Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Moartoast posted:

You don't actively sabotage your own share in the market (literally and figuratively) as hard as Konami did if you're just playing along with a ruse your valued artist wants to do. It absolutely has been a tale of unprofessional petty grudges and mismanagement, PT and SIlent Hills starting to be a thing and suddenly stopping happened because it was released before Konami finally snapped for whatever reason they did.

If it weren't for the very real facts of the moves Konami has been making elsewhere, there might be some credibility to it being all a Kojima rug-pull, but as it stands, Konami's getting more bank from a legal loophole that lets them exploit addictive personalities, Kojima's games cost too much time and money to make and their returns aren't reliable enough to be needed anymore with the totes-not-gambling money Konami's making loads of. Konami's also been very petty in the past towards other people, Kojima's just the loudest one you've heard about, with good reason no doubt, but everything is absolutely as it seems when it comes to Konami's grudge and the termination and purging of Kojima from their business.

We all want there to be one last surprise from Kojima or for it all to be a bonkers conspiracy to drum up publicity in the most absurd way anyone's ever done, but reality comes crashing down on that if you aren't extremely selective with your fact checking.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm just remaining skeptical due to the fact that it's all been a bunch of industry rumors from "insiders" that have come out and sometimes been refuted by other "insiders". This whole situation is just disappointing to say the least, and from the sounds of it, it's all because of some corporate restructuring.

Maybe the business culture is different over there, or maybe they've signed NDAs but that's the other fallacy as I've seen, Del Toro was able to talk about it and so was Norman Reedus, but Kojima hasn't said anything other than a temporary leave of absence from Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Alpha Protocol 2: A Hideo Kojima Game

I want this. Obsidian structure/player choice with the backing of Kojima? It'd be GOTYAY

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I want this. Obsidian structure/player choice with the backing of Kojima? It'd be GOTYAY
I was hyping this but with Bioware back in 2010.

And with very low quality JPEGs apparently.

(edit: am I allowed to plug a five year old blog post with tiny images? I think the Pokemon one is still kinda funny.)

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 11, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Oh yeah, I forgot to add "Hey, we're getting really unhappy with the budget of The Phantom Pain, but go ahead and start development on the playable teaser that will reveal that you're working on another game after this one".

Remember, by the time that PT started development, the majority of The Phantom Pain's development was nearing completion, so when was this "falling out" supposed to take place? Either this whole thing is truly an emotional response, or it defies all logic.

Kojima didn't need more time.

Kojima probably should have pruned down the game to the part with a plot knowing this instead of trying to give more of the self-indulgent Chapter 2. The good bits of Chapter 2 could have been thrown into Chapter 1 anyway. In fact, I have a hunch that at some point the quarantine mission was the resolution to the Kikongo virus but Kojima decided he needed something for Chapter 2. Eli should have been cut entirely. He's a worthless character and no one would be clamoring for more of him and his dumb Chapter 51 unless he was Liquid Snake(apparently Liquid has always been the same person for his whole life down to the same dialog, yawn).

As I've said before, the more Kojima tried to make the 'definitive' MGS with all the bridging and fanservice, the worse it got. Huey and Kaz were great, though.

You know why MGS3 managed to be good all the way through? Because they kept the plot going all the way through, things happened and were weaved into it, but the Volgin stuff was there all the way through. They didn't kill Volgin 3/4 of the way through and then have you randomly wander around seeing cool scenes.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
"It's not over yet!"

Remember, because that's what he said in MGS1? It's cute! Let's make him say it all the time! And put what appears to be a weird mistranslation of it on his jacket.

Never mind that apparently Big Boss said it first in MG2. Never mind the origins of the series. It all comes back to MGS1 and Kojima's inability to let it go. That's why every robot looks like Rex now, that's why you literally go back there in 4, that's why all the little references are to those classic moments.

(When MGS1 was basically a remake of MG2 to begin with, that itself got a spritual remake in MGS2 and then an actual remake in Twin Snakes and then a digital remake of the levels in MGS4 and...gently caress this series.)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Kojima didn't need more time.

Kojima probably should have pruned down the game to the part with a plot knowing this instead of trying to give more of the self-indulgent Chapter 2. The good bits of Chapter 2 could have been thrown into Chapter 1 anyway. In fact, I have a hunch that at some point the quarantine mission was the resolution to the Kikongo virus but Kojima decided he needed something for Chapter 2. Eli should have been cut entirely. He's a worthless character and no one would be clamoring for more of him and his dumb Chapter 51 unless he was Liquid Snake(apparently Liquid has always been the same person for his whole life down to the same dialog, yawn).

As I've said before, the more Kojima tried to make the 'definitive' MGS with all the bridging and fanservice, the worse it got. Huey and Kaz were great, though.

You know why MGS3 managed to be good all the way through? Because they kept the plot going all the way through, things happened and were weaved into it, but the Volgin stuff was there all the way through. They didn't kill Volgin 3/4 of the way through and then have you randomly wander around seeing cool scenes.

The game could have used some restructuring for sure. There were some gaps where I'd go back to Mother Base and wander around looking for things to do, but in chapter 2 it seemed like every time I visited there was something going on.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VagueRant posted:

"It's not over yet!"

Remember, because that's what he said in MGS1? It's cute! Let's make him say it all the time! And put what appears to be a weird mistranslation of it on his jacket.

Never mind that apparently Big Boss said it first in MG2. Never mind the origins of the series. It all comes back to MGS1 and Kojima's inability to let it go. That's why every robot looks like Rex now, that's why you literally go back there in 4, that's why all the little references are to those classic moments.

(When MGS1 was basically a remake of MG2 to begin with, that itself got a spritual remake in MGS2 and then an actual remake in Twin Snakes and then a digital remake of the levels in MGS4 and...gently caress this series.)

'It's not over yet!' is a mainstay of the series, if there wasn't someone comprised entirely out of hatred and steely determination relentlessly trying to kill the player whilst shouting stuff like it really wouldn't be a Metal Gear game

Also nice username/post combo :D

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

9/11: A Hideo Kojima Ruse™

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I'm ready for kojima-san final masterpiece, Metal Gear Solid V: Blackhound. The trailer will have the v turn to 5. You will need to 100% both gz and pp and get both msx tapes. Blackhound will be metal gear 1 remake where solid snake voiced by quinton flynn, takes out outer heaven/mother base. That is just the intro, part 2 you play as big boss who must spend 100s of real time game hours building up ZANZIBAR LAND through fultoning everything in pp. Game ends on hilarious boss fight where some young punk kills you with hairspray and you never tell him you are his father but he still knew in shadow moses.

Then it turns out the whole thing is a coma dream. Msg4 ending then happens again in fox engine

Thank you kojima.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 11, 2015

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I liked Eli and Psycho Mantis

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked hating Eli. Each time I slapped his stupid face filled me with transcendent joy. I did have flashbacks to every movie I've ever seen with a lovely functionally/literally demonic child who people stupidly keep giving enough freedom to ruin everything with, though.

I felt bad for Baby Mantis. Not only did he have no personality, they literally said he becomes a puppet to whoever around him has the strongest will.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Lmao I guess that means his dying redemption was just Snake rubbing off on him

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You heard me

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Maybe. But it sounds like Mantis saves Eli from suicide at the end of their planned arc of his own volition. So there's some genuine affinity there. I mean who would understand and be sympathetic to Eli/Liquids motivations better at that point? They both want to lash out at the world.

Of course that just leaves a bigger trail of bodies later but that's fine they're villains!!!!!!!!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Konami just favorited this tweet

https://twitter.com/PythonSelkan/status/642026954003226625

That countdown actually hits zero later this evening.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The INGSOC Black Hound website is actually a Konami ruse, but once the time is up a video plays showing the CEO of Konami laughing at the fans faces for buying the game and then he snorts cocaine and brags about how he's going to rise in the ranks of the Yakuza between the money you gave him and pachinko machines, as Hideo Kojima then "disappears" and is never heard from again.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The INGSOC Black Hound website is actually a Konami ruse, but once the time is up a video plays showing the CEO of Konami laughing at the fans faces for buying the game and then he snorts cocaine and brags about how he's going to rise in the ranks of the Yakuza between the money you gave him and pachinko machines, as Hideo Kojima then "disappears" and is never heard from again.

I would be satisfied if this was the end of Metal Gear.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Another Bowie connection: Snake has a little China girl

Edit: just as specious...in Five Years he says "I never knew I needed so many people"

:tinfoil:

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 11, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And if you want a company that knows how to do 9/11 check out capcom. They flew to the UAE and revealed a new Saudi character in Street Fighter lmao.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And if you want a company that knows how to do 9/11 check out capcom. They flew to the UAE and revealed a new Saudi character in Street Fighter lmao.

link please

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Moartoast posted:

So uh, what's actually the deal with the Operation Intrude N313 tape at the very end of the game? I get that it's the codename for MG1's mission, but what's the deal with it being put in a tape player? I'm guessing the camera panning to show an MSX keyboard and what is clearly the blue glow from the MSX startup screen is just a fun easter egg for those who recognize what's happening there, but what's the implications of the tape belting out static? Was that also just a cute MSX nod? Was the whole thing a cute nod to the MSX or was there more to it being a tape belting out screeching static put in by who I assume is meant to be the real Big Boss sending Solid to kill Venom?

That whole bit was like a cool thing that gave me nerd shivers but then made me do a double take and say "wait what does that actually imply" and I haven't come up with an answer I'm confident with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHwDcZxusY

The tape static is the loading noise that old school tapes used to make, it's just the sound of data. I don't see why there would be another meaning for it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I kind of wonder what Venom's Paz hallucinations looked like to the people around him.

Just walk up to the second strut and have the door guard salute you, then just stare at the door for several minutes before walking away. Sometimes repeatedly.

I did always like how Venom would basically walk into Paz's room, give her a photo and make her PTSD hard enough to be painfully ill, then walk out without saying a word. What a douche

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

redreader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEHwDcZxusY

The tape static is the loading noise that old school tapes used to make, it's just the sound of data. I don't see why there would be another meaning for it.

Remember the MSX tape from Ground Zeroes? Classified Intel or something? Some guys on an MSX forum took the sound clip and found a snippet of data in it that says "VOL2" or something.

http://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/metal-gear-solid-5-cassette-tape?page=1

It's quite possible there could be more data hidden in the one in TPP but I imagine it'd be hard to isolate due to the music in the background.

(also people assume it has something to do with Black Hound, ingsoc.org, Kojima's Wild Ride aka the Ruse Cruise, Mission 51, Kojima did 9/11, metallic archea can melt steel beams, tinfoil hat stuff but who knows)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I kind of wonder what Venom's Paz hallucinations looked like to the people around him.

Just walk up to the second strut and have the door guard salute you, then just stare at the door for several minutes before walking away. Sometimes repeatedly.

I did always like how Venom would basically walk into Paz's room, give her a photo and make her PTSD hard enough to be painfully ill, then walk out without saying a word. What a douche

I thought the implication was he walks through the door onto the outside deck and hallucinates everything.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-reveals-rashid-for-street-fighter-v-310326.phtml

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

I thought the implication was he walks through the door onto the outside deck and hallucinates everything.

Yeah, that becomes clear when that storyline is completed, you're outside on a grate thing a couple of floors up, looking at a door to the inside with a peace sign on it.

edit: did I miss something or did I hallucinate that chapter 2 was all about 'race'? Like, they had apartheid in South Africa at that time. It would have been really easy to fit that in. Maybe they forgot that chapter 2 was about race? It was, wasn't it?

redreader fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 11, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

redreader posted:

Yeah, that becomes clear when that storyline is completed, you're outside on a grate thing a couple of floors up, looking at a door to the inside with a peace sign on it.

edit: did I miss something or did I hallucinate that chapter 2 was all about 'race'? Like, they had apartheid in South Africa at that time. It would have been really easy to fit that in. Maybe they forgot that chapter 2 was about race? It was, wasn't it?

It is odd building design, I assumed he just sort of wandered over there while hallucinating

As for chapter 2, I didn't really get a read on it as a race issue, besides "there are a lot of black Africans here getting hosed over by poverty and foreign powers". It's a class thing more than a skin thing

How the hell Eli ended up there is beyond me though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is odd building design, I assumed he just sort of wandered over there while hallucinating

As for chapter 2, I didn't really get a read on it as a race issue, besides "there are a lot of black Africans here getting hosed over by poverty and foreign powers". It's a class thing more than a skin thing

How the hell Eli ended up there is beyond me though

Knowing Kojima, he probably conflated "race" with "genetics."

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I really hope that Blackhound thing is gonna fix up chapter 2.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Did chapter 1 have a title?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

VagueRant posted:

Did chapter 1 have a title?

It was called "Revenge", I think?

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Gortarius posted:

It was called "Revenge", I think?

Yup. Chapter 1 was "Revenge", Chapter 2 was "Race" (why?).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mash posted:

I guess they could be referring to race in terms of language, and "race" is just a mistranslation from "culture" or whatever.

Or the race that BB is training for since he can run for kilometers in full combat gear at a dead sprint

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Mash posted:

Maybe it was like "Race to get the game completed before we run outta money."

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess they could be referring to race in terms of language, and "race" is just a mistranslation from "culture" or whatever.

I suppose. "Language" or "Culture" really would've been more appropriate, although not calling it Chapter 2 at all and just having it be an epilogue would've been the best.

Gortarius posted:

Maybe it was like "Race to get the game completed before we run outta money."

This is the most likely scenario.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Whatever Kojima does next, I hope he's given almost unlimited reign as a game designer, and is reigned in real tightly on pretty much everything else. The guy makes excellent game systems, with tons of ways to play around with them and have fun and have a satisfying experience, but his writing, story choices, and project management skills are... questionable. Like, I don't want him to have no input on story--I think having Kojima collaborate with another writer often leads to great results (see: MGS 1 through 3)--just, y'know, don't give him free reign there or you end up with <insert nanomachines/parasites hyperbole here>.

Actually, give him free reign over the soundtrack, too (obviously he isn't composing it, but let him pick the composer and/or licensed music).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mash posted:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Mash posted:

I suppose. "Language" or "Culture" really would've been more appropriate, although not calling it Chapter 2 at all and just having it be an epilogue would've been the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08VCkyG_C2s

Moartoast posted:

So uh, what's actually the deal with the Operation Intrude N313 tape at the very end of the game? I get that it's the codename for MG1's mission, but what's the deal with it being put in a tape player? I'm guessing the camera panning to show an MSX keyboard and what is clearly the blue glow from the MSX startup screen is just a fun easter egg for those who recognize what's happening there, but what's the implications of the tape belting out static? Was that also just a cute MSX nod? Was the whole thing a cute nod to the MSX or was there more to it being a tape belting out screeching static put in by who I assume is meant to be the real Big Boss sending Solid to kill Venom?

That whole bit was like a cool thing that gave me nerd shivers but then made me do a double take and say "wait what does that actually imply" and I haven't come up with an answer I'm confident with.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It was the real Big Boss sending Venom a briefing file on the operation, probably warning him that Solid was on his way. Remember that the government hires the real BB to infiltrate Outer Heaven and find out if the nuke rumors are true - they don't know about Venom. Ostensibly what happens is that the two BBs coordinate to feed Solid - Foxhound's biggest rookie - bad intel so that he doesn't succeed, but he actually ends up defying their expectations and killing Venom. The tape was likely BB giving Venom a heads-up and info on the operation so he could set a trap.

It could also be a call-back to the mysterious MSX tape from GZ - it has no audio on it and only plays static. Some people are theorizing that it was going to have some sort of connection to TPP that ended up getting cut, but who knows.

Sex Tragedy posted:

Some theorize big boss is giving venom the same kind of mission to die that the boss got. Then venom decides to give snake the bad intel from the other frequency.
This is pretty much the theory elaborated on in this giant spoiler post at giantbomb:

http://www.giantbomb.com/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/3030-40796/forums/the-ultimate-ending-discussion-spoilers-1781915/#28

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 11, 2015

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
The more I think about it, the more I feel the twist would have worked way better if the real Big Boss was actually dead. Everything thereafter would have been a desperate attempt at keeping the legend alive, working with the game/series placing great emphasis on memes/languages and how a simple name like Big Boss can serve to be the ultimate propaganda tool. Venom Snake's Outer Heaven uprising would have been a perversion of Big Boss' will that in itself was a perversion of the will of the Boss, adding a bit more tragedy to the whole affair. The Real big Boss still being alive cheapens the whole affair imo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Machinegunboyo posted:

The more I think about it, the more I feel the twist would have worked way better if the real Big Boss was actually dead. Everything thereafter would have been a desperate attempt at keeping the legend alive, working with the game/series placing great emphasis on memes/languages and how a simple name like Big Boss can serve to be the ultimate propaganda tool. Venom Snake's Outer Heaven uprising would have been a perversion of Big Boss' will that in itself was a perversion of the will of the Boss, adding a bit more tragedy to the whole affair. The Real big Boss still being alive cheapens the whole affair imo.

I like the real Big Boss being alive because it lets him fall very, very far--ultimately giving his phantom the same mission given to the Boss (assuming that theory is true), the same mission that destroyed Big Boss and sent him on the path that led him this far, is extremely poetic and powerful.

Ultimately I really like the Venom Snake twist--I'm mostly disappointed in the rest of the story, not that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Harrow posted:

I like the real Big Boss being alive because it lets him fall very, very far--ultimately giving his phantom the same mission given to the Boss (assuming that theory is true), the same mission that destroyed Big Boss and sent him on the path that led him this far, is extremely poetic and powerful.

Ultimately I really like the Venom Snake twist--I'm mostly disappointed in the rest of the story, not that part.

What bothers me about this is that the Boss ultimately sacrificed herself for her country, whilst Venom is essentially sacrificing himself for one man - Big Boss. Whilst it's a small detail I do feel it makes a big difference in that Venom's plight just seems a lot more trivIal in comparison.

• Locked thread