Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Works for me in Safari on Yosemite 10.10.5

Looks like CSS didn't get loaded properly for y'all or maybe JS only partially loaded/executed. Bizarre. Clear your cache and reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Looks okay in 10.10.5 Safari for me. They have been updating their site's stylesheets and stuff lately so you probably just have an old/bad cached version of them.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, it looks like all Apple Support static pages are hosed for me.. if you use Safari in Yosemite 10.10.5.

For example, try this page about installing Windows 10 in Boot Cramp: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

Works for me in safari 8.0.8 in 10.10.5

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Chris Knight posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Knowledge Base?

Hey, you didn't disable Web Page Previews didja?

Gonna try a combo update to clear things up. Physically removed ~/Library/Caches/anythingwithSafariinthename but Apple pages still wonky.

BTW, pages show fine on Safari 9.0 in El Capitan GM. Running on a 2 GB MBA 2010!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 13, 2015

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Chris Knight posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Knowledge Base?

Following a suggestion here, I went to Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Advanced, and unchecked "Never use font sizes smaller than…”, and that fixed it for me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

..And here as well, thanks for the tip!

And a hearty :downsbravo: to Apple for loving up a simple internal preference.

BTW, if you enable the checkbox in Safari 9.0 in El Crapitan the same bullshit happens. OS X Rot anyone?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I got even more hilarious results in Firefox:

SaintFu posted:

Following a suggestion here, I went to Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Advanced, and unchecked "Never use font sizes smaller than…”, and that fixed it for me.
Cool, that worked for Safari anyway.

gently caress YOU, MAC!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

..And here as well, thanks for the tip!

And a hearty :downsbravo: to Apple for loving up a simple internal preference.

BTW, if you enable the checkbox in Safari 9.0 in El Crapitan the same bullshit happens. OS X Rot anyone?

It's not "OS X Rot" it's their hosed up CSS.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
There's a little blue ghost on both your browsers, maybe he is haunting them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nah I don't use Ghostery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boiled Water posted:

I have a hankering for playing the older titles, namely Civilizations I and II and looking for a way to do so. Google found sites recommend sheep shaver but I cannot for the life of me get it to run in El Capitan.

I'm not running El Cap so can't comment on that. What are the issues that you're seeing?

You could also try a 68K emulator such as Basilisk instead.

And finally, it pains me to say it but it may be easiest to play the Windows versions in a VM. :woz:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A bit of digging reveals Sheepshaver is broken in some way in El Capitan.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boiled Water posted:

I have a hankering for playing the older titles, namely Civilizations I and II and looking for a way to do so. Google found sites recommend sheep shaver but I cannot for the life of me get it to run in El Capitan.
They're both DOS-era, right? May be worth giving Boxer a go.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I got SheepShaver to work in El Capitan, I forced it to run in 32-bit and also checked Prevent App Nap. Had to kill every SheepShaver pref and start over, used New World ROM.

Ran from a generic Mac OS 9.0.4 image.

Only tried running system apps and Rescue! but they worked fine as long as I made sure RAM was set to at least 256 MB.

Edit: Proof...

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 14, 2015

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Are there any notable differences between Reeder and NetNewsWire? Reeder is still the fan favourite, correct?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I also have a spooky ghost haunting me in El Cap on a Haswell MBA.

I keep getting random fairly severe framerate drops that seem tied to Safari running. Doesn't matter how many or few tabs either, it's happened with just the blank tab window open. Switching spaces or opening Mission Control is buttery smooth 99% of the time - and then suddenly it's choppy as hell. Or I can open a new tab, start typing an address and the keystrokes have about a 250ms lag before showing in the address bar. What's really odd about that last one is if I quickly type out http://reddit.com/r/redpill and click another tab before the keystroke lag catches up, the page will load in that tab.

Anyone else seeing this? It's been a few days since installing the GM candidate so I don't think it's Spotlight indexing. Thinking I might just wait for the final release, slap it on a USB, and flatten/reinstall like it's Windows 98 SE.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TACD posted:

Are there any notable differences between Reeder and NetNewsWire? Reeder is still the fan favourite, correct?

Black Pixel pretty much ruined NetNewsWire (and it still has a major bug despite being "released"!), so yeah, use Reeder.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Molten Llama posted:

Black Pixel pretty much ruined NetNewsWire (and it still has a major bug despite being "released"!), so yeah, use Reeder.

Specifics on the ruination and the major bug?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They removed a lot of the power features that people liked, like AppleScript and tons of options. Also it's been in beta for over a year.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a way to use chrome extensions on safari, and to keep safari bookmarks synced with my chrome bookmarks?

i'd like to use safari on my macbook but i like SALR and ive gotten used to synced bookmarks with chrome on windows

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Specifics on the ruination and the major bug?

The major bug is that the viewer pane frequently fails to show your content.

It's been there through multiple beta releases (half of which were just "extend the expiration date" anyway) and now into the version they're charging money for.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NetNewsWire only syncs with its own service, and only between the NetNewsWire iPhone and Mac apps (there's no IPad yet). Reeder syncs with far more services than I even knew existed, and Unread gets the important ones. Reeder is really good and has an awesome Mac version, and Unread has a unique feel that's fast and friendly. Even without the bugs there's nothing really compelling about NNW these days.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 14, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've got a question about Photos and iCloud.

My mother in law has a MacBook, an iPhone, and an iPad. She takes a poo poo load of photos. Her iPhone is a couple years old and has whatever the minimum drive size back then. I've set her up to automatically upload her photos to iCloud so she can get them across all her devices, but her phone is still yelling at her that it is out of space. I know it supposedly has lower res versions of the icloud photos on the phone, but we're talking a LOT of photos. I think something on the order of 6 gigs at least. She still wants to be able to take pictures on her phone, though. Is there a way to set it up so that photos from the phone will upload to the cloud but she can delete the photos on her phone without nuking them on the cloud as well? What if I disconnected the phone from the cloud, deleted all the photos there, and then had her sync the phone with the laptop? Would that automatically transfer the photos to the computer and, eventually the cloud?

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I have discovered a problem with Microsoft Outlook (for Mac) version 15.13.1. Symptoms:

1) In a new message, typing in a subject line will display the subject on the title bar of the window (top blue header) but not actually in the subject line field; it's invisible.

2) In the results window of "Searching Addresses..." found addresses will not display in full without clicking individual fields (mostly all address fields will be hidden (invisible) like #1 above, sometimes you’ll get one line ok).

Is this something that could be fixed deleting a plist or other preference file(s)? Is this a graphics (driver) glitch? It's only an issue in this program, AFAIK. Anyone seen this type of behavior before and/or know of a fix? Thanks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can set photos to automatically sync over wifi without using iCloud Photo Library (which is awful imo) then all you'd need to do is back up your photos library from time to time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can set photos to automatically sync over wifi without using iCloud Photo Library (which is awful imo) then all you'd need to do is back up your photos library from time to time.

She wants her photos available on her various devices (although I'm trying to talk her into some limited access on the phone) and the computer is on rarely. Wireless syncing isn't really an option.

edit: to make this clear, this is a solution for a 65 year old retired 4th grade teacher who is minimally technically literate. The push to get her on iCloud happened because she never backed up to the external HD we bought her for backing up and she's the sort of person who losing all those photos of her 4 year old granddaughter etc would be absolutely devastating for.

What we really need is a way to cut down the overhead on the phone while still having the pictures she takes on it accessible on her iPad and (occasionally) the laptop.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 15, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think stumping up for more iCloud storage is your best bet. I'd recommend OneDrive to anyone even remotely technically literate as you don't need to keep a local copy of the files once they sync but if it's something you might think be too complex , I don't think anything other than iCloud Photo Library has the integration you'll need.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I think stumping up for more iCloud storage is your best bet. I'd recommend OneDrive to anyone even remotely technically literate as you don't need to keep a local copy of the files once they sync but if it's something you might think be too complex , I don't think anything other than iCloud Photo Library has the integration you'll need.

I thought he's implying that she's already using iCloud Photo Library?

I've always been sceptical of this exact case: large photo libraries combined with small device storage and Apple's "intelligent thumbnail caching", good to know it was a valid concern. I've also heard other horror stories with iCloud Photo Library, like photo modifications taking literally days to sync between devices.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Are you stuck on the beta software "track" if you download the El Capitan GM now rather than being patient and wait 15 days?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Froist posted:

I've always been sceptical of this exact case: large photo libraries combined with small device storage and Apple's "intelligent thumbnail caching", good to know it was a valid concern. I've also heard other horror stories with iCloud Photo Library, like photo modifications taking literally days to sync between devices.

Yeah I stopped using iCloud photo library after a week, I was an early adopter and the sync problems were infuriating.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Molten Llama posted:

Cheers!

Also! Now that the GM is out, I'm going to assume this bug I'm experiencing is an app issue: I use OmniFocus and Evernote to organise my task lists and to-dos, and I can't get them to play nicely in Split View. Either one seems willing to pair up with any other application I've tried, but trying to put them both together gives me a cursor with the crossed circle 'no' symbol. Does anybody have a theory on what might be causing this?

It sounds petty but being able to have these two side-by-side was something I was really looking forward to in El Capitan, and I don't even know which one of them is at fault here since they both seem to work fine with everything else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eight Is Legend posted:

Are you stuck on the beta software "track" if you download the El Capitan GM now rather than being patient and wait 15 days?

If you're not already signed up for the beta, I don't think so. Either way it will only really make a difference in about 9 months when the new OS is announced.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Froist posted:

I thought he's implying that she's already using iCloud Photo Library?

Yeah, she's already got the $.99/mo iCloud bump. It works well for her in general and she's never expressed any problems with the photo library. Then again, she's about as far from a power user as you can get.

As an aside, if you have an older person in your life upgrading to a smart phone do whatever it takes to make them not buy the bottom-barrel storage option. I wasn't there when she bought it and she wanted to save a few bucks so now here we are.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Am I reading this wrong or is the problem the amount of space in iCloud? If so just buy her more of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think the problem is the local copies taking up all the space on the iPhone!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think the problem is the local copies taking up all the space on the iPhone!

Yep. She's got plenty of space in the cloud, it's the space on the local phone that is the issue.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Buy her a used iphone with more storage. That's the solution she would be happiest with, imo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You know what's annoying about El Capitan GM? If you try to use the createinstallmedia script, it produces a nice bootable USB key, but if you boot from that key and try to install El Capitan it tells you that it can't verify the image and it won't install. So you have to install Mavericks/Yosemite first. :sigh:

The flip side is that it comes with Remote Desktop Client 3.8.5 which seems much faster than 3.8.4 was.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 16, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep. She's got plenty of space in the cloud, it's the space on the local phone that is the issue.

This is a slippery slope man. I'm up to the 64gb model for my wife and it's still jammed to capacity with photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

You know what's annoying about El Capitan GM? If you try to use the createinstallmedia script, it produces a nice bootable USB key, but if you boot from that key and try to install El Capitan it tells you that it can't verify the image and it won't install. So you have to install Mavericks/Yosemite first. :sigh:
Worked fine for me. I made two USB keys already and have used both to do installations.