Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I just found out about the PC port and came to check this thread, and I see that I'm not the only one excited about this bit of news.
Add me to the list of goons that can't wait for this to come out on January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Sylphosaurus posted:

Pretty much the entire southwest part of Gransys consists of just a landmass with enemies. I recall hearing that this game was pretty rushed by the end which I guess would explain the general emptiness of the world.

Yeah, I've heard that too, and it makes a lot of sense. Nailing down the gameplay would take precedence. I can't argue with that.

I guess I can count on modders to populate Gransys with tits and dicks, at least.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Picayune posted:

Yeah, I've heard that too, and it makes a lot of sense. Nailing down the gameplay would take precedence. I can't argue with that.

I guess I can count on modders to populate Gransys with tits and dicks, at least.
It's still a great game and there's plenty of stuff to do anyway and with the Dark Arisen content you have an entire dungeon crawl to fight your way through. Hell, as I've mentioned earlier I adore this game. The mixture of open world RPG and the combat system of Devil May Cry makes for a great combination.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I doubt that we will get TES-like huge mod projects with completely new areas and monsters and stuff. That would be too good to be true. However, a simple mod to make monsters stronger in NG+ would be amazing already. Everfall and BBI are both convoluted and dungeon-y. Allow me to play the main campaign again without being so grossly overlevelled.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sylphosaurus posted:

The mixture of open world RPG and the combat system of Devil May Cry makes for a great combination.

This is what Scalebound looks like from what little gameplay we've seen, and it's directed by Hideki Kamiya to boot :v: Exciting, though it's xbone exclusive.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Count Uvula posted:

This is what Scalebound looks like from what little gameplay we've seen, and it's directed by Hideki Kamiya to boot :v: Exciting, though it's xbone exclusive.

That usually means "ported to PC within 1-3 years". So depending on how good it is, Dragon's Dogma can hold us off until Scalebound finds its way to steam as well.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

They really don't look like similar games at all

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

They really don't look like similar games at all

Open-world RPG with Devil May Cry gameplay is pretty much an exact description of Scalebound, though? It might not be similar to Dragon's Dogma outside of both of them having similar influences, but they have that much in common.

Anyway, I dunno how much basic hacked together modding will do for DD given most of the basic stuff (like making your character look like NPCs or whatever) is already in the game, but I guess we'll at least be able to cheat the Ur-Dragon equipment in to our inventories now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

Open-world RPG with Devil May Cry gameplay is pretty much an exact description of Scalebound, though? It might not be similar to Dragon's Dogma outside of both of them having similar influences, but they have that much in common.

Anyway, I dunno how much basic hacked together modding will do for DD given most of the basic stuff (like making your character look like NPCs or whatever) is already in the game, but I guess we'll at least be able to cheat the Ur-Dragon equipment in to our inventories now.
vague description and actual gameplay are very different things. they showed footage of scalebound where you order a dragon around and it didn't seem like dragons dogma at all. i get that you'd like it to be, but the evidence isn't there

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

vague description and actual gameplay are very different things. they showed footage of scalebound where you order a dragon around and it didn't seem like dragons dogma at all. i get that you'd like it to be, but the evidence isn't there

I thought/hoped the same thing about Deep Down. I haven't really heard anything about it after the trailer, though.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

Scalebound looks boring as hell. Which is surprising since it is made by a studio that usually makes games that are too fast-paced and arcade-like for my tastes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Scalebound is also like a year and a half off from the thing we saw at Gamescom. What we saw was just a slightly more polished prototype proof of concept build.

If it still looks that Sparse next year in demos than sure. But Kamiya rarely disappoints

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Dragon's Dogma also had lots of character customization, wheras it looks like in Scaledbound you play the dude in the trailers, even when playing co-op with other players.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Dexo posted:

Scalebound is also like a year and a half off from the thing we saw at Gamescom. What we saw was just a slightly more polished prototype proof of concept build.

If it still looks that Sparse next year in demos than sure. But Kamiya rarely disappoints

Scalebound will be good if:
  • It releases.
  • Has an engaging and interesting world to explore.
  • Has a deep weapon move/combat system.
  • Doesn't have a combo points system where score is determined by points earned in a combo chain.
  • and actually releases on a platform that people own, and not some janky low end vcr with stuttering issues and blurry resolution.

So far it has a lot going against it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm almost positive Scalebound isn't out yet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Scalebound is Xbone exclusive anyways, so it doesn't matter.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I hope the PC version has increased draw distance, so that when I sprint through Gran Soren, I don't accidentally bump someone everyone who literally spawns right in front of me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure that kind of thing has more to do with how quickly the game loads stuff than draw distance (for example you can see some monsters from much further away), which means on a PC with a faster processor it would definitely load enemies in long before they appear in your face. Unless it's really badly optimized or something.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Came for the PC port

Vargs posted:

Warrior would be a lovely, lame class even with 6 abilities. I struggle to find 3 that I like when I'm forced to max it out for the crazy good augments. Mostly just use light and jump attacks. Adding another 3 skills that I never use wouldn't make it any better. By far my least favorite vocation.

Stayed to fight you! Seriously, though. Warriors are poo poo, but I can't stand to play any other classes. Warriors scratch my risk/reward itch without simply being glass canons. They do have some serious weaknesses that no other classes have to deal with, other than Fighter. They're so much fun to play, though. I find myself simply spamming the same poo poo with every other class, but Warrior, even if it isn't by much, at least has the illusion of some dynamic skill based gameplay.

If nothing else comes out of the PC modding, 6 warrior skill slots is the only one I am really hoping for. They don't "need" it, and it won't really change their performance. Nothing they have will really address their range issues, and so many of their skills cover roughly the same ground being nothing more than another "fun" way to do the same thing (knock something over). But really, being able to bring Indomitable Lunge, WhirlWind Slash, and Corona Slash, while still having Arc and Exodus, and one skill slot to spare? :vince:

Those screens posted earlier are fantastic. Losing that post process blurring kinda changes the visual style, but drat is it nice to actually see some detail.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 16, 2015

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
you're just poo poo with other classes, mixing it up is super easy for all of the ones i played (mystic knight, assassin, strider, even sorceror to a point)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

catching a coackatrice with the warrior's big charge attack and killing it in one hit is the best feeling in the world

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

warrior in bitterblack is kinda painful but mostly because the jump attack is just so good that it's way more fun to just jump around swinging
also y'know, all the flying enemies but there's always throwable items for that

the fresh game challenge runs of BBI are super cool 'cuz of that kinda workaround

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

you're just poo poo with other classes, mixing it up is super easy for all of the ones i played (mystic knight, assassin, strider, even sorceror to a point)

Has nothing to do with performance and has much more to do with

lets hang out posted:

catching a coackatrice with the warrior's big charge attack and killing it in one hit is the best feeling in the world

It's all well and good to try different poo poo, but Warrior personally yields a greater sense of satisfaction when you land that big damage. None of the other classes compared. Casters came sort of close, and Ranger wasn't too bad, but inevitably I'd go back to my warrior and immediately have much more fun.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I got lucky and was gifted a lvl3 weapon that purified into the Devil's Nail. Having the game's most powerful strength weapon turns a warrior into a force of nature.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I like being on fire and rubbing myself all over giant monsters. I am ok with people not being into that.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Bakalakadaka posted:

I like being on fire and rubbing myself all over giant monsters. I am ok with people not being into that.
If they didn't want to share your gift of fire, they shouldn't have been so big and flammable.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bakalakadaka posted:

If people aren't into that, they're wrong.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
How does this game scale up in difficulty as you get into more advanced levels? I'm at like level 41 mystic knight and am working on the second set of Chamberlain Aldous quests, and I have a pretty easy enough time with everything. As long as I pack enough curatives ya know.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

How does this game scale up in difficulty as you get into more advanced levels? I'm at like level 41 mystic knight and am working on the second set of Chamberlain Aldous quests, and I have a pretty easy enough time with everything. As long as I pack enough curatives ya know.

Difficulty trails off until you go into post game. It spikes then and once you get used to that tapers off again? BitterBlack is a whole other level of difficulty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game doesn't scale anything at all so if you keep doing sidequests and leveling it will keep getting easier. There are some random difficulty spikes at certain parts of the story though, mainly when you enter the postgame.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nothing scales. Once you hit level 20 the difficulty just tapers and doesn't stop until you hit post-game. At that point it takes a fairly big jump, but you can do any of it at your own pace so it isn't too dramatic.
As mentioned, BBI is in another league and generally maintains a good balance no matter your levels.

Anyway, if you're using some overly effective skills you might want to just try some others. Some skills or combinations of skills can really drag the game down. Focus Bolt with staffs is a good example. Incredibly powerful, but doesn't really require much from you as the player. MK's Magick Cannon can be the same way if you tend to over use them. Since you're usually so limited by number of skills you can carry it happens a lot, so sometimes you just have to straight up drop some of those skills to keep the gameplay involved. I personally have trouble with it, because doing that feels like intentionally crippling myself. Wariror and Fighter don't quite have the same problem, so while playing as them is technically intentionally crippling myself it doesn't feel like it.

If you're still having some fun, but it just feels like you're running through the motions, then stick with it. BBI is super rad. If things are really getting tedious though, then just try another class. Some are more involved than others. That can mean somewhat slower progress, but I really have a lot of difficulty staying interested as anything other than the pure Red classes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to use the word scale in the sense that the game actively changes monster stats as you level, I just meant how do the different areas and quests and monster you find in there change, which is what you mean by difficulty I think.

But thanks, that sounds like what I was expecting based off what I've played so far.

Kiggles posted:

Nothing scales. Once you hit level 20 the difficulty just tapers and doesn't stop until you hit post-game. At that point it takes a fairly big jump, but you can do any of it at your own pace so it isn't too dramatic.
As mentioned, BBI is in another league and generally maintains a good balance no matter your levels.

Anyway, if you're using some overly effective skills you might want to just try some others. Some skills or combinations of skills can really drag the game down. Focus Bolt with staffs is a good example. Incredibly powerful, but doesn't really require much from you as the player. MK's Magick Cannon can be the same way if you tend to over use them. Since you're usually so limited by number of skills you can carry it happens a lot, so sometimes you just have to straight up drop some of those skills to keep the gameplay involved. I personally have trouble with it, because doing that feels like intentionally crippling myself. Wariror and Fighter don't quite have the same problem, so while playing as them is technically intentionally crippling myself it doesn't feel like it.

If you're still having some fun, but it just feels like you're running through the motions, then stick with it. BBI is super rad. If things are really getting tedious though, then just try another class. Some are more involved than others. That can mean somewhat slower progress, but I really have a lot of difficulty staying interested as anything other than the pure Red classes.

I'm still at the point where I'm trying to figure out good combinations of skills, but it's funny that you mention the magic cannon because I just started using that, and it is kind of fun, but I definitely see what you mean by not being too involved.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I enjoy MK the most when you just play it as a fighter that trades Dragon's Maw for a few different abilities and the option to equip a staff for ranged magic attacks if necessary. Sky Rapture is pretty fun (though against smaller enemies, be sure to use it at point blank rather than as a distance closer that always misses). Abyssal Anguish casts relatively quickly and gives your attacks a whole lot more punch. I don't bother taking the time to cast Abyssal Riposte often, but it can be good occasionally if you really want to hit a big guy with torpor. Other than that, I tend to stick to basic red skills and regular attacks, of which there are plenty of solid options.

The whole "buff yourself up a ton, lay down some magic cannons, put down a sigil, and attack for a few seconds" playstyle is not only super overpowered, but also super boring. Whole lot of standing in place while waiting for poo poo to cast, then when you finally get things up and running you just kinda smack the cannons which home in and do all the work automatically. Repeat every few seconds. It's probably my least favorite way to play this game.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
some old screenshots -

It will be nice to have clear screenshots when the PC version gets here

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Speaking of MK, fighter skills used with a magic sword use the same strength/magic calculation split as the sword, right?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Caphi posted:

Speaking of MK, fighter skills used with a magic sword use the same strength/magic calculation split as the sword, right?

To keep it simple, yes. A skill that has you connecting with your weapon will typically just apply the same damage formula as a normal attack would, and draws from the Primary or Secondary Offensive stats of your status screen, depending on what weapon is actually connecting. There is usually a slight modifier on the damage to balance slower/more stamina hungry skills, but it applies to the final damage to guarantee that slower or more stamina costly skills are worth the effort, while those multi-hit skills that often give a ton of i-frames will sometimes have negative multipliers. Again, all after enemy def has been considered, so it's just a minor balancer to see that stacking poo poo tons of damage doesn't unfairly favor the multi-hit skills.

For those skills shared by MK and Fighter, the formulas are identical.

For the purposes of using hybrid weapons vs buffed weapons the results are also no different. If you could hypothetically have a hybrid weapon with identical total stats to a buffed weapon, the total damage would be identical. The only thing worth mentioning in that hypothetical would be that you could still buff the hybrid and gain additional Magick attack, technically making it superior, but I digress. The hypothetical is almost never possible anyway.

Outside of those pure melee weapon skills, like the one's MK and Fighter share, things can get complicated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vargs posted:

I enjoy MK the most when you just play it as a fighter that trades Dragon's Maw for a few different abilities and the option to equip a staff for ranged magic attacks if necessary. Sky Rapture is pretty fun (though against smaller enemies, be sure to use it at point blank rather than as a distance closer that always misses). Abyssal Anguish casts relatively quickly and gives your attacks a whole lot more punch. I don't bother taking the time to cast Abyssal Riposte often, but it can be good occasionally if you really want to hit a big guy with torpor. Other than that, I tend to stick to basic red skills and regular attacks, of which there are plenty of solid options.

The whole "buff yourself up a ton, lay down some magic cannons, put down a sigil, and attack for a few seconds" playstyle is not only super overpowered, but also super boring. Whole lot of standing in place while waiting for poo poo to cast, then when you finally get things up and running you just kinda smack the cannons which home in and do all the work automatically. Repeat every few seconds. It's probably my least favorite way to play this game.

Ruinous Sigil is my favorite Mystic Knight ability. It's powerful, but in a really satisfying way: lay a couple of those down at a large enemy's feet and just watch them endlessly trigger the damage effect and melt. Stand there and whack them with your sword because it feels good.

Mystic Knight is neat.

My other favorite classes are Assassin and Magick Archer, though MA has that same "the most optimal playstyle is the most boring one" thing that full-cannon MK does. The "light yourself on fire and tear poo poo up" style owns, though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 29, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Danith posted:

It will be nice to have clear screenshots when the PC version gets here

My laptop is too lovely to play games and I want a console release so bad

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

titties posted:

My laptop is too lovely to play games and I want a console release so bad

The cycle continues.............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Harrow posted:

Ruinous Sigil is my favorite Mystic Knight ability. It's powerful, but in a really satisfying way: lay a couple of those down at a large enemy's feet and just watch them endlessly trigger the damage effect and melt. Stand there and whack them with your sword because it feels good.

My other favorite classes are Assassin and Magick Archer, though MA has that same "the most optimal playstyle is the most boring one" thing that full-cannon MK does. The "light yourself on fire and tear poo poo up" style owns, though.
Also watch your FPS die.
Stacking two Sigils and two Cannons on a fat enemy is fun.

Ninefold and Ricochet have their places where they're the more optimal skill(s), and they are cool. BBI and Ricochet is my favorite thing.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread