Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Slowest truck on earth. Also, lets all play monopoly rather than explain to the daughter what has transpired so far.

poo poo show is poo poo and now I will hatewatch in earnest.

"These barrels have a cylinder, bore choke, for wider spread of the ammo."
OK this poo poo is triggering my TFR side in a big way. It is so :psyduck:

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004
This show would have been so much more interesting if the main character was in the LAPD. Almost every good scene in the show so far involves cops policing a problem that the general public doesn't know about. And after the shootout at the hospital, there is no doubt that the cops know what is going on. I want to see End of Watch with zombies dammit!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Unbeleiveable. I mean, its not suprising, but I still can't beleive how much people on these here forums and in this dang subforum poo poo on a show thats good to watch.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Slowest truck on earth. Also, lets all play monopoly rather than explain to the daughter what has transpired so far.

poo poo show is poo poo and now I will hatewatch in earnest.

"These barrels have a cylinder, bore choke, for wider spread of the ammo."
OK this poo poo is triggering my TFR side in a big way. It is so :psyduck:

If you're going to do this, you have to start with the whole premise of the show: zombies. And then all the other stuff that you aren't knowledge about that they got wrong that happened in the background of the show to get here.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

KoRMaK posted:

Unbeleiveable. I mean, its not suprising, but I still can't beleive how much people on these here forums and in this dang subforum poo poo on a show thats good to watch.

Cannot tell if serious or trolling.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think it would make sense to not tell the daughter if she was eight years old or extremely emotional. Instead, we watch as the mom won't tell the level headed college bound girl about the zombie virus so that stupid things can happen.

Did the Latino gangster follow them home and take the house next door?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

KoRMaK posted:

If you're going to do this, you have to start with the whole premise of the show: zombies. And then all the other stuff that you aren't knowledge about that they got wrong that happened in the background of the show to get here.

Horrible writing, acting and directing rather takes away from the enjoyment of watching. Yeah, zombies being fictional is no excuse for idiot actions and holding back information. It is horrible now. Again I thought the first 2 episodes were decent. The writers fell right back into the poo poo that makes TWD bad.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

Did the Latino gangster follow them home and take the house next door?

I am pretty sure they showed that Latino guy in a previous episode. I could be wrong, though.

I think it makes perfect sense that they didn't tell Alica everything. Like the mother stated, maybe the situation will improve before needing to tell her. These characters don't know the scope of the problem. For all they know, it could be confined to LA and the surrounding suburbs. They have no idea that it isn't going to get better.

Did anyone else get the vibe that Daniel thought the military coming through was a negative thing?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Why would a mother try to keep their child from worrying about things (like their boyfriend hypothetically being a rabid flesh-eating monster, maybe? you haven't really worked out the specifics) with some sort of fun dice-throwing distraction? That's crazy, you're crazy, television show.

Sypher posted:

Did anyone else get the vibe that Daniel thought the military coming through was a negative thing?

I'm guessing him and his wife were involved in the civil war in El Salvador (what with the family all buried), so he's probably a little worried about death squads or something.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 14, 2015

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sypher posted:

I think it makes perfect sense that they didn't tell Alica everything. Like the mother stated, maybe the situation will improve before needing to tell her. These characters don't know the scope of the problem. For all they know, it could be confined to LA and the surrounding suburbs. They have no idea that it i

Perfect sense? The stretching people will perform to excuse this is mind boggling.

Mother comes home freaked out, wont allow her daughter to see her ailing boyfriend, daughter witnesses people across the street being killed by father, mother does nothing in the way of letting law enforcement know. Just "stay away from the windows". Guy has head blown off after eating dog and then attacking stepdad, undead asian lady tries to bite her leg...

But hey, lets just play monopoly!

Seriously dude? Perfect sense?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The show is so all over the place with how people are reacting. One minute Travis is saying that this is all going to blow over quick and the next minute he's burying his neighbor in the backyard. Madison has a 1-2 day period where she sees a guy get run over by a pickup truck and get back up, and has to bash her bosses head in with a fire extinguisher but gets excited about playing monopoly with her two kids while downtown LA burns. After being attacked twice by zombies they stand inches away from one trying to grab them through a fence.

Whoever mentioned that no one seems to be turning on the TV or radio to try to find out what is happening is right on the money. Characters seem pretty unconcerned with what's going on.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Fog Tripper posted:

Mother comes home freaked out, wont allow her daughter to see her ailing boyfriend, daughter witnesses people across the street being killed by father, mother does nothing in the way of letting law enforcement know. Just "stay away from the windows".

Guy has head blown off after eating dog and then attacking stepdad, undead asian lady tries to bite her leg...

Fair, hell of a continuity error.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
This was an improvement. I like where this is headed, looking forward to some army zombie dudes.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I find it hard to believe that two inner city/economically challenged area school employees wouldn't be busting on NPR (KPCC or KCRW) in the area to hear what is going on. I get that television would be static filled, but come on, radio needs to be covered in some regard.

Mother fuckers have to have it on preset in their car by now.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

KoRMaK posted:

lol a whole scene in spanish with subtitles

speaking in spanish for a whole scene is the new hipster/media marketing thing to capture the latino market

narcos is doing it. its fine, i have a small comfort issue with it though becuase when i watch something i alot of times take my eyes off of it so its a small pita where i have to keep my eyes on the screen when there is just dialog playing out- but i think its a funny trend because some marketing group is probably driving it. they probably had a meeting about capturing more demos. so its not driven altruistically, just plain old capitalism

Jesus Christ, man. It's a show set in Los Angeles.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also, dozens of shows have had scenes with subtitles. Breaking Bad and Lost come to mind. Probably many more. I don't think there is anything hipster about it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Jesus Christ, man. It's a show set in Los Angeles.

Yea it makes total sense. It's the motivation for it. I've said this a couple time. drat, chill out.

Breaking bad and others have done it, but there is a push to do more of it lately. Checkout that fortune article I linked. It definately does not detract from the show or the immersion, I just thought it interesting from a behind the sense meta sort of way.

Fog Tripper posted:

Seriously dude? Perfect sense?
beep boop, trying to do nomral things to take your's and your kids' minds off the turmoil outside does not compute.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

KoRMaK posted:

Yea it makes total sense. It's the motivation for it. I've said this a couple time. drat, chill out.

Breaking bad and others have done it, but there is a push to do more of it lately. Checkout that fortune article I linked. It definately does not detract from the show or the immersion, I just thought it interesting from a behind the sense meta sort of way.

beep boop, trying to do nomral things to take your's and your kids' minds off the turmoil outside does not compute.

"kids"

As a poster above rightly brought up, we are talking about college age son and daugter. Not exactly corrral.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

gently caress waiting I'm bored and not in work tomorrow so I'm gonna watch this poo poo right now.

I love it really

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There that ladies children, her kids. Also, they are like around 18. This might be hard for you to emphasize with since you spent your life as a robot but its her responsibility to try and keep them calm. The daughter also demonstrated that she can lose her wits.

Fuuuck Fog, you are not fun to engage with. It's like trolling bad.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

KoRMaK posted:

There that ladies children, her kids. Also, they are like around 18. This might be hard for you to emphasize with since you spent your life as a robot but its her responsibility to try and keep them calm. The daughter also demonstrated that she can lose her wits.

Fuuuck Fog, you are not fun to engage with. It's like trolling bad.

I too would lose my wits if I were 18 and my parents suddenly told me we had to leave our lives behind and go to "the desert" after having seen my neighbors eating each other. I fear that a game of monopoly would not take away my frustration that my mother wont tell me the gently caress is going on.

Kids do not normaly keep calm when you clearly withold pretty important stuff from them, while that stuff is impacting their lives in a ridiculously over the top way.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching tonight's episode right now, just had to stop it and say that I love that the truck they left in the middle of the road is the one thing not on fire when they flee the barber shop. That and the slow, leisurely drive past the police blowing zombies away like they're riding some hosed up version of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

e: alright, the shot of LA going dark was cool at least.
e2: not a fan of how often this show is seeming to use the "zombie goes in to bite somebody during a struggle, camera cuts to someone else at the last second" bit to make you think anyone could secretly be bitten at any time. Happened once with the drug dealer in the tunnel by the river, I think it happened with the zombie principal at the school, and they just did it again with the neighbor zombie and the stepdad.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 14, 2015

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thus far, the thing that's bothered me most is that no one feels the need to comminicate poo poo.
You can only get away from so many windows, you assholes.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Is that plane they keep showing the proposed stand alone Zombies on a plane one shot tv special they announced. Because man, they keep on loving hammer that poo poo in our face.

nopants
May 29, 2004
That was an enjoyable episode on my TV. I hope at some point in the future, when things have really gone to hell, they take refuge in their house again. Then after a restless night of fending off hoards of zombies and marauding gangs of madmen, they run into that guy taking out his garbage again.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The people do stupid things and the dialogue's crazy unnatural but I'm enjoying the show. Had a small moment of realization that the writers knew god drat well leaving that sliding door open was a stupid thing nobody would actually do, and that they did it entirely to create viewer anxiety. I quit yelling at the TV about then; it's a cheap show based on cheap shots, best enjoyed with brain off. Also nobody telling the daughter anything has been infuriating and stupid, but I did see a way to rationalize it when she feaked out after connecting the dots and realizing this might mean her boyfriend's dead. The writers have already shown a really sloppy sense of who knows what, and what they know to be connected, so maybe in their heads everyone's tiptoeing around Alicia to avoid her realizing Matt's toast.

I've been reading "Earth Abides", and there's a point several months after mankind was mostly wiped out that the power grid in San Francisco very slowly starts to fail. It's a very chilling scene, this guy who'd been alone in a dead city for months (but with electricity) all alone watching the lights of a city finally browning out one night, knowing they would never come back on and feeling this primordial terror. I hope for some moments like that where you get a sense of the magnitude of what's being lost here, but with this show it'd probably be accidental.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

There are two extremes of behaviour on display here. One is the whole "everything's normal let's just play monopoly" thing, which is excusable in a way because that's how some people act in a crisis. The other is the seeming fact that in this universe some of the characters have apparently watched the entire The Walking Dead boxset and already have the required fully-developed philosophies to survive the walker apocalypse.

I remember playing the walking dead game right after watching I dunno, series 3 or 4 of the show, and there was a disconnect between my understanding of where everyone in the walking dead universe was at, and where they were at in the game, which is set right after the start of the apocalypse. Right at the start, people are confused as to what's going on, and are either reluctant to kill walkers, or doing so repeatedly causes them to be affected and have stress. In the show, they're long past that and it's all about doing what you need to do to survive and not having any regrets. There was even a whole storyline in S2 about it (Herschel's barn). Fast forward to where we are now in the main series, 5 years after the apocalypse, and people are nonchalantly lopping off walker heads while clearing an area and chatting about the weather.

Characters in this show are being written by writers that exist in a post-TWD world, and some of their reactions and lines blatantly show that. I'll be curious to see how, if at all, this show's existence affects the main show.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
So prediction for next ep...that old lady with the crushed foot is going to catch the fever, and the characters will have a dilemma on their hands with the trigger happy cops outside and a zombie inside.

:0

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahahahah

"You know how I feel about guns!" :mad:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

KoRMaK posted:

What's papa's back story going to be? Why did they talk about "buried in el salvador" like it meant something?

He's of the age to be in his teens or 20s when the political turmoil in el salvador was in full swing in the 80s with death squads and such.

Lamebot posted:

Victims of a death squad?

I'd actually think it would be cool if he was part of a death squad. Could be some redemption storylines.

Cactus posted:

Characters in this show are being written by writers that exist in a post-TWD world, and some of their reactions and lines blatantly show that. I'll be curious to see how, if at all, this show's existence affects the main show.

The only two that really qualify for this are nick and daniel, the salvadoran dad. Nick makes total sense as he's been exposed to everything longer and realizes that these are the dead reanimating. the mom also seems to realize this but still couldn't bring herself to kill her neighbor. the salvadoran dad has obviously been through some poo poo so knows best how to act/survive in an apocalypse.

I actually like how the different characters are at different levels of understanding/acceptance of what's going on instead of everyone knowing the Zombie Apoc Handbook. I think it has actually been pretty organic and I get why the daughter was kept clueless for so long.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Fog Tripper posted:

Counterpoint: horrible episode, and everyone beyond the old mexican dude is a cross between Andrea and Lori. They literally have decided to take everything wrong from TWD and encapsulate it in this show. I actually thought the first two eps were decent. It officially sucks poo poo now.

I mean, he's salvadoran but they're just brownies anyway, right?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

warcrimes posted:

I mean, he's salvadoran but they're just brownies anyway, right?
This is like getting mad about someone assuming a Canadian is an American.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bango skank posted:

This is like getting mad about someone assuming a Canadian is an American.

Not when the characters literally say they're from El Salvador, so unless you have a buttfuckingly bad knowledge of geography there is not an excuse

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HonorableTB posted:

Not when the characters literally say they're from El Salvador, so unless you have a buttfuckingly bad knowledge of geography there is not an excuse

Or if you missed the single throwaway subtitle that mentioned it. Something like 4/5ths of the Latino population in LA is Mexican, someone missing that line assuming Daniel and his family are too isn't exactly "they're all browns anyway."

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

bango skank posted:

Or if you missed the single throwaway subtitle that mentioned it. Something like 4/5ths of the Latino population in LA is Mexican, someone missing that line assuming Daniel and his family are too isn't exactly "they're all browns anyway."

A quarter of the hispanic population of LA is non-mexican. If you're going to watch the show and critique it, watch the loving show(this isn't aimed at you, obviously).

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 14, 2015

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
This show is aggressively boring. The drive-by of the locked-down hospital was an incredible tease. As was the idea of a zombie outbreak during a riot.

The show delivers about 30 seconds of each premise and then has the main characters scoot away at 20mph saying "nah let's just go home instead." Why make the ex-wife a nurse if not to explore the hospital scenario (she would have been called in for double or triple backup if she was even allowed to leave the hospital at all)? Why make the son a rebellious twat if only to glance at the riot (slash-disco-rave) through peep-holes? Why make the protagonists teachers if the only scene of schoolyard turmoil involves the principal wandering the halls alone?

It's pretty clear that as a concept this show had some solid grounding, but then somewhere in the storyboarding process they realized they had already used half their budget on pizza.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I think the ex-wife is a nursing student.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Alicia needs to be told what's going on. Travis needs to stop being a little bitch. Nick needs to raid the neighborhood for drugs and be hosed up the entire time but always right about everything.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

warcrimes posted:

If you're going to watch the show and critique it, watch the loving show(this isn't aimed at you, obviously).

First time in a TVIV thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Fog Tripper posted:

Counterpoint: horrible episode, and everyone beyond the old mexican dude is a cross between Andrea and Lori. They literally have decided to take everything wrong from TWD and encapsulate it in this show. I actually thought the first two eps were decent. It officially sucks poo poo now.

How does it feel to be wrong on the internet?

• Locked thread