Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Duckman2008 posted:

I got this Watch band, and if you are looking for a cheap Milanese knock off it isn't bad. The clasp is hard to adjust, but once you get it you don't have to keep changing it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6WE5DM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This locks exatly like my Skagen. Nice, I like that clasp better actually, and I have the Milanese already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is there an app to display a compass (maybe an arrow and a heading)? Not a GPS display.

TIA

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

beefnoodle posted:

Is there an app to display a compass (maybe an arrow and a heading)? Not a GPS display.

TIA
You should check the folder where you stuck all the Apple default apps that you thought you'd never use.

edit: oops, this isn't the phone thread, sorry I have no idea but that would be a good idea for an app

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

LitigiousChimp posted:

You should check the folder where you stuck all the Apple default apps that you thought you'd never use.

edit: oops, this isn't the phone thread, sorry I have no idea but that would be a good idea for an app

Yeah, I was hoping that built-in app would have a watch version, but apparently not.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I imagine it'd be hard to have a compass app on the watch cause the sensors are in the phone and there's no reliable way to figure the watch direction relative to the phone.

Unless there's a hidden magnetometer or something.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Buy a band with a compass in it.
:)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mulva posted:

I would be happy if they didn't announce anything for the watch but bands with matching gold and rose gold hardware. It's ridiculous that they were not available on day one, let alone six months down the road.

And I thought the regular sport bands were overpriced!

Band chat: does anyone have a recommended NATO-strap style third party band?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Space Racist posted:

Well if you're buying a 12k watch a $500-$1000 band is not exactly breaking the bank. In answer to your second question I've heard good things about the DaLuca NATO bands.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Space Racist posted:

Isn't the problem with one-piece NATO straps that they cover the sensors? I saw a couple of two piece NATO straps on Amazon, one of which is sitting in an open tab waiting to be bought: http://www.amazon.com/DaLuca-Piece-Ballistic-Nylon-Watch/dp/B00KZDCEJW142

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Croc Monster posted:

Isn't the problem with one-piece NATO straps that they cover the sensors? I saw a couple of two piece NATO straps on Amazon, one of which is sitting in an open tab waiting to be bought: http://www.amazon.com/DaLuca-Piece-Ballistic-Nylon-Watch/dp/B00KZDCEJW142

That is the problem, yeah, so you can't just throw generic straps on there with lug adapters. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this one though: http://www.clockworksynergy.com/shop/premium-nylon/premium-nylon-2-piece-black-silver-watch-band-for-apple-watch/

The only part I'm concerned about is how well you can fold back and tuck in the excess strap, since the metal hoops are so close to the buckle. On normal NATO straps there's a hoop much closer to the watch body.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So maybe I'm missing something here but what't the obsession with NATO straps in here.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Jose Oquendo posted:

So maybe I'm missing something here but what't the obsession with NATO straps in here.

1 They are cheap
2 They are way more comfortable than the sport band
3 They look nice

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

With regular watches they are nice because they are cheap and can be easily swapped in and out depending on how you're feeling/whatever else you're wearing. They're nice and casual and look good on certain types of watches. That said, since you can't use actual NATO bands with an Apple watch, most of that goes away.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
The watchOS 2 GM seed is out now, and I updated to it.

There are still weird animation issues from time to time on some of the watch faces for me (could be a byproduct of running the betas? :shrug:) but it seems far more stable. The last two have actually been okay, but I have not had a crash yet on this one... in the hour or so I've had it :v:.

I can't speak for the new watchOS Apps apart from the ones I've made, but they still seem to work as well as they have before... for what that's worth. The new watch face stuff is still nice, time travel mode works and is useful. IMO, it's a good update. From what looked really scary compared to how the iOS beta was going, they turned it around.

Still not worth getting an Apple Watch if you were on the fence and were waiting for this update to magically change things, but for us who have it, it's good.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Yay there is now an orange sport band.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You're able to remove the beta profiles once you've got the GM installed, right?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
New colors for faces.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02GY8gBYGx6Uyf

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Drastic Actions posted:

Still not worth getting an Apple Watch if you were on the fence and were waiting for this update to magically change things, but for us who have it, it's good.

How are things in general, in terms of being more responsive, etc? I bought one, but took it back after a week pending better news from OS 2.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Still no decent green. :sigh:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kitten smoothie posted:

How are things in general, in terms of being more responsive, etc? I bought one, but took it back after a week pending better news from OS 2.

Old WatchKit apps load faster, which is not saying much because they were so painful to use before. Can't speak for the new SDK apps until they hit the store, but for the ones I've compiled and put on my watch they are better than the old ones (In that they are more capable of doing things and are faster because their running on the watch itself), but not exactly a game changer.

The UI is fluid. Going into and out of the app screen is faster and more consistent than before. Changing watch faces and adding items is still a bit weird sometimes for me though; it can have weird animation slowdowns. But again, it could be because I was on the betas and need to hard reset. Don't know.

I would say this; Find someone who has it installed on their watch and check it out for yourself. If the only reason you didn't like the Apple Watch was because it was not responsive, then it might be better now for you. I would argue that there are other reasons not to get one (Bulky, not the best looking, expensive for what it does) but that's just me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you have the gold master for iOS installed, do you get the watchOS gold master automatically or do you have to specifically install it?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Zwille posted:

If you have the gold master for iOS installed, do you get the watchOS gold master automatically or do you have to specifically install it?

You need the beta certificate installed on the watch. If you don't have it, you'll get it whenever Apple pushes it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Drastic Actions posted:

I would say this; Find someone who has it installed on their watch and check it out for yourself. If the only reason you didn't like the Apple Watch was because it was not responsive, then it might be better now for you. I would argue that there are other reasons not to get one (Bulky, not the best looking, expensive for what it does) but that's just me.

I actually really dug the 38mm model and it seemed like the least offensive looking smartwatch out there.

My main gripe was that Glances were anything but, and the old school watchkit apps were pretty crappy in terms of responsiveness because it had to pipe it all from the phone.

I'll see how it goes when it WatchOS 2.0 gets further out into the wild, I guess. It may just be worth sitting on it until the next revision.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The new animated emojis are amazing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I do like using my own photos for the watch "face". :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

The new animated emojis are amazing.
:fry: two handed emojis. Actual fist bumps (instead of just...a fist) are a game changer.

And spending some time with it last night and today, OS 2 doesn't seem like a huge deal, it's an improvement...but it's just an improvement. I'm curious how glances will be with native support, but I don't know how much changes there as far as what's possible. Right now third party wise I just use them as launchers for Fantastical and Clear, and third party complications would work better for that (and simple data display) to the point that I wouldn't need the glances unless they have actual functionality to them (like the Music one).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Because a bunch of SKUs are changing with the new colours of watch, there's a lot of EOL pricing at the Apple Stores.

Edit: Internal only, never mind.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 11, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Where do you find that?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Endless Mike posted:

Where do you find that?

Nevermind, for staff only.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Any thoughts on the 38mm being too small and/or just right? Someone at work is looking to get rid of theirs for cheap and I've been intrigued enough to go for it. I just don't want it to be too dainty on my wrist or for it to be unusable (but it is an Apple Watch so I guess it's pretty unusable anyway amirite :v:)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I bought one but found it way too small and returned it. The 42mm is a great medium size.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

ShoogaSlim posted:

Any thoughts on the 38mm being too small and/or just right? Someone at work is looking to get rid of theirs for cheap and I've been intrigued enough to go for it. I just don't want it to be too dainty on my wrist or for it to be unusable (but it is an Apple Watch so I guess it's pretty unusable anyway amirite :v:)

I think it's a fine size, but I also have quite small wrists.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there really any reason to have the passcode on this drat thing?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Is there really any reason to have the passcode on this drat thing?

You need it if you want to use Apple Pay.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

You need it if you want to use Apple Pay.

Oh right I forgot about that. My CU doesn't support it yet so I've never used it. Maybe one day I'll get to try that out.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you're a smaller framed dude or just have smaller wrists in general, go for it.

bomboloni
Mar 31, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm really happy with mine.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I have the iOS 9gm, is there any way to make the watch os2 happen?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Went to red river gorge on Friday and cracked the watch face when climbing. That was dumb. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

gypsyshred posted:

I have the iOS 9gm, is there any way to make the watch os2 happen?

Drastic Actions posted:

You need the beta certificate installed on the watch. If you don't have it, you'll get it whenever Apple pushes it.

• Locked thread