Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Enourmo posted:

never forget, jet race fuel can't melt-

...oh

That whole argument is pretty retarded. Jet engines run at the point of near-melting, and normal steel would certainly melt at the temperatures in the burners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EightBit posted:

That whole argument is pretty retarded. Jet engines run at the point of near-melting, and normal steel would certainly melt at the temperatures in the burners.

on the one hand, fires in a building aren't being fed a stream of compressed air, so they burn slower and the temperature (not total thermal energy) would be lower

on the other hand, structural steel doesn't have to melt before it fails

on the tip of my dick, gently caress truthers to death (moon landing hoaxers too)

/derail

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

on the one hand, fires in a building aren't being fed a stream of compressed air, so they burn slower and the temperature (not total thermal energy) would be lower

on the other hand, structural steel doesn't have to melt before it fails

on the tip of my dick, gently caress truthers to death (moon landing hoaxers too)

/derail

Thank god you agree the landing was a hoax at least

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DICK posted:

Thank god you agree the landing was a hoax at least

can't land on what isn't there brah :ssh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can't land on the moon, you'd just sink into the cheese. Duh.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcpKNwVKoks

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thought she was actually riding a bike on her own at first and was waiting for the inevitable crash, scared to death for her haha.

Looks like a lot of fun :)

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Hell I'm a grown man and I want to do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does that bike have a motor of some kind on it, or is the corkscrew really steep enough to get enough speed to coast that far? :stare:

Closest I've gotten to it is driving it in video games and I can't imagine coasting that far.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

xzzy posted:

Does that bike have a motor of some kind on it, or is the corkscrew really steep enough to get enough speed to coast that far? :stare:

Closest I've gotten to it is driving it in video games and I can't imagine coasting that far.

It is steep.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

fyodor posted:

It is steep.

Top Gear 7x06 is the episode where Clarkson takes on Laguna Seca in an NSX. As part of the demonstration of what the corkscrew is, exactly, they show him trying to walk up it. It is steep.

https://youtu.be/olWCXfwTvhI

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 13, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think you can hit over 40mph coming down that on a road bike.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That girl has a bright future and a dad that is obviously killing that whole parenting thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

xzzy posted:

Steep plus bikes can coast for a loooooooong time given even a slight decline.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I photograph weddings on the weekend. Yesterday's getaway car was an all-original '61 DeVille sedan.

Holy poo poo I loved this car. So smooth going 80ish down the highway. Great sounding V8, and the whole thing just oozed class and history. Definitely wasn't perfect on the exterior, but in a way that made it even more special.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

I visited Finnish Railway Museum and there was this railway inspection car.

I believe it is a Cadillac.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Alright, which one of you was this!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

gileadexile posted:

Alright, which one of you was this!

:mediocre:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that a Comanche? It might actually be one of us.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nah, it's a Ranger.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nope, it's a Ranger :mediocre:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Supermodifieds are awesome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Supermodifieds are awesome.

What is happening here those cars don't look normal.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

They only turn left.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

What is happening here those cars don't look normal.

Like jamal said, they only turn left. Also, they aren't normal in terms of supermods, Oswego is the only place they run wingless, or on a weekly basis.

Here's the history of how the supers at Oswego developed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uastrgon7M

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

xzzy posted:

It's about 800 vertical feet from the top to the bottom of turn 10, the corkscrew is just the first part of the hill.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Vitamin J posted:

It's about 800 vertical feet from the top to the bottom of turn 10, the corkscrew is just the first part of the hill.

I'm pretty sure it's not that much.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

mazdaraceway.com posted:

The Corkscrew is a one-of-a-kind turn in motorsports. Here’s what makes the hard-left, hard-right combination so spectacular:

At the apex to Turn 8 (the lefthander and entry to The Corkscrew), the elevation change is a 12 percent drop. By the time a race car reaches the apex of Turn 8A (the righthander), the elevation is at its steepest – an 18 percent drop. The Corkscrew drops 59 feet between the entrance of Turn 8 to the exit of Turn 8A—the equivalent of a 5½ story drop—in only 450 feet of track length. From Turn 8 to Turn 9, the elevation falls 109 feet, or just over 10 stories.

From their site.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

jamal posted:

You can tell who's been to the track and who hasn't.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

murphle posted:

You can tell who's been to the track and who hasn't.

I'd love to ride Laguna, its semi local even, but 92db vs my turds 100+ and 95-96 with a silencer in it. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

I'd love to ride Laguna, its semi local even, but 92db vs my turds 100+ and 95-96 with a silencer in it. :(

Your dizzer punches out 100+ decibels? Jesus christ that must irritate your neighbours.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

jamal posted:

Yeah bad phone posting it's about 200 feet total, point was the hill doesn't stop after the corkscrew.

They race road bikes around it too sometimes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Your dizzer punches out 100+ decibels? Jesus christ that must irritate your neighbours.

It's not hard to hit the dB limit there. Just Google exhaust setups for that track.

Stupid loving NIMBY assholes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

iwentdoodie posted:

It's not hard to hit the dB limit there. Just Google exhaust setups for that track.

Stupid loving NIMBY assholes.

Yea they must love the fact that they can't shut the place down since it's a state park.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My local track has a 94dB limit... I actually like it because you don't get assholes blowing your eardrums out all day.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

photo doesn't even begin to justify the colour of this car

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Normally we work on rusty Camrys and such.

TIRE PRESSURE CHECK! Placard says 49 PSI! WHAT? This car only had 5000 miles on it. And yes - W12.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is that the 4x4 version? Arch gap is massive.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

photo doesn't even begin to justify the colour of this car

Someone brought one of these to le mans a couple of years ago. It's some pretty wild paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

88h88 posted:

Is that the 4x4 version? Arch gap is massive.

They all have AWD, the car's air suspension was set high since it was being pulled into the garage to clear the floor drains and such.