Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I think most people see him as a 'good, not great' kind of guy that gets overrated because other wrestlers point to him as a guy that has great psychology, but ask people to point to his truly great matches and you get silence. Kinda like a better Raven I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Jake sure did, but I didn't have to watch those every week on Monday nights, so I've only had to watch his good matches. I'm sure if I only watched 5% of Randy Orton's matches I'd think he was good as well. Alas, that lucky fate has eluded me.

So instead I've watched him have the same exact boring match with every other boring wrestler in the WWE 10+ times. Admittedly, this is a problem with EVERYONE in WWE regardless of their talent, but Orton just seems monumentally boring in every way to me. Matches are boring, character is boring, promos are boring. He's the American El Generico, except you know, actually Generic and bad instead of good.

Don't watch Raw, hth

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Jake missed his calling as a tag wrestler. I thought his tag matches from the DVDVR Mid-South set, with Nord the Barbarian of all people, were way better than any of his singles matches.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Spermgod posted:

I think most people see him as a 'good, not great' kind of guy that gets overrated because other wrestlers point to him as a guy that has great psychology, but ask people to point to his truly great matches and you get silence. Kinda like a better Raven I guess.

I can point to at least one great Raven match though

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

I can point to at least one great Raven match though

It shouldn't count when DDP carries him and the child murderer.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's totally unfair. He murdered a grownup as well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Orton can be a next level performer at times. The problem is that when he's bored or disengaged with something it comes across all too easily. His last two matches with Shamus made this abundantly clear.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Jake had a really famous match with Steamboat I think.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Raven and Stevie vs. the Pitbulls was pretty great, and he had a remarkably good match in TNA vs 'Wildcat" Chris Harris.

It's beside the point anyway, Raven and Jake were character wrestlers more than anything else. What they did was less about moves and more about doing what worked for their character. Orton on the other hand, well occasionally he acts like a snake. As a heel, he was a second rate version of short hair and suits Chris Jericho, and as a face, he lives by his finisher.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 13, 2015

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

That Cena /Orton TLC match was pretty good.

It's just that no one gave a gently caress

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wouldn't even say Orton is bad in the ring, he has a pretty cool CAW moveset, filled with other peoples finishes. The problem is none of them matter. Only the RKO matters. He is the premier example of a finish so good that nothing else he does matters.

See Petey Williams for another example.

This also wouldn't be an issue if he had a good or interesting character, it never really mattered that post neck injury Austin, or early Undertaker, or Jake Roberts never had much of a move-set, a killer finish is great but it isn't enough.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2015

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Randy is very good at the WWE style. WWE style matches are boring without a hot feud or stakes. He's also had an obscene number of televised matches so he drifts into Kane/Big Show territory.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRafTer posted:

Raven/Saturn was the one saving grace of an otherwise all-time bad PPV :colbert:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Raven is cool as hell.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Both Raven and Jake have said that part of the reason why they worked the way they did was because back in the day, a good workrate guy often got stuck putting more limited workers over and making them look good, and neither of them wanted to be trapped in that spot.

Anyway, this is all straying from my original thought, which was wondering how audiences would take to today's generally more athletic workers using Jake's ideas about ring psychology. Part of Jake's limitations came from him not being a natural athlete by any stretch of the imagination (which goes for Raven, too).

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, sure thing Raven and Jake. You tried to be limited on purpose. Absolutely.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fsmhunk posted:

Yeah, sure thing Raven and Jake. You tried to be limited on purpose. Absolutely.

I mean, Raven had WCW crowds mega hot in 97 just by sitting in the front row and occasionally hitting someone with a DDT.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Fsmhunk posted:

Drugs and laziness were also big factors in how they worked too, but there is a certain logic to developing a gimmicky brawling style and focusing more on character stuff so you don't get stuck putting other guys over forever. Why be George South when you could be Dusty?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Orton has the best powerslam in the history of wrestling. I could watch him do that move all day,

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

He's very crisp when he's motivated, it's just that he's rarely allowed to play a character that that crispness works with.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

The orton daniel bryan matches from a few years ago were amazing and a good reason to watch raw.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

In Jake's case he's from a different era so you can't judge him that way.

Old school wrestling would be considered the shits in today's climate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
WWF of that era in particular. They did have some absolutely great angles in those years, though.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
There's plenty of old school guys that worked a pared-down, 'limited' brawling style that produced far better results than Raven and Jake. Lawler and Terry Funk being the two most prominent examples.

Good wrestling is good wrestling no matter the era.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 13, 2015

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Alain Post posted:

WWF of that era in particular. They did have some absolutely great angles in those years, though.

This is why Jake is remembered so well, his angles were always some of the best TV, the promos building up a match were great, and if he won you got to see the finish that left people dead (at the time).

As long as the meat of the match looked real for that time it didn't matter what it was because the rest of the package was there and was great.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

RBX posted:

Old school wrestling would be considered the shits in today's climate.

This is bullshit unless you're one of the people who counts how many moves are done in each match or judge it like it's a gymnastics competition and not a wrestling match. There are a ton of great matches on NWAClassics.com that still hold up today.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jake Roberts and Raven rule what are you even talking about.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I am a smark. The greatest wrestlers in the world are the Young Bucks. Jake Roberts is boring because he can't even do a flip.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Raven is ok

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

goc posted:

This is bullshit unless you're one of the people who counts how many moves are done in each match or judge it like it's a gymnastics competition and not a wrestling match. There are a ton of great matches on NWAClassics.com that still hold up today.

That exactly what I meant. A large number today wouldn't like it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I remember when Raven first came to WWF, a bunch of Raven fans were talking about how awesome the Evenflow DDT was (or whatever it was called pre-Raven Effect), and they got really loving mad when people said it just looked like a normal DDT except people didn't kick out of it.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am a smark. The greatest wrestlers in the world are the Young Bucks. Jake Roberts is boring because he can't even do a flip.

If Jake Roberts did a 450 springboard off the top rope before his DDT I'd be impressed

Actually I really want someone to start using this move as a transition and then have someone show it to Stone Cold

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shine posted:

I remember when Raven first came to WWF, a bunch of Raven fans were talking about how awesome the Evenflow DDT was (or whatever it was called pre-Raven Effect), and they got really loving mad when people said it just looked like a normal DDT except people didn't kick out of it.

It was awesome when he delivered it with a snap and flat-backed it, but then he got lazy/injured and started landing on his side.

Also, as far as good Jake matches are concerned, he worked well with Ronnie Garvin and Dick Slater; there are some Jake/Garvin matches on Youtube if you're curious.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Every fan who complains about about old school wrestling should be forced to watch a bunch of Billy Robinson matches, Clockwork Orange style.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Every fan who complains about about old school wrestling should be forced to watch a bunch of Billy Robinson matches, Clockwork Orange style.

Destroyer vs. Baba on loop

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Spermgod posted:

Destroyer vs. Baba on loop

Or Lawler matches from his peak Memphis run. Whoever said Lawler was the best of the limited brawler archetypes in the ring was right, and his matches are still tremendously entertaining.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm smarky as gently caress and those matches are still awesome. It just takes character work and some decent pacing.

It's like how a Kevin Owens resthold is usually 500x more interesting than Randy Orton resthold. (Sorry Randy, I'm going to keep using you as my boring example forever)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Orton is so weird, because everything he does is beautiful, he can keep a good pace, but it still doesn't matter because I have no idea who is going to be today. Legend killer, Snake, Angry psychopath who will kick your head in, whiny franchise player, goofy leaping splits baby-face, Orton lacks a consistent and interesting character, and without that, nothing really makes you want to watch him.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I will just say that Jake isn't bitter about the DDT being a transitional move these days, or it not being used much as a finish by anybody of note but him, because that just means that clearly he knows some secret that makes his DDT and his alone the deadliest. So in his opinion that makes his matches and his persona that much better because it's not the move that's a killer, it's the man.

EDIT: Also I think Raven is pretty good and has had some really good matches but for him it was usually a question of motivation (so anything he did on TV in WCW was, at best, half effort)

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Stop flooding this thread with Roberts-Orton chat.

Was there a new Pisscast this week? I'm suffering from withdrawals.

• Locked thread