Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

mugrim posted:

Yeah, do you have a link? The T-Mobile 5gb prepaid plan I'm seeing is 70 bucks.

Here's what I'm seeing

Kraps posted:

Do you have a link?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I feel like I should buy a Moto X anyway because even if my phone is still under warranty I'm planning to leave my current provider soon, good idea?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

T-Mobile is $30/mo for 5gb (and unlimited at 2G)

You can get that down to $20-25 by buying $100 cards off ebay.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I did the Motorola Advance Exchange thing, that's a relief.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So my Samsung Galaxy S3 just got spiderweb cracks in the screen from falling off my desk onto my computer case, screen-first. I think it's a thread curse. That, or looking at new phones makes old phones jealous.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
edit. wrong thread

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My trusty n5 has finally bitten the dust, instant random shutdowns galore

Picked up a moto g for 80 quid from argos to last me till the new n5 comes out

:hellyeah:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Skarsnik posted:

"finally"

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I've been looking into getting a new mid-tier Android and the Huawei P8 has caught my eye. Does anyone have any experience with it? I am using an original Moto G atm and really loving the battery life, plus the fact it has (almost) vanilla Android, both of which are pretty important to me. I switched away from Samsung after my S2 because they started adding too much proprietary poo poo for my liking.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Skarsnik posted:

Argos, Greece?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Pro tip: Reboot Android into safe mode for easy malware removal

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-reboot-android-into-safe-mode-for-easy-malware-removal/

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ended up getting a Moto X Pure from Best Buy. I like the phone. It's a hugephone, but it's certainly much more comfortable to hold than my iPhone 6 was.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TraderStav posted:

Argos, Greece?

Argos, the laminated catalogue of dreams

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Skarsnik posted:

Bang it on the table to see if its the stuck/broken power button (it probably is)

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Skarsnik posted:

Argos, the laminated catalogue of dreams

Laminated to catch the tears of joy!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't even get the slight vibrate from when you hold down the power button.. Just an instant off

Its been dying a death for a long time now, I was hoping it'd limp its way to the end of the month, but oh well

Rather looking forward to a (tiny) phone I can get away with not charging for a day or two.

Kidney Stone posted:

Laminated to catch the tears of joy!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Real world Moto X pure photos are starting to filter out.

https://plus.google.com/photos/+KellySchutt/albums/6193755609496359825

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

Bullshit photos, no cattes anywhere.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
The Pure's big camera problem is the low light noise and the absolutely terrible focus. One of the worst auto-focus cameras I've ever used. The rest of the camera is pretty good but it fails to be a good point and shoot for that reason, IMO.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

bull3964 posted:

Why's this dork taking square photos?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Cozmosis posted:

The Pure's big camera problem is the low light noise and the absolutely terrible focus. One of the worst auto-focus cameras I've ever used. The rest of the camera is pretty good but it fails to be a good point and shoot for that reason, IMO.

So it's exactly like the last moto x or the turbo!

I can't get past the sneaking suspicion that the moto x pure is just a slightly bigger 2014 moto x, complete with the terrible battery life

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm having some trouble getting my outlook account to sync with my LG G3 after doing a factory restore.

I recently restored the phone to fix a random restart issue (it's fixed now) but now when I try to add my outlook email account back into the LG email app I just consistently get an "incorrect details" error. I've tried setting the server to both s.outlook.com and m.outlook.com, and letting the phone handle it automatically, to no avail. The email was syncing perfectly before the restore.

Model: LG-D855
Android: 5.0

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because it's the correct way to take photos.

If you want widescreen, crop.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because you can drop image data later but can't add it later, you trend-junkie.

There is no good reason not to use the sensor's actual aspect ratio for stills (you're kinda stuck with video), and the only reason not to use its native resolution is if it doesn't give you the option (or again video).

Note some front cameras actually ARE 16:9, but those ain't selfies. EDIT: What's weirder some front cameras are 1:1.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 13, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Bought a new Nexus 6 for $350. Is this a terrible idea seeing as it is a year old, or should it still have some life left in it?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bought a new Nexus 6 for $350. Is this a terrible idea seeing as it is a year old, or should it still have some life left in it?

Nope. By purchasing a year old phone you've cursed your family nigh on to sevens generations. Mark your place in the world now for your descendants will do naught but spit on your grave.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Unless there is some 64-bit voodoo you just can't live without (there won't be) for the next few years, you made the right choice. If you don't mind the size, that is. I loving hated the width of that thing. YMMV.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

hotsauce posted:

Unless there is some 64-bit voodoo you just can't live without (there won't be) for the next few years, you made the right choice. If you don't mind the size, that is. I loving hated the width of that thing. YMMV.

Yeah. Already happening. :/

Do SIM card tray adapters work alright? I have a nano-sim for Cricket, and I'm starting to feel like I might just get a Moto G and be done with it, but getting a new Cricket sim is a pain in the rear end.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah. Already happening. :/

Do SIM card tray adapters work alright? I have a nano-sim for Cricket, and I'm starting to feel like I might just get a Moto G and be done with it, but getting a new Cricket sim is a pain in the rear end.

I cut up a micro sim and taped my nano in there, so totally.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I use a 3d printed sim adapter in my Note 4, and before I had the adapter, I just stuck the sim in, and it worked fine. Only reason I made the adapter was it made me less worried about throwing it on my bed.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm going to be buying a new phone in the next couple months. I'm waiting to see how the nexus, htc, and blu phones are received.

But there is one feature that I need more info on. Next year, my wife and I will be visiting China for a couple weeks. We want at least one device with unlimited data to back up pictures online and look up stuff, and I think that'll be my phone. Do I need to look into anything fancy when phone shopping? Is dual SIM necessary? Should I not worry about it, and there is a better procedure?

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Cozmosis posted:

This. If your subject moves even a little, the picture is hosed.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Not to launch into an SD fiasco, but I'd be willing to bet many will opt for the 16gig banking on the Marshmallow feature that marries the SD to the phone memory.

I know, OMG GONNA FAIL ISSUES but it's going that direction. Buy the cheapest onboard version, add a $30 huge microSD and call it a day. Hope Google knows what it's doing with this new feature. Grandma's gonna be confused when poo poo breaks.

How long till it gets Marshmallow? I waited a long time to get Lollipop on my original Moto X

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

b0nes posted:

How long till it gets Marshmallow? I waited a long time to get Lollipop on my original Moto X

Marshmallow isn't even officially released yet so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with the Moto X Pure, hows the day to day performance? Notice any lagging? That complaint seems to pop up in a couple of reviews I've read.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Hughmoris posted:

For those with the Moto X Pure, hows the day to day performance? Notice any lagging? That complaint seems to pop up in a couple of reviews I've read.

I haven't noticed any lagging. Is there something specific you want me to try?

I don't really play games, most of my time is spent in Chrome, Netflix, Youtube, Pandora and ESPN Fantasy Football.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 14, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Mine isn't always 100% buttery smooth but its never had a real hiccup or freeze or anything.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hughmoris posted:

I was expecting some but so far it's extremely smooth and responsive (using Nova launcher). I do a lot of gaming too and it works fine so far for that.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Rusty Kettle posted:

But there is one feature that I need more info on. Next year, my wife and I will be visiting China for a couple weeks. We want at least one device with unlimited data to back up pictures online and look up stuff, and I think that'll be my phone. Do I need to look into anything fancy when phone shopping? Is dual SIM necessary? Should I not worry about it, and there is a better procedure?
Unlimited data? Um what are you talking about? That won't likely happen but you can easily get several GB and use hotel/hostel WiFi which is commonplace.

If going for only a few weeks either go without service or just pick up a China Unicom sim card. Get a VPN and backup pics to Dropbox or G+ over WiFi and VPN when you're back at the hotel.

You don't need anything special when it comes to phones, China Unicom supports the same 3G standards and frequencies as the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SB35 posted:

Unlimited data? Um what are you talking about? That won't likely happen but you can easily get several GB and use hotel/hostel WiFi which is commonplace.

If going for only a few weeks either go without service or just pick up a China Unicom sim card. Get a VPN and backup pics to Dropbox or G+ over WiFi and VPN when you're back at the hotel.

You don't need anything special when it comes to phones, China Unicom supports the same 3G standards and frequencies as the rest of the world.

Isn't Google blocked in China?