Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

* unity exists but lol @ working for a game company
xamarin exists too :buddy:

lol @ working for a xamarin company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's actually zero difference between windows devs and unix devs. you imbecile. you loving moron.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
here's a nickel, kid. get yourself a better computer

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

the talent deficit posted:

elixir has the best zero to production experience of any language i've ever learned

hmm tell me more

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ahmeni posted:

facebook uses php like scala uses java

I would work for Facebook in a second because they do some cool poo poo in the mobile space, subjunctive linked me to their iOS emulator multiplexing library they released a few days ago and it's real nice

I know very well how Facebook uses php

hack makes php bearable and kind of nice

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
android's limit on method count in an app is pretty funny, though.

xamarin is garbage. if you think xamarin is hunky-dory-swell, you don't know xamarin.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Xamarin is complete poo poo. Xamarin Studio is one of the worst pieces of software i've ever had to use. Never trust any of its refactoring tools. I wanted to change the type of a variable from MyClass to MyOtherClass, but instead I absentmindedly used refactor-rename on MyClass and renamed it to MyOtherClass. Xamarin Studio happily did this without complaint, except for the fact that my program no longer makes any sense because of the two ambiguous MyOtherClass classes with no way to undo it. I think I fixed most of it with a git rollback but I had to hand-disambiguate some stuff I didn't want to rewrite. It's also destructively buggy. They had a version at one point that would have a like 20% chance of just overwriting your project file with a completely empty project every time you opened it.

And Xamarin.Forms...thought it would save me some time on some quick apps so I tried it back when it came out. There was a rookie cell recycling bug in the Android implementation of ListViews that made items render in an undefined order, effectively making any app that used ListViews (all of them) completely broken. I believe multiple major feature releases passed before that was fixed. I never touched Xamarin.Forms again.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

ahmeni posted:

is this the same thing as when they did shared code for both platforms and ran into the function # limit for android?

no. um, well, actually I don't quite remember. I know it had something to do with reflection. actually, I think I found what my old colleague was referring to:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_libcore/commit/0cfd9bcaa70317a8c400c39b25ad42ba05c7531a

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_libcore/commit/06088541fdf6c9d6c20f75c9be642102146894d2

now, that does say dalvik so i'm not sure if that still applies to the modern Android RunTime. also, yes this is the cyanogenmod git repository but that commit is in AOSP too and is still present in 5.1.1.

edit: Upon reflection (:heysexy:), I think this is related to the hack they used to bypass the function # limit.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 13, 2015

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Malcolm XML posted:

hmm tell me more

tools are well integrated with the language (in fact packaged with the primary distribution), the documentation is fantastic and a ton of effort and thought have gone into making it not only easy but also obvious what the 'right' thing to do in most common situations is

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Volte posted:

Xamarin is complete poo poo... They had a version at one point that would have a like 20% chance of just overwriting your project file with a completely empty project every time you opened it.

lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

there's actually zero difference between windows devs and unix devs. you imbecile. you loving moron.

something only a windows developer would say

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
well i will admit that windows devs probably spend a higher percentage of their time on the problem at hand rather than knitting together 20 open sores techs into an ad hoc platform

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

well i will admit that windows devs probably spend a higher percentage of their time on the problem at hand rather than knitting together 20 open sores techs into an ad hoc platform

trap sprung, i guess?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gazpacho posted:

"the problem at hand" being windows?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Shaggar posted:

use c# and java and embrace the corporate culture of not caring at all and getting the gently caress out at 5.

shaggar is always right. its gotten to the point that when i disagree with shaggar i will think about what he said till i agree.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the only thing I disagree with in that shaggar quote is getting out at 5, because that implies getting in earlier than 11

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Soricidus posted:

the only thing I disagree with in that shaggar quote is getting out at 5, because that implies getting in earlier than 11

it's nice to go home while it's still light :)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

FamDav posted:

return 57; // well-known prime

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

grothendieck prime best prime

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

says you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
roll in at 10

lunch at 11

get back at 2

roll out at 4

fortune five hunnerd 4 lyfe

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Volte posted:

And Xamarin.Forms...thought it would save me some time on some quick apps so I tried it back when it came out. There was a rookie cell recycling bug in the Android implementation of ListViews that made items render in an undefined order, effectively making any app that used ListViews (all of them) completely broken. I believe multiple major feature releases passed before that was fixed. I never touched Xamarin.Forms again.
it's also slow af, every time you so much as want to change the text in a label it redraws everything on the page and obsessively checks to make sure they're sized correctly etc

lol if u don't use visual studio tho

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

jony ive aces posted:

it's also slow af, every time you so much as want to change the text in a label it redraws everything on the page and obsessively checks to make sure they're sized correctly etc

lol if u don't use visual studio tho
Trying to do iOS dev from a windows machine is just a loving nightmare, I'd rather use Xamarin Studio than try to manage that nightmare of a workflow

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

roll in at 10

lunch at 11

get back at 2

roll out at 4

fortune five hunnerd 4 lyfe

come in at 9
eat breakfast
eat lunch
eat dinner
leave at 7:30 and realize coworker that came in at 7 am is still here

:negative:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
It was 130 hour weeks. People say, "there's only 168 hours in a week, how can you do it?" Well, if you're strategic about when you shower and sleeping under your desk, it can be done.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

get out after the people who were in when you came in have left.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Volte posted:

Xamarin is complete poo poo. Xamarin Studio is one of the worst pieces of software i've ever had to use. Never trust any of its refactoring tools. I wanted to change the type of a variable from MyClass to MyOtherClass, but instead I absentmindedly used refactor-rename on MyClass and renamed it to MyOtherClass. Xamarin Studio happily did this without complaint, except for the fact that my program no longer makes any sense because of the two ambiguous MyOtherClass classes with no way to undo it. I think I fixed most of it with a git rollback but I had to hand-disambiguate some stuff I didn't want to rewrite. It's also destructively buggy. They had a version at one point that would have a like 20% chance of just overwriting your project file with a completely empty project every time you opened it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i have to use ionic to build an app, it's only marginally better

golly gee i love doing ui work at the best of times, let's enhance the experience with css and Ballpit javascript frameworks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Wheany posted:

get out after the people who were in when you came in have left.

be the first one in, leave at literally any time

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
work at a place that doesn't measure everyone else's worth based on lovely overachievers

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

be the first one in, leave at literally any time

that also works, but then i would have to get up real early and eff that ess

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

fritz posted:

return 69; //that's the sex number

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

fleshweasel posted:

Facebook is well experienced in getting iOS to do terrible things. that said I would probably love to work an internship there.

it is very impressive but i have to wonder why. the facebook app is not particularly complicated or notable, at least from a user perspective. maybe it's eldritch horror wizardry under the hood but that still raises the question... why?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Volte posted:

i would check in on xamarin studio (né monodevelop) every 8 months or so to see if they ever fixed their preferences modal by either 1) making it resizable or 2) reordering the ui controls so it didn't cut them off, leaving some preferences literally unchangeable.

i did this for 3 or 4 years. it was never fixed. i judged the toolset accordingly.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
de Icaza talks a good talk and by all accounts the mobile cross-platform stuff is pretty good but every time i tried to get some .net app running on mono it never worked and the toolchain never worked and nothing ever worked and it was all garbage and so it was windows and visual studio forever.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
also if you're writing apps on ios or android just loving learn cocoa touch or android sdk because mobile platforms are horrible enough without also wrangling an alternate ecosystem bolted on top.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Dr Monkeysee posted:

it is very impressive but i have to wonder why. the facebook app is not particularly complicated or notable, at least from a user perspective. maybe it's eldritch horror wizardry under the hood but that still raises the question... why?

the udp priming is pretty clever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifozUqqC0TY

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

also if you're writing apps on ios or android just loving learn cocoa touch or android sdk because mobile platforms are horrible enough without also wrangling an alternate ecosystem bolted on top.

also your users won't hate you for your garbage app not behaving like any other app

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr Monkeysee posted:

this. my company took a contract to do a mobile app with sencha touch/phonegap/some kinda web app cross platform garbage and it was just a trainwreck. pretty sure we're all about native in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
when the .net shop I worked at needed to move into mobile we considered cross-compilation for about 5 minutes. the headaches arent worth it and it's just not that hard to ramp up on a new platform (fluency in a new platform is obviously a larger effort).

i had an objc prototype up and running in a couple weeks with unit tests and build pipelines and whatever and then when apple goes and breaks all our poo poo in the next minor xcode release we didn't have to navigate some horrific cross product of apple's and xamarin's poor choices.

post-prototype you hire a few mobile devs to come in and show you all the things you did wrong. or not. you'll probably figure it out.