more logical source which would be old Assad stockpiles. You guy don't think Assad really gave up ALL his weapons in 2013 did you? Or that they were all accounted for in the first place?

Well it was reported last year that ISIS had seized unsecured stockpiles of aged mustard gas from the Iran-Iraq war era so

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Jagchosis posted:

Well it was reported last year that ISIS had seized unsecured stockpiles of aged mustard gas from the Iran-Iraq war era so

Why did we leave unsecured stockpiles of aged mustard gas from the Iran-Iraq war?

Also for books about the Kurds there is Mehrdad Izady. I did a paper on the Kurds back in 06 and in addition to being a lovely paper, that guy was one of the few authors on the topic I could find in my school's library.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It seems the WMD genie is already out of the box. Why not make a wish?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Torpor posted:

Why did we leave unsecured stockpiles of aged mustard gas from the Iran-Iraq war?

Also for books about the Kurds there is Mehrdad Izady. I did a paper on the Kurds back in 06 and in addition to being a lovely paper, that guy was one of the few authors on the topic I could find in my school's library.

iirc it was because it injured a number of soldiers and it was easier for the Pentagon to sweep the whole thing under the rug and leave them there.

Article about FOIA documents pertaining to the weapons

Initial report about ISIS seizing a chemical weapons facility

e: note the military analysts saying that the weapons would have little use beyond being used in IEDs. That is probably what ISIS did considering none of the reports of their chemical weapons use indicates that they are nearly on the level of military grade chemical munitions like those used in say, Ghouta

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Catching up on a few thoughts from awhile ago.

So a new audio from Ayman al-Zawahiri declares war on ISIS and Baghdadi.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/al-qaeda-leader-al-zawahiri-declares-war-isis/story?id=33656684

At another point someone asked about how rebel troops moved around logistically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC0jlzo-EUg&feature=youtu.be

This is a rebel convoy reported as moving from Abu Duhur to the regime enclave at Fu'ah. Beyond the horde of pickups and normal guns on flatbeds, you see a good amount of towed artillery and atleast 5 semis carrying armored vehicles . The tanks look fairly beat up, bu the one self propelled artillery they show looks like it's in good condition.

It does look like they're going to try and finish off the Fu'ah pocket, but they're also announcements of planning a large force to move into Hama. 20k was the figure I saw thrown around but obviously that should be viewed skeptically.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It is now the 14th Anniversary of 9/11, according to EST. Let us reflect on that past tragedy, and think about how we could possibly fix up at least a little of the Middle East.

Never Forget.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Grouchio posted:

and think about how we could possibly fix up at least a little of the Middle East.

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFF-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

It was worth a shot.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Grouchio posted:

It is now the 14th Anniversary of 9/11, according to EST. Let us reflect on that past tragedy, and think about how we could possibly fix up at least a little of the Middle East.

Never Forget.

I sympathize Grouchio, but it would have to be on a scale the US couldn't screw up. I think if the US inserted 6-8 SFOD-D operators during work hours, they could surprise some Middle Eastern family with a newly painted apartment (disclaimer: the ISA might be wrong about family's preferred color- windows and doors might be destroyed by breaching charges).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Al-Saqr posted:

Maybe he means to fix it like Jimmy Savile.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

farraday posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/al-qaeda-leader-al-zawahiri-declares-war-isis/story?id=33656684

American rapprochement with Al Qaeda. Do it. Do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1lkf70g-8

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
In fifteen years we've gone from Let's Going against Al Qaeda before diverting to Iraq for some reason nobody's entirely clear on to this day, to watching as they do the job we're both unable and unwilling to perform fighting the revanchist islamist caliphate. And all it took was multiple trillion dollars, some dead Troops and mortgaging every liberty and principle that purportedly makes America cool and good. Namaste.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Willie Tomg posted:

In fifteen years we've gone from Let's Going against Al Qaeda before diverting to Iraq for some reason nobody's entirely clear on to this day, to watching as they do the job we're both unable and unwilling to perform fighting the revanchist islamist caliphate. And all it took was multiple trillion dollars, some dead Troops and mortgaging every liberty and principle that purportedly makes America cool and good. Namaste.

Everyone said that even from the perspective of a pragmatic Islamic terrorist that bin Laden was crazy because there was no way that bombing America was somehow magically going to make the caliphate reappear. I certainly believed it was a total non-sequitur. But in tortuous sort of way, he actually succeeded :psyduck:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So this was yesterday. Is it gonna be civil war time again now in Turkey?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Friendly Tumour posted:

It's almost unavoidable at this point. The tenuous bridges are burned.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

farraday posted:

At another point someone asked about how rebel troops moved around logistically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC0jlzo-EUg&feature=youtu.be

This is a rebel convoy reported as moving from Abu Duhur to the regime enclave at Fu'ah. Beyond the horde of pickups and normal guns on flatbeds, you see a good amount of towed artillery and atleast 5 semis carrying armored vehicles . The tanks look fairly beat up, bu the one self propelled artillery they show looks like it's in good condition.

It does look like they're going to try and finish off the Fu'ah pocket, but they're also announcements of planning a large force to move into Hama. 20k was the figure I saw thrown around but obviously that should be viewed skeptically.

September 11, 2001: al-Qa'eda destroys World Trade Centre in order to help restore the Caliphate.
September 11, 2015: al-Qa'eda declares war on Caliphate.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
No true Caliphate.

I can't remember the documentary but I remember watching one that covered a jihadi splinter group that slowly devoured itself because members kept seeing their remaining fellows as not quite jihadi enough.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Higsian posted:

No true Caliphate.

I can't remember the documentary but I remember watching one that covered a jihadi splinter group that slowly devoured itself because members kept seeing their remaining fellows as not quite jihadi enough.

I believe it was Monty Pythons Life of Basim.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Higsian posted:

No true Caliphate.

IIRC this was a segment of The Power of Nightmares, where they went into detail about an Islamist splinter group in Algeria that kept shrinking as it became more fundamentalist.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

IIRC this was a segment of The Power of Nightmares, where they went into detail about an Islamist splinter group in Algeria that kept shrinking as it became more fundamentalist.

Yeah that's the one.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

But now in 2015 you grow as thousands from all over the world choose to join the most insanely radical group there is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Friendly Tumour posted:

A Civil War would require opposition factions strong enough to pursue war for a meaningful length of time. It's probably pogroms against Kurds time now in Turkey, not civil war. Worst case scenario there's a coup

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CeeJee posted:

But now in 2015 you grow as thousands from all over the world choose to join the most insanely radical group there is.

Let them go. Make ISIL a honeypot to end all honeypots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

September 11, 2001: al-Qa'eda destroys World Trade Centre in order to help restore the Caliphate.
September 11, 2015: al-Qa'eda declares war on Caliphate.

God Creates Man
Man Destroys God
Man Invades Iraq

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

CeeJee posted:

The fundamentalists lost their civil war with the Algerian government though, so people will be willing to put up with a lot if you have a proven track record. Even still, not all of the militant Islamists are signing up for ISIL by a longshot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
To give you an idea of the level of discourse about Syrian refugees here in the States:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zeroisanumber posted:

To give you an idea of the level of discourse about Syrian refugees here in the States:

it seems as though this visual metaphor could have been made rather more easily by, you know, using visual metaphors instead of giant labels

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

I see the Trump take on Immigration is alive and well....

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

it seems as though this visual metaphor could have been made rather more easily by, you know, using visual metaphors instead of giant labels

Seriously just have an ISIS flag on the tail, or have some random 'terrorist looking' person peaking out the bottom or the back. Instead of just writing Europe on the door just have the European union flag flying over the castle or something.

Theres really no excuses for labels in a cartoon this dumb.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I think you've all lost touch with the state of political discourse in the us

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

The Trojan Horse is in the shape of a donkey, the symbol of the Democratic party. That's downright clever by the standards of american political cartoons.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Zeroisanumber posted:

So the same as Europe then.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gmaz posted:

So the same as Europe then.

The difference is that the European opposition is loud and is changing policy, whereas the American opposition is quiet and is saying "Yeah, Europe should take in those refugees."

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Happy birthday, Bashar :toot:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Radio Prune posted:

Happy birthday, Bashar :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010