Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thumbtacks posted:

For some reason I can't hold RMB and look/move around, holding RMB in most places on the screen doesn't actually do anything, it's like it's trying to click on something for some reason.

Your cursor is over the UI or some other object. It's dumb and annoying like RMB selecting new targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Is there a reason why I wouldn't be able to get this quest? I have done the quest to unlock armor dying and I've still got my monk artifact armor. When I talk to Alys she doesn't offer me this quest, only the hardmode Ultima Weapon fight.
Have you tried taking the quest she's offering and seeing if she then offers another one? and if that doesn't work try finishing the quest.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I just had the most interesting Haukke Manor experience ever on my Dark Knight doing the low level dungeon roulette. The group started talking about how their last tank kicked their friend and left the group. So I'm just thinking what this group possibly did to drive the last tank insane since they were a really talkative and nice group. One of the Black Mages would run up and stand beside me casting Blizzard 2. And when he accidentally walks into a room with monsters he would run far away from me going "NO NO NO NO" while I'm scrambling to catch up and try to get aggro. I haven't laughed this much in a dungeon in awhile.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I did a Neverreap a little earlier with a Black Mage who liked to Blizzard III when he was out of mp, cast Thunder II while one tick of mp came back, then cast Fire four times to get back to Astral Fire III. No Enochian use.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your cursor is over the UI or some other object. It's dumb and annoying like RMB selecting new targets.

I HATE THE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON TARGET!!!!!!!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So if I'd like to digitally purchase the soundtrack for this, what's the best way? I looked on iTunes and there's like 7 different albums.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you want the complete soundtrack, then you want the 3 albums that have 60+ songs; the ones with 14ish are just random collections that already exist in the 'main' ones. Keep in mind that if the first two are still over :50bux: you're better off buying those albums straight from SE then either keeping or reselling them if you have a grey morals. The third album is only about 28 on itunes, but I just bought the individual tracks that I wanted from it. I feel like I'll probably be getting the entire soundtracks later on, but the individual tracks are good enough to hold me over. Also, keep in mind that the soundtrack is only up to 2.55; 3.0 stuff officially isn't released yet

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Have TPTB said why the new jobs don't have Hunting Logs and (as I unfortunately just found out) Level 45/50 job quests to unlock AF gear?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Klungar posted:

Have TPTB said why the new jobs don't have Hunting Logs and (as I unfortunately just found out) Level 45/50 job quests to unlock AF gear?

Hunt logs are a class feature. New jobs are not classes and also start far later than normal hunt logs so there's likely a weird technical limitation. As for the gear, they added an AF for the new jobs, it's just at 60 not 45/50. There wouldn't be much benefit to them adding another AF set just to fill in that old gap.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

nuru posted:

Hunt logs are a class feature. New jobs are not classes and also start far later than normal hunt logs so there's likely a weird technical limitation. As for the gear, they added an AF for the new jobs, it's just at 60 not 45/50. There wouldn't be much benefit to them adding another AF set just to fill in that old gap.

There is when all my gear sets have a gap between 40 and 50 where I just pick up the AF gear at 45! :argh:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Klungar posted:

There is when all my gear sets have a gap between 40 and 50 where I just pick up the AF gear at 45! :argh:
Just wear the Darkhold gear from 44 to 50. You can buy it off the MB, and while you'll look very dumb, it works.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

Also the expanded hunt system is basically a daily hunting log if you really want to do hunting logs still.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Zereth posted:

Have you tried taking the quest she's offering and seeing if she then offers another one? and if that doesn't work try finishing the quest.

I've tried taking it but then she doesn't offer another when I do. I suppose I could do the quest but it kind of seems pointless to do hardmode ultima weapon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I've tried taking it but then she doesn't offer another when I do. I suppose I could do the quest but it kind of seems pointless to do hardmode ultima weapon.

Alexander savage is gated behind it off that's something you ever care about doing.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

You should probably knock that out, it's required for Alexander Savage and takes like 2 minutes to do with a few people in an undersize party.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

There's also the fact that it's a fun fight and the Ultima theme is one of the best songs in a game full of best songs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rank 18 bird. So loving close.

Edit: Also if you're in TPT and haven't logged in for a while, your bird is probably capped in the stable. Take it out and kill something. Also feed some other people's birds while you're in there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Klungar posted:

If only you were in a massive FC with a bunch of crafters who could make gear for you.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

nuru posted:

Also they didn't do any hunting logs at all for HW content, even for old classes. They're probably just... not doing them.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
So after spending almost all my money on dumb stuff (Relic) and not dumb stuff (glamours) I now need to make some more.

So what's a good way to make gil that doesn't require me to already have loads? I don't want to make millions, but a few hundred thousand would be nice just so I can at least buy stuff from vendors without it making a serious dent in my funds.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Endings posted:

Also they didn't do any hunting logs at all for HW content, even for old classes. They're probably just... not doing them.

Which is kinda sad - I always liked those.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Stanfield posted:

So after spending almost all my money on dumb stuff (Relic) and not dumb stuff (glamours) I now need to make some more.

So what's a good way to make gil that doesn't require me to already have loads? I don't want to make millions, but a few hundred thousand would be nice just so I can at least buy stuff from vendors without it making a serious dent in my funds.

Spiritbonding but you neead disposable gear for that. Mythrite nuggets and aurum regis nuggets sell decently and aren't too hard to make, for gsm anyway.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
What is the best way to do crafting, take crafting professions you want for a specific character or make a crafting alt and leveling all crafts with that alt? Can you you mail crafted items from an alt to your mains?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

There's no reason to level a crafting alt. You also can't mail between characters on the same account.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

nuru posted:

There's no reason to level a crafting alt. You also can't mail between characters on the same account.

Well, i suppose that you could double up on unspoiled nodes and scrip caps, but you're not some sort of crazy person, are you?

edit: oh it wasn't what he was asking :hurr:. Yeah, just use a single character to level everything. Gearing an alt to do it might clear up some free retainer inventory space but it's really not worth the hassle.

staplegun fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 14, 2015

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
There is no particular reason to make an alt. All of the classes will fit on a single character without limits.

The "best" way to do crafting is not to pick out a couple classes you like, but actually to level all of them at once (Or one at a time). The reason for this is that each crafting class has unique cross-class skills they learn at levels 15, 37, and 50. You pretty much want all of them if you want to attempt serious crafting past level 50.

The usual path of an omnicrafter is something like this:

1. level every crafting class to 15. This can be done in an evening, especially if you buy the crafting experience bonus item from your Grand Company.

2. Level Culinarian to 37.

3. Level carpenter to 50.

4. Level everything else to 50 in whatever order (I recommend Weaver at some point early on).

The 2 best ways to do this, in my opinion, are courier leves and grand company turn-ins. Courier leves give a massive amount of exp for the effort they take, and you can gain dozens of levels in an hour. Grand company turn-ins are something you do once a day and give a very respectable amount of exp. Neither of these require actually crafting, since you can buy turn-in items from the market board or get FC members to do it for you. I suggest making or buying only HQ turn-ins too, which are worth double the exp, to maximize efficiency. Also find the highest exp-giving leve currently available, and chain-run that one over and over. Don't waste leve allowances on the lovely ones. You only gain 3 leve allowances ever 12 hours, and this is likely be your main bottleneck. Assuming you don't go broke, of course.

One final point to mention is that crafting, by and large, is a loving sink-hole for gil. There are some few ways to make money, but most of them require high-level crafting and gathering together, which you are going to spend millions of gil and dozens of hours reaching.

All of this should also be considered while keeping in mind that crafting is loving useless for 90% of regular gameplay. Sure you can make yourself neat gear for leveling or whatever, but there is always going to be a better version that is waaaaay easier to get farming whatever tomestone of the patch cycle we're currently on is. Most of the useful things you will make as a crafter, you will end up selling to other crafters, feeding into a vicious cycle into which money disappears. It's a pretty fun mini-game, though.

EDIT: also I should mention, trying to get into crafting without at least a half a million gill in reserve is going to probably be painful. You can save money by gathering mats yourself... but now you're talking about doubling the time commitment of something that is already pretty gargantuan.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 14, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Crafting also lets you repair your gear to 199% durability (repairing gear adds a flat 100% durability), so if you've got level 50 in every non-CUL crafter and carry some Grade 6 Dark Matter around you'll never have to worry about durability again.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The best way to level crafting is not. :colbert:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

vOv posted:

Crafting also lets you repair your gear to 199% durability (repairing gear adds a flat 100% durability), so if you've got level 50 in every non-CUL crafter and carry some Grade 6 Dark Matter around you'll never have to worry about durability again.

For this reason, if nothing else, pushing all the crafts to 50 is worth doing, and relatively inexpensive. Beyond that, though, lies madness. I say as someone whose first eight classes to 60 were crafters.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Stanfield posted:

How high are your gathering classes? The level 55 wyvernskin maps are an easy way to make a bit of extra money. I'd say about 30,000 gil per map on average if you sell the rewards, give or take a few thousand. Dragon skin maps are more lucrative but you need extra people to do them.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I've got BTN at 53 and MIN at 50, and only got CRP at 50 for crafting so I guess it's spiritbonding or nothing for now.

What gear is the most likely to give me a good price:materia value ratio?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A3S, Hand of Pain: is the damage based on the HP difference between the two hands? If so, is the best way to deal with it to stop damage on the one with the lower HP and focus entirely on the higher one?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

A3S, Hand of Pain: is the damage based on the HP difference between the two hands? If so, is the best way to deal with it to stop damage on the one with the lower HP and focus entirely on the higher one?

Gee, I don't know.

Keep them even up until the split and then focus DPS on the one with higher HP. Multidotting is fine as long you can handle the loss in DPS counted for the DPS check (it's still overall encounter DPS)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So does it just take FOREVER to get allied seals now since you don't get them from HW hunts (afaik) and even if you do, no one seems to do A/S ranks.

Just gotta do daily/weekly bills I guess.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

kafziel posted:

I did a Neverreap a little earlier with a Black Mage who liked to Blizzard III when he was out of mp, cast Thunder II while one tick of mp came back, then cast Fire four times to get back to Astral Fire III. No Enochian use.

The thing with Black Mage in Heavensward, is that you don't get Fire 4 until level 60 and it's the combination of Fire 4 and Blizzard 4 that make the Enochian cycle. Before that you still need to use your 2.0 cycle, although at 58 you can use Bliz 4 to prolong Enochian's buff if you're paying attention. But otherwise it is just a DPS cooldown. Then you get to 60, get Fire 4 and are expected to go out into dungeons and the world and figure out how to use it.

Which is fine for the average MMO player that experiments with their skills and tries new things out, but a lot of people rely on their class quests to explain how to use their basic stuff in FFXIV and the new BLM stuff just doesn't.

Honestly I think Enochian, Bliz 4 and Fire 4 should have been earned at 52, 54 and 56 to give people a chance to experiment with them and to learn how they work. Leylines is a nice cooldown, and sharpcast is novel, but they could have stuck the core new rotation in earlier.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

So does it just take FOREVER to get allied seals now since you don't get them from HW hunts (afaik) and even if you do, no one seems to do A/S ranks.

Just gotta do daily/weekly bills I guess.

I stopped doing them about a week or two ago but the S ranks were killed pretty quickly at late night/morning hours eastern time when I play.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Stanfield posted:

I've got BTN at 53 and MIN at 50, and only got CRP at 50 for crafting so I guess it's spiritbonding or nothing for now.

What gear is the most likely to give me a good price:materia value ratio?

Fine, I'll be generous and give a tip - the hq 48 lance goes for around 80k on excal and the mats are in the sub-10k range

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Crafting is cool and good. It is not crafting's fault a lot of you are super mad about red scrip crap when you could just be grabbing the unmelded pieces to look fly as hell.

Reasons you should craft:

1. Some of the best looking gear is crafter only. If you don't immediately get the weaver af2 set the second you can then you are loving up harder than any fracture cross-classer.

2. Repair your poo poo in a dungeon when you forget to repair like a jackass.

3. Making gear for your alt jobs rules. Someone a page or 2 ago was like "I don't need to craft gear when I can get token gear" or some nonsense and it's like bitch that's cool and all but levels 1-45 and then 50-59 are actually shockingly expensive if you want hq gear. And you should because dumpstering some cocky drg on your "garbage tier machinist" rules hard.

4. Crafting is fun. Except when you nq something at 99% quality then you kind of want to die.

Don't craft to make money though. That is a fool's errand.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 14, 2015

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe but it's definitely not a linear correlation. There's a breakpoint, i feel around a 4% difference, where the damage you take drops distinctly to easily survivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Fine, I'll be generous and give a tip - the hq 48 lance goes for around 80k on excal and the mats are in the sub-10k range

Thanks for this, I'll check it out tomorrow.

• Locked thread