Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Mizzou's defense is good but everything else is breathtakingly bad. It's the same old poo poo every week. No improvement. I really do not get this team at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia still hasn't shown too much we didn't expect. The backfield is still absolutely fantastic and the defensive front seven looks like they could be one of the best in the country. I think they had somebody in Vandy's backfield every snap. Special teams finally looks mostly competent too, and Isaiah MacKenzie is the return man we've been looking for since Boykin and Brandon Smith left. If he gets a couple yards of space on a return it's over.

QB pay is still bad. Greyson Lambert is loving atrocious and while Bryce looks to be raw at best that's stlll an improvement. Yet Richt continues to refuse to play him. As good as Chubb and Michel are, all competent teams have to do is put nine in the box and we're done for.

Overall it was a weird week. Our lead never went below double digits, we had a whole bunch of sterling individual performances yet we were a pick six away from Vandy being down three with four minutes left.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 13, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

http://campusinsiders.com/videos/texas_daje_johnsons_electrifying_punt_return_vs_rice_2015_09_13_02_05_40

Daje Johnson did a cool thing.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

A&M gave up 2 long running plays to start the game and then crushed the opposing offense the rest of the first half while the offense styled on people and Kirk continued to be really good. Second half didn't really matter besides getting new players more experience, so all in all today was a success.

We're gonna end up losing to Arkansas now and it will suck.

Arkansas sucked, like everyone else not us

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yay Boise lost gently caress Boise

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yay Boise lost gently caress Boise

It was the one game I wanted Boise to win :(

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

tranime scholar posted:

Mizzou's defense is good but everything else is breathtakingly bad. It's the same old poo poo every week. No improvement. I really do not get this team at all.

I don't get this Drew Lock poo poo at all and somehow the receivers have no experience two years in a row

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
gently caress Bret Bielema. Toledo doesn't give a poo poo about how hard you think your schedule is.

gently caress Notre Dame.

gently caress the SEC.

gently caress Florida State.

gently caress BYU for beating Nebraska and using magic underwear to beat Boise. (I'm happy they won, just wanted it to look more decisive)

gently caress Alabama and especially gently caress Auburn.

gently caress the SEC.

gently caress ESPN and Kirk Herbstreit.

gently caress the entire Big Ten and gently caress Nebraska. It was good to see Nebraska own a scrub team but we don't know much more than we did last week except that we have a definite starting HB.

It was a good day of football, boys.

Edit: Long live Wheez - and gently caress Rutgers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I feel pretty good about Iowa! Obviously winning the rivalry game is always nice, and especially so this week with Tyler Sash passing. And while Iowa State is definitely not a very good team I think they're better than they were last year. They have some talent at receiver and the Juco infusion helped their line a bit (although some of that was Iowa have trouble counting up guys and figuring out who to block when ISU threw a non-traditional front at them). And really even though I was ready to throw up my hands and give up after Canzeri fumbled in the redzone Iowa beat them pretty soundly outside of one really bad quarter They completely shut ISU's offense down in the second half and found a little rhythm in their passing game that wasn't there before. Matt Vandenberg seems like he could be the new Inexplicably Great White Iowa Wide Receiver.

We did have a couple possibly significant injuries, which sucks. LeShaun Daniels is probably the best offensive player on the team and he missed the whole second half with an ankle injury after a really good first half. Canzeri is a capable enough backup and I love him out of the backfield but we don't have anyone who can reliably pound it up the middle 2-4 yards in short yardage outside of Daniels so it'd be nice to have him back for just that. And more significantly Drew Ott also missed the second half and had his arm in sling for what looks like a potentially serious wrist injury. We didn't really need him today but he's out best pass rusher and defensive lineman and we're going to miss him a lot if he misses significant time. Hopefully he's okay.

There were still some stupid things that made me upset. Running the clock down to one second and then running a fake field goal from like the 30 or whatever it was is completely baffling, and the return game still has a lot of kinks to work out (once again someone caught a kick that was clearly headed out of bounds leading to Iowa starting the ball at the loving 2), but overall I've been way less upset with the coaching and design of the offense this year than the last two. The "run game coordinator" bullshit seems like it actually may have helped, and I like that we're willing to mix in a lot of pulling and power/counter stuff to go along with the usual inside/outside zone. That combined with having real running backs instead of a fullback has really be a significant improvement. I still don't love the passing game but it works a lot better when it has a decent running game to play off of.

It's still way to soon to say whether or not the team is any good, but I feel a shitload better than I did before the season started. Hopefully they can keep things rolling against Pitt.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't get this Drew Lock poo poo at all and somehow the receivers have no experience two years in a row

Pinkel is ridiculously conservative, especially with QBs. He will not (significantly) play Lock unless he absolutely has to. The only reason he played Mauk in the first place was because Franklin was injured and it was either Mauk or Berkstresser (barf). And even then, if Pinkel had the chance to play Franklin he did, even if it was a terrible idea. Remember the 2014 Cotton Bowl?

As for the receivers, I got nothing. Even when Mauk actually makes a not completely terrible or retarded pass, the stonehanded receivers drop it. Our run game is nonexistent too. For a guy primarily known for his ability to find diamonds in the rough and turn them into NFL-calibur talent, I sure am not seeing a whole lot of loving development on the offense.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV football doesn't deserve to exist

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Exist one more week, UNLV!

Also holy loving poo poo has Bret Bielema gotten fat.

Woo Pig Sooie indeed

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

illcendiary posted:

Rice didn't win but at least we covered :shobon:

I also think they outplayed UT for large stretches of the game and it would have been closer outside of a few Rice gaffes
Yeah, even with Texas in the shitter and Rice in relatively good shape for C-USA play, we needed to play a much cleaner game than we did. Special teams and a couple big plays killed us.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
UCLA v BYU should be a pretty good game next week and will be a solid test for us. Hopefully Rosen shakes off the freshman jitters he had tonight (helps that we're at home next week) and the defense will continue playing great.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
looks like they'll take off Dalton Sneed's redshirt if Decker misses time which is good because gently caress watching Palandech qb another snap

it's not ideal but these are the cards Sanchez was dealt and he liked them enough to keep em

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Remember when everyone :lol:ed at the Big Ten last September? Look at the OOC slate from the SEC this weekend and consider:

Maybe... the SEC isn't really that good?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

He's one of those guys where you know your team has lovely play callers because they're always "trying to figure out how to get him the ball more often" as if, you know, just throwing it to him or handing it off to him is way, way out of the loving question. No, if we are trying to get Daje Johnson the ball, it's one jet sweep and one WR screen a game.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
PROTIP: Spending $90 on forums emoticons will not help your cursed team become less cursed.

Admins/mods/sysadmins/whomever, please delete :razorfront: :razorback: and :razorback2:, TIA.

:ughh:

It could be worse though. I could have spent all of that on tickets to the A&M game. What a disaster that will be. :newlol: :pipe:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
But the piggy parade is so cute

look at them go!

:razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront:

And now they're going the other way!

:razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bip Roberts posted:

But the piggy parade is so cute

look at them go!

:razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront: :razorback2::razorfront:

And now they're going the other way!

:razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback::razorback:

And now they're losing to a MAC team

And now they're losing to Louisiana-Monroe

And now they have to play the rest of the SEC, which isn't nearly as good as advertised but is still better than us :sadwave: :razorback:

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
i'm a tennessee fan because i hate myself

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
gently caress football

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Jazzimus Prime posted:

And now they have to play the rest of the SEC, which isn't nearly as good as advertised but is still better than us :sadwave: :razorback:

It's hard not to be intensely dejected after last night. They looked horrible and I can't imagine them winning. But when you look at the numbers, it becomes even more depressing because we really should have won the game despite how bad we looked. This was the game that exposed us but we would have been exposed sooner rather than later.

There were so many failures that were obvious that it's not really worth getting into. There are a few excuses, though, which at least explain some of the really questionable decisions. The most important is that Alex Collins was sick all week and in the ER so wasn't 100% and our back-up Kody Walker injured his thumb early on. That's why our QB ended up almost the leading rusher with just two scrambles and why we failed to convert in the red zone so many times. RB was a major concern for me because of the loss of Korliss Marshall, Juan Day, and Jonathan Williams. Last night we really only had a true freshman to rely on. It would be nice if that was the only problem but our secondary was atrocious and we did the same four man rush all game long without ever so much as hurrying the QB. Here are some stats which are depressing:

Arkansas had 30 first downs. Toledo had 15
Arkansas had 515 yards and Toledo had 318
Arkansas had the ball for 38 minutes and Toledo had 22
Brandon Allen was 32 for 53 for 412 yards

Everything cost us yesterday - no run game, penalties at inopportune times to call back touchdowns or stall drives, a blocked punt that set up a Toledo TD, an end zone interception, a missed field goal that forced a TD attempt in field goal range at the end, a wasted time out that cost us 40 seconds at the end, a defensive line without any pressure, an offensive line without run block capability, the list goes on and on.

I will say that I've been happy with Brandon Allen. He missed clutch throws which is totally in keeping with his MO but he was putting the ball where it should be and had a lot of drops or else his percentage would have been even better. I can see the team getting better but I'm not sure the amount they will improve will lead to winning any more than 1 or 2 games.

You should buy a crying :razorback:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PrinceRandom posted:

Kyle Allen is good :colbert:

Yeah but our O-Line and Offensive calling was still kinda bad.

Kyle Allen is legit gonna be the next Tannehill though.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
After watching Kentrell Brothers' INTs I looked him up on twitter. He shook the event staffs' hands after the first game and retweeted pictures of the graduate students' labor rally. :kimchi: Dude really is the best.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I woke up and everything still hurts :(

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Picked up a production gig yesterday and got to watch the whole Texas game from the sidelines. I had never been to a CFB game before. It was pretty fun. :)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Checking in with a raging hangover to say that football remains stupid and dumb. And I'm still not sure what ISU's offensive coaches did during halftime. I guess they had a pizza party instead of making adjustments or something.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Unbelievable rear end ripping performed by UF's head coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIqLPvXIXCA

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://gephardtdaily.com/local/breaking-news-university-of-utah-football-players-wounded-in-campus-shooting/
Two Utah football players have been wounded in a shooting. Twitter is saying that some gang members showed up at a party and started shooting. The two Utes are in stable condition and have not been identified yet. Also, most local media doesn't seem to be confirming that the two injured men are football players, so that might just be a twitter rumor?

also, what the gently caress, there are gangs in Salt Lake City?

Pakled fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 13, 2015

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Farking Bastage posted:

Unbelievable rear end ripping performed by UF's head coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIqLPvXIXCA

Cool Muschamp motivational technique, I hope he can match Coach Boom's sterling record at UF!

BTW those are literally the ugliest loving uniforms not only that I've seen but that humanity has imagined.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Whole lot of people out there living vicariously through McElwain by merit of what he said, how he said it, and who he said it to without any repercussions like getting your tubby rear end beat like a drum.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Football is our one true religion and Jerrod Heard(Blessed be his name) is our Prophet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Checking in with a raging hangover to say that football remains stupid and dumb. And I'm still not sure what ISU's offensive coaches did during halftime. I guess they had a pizza party instead of making adjustments or something.

I think it was mostly Iowa playing a lot better, especially up front. I'm not really sure what else the coaches could have done (they should have gone for that 4th and short but that's the only galling thing I can think of off the top of my head). They've always had the right plan to attack Iowa's defense and get mismatches, but they're still at a talent disadvantage and sometimes one team's players just play better. Our Dline completely shut down the running game and started regularly getting to the QB in a way they couldn't early on, and the secondary and especially linebackers did a much better job on coverage. There's only so much coaches can do, at some point the players have to actually, ya know, make plays

On another subject I am biased and dumb here probably but I think it'd be premature for Arkansas fans to just give up. I only watched bits and pieces of that game because it overlapped with El Assico but based on what I saw and the stat sheet it seems like they dominated it and just couldn't get the ball in the end zone for some reason. That's usually a fluke. And it's not like the SEC looks so dominant that they won't have a chance to win conference games.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 13, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Transcript of what Mac said to Kelvin Taylor:

quote:

look at me! Don't look down! Fuckin' be a man! You let this fuckin' team down! That's fuckin' bullshit! And you think it's fuckin' okay! Fuckin' lovely!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I will say that I've been happy with Brandon Allen. He missed clutch throws which is totally in keeping with his MO but he was putting the ball where it should be and had a lot of drops or else his percentage would have been even better.

This is exactly why I'm done with him tbh. What's the use in having a QB that can't throw for a touchdown? I have never seen a guy throw for over 400 yards where I didn't feel comfortable when he dropped back to pass.

I don't care that he can throw a bubble screen that the WR turns into a big run or that he can hit a guy in the middle of a very soft zone. Every QB on our roster can do that. He can't hit anyone in coverage and he doesn't know how to throw into the endzone. On the play before the INT he threw in the endzone he missed his guy in the back of it, he missed guys on that last drive, he just misses guys in the end zone and it has been a problem his whole career with us. He can't throw against a short field.

Rafe or Austin are likely the future, we might as well start trotting them out there if we are going to lose games we should win. They can't be any more disappointing than BA because they won't be starting for their third year.

Man, I knew hoping for much more than 7 win and being competitive in the losses was going to be a tough ask this year but I didn't expect things to be this bad.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 13, 2015

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MourningView posted:

I feel pretty good about Iowa!

Me too. They aren't overwhelmingly good but they're very solid. Good enough, with their schedule, to win the West and make a really good bowl game if things fall into place.

Ott is so important to the DL. I really hope he isn't out long. Beathard missed some throws but he played extremely well under pressure. I'm impressed with that kid. I think he could be REALLY good by seasons end.

It's like Kirk went from conservative to "well gently caress it lets try this" on that fake fg. That was insane. Pretty dumb.

Our offensive line wasn't great on pass protection in the first half but got much better in the second as they seemed to wear down the ISU DL. Let's hope they improve there before Big Ten play. Run blocking seemed really good and I wasn't sure why they abandoned the run for awhile in the first half.

Overall impressive win in a tough environment.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

I think it was mostly Iowa playing a lot better, especially up front. I'm not really sure what else the coaches could have done (they should have gone for that 4th and short but that's the only galling thing I can think of off the top of my head). They've always had the right plan to attack Iowa's defense and get mismatches, but they're still at a talent disadvantage and sometimes one team's players just play better. Our Dline completely shut down the running game and started regularly getting to the QB in a way they couldn't early on, and the secondary and especially linebackers did a much better job on coverage. There's only so much coaches can do, at some point the players have to actually, ya know, make plays.

I don't think there was much of a talent difference, if you did a draft with players from both teams you'd end up with about half Iowa and half ISU as starters. And ISU was ahead going in to halftime and looked pretty decent, though not dominant. Then in the second half Iowa made adjustments on defense and ISU didn't on offense, resulting in 66 total yards in the entire second half. Our defense held pretty well despite giving up those big scrambles to Beatherd and being hung out to dry constantly by the offense. It was still tied with just a few minutes left. ISU's offense just totally died after halftime, we got outcoached.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Dalvin Cook won't save us forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ZenVulgarity posted:

Dalvin Cook won't save us forever

Shut up, yes he will. Hopefully. :pray: