Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Question Mark Mound posted:

How thicken is the access card? I have a cheap silicone case on my phone that I will occasionally keep a thin card or cloak room ticket inside. There's no pocket, but anything super thin will fit in behind the phone.

I already tried with my leather case - the card is just thick enough to make the case not fit right. You're right that a silicone case would probably work, but I've grown accustomed to my Apple leather case and ideally would like to find something similar. I've looked on Amazon, and I've found a number of cases that pretty much do what I want, I just need to be willing to switch from the leather case to *shudder* plastic or silicone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd check that the card isn't going to have an issue with being kept so close to the phone - I was on vacation in a hotel that used RFID cards for room access and some of my friends were finding theirs blanked. I kept mine behind my phone (a Rineke Fusion case) and it worked a treat... until it blanked about a week in. Probably just crap cards they used, but might be a pain if it kept happening to you.

Don't think it will be an issue with your Apple Pay though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ireland banks STILL don't support Apple pay, even though we've had Contactless for years (McDonalds and a few other places here actually supports Apple Pay for foreign customers) and we're moving on to the 2nd phone that has Pay (we don't have Apple Watches either)

Same with Canada, and we've had contactless payment for years now.

Understandably, the big Canadian banks hate the idea of someone that isn't them scooping up those lucrative transaction fees. With Interac, the merchant pays the fee, the consumer sees no charges and the bank reaps the profit. Hence why Interac is available literally everywhere in Canada and has been for decades. "Who really profits from the transaction?" is why you see all those other 3rd party payment systems squabbling over Applepay in the US. In Canada our banks just organized faster to get something in place years ago, so no Applepay anytime soon.

:canada:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My office uses rfid cards and I am on my seventh one. Could my phone be the culprit?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

dexter6 posted:

Does my current status with AT&T (not eligible for upgrade until Mar 2016) have any effect on whether or not Apple will put me on their lease program? It's unclear*

*maybe it's because no one knows yet?

No effect. The Apple plan is completely independent of carrier financing/contract status. Imagine it's like you're buying a new iPhone for full retail price on a credit card with 0% interest for 2 years.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Will an iPhone 6 case work on an iPhone 6s? I can't tell if the camera is bigger or anything else is different.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think they only change is they are like 1/5 of a mm thicker, so it should probably work.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EC posted:

I know this is possible, but I don't remember how: I'm going to use my wife's upgrade to get the 6s, and give her my 5s (she currently has the 5). When the phone gets here, I'm planning to:

- Backup the 5/5s locally
- Sign both out of iMessage
- Reset both phones
- Take the sim from the 6s and swap it with the one in the 5s? I think?
- Restore both phones

That sound right?

Asking on the new page, do I have the right process here or am I forgetting something?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Asking on the new page, do I have the right process here or am I forgetting something?

I'd just do what the Apple store does:

1. Turn off find my iPhone in iCloud
2. Reset all
3. Remove SIM
4. Insert SIM in fresh phone
5. Restore from backup

It's weird because I thought you had to do some kind of carrier voodoo to activate the new phone, but every time I've switched mine out (like five times now with this 5S model :argh:), they just pull one out of the box and stick the SIM in it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Has anyone contacted Apple to find out if TMobile prepaid plans (specifically the 100minute/5GB 4G for $35/mo) plan would work with their payment plans?

Also, I haven't seen clarity on this but are the prices listed by Apple per month a flat fee or will they be tacking tax on as well?

Lblitzer posted:

Supposedly you can get an Unlocked device through their Upgrade Program but I believe at the time it only gives you options to go through the carrier to check to see if you're eligible? I'm not exactly sure, there's just not enough info out right now.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I use Cricket and would love to take advantage of Apple's deal rather than go through a carrier.

Following up on this. Just called Apple and they confirmed that you can use whatever plan you want if you buy a device on installments. Gonna preorder an iphone on my current month to month verizon plan then swap over to the TMobile prepaid plan. They only recommended that you pick the unlocked version (if there's even a choice for this? I assume any Verizon-associated versions should be unlocked?).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple still hasn't posted their full terms for the Upgrade Program, which is a little disappointing considering they open up preorders tonight at midnight.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

Apple still hasn't posted their full terms for the Upgrade Program, which is a little disappointing considering they open up preorders tonight at midnight.

Correct, I just checked before I saw your post and the site lists it as "coming soon". I guess I'll get on tonight and try to schedule an appointment and if some bad news gets released in the interim I'll bow out.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

xzzy posted:

Ars says that signing up for it will only reserve the device for pickup, then you have to go in to the store to do a credit check

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Ars says that signing up for it will only reserve the device for pickup, then you have to go in to the store to do a credit check

Yeah I saw that story, there's just a lot of ambiguity at the moment. Apple's site says it's a non-contract phone, but it requires activation with a carrier? How the gently caress does that work?

The only way I'm interested in this new offering is if I can buy the phone, pull the SIM out of my old phone and pop it into the new one and it's a done deal.

(except for the fact my current phone is a 5 so I'll have to swap from a sim to micro-sim)

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Yikes, I came here to ask this exact question. I called an apple store instead and the woman outright told me that I could not get a phone through the upgrade program and use it with Cricket Wireless. I had assumed I could get the T-mobile one since that one is listed as being unlocked when you're looking at it in the Apple Store app and it says everywhere in the iPhone Upgrade page "Unlocked! choose your carrier!!". :/ How obnoxious.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

GenericGirlName posted:

Yikes, I came here to ask this exact question. I called an apple store instead and the woman outright told me that I could not get a phone through the upgrade program and use it with Cricket Wireless. I had assumed I could get the T-mobile one since that one is listed as being unlocked when you're looking at it in the Apple Store app and it says everywhere in the iPhone Upgrade page "Unlocked! choose your carrier!!". :/ How obnoxious.

Yeah this is the issue I'm at, too.

So there's this site that supposedly is the link to go to check to see if you'll be able to reserve but obviously I don't have an account with those providers so welp!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah, the site has said since the beginning you have to be on one of those 4 carriers to be eligible. You could get a cheap phone, activate the tmobile plan and then swap phones over later I suppose. I wouldn't hold out hope of this working on Cricket but idk.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm on ST and just want to own the phone. I take it if I pick the AT&T or TMobile as my carrier and pay full price, I'll get an unlocked 6s?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

If I sold my phone with AppleCare on it and the person I sold it to wanted to use the AppleCare plan to make an accidental damage exchange, would they run into any issues or do I really have to mail them a letter with copies of all my receipts?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

birds posted:

If I sold my phone with AppleCare on it and the person I sold it to wanted to use the AppleCare plan to make an accidental damage exchange, would they run into any issues or do I really have to mail them a letter with copies of all my receipts?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

Phone posted:

I'm on ST and just want to own the phone. I take it if I pick the AT&T or TMobile as my carrier and pay full price, I'll get an unlocked 6s?

Assuming you're talking about the new Apple purchase plan. The answer to your question is unknown at this time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trying to find the best way to get my girlfriend on my account in a mobile shared plan.

- She is currently on Verizon, out of contract.
- I am on ATT with an unlimited data plan. I am willing to give up my unlimited, because going on their 15GB shared plan would save us both money per month.
- She wants to keep her number.
- I am not upgrade eligible, but she has no interest in paying for the new phone. I have a 6 that I would give her, and I'd take the new phone.

Do we have to buy a 6S using her name/number, and just select ATT as the provider? Then later can I add her phone to my account, then SIM swap so I get the 6S and she gets my 6?

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would add the new line at time of purchase (you can buy it basically however you like) and port her phone number over then. That'll activate the new phone's SIM card on her number immediately and all you'll need to do is swap SIMs out. Back your 6 up ahead of time so you can erase it and give it to her to set up as soon as her number is on it.

Make sure she has no outstanding bills on her Verizon account and brings the Verizon account number with her when you go to buy the new phone so the number porting goes smoothly.

banana allergy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 11, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

Assuming you're talking about the new Apple purchase plan. The answer to your question is unknown at this time.

mr pink, you're a loving idiot. I said "I want to own the phone", not "I want to lease it indefinitely from Apple for the low-low-low cost of $xx.xx per month". Holy poo poo, dude.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

banana allergy posted:

I would add the new line at time of purchase (you can buy it basically however you like) and port her phone number over then. That'll activate the new phone's SIM card on her number immediately and all you'll need to do is swap SIMs out. Back your 6 up ahead of time so you can erase it and give it to her to set up as soon as her number is on it.

Make sure she has no outstanding bills on her Verizon account and brings the Verizon account number with her when you go to buy the new phone so the number porting goes smoothly.

So it'd just be like me buying a new phone and adding a new line to my account? Is there an option to port a number over after selecting a new line? Or do I have to call ATT to get that done after I get the phone?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Phone posted:

mr pink, you're a loving idiot. I said "I want to own the phone", not "I want to lease it indefinitely from Apple for the low-low-low cost of $xx.xx per month". Holy poo poo, dude.

It's a 24-month installment plan. You want to keep the phone and (presumably) the AppleCare+, you pay the 24 installments.

You want a new phone? Then you turn your current one in after 12 months, they waive your remaining 12 months, and you start a new 24 month installment plan for the new phone.

Holy poo poo, dude.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Molten Llama posted:

It's a 24-month installment plan. You want to keep the phone and the AppleCare+, you pay the 24 installments.

You want a new phone? Then you turn your current one in after 12 months, they waive your remaining 12 months, and you start a new 24 month installment plan for the new phone.

Holy poo poo, dude.

What? Apple will just eat the $500 remaining on your plan if you decide to upgrade early?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

They aren't eating the cost when you have to give back the phone.

Which in that case, yes, you basically are leasing it.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So it'd just be like me buying a new phone and adding a new line to my account? Is there an option to port a number over after selecting a new line? Or do I have to call ATT to get that done after I get the phone?

That's exactly what you're doing. You might be able to port the number later by calling AT&T but in my opinion it's probably easier to do it immediately, unless you're trying to surprise her with the phone. If you plan on calling later pick up a spare AT&T SIM because you'll have to activate a new one when you call to port the number.

If you're doing it online to get delivered or if she can come with you to buy it just do all of it at once. You'll get the new line, new phone, and an active SIM with her number all at once. Erase phones, switch SIMs, restore data, boom.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Molten Llama posted:

It's a 24-month installment plan. You want to keep the phone and (presumably) the AppleCare+, you pay the 24 installments.

Holy poo poo, dude.

OK but Phone literally said this

Phone posted:

and then someone assumed they were talking about the installment plan because apparently that someone has difficulty reading sentences.

I believe all 6S phones will work with any carrier. TMo for sure will get you an unlocked 6S, Verizon will also, I do not know if AT&T locks iPhones sold at full price, and I couldn't tell you if a contract is required for any of those.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey. Guys. Seriously. I know we've joked about it in past years but I need you all to stay off Apple's site tonight for about 15 minutes.

Thanks in advance!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope 9.1 is being work on hard, because 9.0 is pretty rough around the edges. Yeah, typical x.0 release and usually I've suffered through betas rather than jumping in at GM like I did this time, but quite a few things bugging me.

* App Store screwed up and Facebook Messenger entered a state of limbo where it was both installed and not installed. Forced it off, did a reinstall and finally got it working, but it's still not playing right (all my messages are coming through as Facebook notifications not Messenger, and neither app are getting badges).

* Volume control just stopped working out of nowhere

* That swipe left screen seems really lanky. Swipe down to get the news, but if I swipe up it tries to go into search. It already has a search box, so I have no idea why it's reacting to a swipe. React when I click the search box.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Edit: Wrong thread. Whoops.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Remember to use the app!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

banana allergy posted:

That's exactly what you're doing. You might be able to port the number later by calling AT&T but in my opinion it's probably easier to do it immediately, unless you're trying to surprise her with the phone. If you plan on calling later pick up a spare AT&T SIM because you'll have to activate a new one when you call to port the number.

If you're doing it online to get delivered or if she can come with you to buy it just do all of it at once. You'll get the new line, new phone, and an active SIM with her number all at once. Erase phones, switch SIMs, restore data, boom.

Nah she knows about the phone. Can I do this right in the Apple Store app? Do I just buy the phone with all her info, then call to add her to my plan? When we stick in her info and phone number, then select ATT, I am assuming it will ask me if I'm porting a number? Won't it ask what plan we want?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've never ported a number on iPhone night before or added another line to my account before.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 12, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah I saw that story, there's just a lot of ambiguity at the moment. Apple's site says it's a non-contract phone, but it requires activation with a carrier? How the gently caress does that work?

The only way I'm interested in this new offering is if I can buy the phone, pull the SIM out of my old phone and pop it into the new one and it's a done deal.

(except for the fact my current phone is a 5 so I'll have to swap from a sim to micro-sim)

Just FYI, your iPhone 5 has a nano SIM which the 6S will use, as well. It'll literally be a SIM swap, assuming you can do what you're trying to do, which I don't have an answer for!

I wasn't planning on buying this phone since I tend to buy full price unlocked, but this iPhone Upgrade thing kinda mitigates that a bit, especially since it'll leave me with a 5S and 6 to sell off. (Or keep as backup in the latter case.) Minus side, I don't really care to stay up until 3 AM.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I can't manage to sell my unlocked, perfect condition 6 and I don't know why.

Anyway, I plan on signing up for that upgrade plan at 3AM, but I'm kinda hoping I can just reserve it and pick it up on that Monday or Sunday and not lose my reservation.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is preordering only done through the apple store? The Verizon site mentions midnight preorders but has no information on how and no link to Apple so that's really confusing.

I didn't get a chance to pre-enter my info before they closed the iPhone section of the Apple store--how annoying is that going to make it to get this preorder done tonight?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Carriers definitely have their own preorders available. Doing it through Apple probably won't be very annoying.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheQat posted:

Is preordering only done through the apple store? The Verizon site mentions midnight preorders but has no information on how and no link to Apple so that's really confusing.

I didn't get a chance to pre-enter my info before they closed the iPhone section of the Apple store--how annoying is that going to make it to get this preorder done tonight?

Not all. Pre entering your info and the time it takes to enter your info is like 5 seconds max. It's just number, billing zip, last four of social.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm really hoping I can set an alarm for 2:55, wake up, spend 5-10 minutes on the app, and then go right back to sleep.