Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Zeroisanumber posted:

He might if it's that or a shutdown during the election season. We'll see.

I don't think he's adroit enough of a politician to know that picking a fight over PP isn't going to be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

SquadronROE posted:

Everyone keeps saying Jeb! is bad at politics, but I'm not sure I see it. To a Democrat or non-vile person he might be saying some rather insensitive things but I don't see how it's any worse than what Trump or Cruz is doing.

It's not a question of insensitivity. The problem is that he comes off as awkward and distant, that he doesn't seem to have a coherent image or policy plan, and that he's really bad at framing proposals and arguments in ways that appeal to voters. Whether or not what Trump and Cruz say is worse, they're better at saying it.

Take the anchor babies thing. The problem with that from a campaign perspective wasn't that it was racially insensitive - I mean, it was racially insensitive and a bad thing to say, but Trump has had success saying things that are equally objectionable. The problem from a political perspective is that it didn't make any loving sense for Jeb Bush to say it. It fucks up his image as someone who's moderate on immigration and electable, and to no benefit whatsoever because it's not going to convince anyone on the right that he's an immigration hardliner. It also comes off as an unplanned gaffe because it fits in so poorly with the rest of his rhetoric and because he fumbled apologizing for it. And that's the kind of thing that he does constantly.

Also the guy just comes across as an awkward putz.

Fried Chicken posted:

Candidates drop when they
c) get pressure through the establishment

I could see that happening. The Republican establishment isn't stupid - if Bush's numbers continue to be so low, I think his support is going to dry up, and at a certain point I think some Republican bigwigs are going to start having some words with him. They might not be able to force him to drop but they can certainly make his life harder.

But I think it'll take a good long time for that to happen.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think he's adroit enough of a politician to know that picking a fight over PP isn't going to be a good thing.

You don't get to be Speaker by being bad at politics.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Teddybear posted:

They won't be cheering when the city hikes property taxes to pay for the multi-million dollar judgment in two years.

Oppressing towelheads: Priceless.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Bob Ojeda posted:

The Republican establishment isn't stupid

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

And what part of this will force Bush to drop out?

a) run out of money
b) it becomes mathematically impossible for them to win (and sometimes fight to a stale mate then)
c) get pressure through the establishment and an offer from the leader that lets them and their supporters come into a greater position of power within the leader's organization

A won't happen - Bush has too much money and these days a pocket billionaire can keep anyone going.
C won't happen - Bush is the establishment guy of choice already. And can you really see Trump offering him a spot in his cabinet/VP? Or Bush taking it?
B we won't know about until almost a year from now. And I don't put good odds on Bush/Walker/Rubio/Kasich/Christie being decisively beat early on like how Gingrich or Perry was in 12

So basically we are down to the Quin Hillyer option that the establishment guys get together and most fall on their sword to let one of them rise. But other than that there is no way for Trump or any of the insurgents to force them out of the race

Yeah, but you can make the same argument about Trump dropping out.

A won't happen - Trump has already shown he willing to lose money on this and throw his personal money around.
C won't happen - Trump doesn't give a drat about being an establishment Republican and having 'power' in the GOP.
B we won't know about until almost a year from now but not a single poll in the last two months has shown Trump as anything other than the front-runner.

Edit: To clarify, that doesn't mean I think your analysis is *wrong* - I just think it's going to take months of primaries to shake out who the nominee will be rather than the "front-runner gets challenged but still rolls to victory" model people seem to want to apply.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So does anyone think GOP will shut down government over Planned Parenthood/20 week abortion ban?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Was Romney ever polling badly? I seem to recall his polls were fairly solid and steady while every month one of the other idiots rose to prominence until they misspoke or they became the butt of jokes on SNL and people moved to the next hoping to find their true conservative hero. Trump has been consistently gaining momentum and brushing off stuff that would end a lesser campaign while Bush has been sagging with absolutely no enthusiasm anywhere.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So does anyone think GOP will shut down government over Planned Parenthood/20 week abortion ban?

I think they will, but they would have found another reason to be obstinate if the PP videos didn't exist.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Uh, yeah. As it turns out, a number of people do.

Government Shutdown 2: Shutdown Harder

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is like the fifth or sixth one I think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Government Shutdown 6: A Good Day to Shutdown

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

zoux posted:

This is like the fifth or sixth one I think.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdown_in_the_United_States

Apparently we've had 18 so far.

Edit: phone posting on my lunch break means I don't pay attention. We've had 18 "funding gaps", but not all have resulted in government shutdowns.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 11, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Zeroisanumber posted:

You don't get to be Speaker by being bad at politics.

I don't think he's good at big picture politics and I think the entirety of his speakership speaks to that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think Sam Rayburn could run this caucus.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

zoux posted:

The real question is, could Thomas Brackett Reed?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bob Ojeda posted:

The real question is, could Thomas Brackett Reed?

Look if we're going to play All-Time Fantasy Congress I'm going to need to run some mock drafts.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

They're largely of his own doing though. Like, people who say, but its just such a tough job herding all these crazies, seem to forget he openly encouraged and embraced the non-sense that fueled their rise in the first place, then when they came aboard and he had plenty of opportunities to explain to them how power works, he decided that appeasement was a better strategy.

In other words, Boehner and rest of the establishment are like kids who play with fire and then are hosed shocked it burns.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

And what part of this will force Bush to drop out?

a) run out of money
b) it becomes mathematically impossible for them to win (and sometimes fight to a stale mate then)
c) get pressure through the establishment and an offer from the leader that lets them and their supporters come into a greater position of power within the leader's organization

A won't happen - Bush has too much money and these days a pocket billionaire can keep anyone going.
C won't happen - Bush is the establishment guy of choice already. And can you really see Trump offering him a spot in his cabinet/VP? Or Bush taking it?
B we won't know about until almost a year from now. And I don't put good odds on Bush/Walker/Rubio/Kasich/Christie being decisively beat early on like how Gingrich or Perry was in 12

So basically we are down to the Quin Hillyer option that the establishment guys get together and most fall on their sword to let one of them rise. But other than that there is no way for Trump or any of the insurgents to force them out of the race

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that the Republican Party will run George W. Bush's brother as their candidate. Maybe, at a stretch, if he was some sort of unbelievable, whiz-bang, super impressive guy, I could buy it--but he obviously isn't.

Obviously it's not going to be Trump either, but my gut tells me they're going to end up having to go with Rubio or something.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

quote:

But even that's going to be tough. Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are using the budget process to push their ideological agendas on everything from abortion to military spending to international nuclear deals. And there's a presidential campaign going on, complicating the decisions and actions of the five senators running for the White House. (And in the Senate, sometimes it only takes one.)

The media is garbage. Both sides are doing it! For example, these three things Republicans are demanding be changed using the threat of a shutdown. But Democrats won't let them! Both sides are bad!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fantasy congress sounds kinda fun.

e: and also exceedingly tedious and difficult to make a game of

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cnut the Great posted:

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that the Republican Party will run George W. Bush's brother as their candidate. Maybe, at a stretch, if he was some sort of unbelievable, whiz-bang, super impressive guy, I could buy it--but he obviously isn't.

Obviously it's not going to be Trump either, but my gut tells me they're going to end up having to go with Rubio or something.

It's a combination of the utter lack of talent in the Republican Party and the rhetorical hole they dug themselves into. Their dog whistling has caught up to them and now they are resigned to picking the most moderate-looking candidate possible to try and win a general. Jeb is boring and inoffensive and kinda sorta looks like he could be a president so that's good enough. I think they should have backed Rubio from the start but that's another story. It's really hilarious when conservatives lament about Trump ruining the "strongest Republican field in our lifetimes" because it's really just a bunch hacks and wannabes that are only there due to the lack of a very strong or obvious candidate.

The republicans in their current state seem doomed in general elections until some sort of cataclysmic event like scandal, war, or economic collapse happens. Until then they will continue to lose the presidency until the party has a major shake up and reforms itself.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Yep. Also, PP just filed suit in Arkansas about the cancellation of Medicaid payments by the legislature in response to those videos. Going by precedent, this is a slam dunk for PP, but these days partisanship can trump rule of law if you get the right judge

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Devor posted:

The media is garbage. Both sides are doing it! For example, these three things Republicans are demanding be changed using the threat of a shutdown. But Democrats won't let them! Both sides are bad!

Democrats are demanding an end to the sequester this time

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Good. But get this --- that's an actual budget issue.

Sequester was the dumbest loving thing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

Fantasy congress sounds kinda fun.

e: and also exceedingly tedious and difficult to make a game of

Debate & Discussion: The Problem Attic > USPOL September: Exceedingly tedious and difficult to make a game of

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone else got some fun money in PredictIt?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Biden and Boehner will be sitting behind Francis as he gives an address to Congress next week.

The obvious question: who cries first?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Biden and Boehner will be sitting behind Francis as he gives an address to Congress next week.

The obvious question: who cries first?

Biden. It's been a rough few months for Joe.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fried Chicken posted:

In the context of threatening a shutdown / refusing a Continuing Resolution? I'm not able to find anything to that effect.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

If you want a compromise "clean CR", this is the way to do it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

To be fair the sequester literally was put in place as a "this so bad, it will force us to agree on a budget in place of it" mechanism.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

To be fair the sequester literally was put in place as a "this so bad, it will force us to agree on a budget in place of it" mechanism.

I remember those innocent years. Thinking people would actually care about governing in government. It was incomprehensible that people would destroy faith in the dollar, wipe out the economy and cripple the nation as a cheap political stunt.

Now we've learned the tooth fairy isn't real.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Who do they think they are performing this theater for exactly?

Those fliers and letters you're going to start getting in a few months.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Not me bud, it's a foregone conclusion here.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

But what if I lust for fetus death?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

make some fetus floats, two scoops ice cream one fetus from planned parenthood.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Fried Chicken posted:

We are 6 months out from the first primary. Guessing the "how" is a mugs game. I just look at the obstacles to be overcome and I can't see a way this doesn't go to whom the establishment picks

Do the Republicans has a legal system in place to make sure Trump isn't on the ticket, like the democrat super delagates?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gently caress, I'm a mailman, I have to leave look at them all.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Isn't the administration also threatening to veto any budget that doesn't include closing Guantanamo? Or was that some fever dream I had?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Not me bud, it's a foregone conclusion here.

No I meant the fliers and letters are the audience, these dumb bills are p much only so when they make an ad saying I opposed the Iran deal they have something to point to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr Jaunts posted:

Isn't the administration also threatening to veto any budget that doesn't include closing Guantanamo? Or was that some fever dream I had?

Send all fetuses to Gitmo. Two birds with one stone.

• Locked thread