Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't want a car that feels huge.
"Tough luck, buddy" - crumple zone crash standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Like it or not, the new Civic isn't a loving Aztek, it's not "hideous" you dumb car nerds.

If the leak came with info that it was going to come with an AWD wagon variant you'd all be getting wet at the idea of it, singing its praises, then not buying it anyway.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

Like it or not, the new Civic isn't a loving Aztek, it's not "hideous" you dumb car nerds.

If the leak came with info that it was going to come with an AWD wagon variant you'd all be getting wet at the idea of it, singing its praises, then not buying it anyway.

The Aztec was an attractive vehicle, the new Civic is ugly as balls.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fknlo posted:

You know that Acura beak that everyone loved? We should put that on the civic. Except make it stretch the whole front of the car.

It's the chrome eyebrows look from the last-gen Fusion

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To take a break from styling chat, a significant thing happened yesterday. BMW, Ford, General Motors, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Tesla, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo all committed to making auto-braking standard equipment across their line.

It's likely a move to head off legislation mandating it, but it's still a pretty big step forward for automation.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So the LAPD is buying teslas? Oh brother

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So the LAPD is buying teslas? Oh brother

Oceanside PD has one already. Unmarked, no idea how they got it, but it's got blackout tint and you'd never know until you split past it on a bike and see a mounted shotgun.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Wheeee posted:

I don't like the new Civic because it appears to be loving massive. The styling is pretty unoffensive, even bland.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bull3964 posted:

To take a break from styling chat, a significant thing happened yesterday. BMW, Ford, General Motors, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Tesla, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo all committed to making auto-braking standard equipment across their line.

It's likely a move to head off legislation mandating it, but it's still a pretty big step forward for automation.

I've seen the videos of it failing though, I bet we'll get lawsuits where people will crash into people and sue the car company because the car didn't stop. :v:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm guessing that no guarantee of effectiveness is given. After all, if you get injured in an accident where your airbag deployed correctly you don't sue the car company.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

And another death knell for manual transmissions though the writing has always been on the walls. Automated braking probably doesn't work very well with manuals since the car has no control over the clutch and transmission so it could cause the engine to stall and you could end up in the wrong gear after the automated braking is released. It probably won't end up on manual transmission cars but it's one less feature the manufacturer and dealer could sell you on and, depending on how it's designed and implemented, it may be more expensive to produce a car without automated braking let alone with a manual transmission.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Writing is on the wall anyways for manual transmissions since they don't work (or, rather, are unnecessary) on electric vehicles.

Anyways, the braking is for emergency purposes only, there's no reason why that couldn't be put on a manual vehicle since it really wouldn't matter if you stalled.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 12, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The best automatics are already strictly better than manuals, apparently including Mazda's new unit, so I wonder how long it'll be before lovely automatics are the exception in mainstream vehicles rather than the rule.

Probably never since most automatics are poo poo due to being programmed around gaming mileage tests rather than technical reasons.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

The best automatics are already strictly better than manuals, apparently including Mazda's new unit, so I wonder how long it'll be before lovely automatics are the exception in mainstream vehicles rather than the rule.

Probably never since most automatics are poo poo due to being programmed around gaming mileage tests rather than technical reasons.

Better technically, worse enjoyably.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There will undoubtedly be ways around the lovely programming though, a reflash/hack will make the trans perform however you want.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Wheeee posted:

The best automatics are already strictly better than manuals

:lol:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

It's objectively true. Better mileage, faster acceleration, more efficient. All manuals have left is how people feel about them, and I'm guessing we're the last generation of driver's who really care. No one misses hand crank starters or ox-carts either.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anyone that denies that automatics today are objectively better than manuals aren't helping because it's true. Anything on paper and measurable is better with today's automatics.

I still drive a stick and will continue to do so as I am able but it is purely an enjoyment thing. I'll shift slower, rougher, and get worse mileage but I'll enjoy the drive more.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

If electric cars become the norm fixed ratio transmissions like tesla uses will replace both auto and manual.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Anyone that denies that automatics today are objectively better than manuals aren't helping because it's true. Anything on paper and measurable is better with today's automatics.

Yeah, but "on paper and measurable" brought us eugenics, so whatever.

When you drive an automatic you're giving a reach-around to Hitler.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

Edward IV posted:

And another death knell for manual transmissions though the writing has always been on the walls. Automated braking probably doesn't work very well with manuals since the car has no control over the clutch and transmission so it could cause the engine to stall and you could end up in the wrong gear after the automated braking is released. It probably won't end up on manual transmission cars but it's one less feature the manufacturer and dealer could sell you on and, depending on how it's designed and implemented, it may be more expensive to produce a car without automated braking let alone with a manual transmission.

Autobraking is already a feature in manual transmission cars today, so that is no reason for the death of the stick. Emission and CO2/fuel consumption standards & regulations are more of a threat.

The automatic gearbox allows more "trickey" to be accounted for when running fuel consumption test cycles. Like coasting in neutral etc. Stuff that is still possible with a manual, but since it is not automated, is not allowed during the test cycle.

There are solutions though:
https://youtu.be/wK3Z3x0umcQ

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When you drive an automatic you're giving a reach-around to Hitler.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frank Dillinger posted:

It's objectively true. Better mileage, faster acceleration, more efficient.

Depends. Real world economy often doesn't line up with official numbers (just ask anyone with a 7 speed DSG in their VW)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Wheeee posted:

so I wonder how long it'll be before lovely automatics are the exception in mainstream vehicles rather than the rule.

Hasn't the Corolla been on the same 4 speed forever, or did they finally change that?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

blk posted:

Hasn't the Corolla been on the same 4 speed forever, or did they finally change that?

They have CVTs now, which is an improvement I guess. It's a bit like Sophie's Choice for transmissions

Admittedly, I've never driven the CVT

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

a primate posted:

They have CVTs now, which is an improvement I guess. It's a bit like Sophie's Choice for transmissions

Admittedly, I've never driven the CVT
Pretty sure the cheapest Corolla you can get that isn't a manual is a 4-speed, and then higher specs that people other than rental companies get have a CVT.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The least efficient 4 speed Corolla still beats or matches the fuel economy of the most efficient automatic/dual clutch Ford Focus or Chevy Cruze, so maybe the number of speeds in the transmission isn't everything?

I've been reading a fair bit on dual clutch transmissions recently, especially the dry clutch types used by Ford and VW and they are pretty scary. Dry clutch DSGs use straight airflow to cool their clutches, so the bellhousings have vents for airflow. People living in rainy or dusty climates or drive through mildly deep puddles are getting all kinds of hilarious problems - water changes the friction coefficient of the clutches, but the clutches are controlled only by electronics, unlike the older 6 speed wet clutch types that use hydraulic pressure in tandem, so the clutches pretty much destroy themselves, and water getting into the bellhousing causes rust in all kinds of neat places, like the face of the flywheel. The whole DSG-in-passenger-cars idea was a VW/Piech ego play because Toyota/AIsin supplied almost all of VAG's transverse automatic transmissions and Piech just wanted to be independent.

Companies like Toyota/Aisin and Mazda that make their own transmissions pretty much looked at VW's DSGs, laughed their asses off and said HAHA HOW ABOUT NOPE. Ford is almost certainly going back to a regular 6AT in the next Ford Focus because the current DCT is un-fixable and basically can't match the efficiency of a good TC transmission like the Mazda3s anyway. The best part is that dry clutch DSGs are actually much cheaper to build than conventional autos, especially if you care about intellectual property rights which are mostly controlled by companies like Aisin and ZF, so all the Chinese cheap car makers use DSGs now. GM is putting DSGs into their new Cruze and Buicks in the Chinese market and all the reviews are saying that the GM DSGs are worse than dogshit.

I can't wait until VW brings the 7 speed dsg over to North America.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 13, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That 6 speed DCT in the focus I think is the main reason those cars got hit with the depreciation stick so hard. $24K out the door, $12K trade in three years later. With all the recalls. Once they fixed the seal letting transmission fluid leak onto the clutch surfaces it was a decent driving car. Still, I dunno who let that car out to the public with how it drove initially. I basically felt like I pre-ordered a car from Ubisoft at that point and got to beta test it for full retail.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Throatwarbler posted:

I've been reading a fair bit on dual clutch transmissions recently, especially the dry clutch types used by Ford and VW and they are pretty scary. Dry clutch DSGs use straight airflow to cool their clutches, so the bellhousings have vents for airflow. People living in rainy or dusty climates or drive through mildly deep puddles are getting all kinds of hilarious problems - water changes the friction coefficient of the clutches, but the clutches are controlled only by electronics, unlike the older 6 speed wet clutch types that use hydraulic pressure in tandem, so the clutches pretty much destroy themselves, and water getting into the bellhousing causes rust in all kinds of neat places, like the face of the flywheel.

Can they run tubes/shrouds over the open vents and passively or actively force air over the clutch? Packaging might be tough.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Isn't part of manuals getting worse mileage related to the manuals not being updated and geared worse at least at highway driving? Also, owning an automatic for 200k miles is still a crapshoot and if you have a problem it costs a lot versus a manually typically being the clutch is all. Would you rather replace a clutch or a dsg/cvt?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

The least efficient 4 speed Corolla still beats or matches the fuel economy of the most efficient automatic/dual clutch Ford Focus or Chevy Cruze, so maybe the number of speeds in the transmission isn't everything?

I've been reading a fair bit on dual clutch transmissions recently, especially the dry clutch types used by Ford and VW and they are pretty scary. Dry clutch DSGs use straight airflow to cool their clutches, so the bellhousings have vents for airflow. People living in rainy or dusty climates or drive through mildly deep puddles are getting all kinds of hilarious problems - water changes the friction coefficient of the clutches, but the clutches are controlled only by electronics, unlike the older 6 speed wet clutch types that use hydraulic pressure in tandem, so the clutches pretty much destroy themselves, and water getting into the bellhousing causes rust in all kinds of neat places, like the face of the flywheel. The whole DSG-in-passenger-cars idea was a VW/Piech ego play because Toyota/AIsin supplied almost all of VAG's transverse automatic transmissions and Piech just wanted to be independent.

Companies like Toyota/Aisin and Mazda that make their own transmissions pretty much looked at VW's DSGs, laughed their asses off and said HAHA HOW ABOUT NOPE. Ford is almost certainly going back to a regular 6AT in the next Ford Focus because the current DCT is un-fixable and basically can't match the efficiency of a good TC transmission like the Mazda3s anyway. The best part is that dry clutch DSGs are actually much cheaper to build than conventional autos, especially if you care about intellectual property rights which are mostly controlled by companies like Aisin and ZF, so all the Chinese cheap car makers use DSGs now. GM is putting DSGs into their new Cruze and Buicks in the Chinese market and all the reviews are saying that the GM DSGs are worse than dogshit.

I can't wait until VW brings the 7 speed dsg over to North America.
Audi has had a 7 speed DSG for the S4, RS4 (Europe only), S6, and S7 with longitudinal engines for several years. The TTS with its transverse engine has been using a 6 speed DSG but switched over to a 7 speed for the 3rd generation that was just released.

The RS6, RS7, and S8 all use the ZF 8 speed because Audi says the DSG can't handle the torque of their engines.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Can they run tubes/shrouds over the open vents and passively or actively force air over the clutch? Packaging might be tough.

it's "active" right now because the spinning clutch acts to flow air. They've added shrouds and dust covers and whatnot and are trying to optimize the airflow so that dust gets blown out as much as possible.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BloodBag posted:

That 6 speed DCT in the focus I think is the main reason those cars got hit with the depreciation stick so hard. $24K out the door, $12K trade in three years later. With all the recalls. Once they fixed the seal letting transmission fluid leak onto the clutch surfaces it was a decent driving car. Still, I dunno who let that car out to the public with how it drove initially. I basically felt like I pre-ordered a car from Ubisoft at that point and got to beta test it for full retail.

50% depreciation at 3 years is not far from the average for most cars

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

toyota co new styling iinspiration: anime hair

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

all this hubbabloo about the 2017 GT being rated at 630hp/539ft/lbs and 2890lbs in forza, and nobody seems to mention the 2017 raptor is also there with only 450hp, 440ft/lbs, and weighing a porky 5700lbs, only 300lbs less than the old raptor and barely more powerful.

so if they have super secret specs from ford, the GT is going to be amazing, and the raptor could end up being a turd.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

Half the reason I want a truck is a real bumper.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

Is the black stripe on the C pillar a tiny hosed up window or just black plastic?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mange Mite posted:

Is the black stripe on the C pillar a tiny hosed up window or just black plastic?

It's plastic, you can see the seams.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Christ, it's so bad.

"We have these character lines, see, and...well....they're really short and random and don't go anywhere"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They're guidelines for sick flame/Tron paintjobs, duh.