Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CommieGIR posted:

Considering the way that tank is burst, I'm willing to bet with you on that.

ACETYLENE LEAKAGE/DECOMP AIN'T NOTHING TO gently caress WIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the russians say it's a CO2 fire estinguisher.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
No fuckin' way, not with that valve remains and multi-painted color and longitudinal split on the canister is it anything that would gently rupture like CO2 (in relation to tank ruptures like that).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

8ender posted:

Also the people honking horns and routing around the exploded car like it's just an annoying inconvenience

Yeah, I don't know what that monosyllable the guy in the camera car mutters is, but I'm assuming it's something like "whatever"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

The gently caress, people. Charge balancing is not unknown and also not expensive. Just do the right goddamn thing, holy poo poo.

But then they wouldn't make as much profit, and that's just not an option.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

Dannywilson posted:

No fuckin' way, not with that valve remains and multi-painted color and longitudinal split on the canister is it anything that would gently rupture like CO2 (in relation to tank ruptures like that).

Compressed gas cylinders are designed to rupture like that. The reason behind it is that you DO NOT want a cylinder to turn into shrapnel in case of a rupture.

Here is a small 2oz co2 cylinder brought to failure by fire. Notice the similarities. If a tiny tank made an explosion like that imagine what that 10-15 pound tank did in an enclosed trunk. If i had to guess, the cylinder was overfilled and/or had a defective/bypassed safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7gKT8YyXg

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
One of the things about paintball that was always in the back of my mind was if I managed to do something stupid and rupture the lovely 3000psi air tank hanging off the back of my marker. They make 4500psi tanks too, haven't played in a good decade, wonder how high the tanks go now to bring the size down.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

veedubfreak posted:

One of the things about paintball that was always in the back of my mind was if I managed to do something stupid and rupture the lovely 3000psi air tank hanging off the back of my marker. They make 4500psi tanks too, haven't played in a good decade, wonder how high the tanks go now to bring the size down.

try being a firefighter and carrying 200-300 bar of air on your back

i mean yeah by the time one of those lets go due to temperature you're gonna be long past caring anyway but still

smax
Nov 9, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

I used to paintball back around 2002-2003, they were up to 4500 psi in carbon fiber tanks at that point, and I believe I've seen some 5000 psi tanks since then as well. I was always terrified of banging my 45 CI, 4500 psi carbon fiber tank into a rock or something while sliding into cover.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think SCUBA tanks win. Their pressure is nearly as high (240 bar, 3500 psi), but they’re comparatively huge.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the reason i specifically mentioned firefighting is that they are being taken into a very hot environment where you can reasonably expect the air to increase in temperature causing a corresponding increase in pressure

that being said, you'd be using it up too fast for it to overpressurise, rendering it a moot point, but then we did have a case on one of my ships where a valve got cracked open while the bottle wasn't attached to anything. it made one hell of a dent in a steel door, lucky no one was in the way

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The SCBA Firefighting tanks I used were rated up to 4500 PSI. Back mounted obviously, probably pretty similar to scuba tanks but I've never looked at those closely.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

Platystemon posted:

I think SCUBA tanks win. Their pressure is nearly as high (240 bar, 3500 psi), but they’re comparatively huge.

Have a bunch of these sitting around

We also have a small one about the size of the tank that was in that car that is pressurized to 10,000 psi. but that one is only used to calibrate our hydro testing equipment.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Two Finger posted:

that being said, you'd be using it up too fast for it to overpressurise, rendering it a moot point, but then we did have a case on one of my ships where a valve got cracked open while the bottle wasn't attached to anything. it made one hell of a dent in a steel door, lucky no one was in the way

On one of my ships, a similar thing happened (either someone dropped a bottle onto its valve or a valve got opened, I don't remember) during a training exercise. The flying bottle hit a fellow crewmember in the head, killing him :(.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

On one of my ships, a similar thing happened (either someone dropped a bottle onto its valve or a valve got opened, I don't remember) during a training exercise. The flying bottle hit a fellow crewmember in the head, killing him :(.

That was one of my biggest fears.

I had a guy drop an acetylene bottle down a ladderwell in front of me. The threads for the cap ripped off, and it tumbled out of his hands. I was loving positive we were all going to die but somehow it bounced harmlessly into an AFFF station.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

That was one of my biggest fears.

I had a guy drop an acetylene bottle down a ladderwell in front of me. The threads for the cap ripped off, and it tumbled out of his hands. I was loving positive we were all going to die but somehow it bounced harmlessly into an AFFF station.

i mean the bottles are actually still tough as all gently caress
it's just when they do go they go big

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
It's not just exploding cylinders that are dangerous.

quote:

This is reportedly the result of a leaking acetylene cylinder that was stored inside of a plumber’s work van. It is believed the ignition source was a remote door-lock device
http://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/even-a-small-cylinder-of?q=forum/topics/even-a-small-cylinder-of
More pictures in the link

And a great video of cylinders getting their valves knocked off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-xmaPSZ6GM

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I take it everyone heard about the Saudi Crane Failure today? 107 killed. Plenty of depressing pics on twitter.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/11/middleeast/saudi-arabia-mecca-crane-collapse/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I take it everyone heard about the Saudi Crane Failure today? 107 killed. Plenty of depressing pics on twitter.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/11/middleeast/saudi-arabia-mecca-crane-collapse/

The Saudis and Qataris are notorious for poor construction practices.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Two Finger posted:

i mean the bottles are actually still tough as all gently caress
it's just when they do go they go big

I know they're tough, but the valve was literally just hanging out there at that point and it fell ~8ft bouncing down stairs. It was sheer loving luck that it never bounced off the valve.

Although that reminds me. Guys doing a braze job in the same space as the O2N2 plant onboard, on some coolant piping. System was tagged out, and supposedly despressurized. As soon as he sweated a fitting, a 4' flame shot out of the pipe. His fire watch ran immediately, and supposedly turned off the bottles. When I got to the space 5min later, all you could smell was acetylene and black poo poo was floating everywhere. He had fully opened the bottle, and the torch was still open, so he had just filled an entire space with acetylene.

When I asked our engineering master chief what we would do in the event of a fire in the O2N2 plant, his answer was "Run to the opposite end of the ship, and pray. Because at that point, we're beyond hosed."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

He had fully opened the bottle

hahahahahahahahaha

iwentdoodie posted:

When I asked our engineering master chief what we would do in the event of a fire in the O2N2 plant, his answer was "Run to the opposite end of the ship, and pray. Because at that point, we're beyond hosed."

yep. there's a few situations like that really, incredibly unlikely to happen but if they do, that's it

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Two Finger posted:

hahahahahahahahaha

yep. there's a few situations like that really, incredibly unlikely to happen but if they do, that's it

I wish I was joking. He ran into the shop saying the dude who bad been brazing was dead. In reality he had just ducked out of the way of the flame. And that guy had been in for ~6yrs at that point and always bragged about damage control poo poo he had done.

I really miss being on a ship. That poo poo is god drat entertaining.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Everything I needed to know about the dangers of compressed gas tanks I learned from playing Max Payne.

This on the other hand... :stonk:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The first phrase that comes to my mind when i see something like that is "lifetime timing belt"

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Acetylene chat, I went to a highschool back in the nineties where we had a jewelry making class, part of that was melting silver and brazing. We used an oxy acetylene torch at our whim with no supervision. there was no talk of it being explosive at certian PSI. I bought one in my mid twenties, a smaller setup, but i am terrified of it. i want to switch to mapp gas.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Real" mapp gas hasn't been produced since 2008. Dunno if that's a good or a bad thing.

Stolen from reddit:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Powershift posted:

The first phrase that comes to my mind when i see something like that is "lifetime timing belt"

For-life timing belts are just that - they last for the life of the engine. 'Cause when they die, so does the engine!

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Stolen from reddit:

Subaru ring of fire?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Mr.Bob posted:

Acetylene chat, I went to a highschool back in the nineties where we had a jewelry making class, part of that was melting silver and brazing. We used an oxy acetylene torch at our whim with no supervision. there was no talk of it being explosive at certian PSI. I bought one in my mid twenties, a smaller setup, but i am terrified of it. i want to switch to mapp gas.

More welding gas chat, i told this story in the GIP idiots thread. but whatevs.

I was working as a airbase firecrew leader during my stint in the airforce, we get a call about a bottle of "welding gas" having been damaged in a fork lift related gently caress up. Fearing its acetylene we roll out with lots of resources and orders the MP to start en evac of the surrounding buildings. We get to the scene, and find a bottle of argon with a nasty dent so we relax the situation abit, but we still had a damaged pressurevessel to deal with. Our protcoll called for puncture by rifle, so we started rigging it up. and was nearly ready when the officer of the day, a major from wing ops decided to commit some leadership (he had no command over the firecrew). he told us that "welding gas" was very very flammable, and we had to rig for torching. i told him that it was argon, and that we had it under control. he told me that if it was being used for welding it was explosive, and that he was a major and i was a sergeant. I tried arguing and even showed him the periodic table. defined the word "inert". he got so pissed he wrote up my name and number and started calling the fire department chief so i told him that i would indulge him and rig some torches. we so did. our dedicated "good shot" nailed the bottle and the jet of argon blew out the torches.

i shrugged and we drove back to the station..

that two year period in the airforce prior to going to afghanistan var a shitshow. we had to put out the machine shop like three times due to the same loving idiot machining his magnesium rimz without googling "magnesium" beforehand

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Should have had an accident "put him out".

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

"Eh? a flat? it's only 10 minutes home!"

I bet that made a magical noise

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I had a buddy drive 5 miles on a flat because his crossfire only included a pump and sealer not a spare..

Lucky he didn't need a new rim just a new $250 tire because the sidewall on the inside was missing.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Biscuit Joiner posted:

It's not just exploding cylinders that are dangerous.

More pictures in the link

A friend of mine did this. loving moron. Blew up a whole block when he hit remote unlock.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/british-columbia/plumber-s-car-explodes-near-vancouver-apartments-1.1350088

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 13, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I love their reinforced testing cell/parking lot with houses just up the hill from it.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Since we're talking compressed combustible gas tank disasters, this is by far the worst one I've seen in recent memory. It's been a while since I watched the whole thing, I forgot just how bad it gets even when you think it can't get any worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v43nWJ2aoNE

:supaburn: :derp: :supaburn:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:toot:

https://youtu.be/iam27Mh1zu4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress the Discovery channel.

Surprised the dude didn't try to convince us to slam a mountain dew in between breaths.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, i didnt listen to the sound i just looked for the footage. Ill see if i can locate a less annoying one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The narration didn't bother me, but the rapid fire editing sure as hell did.

Where the sounds dubbed in? Sounded like a fireworks show, especially with the rocking guitar work in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Uthor posted:

The narration didn't bother me, but the rapid fire editing sure as hell did.

Where the sounds dubbed in? Sounded like a fireworks show, especially with the rocking guitar work in the background.

That one sounds a bit spruced up compared to the original. Not quite dubbed, but definitely processed to make it sound more intense (higher frequencies cranked up a bit, etc.)