Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah the Iconians seem like cool dudes. Should be an option to just kill Sela and hang out in the past with the cool guys. Whatever was attacking my ship could probably take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
I tried playing the FE yesterday. With all the disconnects that I was getting it was near unplayable. The last part I saw was Shon quoting the Charge of the Light Brigade as we were going through the portal. And then it disconnected again. I took that as a sign to quit trying for the day. Maximum corn had been reached.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Morglon posted:

Yeah the Iconians seem like cool dudes. Should be an option to just kill Sela and hang out in the past with the cool guys. Whatever was attacking my ship could probably take it.

We could've easily solved the problem by just flying to Dewa 3 and handing them the Heart and Sela's bullet-riddled corpse and going 'hey guys sorry about that we cool bro?'.

Sela: the cause of all the universe's problems.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Yeah, it'd be easy to fix. But they didn't. :effort: The new featured episodes are so half-assed now. Even if Cryptic has been pretty good about doing one per month or so since the expansion hit, which at least is a welcome change.
Yeah, they've gotten so bad that my main criteria for judging them now is "How fast can I run through this mission next week when I'm skipping all cutscenes?"

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

MikeJF posted:

We could've easily solved the problem by just flying to Dewa 3 and handing them the Heart and Sela's bullet-riddled corpse and going 'hey guys sorry about that we cool bro?'.

Sela: the cause of all the universe's problems.

Seems about right. Apparently also Popeye the sailor man

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
debating giving sela the death penalty in star trek online

for her terrible crimes

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1203563/yay-we-won-and-sela-doesnt-get-locked-up-for-war-crimes-wait-what#latest

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Sela was right.

I actually agreed with her all the way up to the end when suddenly it was immaterial what choices I'd made up until then and the mission had determined I would be 'the good guy' and not allow me to accomplish my objective of saving the galaxy because the Iconians were just so damned nice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aleth posted:

Sela was right.

I actually agreed with her all the way up to the end when suddenly it was immaterial what choices I'd made up until then and the mission had determined I would be 'the good guy' and not allow me to accomplish my objective of saving the galaxy because the Iconians were just so damned nice.

Not really just because it was so loving obvious that we were going to be the cause of the iconians getting so vengeful. Narrativium.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Ah! Was almost disappointed when I didn't see Starswordsc in that thread, but there he is, spouting "firing squad" for all mass murderers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

DonDoodles posted:

Ah! Was almost disappointed when I didn't see Starswordsc in that thread, but there he is, spouting "firing squad" for all mass murderers.

Let's be real.

With any modern phaser or disruptor, multiple shooters is a) overkill and b) not going to obfuscate the 'killer' whatsoever, since the beam makes it readily apparent which weapons struck where.

Can't we be civilized and maroon a war criminal on a planetoid scheduled for genesis device deployment?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Just space her and be done with it.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I always find it funny when for story reasons a character is 'stunned' despite their body lying atop a pile of shotgun shells.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

AfroSquirrel posted:

I always find it funny when for story reasons a character is 'stunned' despite their body lying atop a pile of shotgun shells.

I refuse to play the Bajor ground STF with anything besides my romulan flamethrower, which has been set to "stun".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Let's be real.

With any modern phaser or disruptor, multiple shooters is a) overkill and b) not going to obfuscate the 'killer' whatsoever, since the beam makes it readily apparent which weapons struck where.

Can't we be civilized and maroon a war criminal on a planetoid scheduled for genesis device deployment?

They could set 4/5 phasers to 'stun'.

Just like they do on Bajor.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Some of the original plans for the last episode were, blowing up earth/the other homeworlds

One idea was the 2001 route and turn Jupiter into a sun for somereason.

I liked the bridge design at the very end.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

I liked the bridge design at the very end.
It's a shame we'll never see it again, and certainly not on a lockbox ship. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

It's a shame we'll never see it again, and certainly not on a lockbox ship. :v:

Peace Treaty Terms: The iconians go away but they leave a limited number of their ships behind in large boxes scattered around space.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
A Ferengi WOULD try to barter with an Iconian. But you run right up against "What's in it for me?" from the Iconian.

Then again, that's never stopped them. I remember Armada and Armada 2 where the Ferengi would gladly drag off a Borg Cube for salvage given half a chance.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bloodly posted:

A Ferengi WOULD try to barter with an Iconian. But you run right up against "What's in it for me?" from the Iconian.

Ear massages.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Technical Analysis posted:

Just space her and be done with it.
Then hit her with the krenim eraser beam, problem solved.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bagpuss posted:

Then hit her with the krenim eraser beam, problem solved.

billions of lives saved

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cryptic email this morning posted:

Elite Rewards for Captains like You!

Thank you for flying alongside us! We are giving you a powerful gift that will help you on your journey! Use the code below to claim your FREE Andromeda Class Exploration Cruiser and enough XP to set your highest level character to 60!

No, Cryptic. I set this nonsense down with the launch of Delta Rising and you'll have to do a lot more than this to bring me back.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
If nothing else the 10 spec points will let you play through all of the dumb story episodes without any grinding if you ever decide to check out the thrilling conclusion to the Iconian war.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Alternately you could do what I did and claim the code via the website with the link they even conveniently put in the email, and then proceed to still not log in or even bother reinstalling the game.

If Cryptic ever manages to make the game worth playing again, it'll be there waiting for me.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Apparently the crew isn't as small as people think but with Gozer MkII at the helm the game isn't going anywhere but down.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
The real question is: Will there still be enough pubbies to troll?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They've fixed a good deal of the poo poo wrong with DR. Featured episodes and ec-> spec xp have ameliorated the spec point grind, and they got rid of the hard fails and lockouts on the pve queues.

Also they still sell computer models of start trek space ships and continue to expand space Barbie. Pubs aren't going anywhere.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but they're also not doing anything and they added more hard failure conditions to the elites.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Lagomorphic posted:

If nothing else the 10 spec points will let you play through all of the dumb story episodes without any grinding if you ever decide to check out the thrilling conclusion to the Iconian war.

Is there a particularly good way to grind these days? I got left short of what I need for the next DR mission and logged out, defeated.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nope.

fake edit: Patrols, maaaaybe red alerts, those lockbox temporal doff jobs, uhhh.....

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly? Just queue up a full suite of doff jobs and run the featured episode every week for the weekly reward, along with whatever queues you feel like bothering with. You could grind, but this will get you 2-3 spec points per week for minimal effort. You honestly don't really need more than 30 points in a primary and 15 points in a secondary; the only thing you can't get off the exchange instead are the ship traits, and the only one of those worth bothering with is Pedal to the Metal anyway.

Yeah it's still a dumb grindy system, but Cryptic's gone out of their way to remove the easy options and why spend more work on it than you have to? :effort:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah once you get to 60 they don't have anymore content gated behind the XP grind at least. If you're still sub-60 and just want to get to the end of the episode arc your best bet is hitting up the Tholian alerts in the beta quadrant. Just swap instances in sector space until an alert comes up. If it's Tholian go do it and warp out before with 5/6 enemy groups dead and repeat. There's a 30 minute cooldown on doing the alert that you dodge by warping out early and the bulk of the xp comes from killing the enemies. There's lots of them and you get 5x the xp for ship kills in an alert.

If you're not in a hurry to get to your next spec point just doff and run the featured episodes when they're running for the weekly spec point.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I refuse to play the Bajor ground STF with anything besides my romulan flamethrower, which has been set to "Fun!".

Fixed that for you

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I always used that undine hand cannon thing that makes lava eruptions.

Definitely set to fun when used on Bijor.

There is something more appropriate about using the flamethrower though. I can't believe I forgot about that weapon, it's definitely the most appropriate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DancingShade posted:

I always used that undine hand cannon thing that makes lava eruptions.

Definitely set to fun when used on Bijor.

There is something more appropriate about using the flamethrower though. I can't believe I forgot about that weapon, it's definitely the most appropriate.

There were so many strange and weird weapons from early in the game's life that kinda fell by the wayside as new stuff outpowered them massively. At least the upgrade system has made some of them usable again.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

MikeJF posted:

There were so many strange and weird weapons from early in the game's life that kinda fell by the wayside as new stuff outpowered them massively. At least the upgrade system has made some of them usable again.

I still regret spending lobi on the temporal ground phasers a few years back to match my Mobius and Wells + temporal uniform + temporal consoles and all the other temporal bits and bobs.

They were depressingly bad compared to even an advanced fleet AP splitbeam - at least I got the majority of the lobi from an event and not lockboxes though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Pretty much everything's useful on ground if you get it up to MkXIV or whatever. I mean some things are certainly more useful than others, but no part of this game is hard in a pre-made and if you're pugging who gives a gently caress what they think.

DarkMalfunction posted:

I still regret spending lobi on the temporal ground phasers a few years back to match my Mobius and Wells + temporal uniform + temporal consoles and all the other temporal bits and bobs.

They were depressingly bad compared to even an advanced fleet AP splitbeam - at least I got the majority of the lobi from an event and not lockboxes though.
The pistol at least had the fun of being an "untargetable" effect rather than just a "stun", meaning nobody could do anything to the target until it wore off. When it went live, if you had two or three people with it you could basically piss everyone else in the group off by locking a boss or a t-rex or whatever down until timers ran out. Maybe you can still do that, it seems like something Cryptic would never bother fixing. :v: The rifle is pretty irredeemable though and as far as I can tell worse off from just using a splitbeam or full auto rifle and doesn't even get fun SFX for the tradeoff.

I have a personal fondness for the Vaadwaur miniguns from the lockbox. Unlike most (all?) minigun variants they don't have that 1-2 second charge time before the secondary fire gets going, you just click it and it goes right away and it's satisfying to watch while it ejects a torrent of empty shells.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I gave up caring about ground weapons when they prevented you from using the Voth minigun HTH attack in social zones.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

IPCRESS posted:

I gave up caring about ground weapons when they prevented you from using the Voth minigun HTH attack in social zones.

I never got how you could freely open fire on your starship bridge by going into that annoying first-person mode, but not in social zones. Especially from a lore sense, but even from a gameplay sense, why allow it on a sensitive bridge but not on a starbase or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

Pretty much everything's useful on ground if you get it up to MkXIV or whatever. I mean some things are certainly more useful than others, but no part of this game is hard in a pre-made and if you're pugging who gives a gently caress what they think.

The pistol at least had the fun of being an "untargetable" effect rather than just a "stun", meaning nobody could do anything to the target until it wore off. When it went live, if you had two or three people with it you could basically piss everyone else in the group off by locking a boss or a t-rex or whatever down until timers ran out. Maybe you can still do that, it seems like something Cryptic would never bother fixing. :v: The rifle is pretty irredeemable though and as far as I can tell worse off from just using a splitbeam or full auto rifle and doesn't even get fun SFX for the tradeoff.

I have a personal fondness for the Vaadwaur miniguns from the lockbox. Unlike most (all?) minigun variants they don't have that 1-2 second charge time before the secondary fire gets going, you just click it and it goes right away and it's satisfying to watch while it ejects a torrent of empty shells.

Shell casings + Weakens shields on the target for the whole group if I remember right. I think its the only ground thing I bothered to get up to MkXIV. Did they ever reintroduce the vendors selling those romulan full-auto rifles? Those were like the funnest guns in the game.

• Locked thread