Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

Matrix sucks at sprite design. The perspective is horrible, the colors flat with no shading, and their characters only have two expressions depending on gender.

I understand the need to redo sprites to better support various phone and tablet resolutions, but Matrix's sprites are just so ugly and lifeless.

I hate that loving pigeon breast sorta look. It's less noticable on the older sprites, but they have some attempts at depth to make up for it. Even adding an extra leg in their battle screens would make it look a lot less flat.
vs

That's a good point about the shading too. It's on their FF:Dimensions sprites as well - on that topic, I think of the time and effort Square put into making all the characters' jobs in FFV visually distinct from each other...and FF:D is just "male sprite/female sprite, stick on character hair, recolour".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vil posted:

Which is odd, because they were able to do a great job touching up the enemy sprites without changing their art style.

What's even sadder is they didn't even bother doing that for the FF6 port. They just threw a filter over the old sprites and called it a day.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

I hate that loving pigeon breast sorta look. It's less noticable on the older sprites, but they have some attempts at depth to make up for it. Even adding an extra leg in their battle screens would make it look a lot less flat.
vs

That's a good point about the shading too. It's on their FF:Dimensions sprites as well - on that topic, I think of the time and effort Square put into making all the characters' jobs in FFV visually distinct from each other...and FF:D is just "male sprite/female sprite, stick on character hair, recolour".

That's because most of them are just edits of FFD sprites.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
would these remakes be better if they used Theaterhythm sprites instead?

i argue yes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite part is how all the dudes have angry eyebrows.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dis astranagant posted:

That's because most of them are just edits of FFD sprites.

I figured as much - though I forgot which game they were edits from, first.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 11, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
For all these crappily-remade games they're releasing on Steam, I'm really surprised and really bummed that they haven't released FFD on it yet. It's the one game I actually want to play on the PC. I bought it for the phone but I can't stand the controls.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Golden Goat posted:

No idea why they decided that redone look was a good idea. Everything looks weirdly smoothed out.

It's literally just the version for cell phones and tablets being ported to PC.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pesky Splinter posted:

vs

Eeesh those look awful. That's what the new steam version was going to look like? Have the PSone version but was holding off on playing it because I was hoping it was going to get the anniversary treatment like FF1 or 2.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Excels posted:

would these remakes be better if they used Theaterhythm sprites instead?

To be fair, practically anything would be better than the FF5 mobile character art. Even that Tidus head from the last few pages.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Matrix sucks at sprite design. The perspective is horrible, the colors flat with no shading, and their characters only have two expressions depending on gender.

I understand the need to redo sprites to better support various phone and tablet resolutions, but Matrix's sprites are just so ugly and lifeless.

...except you don't have to redo sprites for phone and tablet resolutions. FFRK has SNES-era sprites for their characters and even SE's horrific All the Bravest game did too. Matrix could've probably asked SE for the sprites from ATB and used those.

I mean look at this poo poo:

Pesky Splinter posted:

vs

And then look at FFRK's sprites:

People actually look different. While some of the icons can be a hot mess (Kihmari doesn't work well in 16 bit) the characters actually look different and they look good. The Matrix remakes are simply bad design. They could've run the SNES sprites through a renderer like hq4x and it would've looked better than the FFD :effort: edits they do.

The downside to people buying the remakes (multiple times) is that there's no reason to stop making them. Matrix is probably cheap to use and if people will buy cheap and gaudy then why waste money on a more expensive option that might look good? SE's (wisely) using that option on F2P games like FFRK and Brave Exvius because they'll make more money anyways.

Speaking of which, Brave Exvius's sprite work looks really good (though it's not intended to be a SNES-style layout):
http://news.shouyou.com/news/11272014/105913887.shtml

Hopefully it comes out in the US and Gumi's learned from past mistakes with Brave Frontier.

</:spergin:>

e: Also FFRK gets bonus points because you could run a bad-guy squad of Sephiroth/Golbez/Kefka/Exdeath/Reno if you wanted to.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 12, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Speaking of which, Brave Exvius's sprite work looks really good (though it's not intended to be a SNES-style layout):
http://news.shouyou.com/news/11272014/105913887.shtml

drat, those sprites do look good. Love that Vivi one in particular.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The FFV phone version is extremely ugly, and not just in the sprites. Wish they could have brought a better version to Steam.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

In Training posted:

The FFV phone version is extremely ugly, and not just in the sprites. Wish they could have brought a better version to Steam.

they should have just brought over the gba version, like that was already the better version

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Porting the GBA version would have required a lot more effort, also possibly legal issues with Nintendo.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Porting the GBA version would have required a lot more effort, also possibly legal issues with Nintendo.

I'm mixing up my FF threads, thought I already posted this here..

Choco1980 posted:
So, found out tonight FF5 will be coming to steam this month. The PC port looks like a straight conversion of the...mobile version? Thoughts?

My thoughts: the excellent GBA version will emulate on everything you own.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How's the music in the IOS version?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Nihilarian posted:

How's the music in the IOS version?

I'm pretty sure it's the SNES original OST, just like FF6's iOS port.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I wouldn't think so. Mega Man games from the NES were able to be emulated for the PS2 and Xbox versions of the Anniversary collection, while the recent Legacy collection are proper ports which just use the ROMs to fetch assets from.

Not to mention the PS1 versions of FFIV-VI and Chrono Trigger, which I think ran on SNES emulators.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Where is my FFIX remake

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I really didn't like using Kain in Dissidia, but Tifa is awesome. Kain's dumb normal attack kept going over my enemy's head. He got better once I got that diving hp attack but was still annoying to use.

Tifa has a lot of good options for short and medium range, and also kicking people in the face is really satisfying.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If I'm remembering correctly, the funniest part about the mobile remakes is that the FFD sprites were based on the FF6 sprites in some fashion. So once you get to FF6 Mobile you're playing a game with sprites that are edits of edits of the originals.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-xTICHfZFo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I wouldn't think so. Mega Man games from the NES were able to be emulated for the PS2 and Xbox versions of the Anniversary collection, while the recent Legacy collection are proper ports which just use the ROMs to fetch assets from.

Not to mention the PS1 versions of FFIV-VI and Chrono Trigger, which I think ran on SNES emulators.

"Legal issues" doesn't mean it would be impossible, just that it would be harder and cost more. Easier to just port the stuff that already runs on a PC-like device.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I must have missed something but I don't see what the differences are in terms of weapons and armor in Final Fantasy X. Is it just abilities? There's no difference in terms of attack or defense power?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just abilities. Think of them less as weapons and armors and more as passive ability slots.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I really didn't like using Kain in Dissidia, but Tifa is awesome. Kain's dumb normal attack kept going over my enemy's head. He got better once I got that diving hp attack but was still annoying to use.

Tifa has a lot of good options for short and medium range, and also kicking people in the face is really satisfying.

lol I had the exact opposite experience. I like using Kain but I don't like using Tifa, because she feels like a worse Jecht/Prishe.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i am still not entirely sure how prishe works

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pesky Splinter posted:

vs

I'm just glad that I got the japanese versions of 4-6 when they were dirt cheap. All the Uncensored sprites and the games weregoing for like a dollar each.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gologle posted:

lol I had the exact opposite experience. I like using Kain but I don't like using Tifa, because she feels like a worse Jecht/Prishe.

I could never get on with Kain - it was like a weird hybrid between Cecil and Zidane.

Excels posted:

i am still not entirely sure how prishe works

IIRC, there's some flexability to customise what attacks she can chain together as a follow-up to her brave attack. Or something like that. It's been a while. She's still inferior to :human being: Ditto for Tifa, who is :human being: but with a slightly cumbersome dodge.
Vaan's weapon switch gimmick was weird - I could never tell if it was working correctly.

The Taint Reaper posted:

All the Uncensored sprites

That reminds me, I just found out they've covered up the naked anime man from that new mobile game

RIP apron armour thing

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Vaan's EX ability (he can cancel his weapons manually by pressing R+O) is the most useless of all the EX abilities, even if you don't know how to play him. Yet he's one of the best builders of EX meter. I basically set him up purely for the EX...break? Yeah, I think that's what it's called. It's been a while since I played Duodecim or the first Dissidia (which didn't even have that as an option).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Who were the actual people who wrote the story and characters for FF IX? Looking at the credits doesn't give me specifically who worked on those areas.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it would be under scenario if it's in the credits. I think it's rarely something that can just be attributed to one single person though

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

theblackw0lf posted:

Who were the actual people who wrote the story and characters for FF IX? Looking at the credits doesn't give me specifically who worked on those areas.

In interviews about the game's development, most of the credit for writing went to Hironobu Sakaguchi. It was very much a passion project for him. Hiroyuki Ito also worked with him in developing the story and characters.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sunning posted:

In interviews about the game's development, most of the credit for writing went to Hironobu Sakaguchi. It was very much a passion project for him. Hiroyuki Ito also worked with him in developing the story and characters.

It was a passion project for Uematsu as well. He said he pushed himself harder than usual for IX, to the point where they had to release a second OST for the music they couldn't use

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Sunning posted:

Thanks, looks like that was his final project at square. Talk about going out on top.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

theblackw0lf posted:

You know funny story, they just stole the DBZ story so noone worked on the story.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Turns out that I know the person who was the voice of Paine from Final Fantasy X-2 (english version)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

theblackw0lf posted:

Turns out that I know the person who was the voice of Paine from Final Fantasy X-2 (english version)

Oh dear. Ask her for the dirt on her "Win A Skype Date with Gwendoline Yeo!" promotion. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Tell her I want to have sex with the digital models of her YRP friends Yuna and Rikku.