Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

univbee posted:

So how long until the extreme religious right turns on her for being a sellout? Is there a RINO-like term for Christians?

Anglican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Wax Dynasty posted:

So the deal is she and her son won't issue licenses, but she won't stop her deputies from doing so. If that's true, she's not going back to jail. This position is the one she rejected last week just before the judge threw her in jail for contempt. Presumably if it was good enough for the judge then, it remains good enough now.

If this was her brilliant master plan all along why didn't she just agree to not interfere at the first contempt day in court? She's totally compromising.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DeusExMachinima posted:

If this was her brilliant master plan all along why didn't she just agree to not interfere at the first contempt day in court? She's totally compromising.

She has really lovely lawyers and I doubt she actually expected to end up in jail. When faced with the choice of going back or remaining free, it's a no brainer.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

She and her lawyers probably assumed, as many of the people in this thread did, that she'd be hit with escalating fines, which would've given her a few weeks/months of grandstanding while holy warriors drained their retirement funds to pay them for her.

Instead the judge saw that coming and just tossed her in the slammer.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Litany Unheard posted:

For anyone saying she's "getting paid for not doing anything", keep in mind that her office actually does a lot more than issue marriage licenses.

Still lovely, but she's not shirking her only duty or something.

I'm going to get a job at McDonalds and then get all high and mighty about making sausage McMuffins because pork. If that doesn't fly, why does this?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Happy Rex Manning Day, thread. Based on her statement, I'm not convinced she's obstructing anyone now, so yay rights for same sex couples. Boo this being such an anti-climax, but I can quell the vindictive side of myself in favor of there being equality in Rowan County.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MrChupon posted:

I'm going to get a job at McDonalds and then get all high and mighty about making sausage McMuffins because pork. If that doesn't fly, why does this?

Because for your analogy to work, you're the manager and you can have someone else make sausage McMuffins.

And if you're the customer you don't loving care so long as you get your food.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Litany Unheard posted:

Because for your analogy to work, you're the manager and you can have someone else make sausage McMuffins.

And if you're the customer you don't loving care so long as you get your food.

Also McDonald's isn't a governmental entity.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Well, if she's still allowing her office to hand out licenses to same-sex couples, then I'm glad this is over.

That said, I hope the next gay couple who does intend on getting their license there does so today, acting as civil as possible in the building, then once they get out, make a mini Pride Parade stepping out of the building, to show-boat in front of the protesters that justice prevailed.

gently caress the bigots. :toot:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Good Citizen posted:

Her name is still on the form though. I expect she'll do something dumb like try to white out her name on all the forms.

I believe that while she was in jail, the forms were altered to read Rowan County Clerk's Office or something similar instead of using her name. In her statement today, she mentioned that the forms will not have her name or title, but rather a notation that the form is issued pursuant to a federal court order. She intimates this makes the forms legally invalid, but no one in the local or state government seems to be supporting her interpretation on that.

In the end, this is a capitulation on Kim Davis' part as she's now taking the deal Judge Bunning gave her two weeks ago. This circus will now move on to the next county clerk who can announce they will be upholding "God's law."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well what would you know, apparently being martyred in jail is just too much for this christian

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MrChupon posted:

You would have to own the McDonalds, and it would still be different because Davis herself is an elected official. She's pretty much in there until the next election, or if the state or county or whichever authority it is that she actually (legally) answers to decides to impeach or recall.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So it sounds really like this whole thing is just ending in a whimper. Her office will issue licenses, she'll just sulk liker a babby but not interfere, the Oathkeepers all get a case of blue ball, and presumably down the line she's unseated by voters for being a huge embarrassment (even if they agree with her) and also for being total and complete poo poo generally, what with the salary issues and such that people probably didn't know about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its amazing what a few days in jail will do. Glad this is basically over.

Now, on to North Carolina!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

What is the status of civil suit against her? And if the suits do win will the state have to pay or will she be personally held liable?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Its amazing what a few days in jail will do. Glad this is basically over.

Now, on to North Carolina!

What she did is completely legal here :negative:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

:smuggo: Not for long.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

XtraSmiley posted:

What is the status of civil suit against her? And if the suits do win will the state have to pay or will she be personally held liable?

It's going to be hard to find the state liable when everyone a the state level had directed her to issue licenses. The governor is on record saying that clerks that refuse to issue licenses should either do their job or resign. As such she is going to lose some of her protection and will certainly be personally liable for some damages.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Icon Of Sin posted:

:smith:

What I've gotten out of this whole thing is that the federal government is kind of toothless. That's probably for the best, since the last thing you want from a government is to like exercise their monopoly on violence to gently caress with individuals, but it shows in cases like this where they have trouble exerting control over subordinate government agents in their own country when they decide to rebel.
That's not an endorsement of Davis's ability to mostly get away with this poo poo, by the way. Just kind of an observation of general events. I'm pretty sure spending a week in jail would get most non-elected people straight-up fired from whatever job they had. As far as any of us know, she got paid for all those days she spent in the cell, plus any applicable bigot dollars.

The inevitable corporate government 50 years from now will probably be way worse, where the EULA you sign for your driver's license waives your right to a trial by jury or some poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The judge forced her to comply so I'm not sure what your point is.
The supremacy clause worked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

They are talking about North Carolina, where actions like those Kim Davis took are 'legally protected' by the state.

In reality, any challenge to North Carolina's law will result in it being struck down by a Federal judge.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

euphronius posted:

The judge forced her to comply, but it's kind of a wet fart. It's more like they forced her office to comply, while she gets to keep pretending like she never complied. It's like the elected county official version of being a social worker with a confederate flag flying over your front lawn- you basically can't trust her to do at least one part of her job without acting under the influence of some gross bias.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

deadly_pudding posted:

The judge forced her to comply, but it's kind of a wet fart. It's more like they forced her office to comply, while she gets to keep pretending like she never complied. It's like the elected county official version of being a social worker with a confederate flag flying over your front lawn- you basically can't trust her to do at least one part of her job without acting under the influence of some gross bias.

Who loving cares what she thinks? That's not what contempt charges or federal power is there for. Licenses are issued, the end.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

They are talking about North Carolina, where actions like those Kim Davis took are 'legally protected' by the state.

In reality, any challenge to North Carolina's law will result in it being struck down by a Federal judge.

The places where people are going to be more opposed to marriage equality are the same places that nobody really lives if they have any choice. The cities are all on board and not having issues with rear end in a top hat magistrates, as far as I've heard. The magistrates in Mcdowell County refusing to perform any marriages will probably ironically speed up the demise of the "religious accommodation" though, although there will be plenty of "everyone is being treated equal, nobody gets to get married here :smug:" before it's all over.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
The North Carolina thing is way less bothersome than the Kim Davis thing. That's just an issue of judges declining to perform marriage ceremonies, a problem that can be solved by having a friend, an Internet connection, a credit card, and like $15. Go online and have your friend ordained by Universal Life Church, and now they can perform the ceremony for you.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

deadly_pudding posted:

For heaven's sake, it's not like the civil rights acts of the 1960s squashed racial prejudice in hearts and minds. You build equality by eliminating barriers that perpetuate inequality, then the kids of all colors and sexual orientations get to hang out and realize they can all be buddies despite what their parents say. That's the dream, at least.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Macaroni posted:

For heaven's sake, it's not like the civil rights acts of the 1960s squashed racial prejudice in hearts and minds. You build equality by eliminating barriers that perpetuate inequality, then the kids of all colors and sexual orientations get to hang out and realize they can all be buddies despite what their parents say. That's the dream, at least.

Yeah, that's true. I guess all you can really hope for is that the machine just keeps on ticking. There's probably no way to prevent X% of the population from being weird regressive poo poo-heads. Looking at the last few hundred years of history, it seems like it's kind of hard-wired into us.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would have been better if the Elite Judge Corp raided Davis's office and forced her to issue the certs at gavel-point.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You've got me imagining what a war gavel might look like now.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Something out of WH40k. They've got a lot of euphemisms for "judgment" and similar words to mean evisceration of entire planets, so I can imagine a war(hammer) gavel to be some demolition sledgehammer. :black101:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
This is only going to go further if someone questions the legality of the licenses being issued now that say County Clerk instead of her name. No one WILL, but they should.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Grem posted:

This is only going to go further if someone questions the legality of the licenses being issued now that say County Clerk instead of her name. No one WILL, but they should.

Except aren't gay marriage licenses also going to exempt the County Clerk's office on them in favor of that pissy "This is being issued due to a court order" thing?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ReidRansom posted:

A nice mahogany and black steel Warhammer wielded by Justice Ginsburg as Judge Dredd.

Oh so Davis gave up after a week? Jesus must be so disappointed in her.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

Kim Davis caved, finally!

thefncrow posted:

The North Carolina thing is way less bothersome than the Kim Davis thing. That's just an issue of judges declining to perform marriage ceremonies, a problem that can be solved by having a friend, an Internet connection, a credit card, and like $15. Go online and have your friend ordained by Universal Life Church, and now they can perform the ceremony for you.

That county in NC is shipping in a magistrate from another county for the state mandated 10 hours per week. So it's a lovely county but gay people can still get married there by a magistrate. Alabama still sucks, though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/14/politics/kim-davis-same-sex-marriage-kentucky/index.html

quote:

(CNN)[Breaking news update, 11:15 a.m. ET]

Carmen and Shannon Wampler-Collins walked out of the Rowan County, Kentucky, clerk's office with a marriage license Monday morning. They were the first same-sex couple to apply for a marriage license since clerk Kim Davis returned to her job. Davis vowed not to issue licenses to gay couples, but said she wouldn't stop her deputies from doing so.

:woop:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
She's lucky she can't be fired, because she should be.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There is one thing that could make this a little sweeter, and that would be a statement by Huck or some other tool awkwardly trying to spin this as a victory for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

deadly_pudding posted:

The judge in this case opted for a very light touch. A bunch of right wing wackadoodles wanted the government to take a heavy hand so they could turn this into a [bigger] circus if not a violent incident. The government understood that and declined to give the Oath Keepers and friends what they wanted. Kim Davis does her job, the sky is not falling, the right wing goes home with blue balls and starts looking for another martyr while Davis' wingnut welfare quietly evaporates.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Kim Davis does her job

Is she really doing her job though? She's choosing not to do her job, but not to stop her deputies from doing her job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She completed caved. Haha. Good work federal judge.

• Locked thread