Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ovenboy posted:

So, I've just ordered a New 3DSXL and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and it'll hopefully turn up in a couple of more days. I'm currently trying to figure out which other games I should get, and I'm a bit at a loss since the only hand-held games I've played are a couple of ones on the old DS and I haven't kept up with the market at all (I also don't know what game "media" I can trust to give me decent recommendations). So I figure I should try and get the goon opinion on what games are considered must haves for this system. I'm currently reading through skimming the first 30 and the last 30 pages of this thread to get a feel of things. So, what are the must haves of this, and the last, generation of DS?
I tend to like Zeldas, plattformers, wRPGs, puzzle games, and quirky Nintendo poo poo.

EDIT: I'm contemplating Majora's Mask, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Returns.

Those are real good choices, I haven't played DKC on 3DS but the Wii version is one of my favorite games. Be warned it is pretty tough. Mario 3D Land is another good platforner.

This isn't really a WRPG, but if you're looking for something to chill out with Fantasy Life is a lot of fun. It's basically a game with a cute aesthetic that's entirely built around the "grind up your skills" aspects of Elder Scrolls games or MMOs. Grind up your combat skills to reach resources, grind up your gathering skills by harvesting resources, grind up your crafting skills by making poo poo to sell and equip, repeat. It's hard to say exactly why it's fun but it just is. If you like WRPG's for the plot/choice stuff it doesn't really have anything substantial to offer on that front.

Monster Hunter 4U is great but it's a unique beast of a game, look up some reviews or posts on it to see if it's your kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Has anyone played Warioware Twisted on a Gamecube? It sounds like it could be amazing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You would have to move the physical GC and use the controller for selections

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gutcruncher posted:

Has anyone played Warioware Twisted on a Gamecube? It sounds like it could be amazing.

The game tells you straight up when you turn it on not to play on a GameCube, not that that would stop someone from trying.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

You would have to move the physical GC and use the controller for selections

Yeah it would be awesome.

edit: Oh someone did it. Less exciting than imagined.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghOBMOiA36I

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Warioware Twisted is amazing. Seriously considering getting an OG GBA in order to hold the sides. Feels slightly awkward on a SP.

Thanks for the heads up whoever mentioned it.

Far be it for me to recommend against a gba purchase, but I'd think it would be better on a ds lite with the gba slot. Backlit screen and all

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wasn't there some kind of bundle purchase point for the Streetpass games, or did those all have to be bought separately? Or was that a limited deal when the new ones launched?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fix posted:

Wasn't there some kind of bundle purchase point for the Streetpass games, or did those all have to be bought separately? Or was that a limited deal when the new ones launched?
If you hadn't bought any before, and you bought all of them in a bundle, they're discounted. I think that's what it was.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Far be it for me to recommend against a gba purchase, but I'd think it would be better on a ds lite with the gba slot. Backlit screen and all

Oh. Good idea. Better than a gba.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Whoa, Mike Rowe worked for QVC!!?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Overemotional Robot posted:

You need to watch every single QVC Mike Rowe clip on YouTube ASAP. The man is brilliant and his work on there is peak comedy. It's incredible.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Overemotional Robot posted:

He got fired and re-hired from QVC several times, most notably for trying to sell an icecube on a string and causing confusion at the QVC call centre when a bunch of people tried to order one.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So today I learned that the ridge of the bottom screen on my New 3ds XL is in such a way that it scratched a nice line of pock marks on the top screen. This is pretty upsetting because it turns out this a long standing issue with these consoles so why it's still happening is confusing. Every screen protector I used dicked up the 3D so it just seems super bullshit.

So I guess would putting a screen protector on now be able to cover the slight scratches enough to make them invistable? If not is there a place to purchase a replacement glass component for the New 3DS XL? The repair looks simple enough I can easily handle it on my own. Barring that I would have to give Nintendo 85 bucks to fix it, but I don't want to pay them if I don't have to.

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 13, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this my project mirai jam rn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1tHNKH7AAM

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

trhe best part is when she raps

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
sick art

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me or does equipping Dual Pistols just ruin everyone's day in LBX?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nahxela posted:

If you hadn't bought any before, and you bought all of them in a bundle, they're discounted. I think that's what it was.

Was. Ah.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fix posted:

Was. Ah.
It might still be like that? I'm not entirely sure since I don't have a way to check after having bought them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it just me or does equipping Dual Pistols just ruin everyone's day in LBX?

Dual Pistols are pretty strong early on in LBX, yeah. They can still be strong in the late story and postgame, but enemies get better at dodging volleys of fire and also at pressuring you and breaking your guard. I still run dual guns a lot in the postgame, but it's dual shotguns because they build meter faster than basically anything else can, and shotgun shots launch when you hit in close enough with them so they're a relatively safer form of offense.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wow, starting with number 4 the special worlds in Mario 3D Land really put SM into Super Mario.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Dual Pistols are pretty strong early on in LBX, yeah. They can still be strong in the late story and postgame, but enemies get better at dodging volleys of fire and also at pressuring you and breaking your guard. I still run dual guns a lot in the postgame, but it's dual shotguns because they build meter faster than basically anything else can, and shotgun shots launch when you hit in close enough with them so they're a relatively safer form of offense.

Is there a combined list of all those passcodes anywhere? Doesnt seem like there's an LBX thread.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nahxela posted:

It might still be like that? I'm not entirely sure since I don't have a way to check after having bought them.

Looks like it is! Instructions: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/611/~/how-to-purchase-the-streetpass-mii-plaza-game-bundles

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
There's no solid release date for Sonic 2 3D Classic right? I'm guessing, from looking at the wiki page, it looks like there's a good chance that it'll be this week....

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Okay, so I had just seen Project Mirai DX, and I'm swooning over it because it looks like an accessible and packed rhythm game, with lots of nice details. I love handheld rhythm games but I've somehow avoided snatching them up for the 3DS. Big fans of Rhythm Tengoku for the GBA, and Ouendan 2 for the DS.

I'm about to snatch up Mirai just out of impulse--I read that there are a lot of different music types, and the details of the music videos and the note streams are endearing, but I'm hearing some talks about not having as much content as other 3DS rhythm games?

So what would you guys recommend? Should I go get Mirai anyway? Or should I consider another one? For what it's worth, I'm not too much of a 'Vocaloid' or idol fan, but neither am I a Final Fantasy fan (which is why I didn't get Theatrhythm).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It's a rhythm game with nearly 50 songs, its "lacking content" because it doesn't have a Theatrythm sized songlist. It's well worth it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

IIRC Elite Beat Agents had like 15 songs and it owned

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Um Jammer Lammy had seven songs, and all of them were awesome and better than PaRappa the Rapper 2.

The only vocaloid games I've played are the first three for the PSP, and they rule. If Project Mirai is as good as those, go for it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is there a combined list of all those passcodes anywhere? Doesnt seem like there's an LBX thread.

Note that the codes are different for each region for some reason, but here's at least some of them: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/163470-lbx-little-battlers-experience/cheats

There's also a few password threads on GameFAQs because things aren't the most organized over there: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/163470-lbx-little-battlers-experience?search=password

As for an LBX thread here, I'd briefly considered making one, but there's only a few of us playing it and talking about it anyway so it didn't seem necessary.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Gutcruncher posted:

It's a rhythm game with nearly 50 songs, its "lacking content" because it doesn't have a Theatrythm sized songlist. It's well worth it.

Exactly this. Even if you don't get into dressup and hanging out with your Vocaloid bff, the rhythm side alone is well worth it.

Do it For Her

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Just got home with it.

Thanks for enabling me, folks :3:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kid Icarus Uprising was fun. After a while I stopped trying to do stages at higher difficulties though, it just got sort of tedious/hard and gosh there are just so many stages!! Fun game, certainly wasn't expecting it to have so much fun dialog/banter.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

IIRC Elite Beat Agents had like 15 songs and it owned

Gitaroo Man only had like ten and it's even better. Maybe rhythm games should just focus on having good music/mixes

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm about 20 minutes into Project Mirai DX and have already fallen in love. Getting a lot of Stepmania/Taiko No Tatsujin feels with how they mix up inputs on harder modes, and specifically how the buttons seem to go with the song.

As well, lots more customization than I'd imagine, in terms of your 'partner', as well as the sounds of inputs and other things.

Most of all it's very pretty and smooth, and very good use of the stereoscopic imaging.

If you like rhythm games and can deal with high doses of Japanese music culture vocaloids, this is a no brainer.

Edit: I struggled on what to put on that spot because I know this game isn't for everyone. Sorry.

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 13, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It's less japanese music culture and more "can you stand vocaloid voices?"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres tons of japanese music made that doesn't sound anything like vocaloids or jpop or whatevre lol

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
I live in the US and want a non-XL New 3DS. Is the Animal Crossing bundle gonna be my only shot? I don't particularly like the face plates (no offense, Isabelle likers), but I can put up with it/search for new face plates later if there's no plans at the moment for a US release of the regular N3DS otherwise.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

jfc Why is there a roadroller figurine in this dance game.

Why are there Jojo references in my vocaloid game?!

I'm so happy...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jack_squat posted:

I live in the US and want a non-XL New 3DS. Is the Animal Crossing bundle gonna be my only shot? I don't particularly like the face plates (no offense, Isabelle likers), but I can put up with it/search for new face plates later if there's no plans at the moment for a US release of the regular N3DS otherwise.

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

jack_squat posted:

Just do what i'm doing, order the bundle and find someplace online that sells faceplates you DO want. You could probably ebay the AC faceplates to a collector or something, I guess.