Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Desuwa posted:

Huh, when I read 131 I didn't pick up on the minds controlling physically separate bodies. I thought they were just deep in thought/mediation and not paying attention to what the body was doing.

Makes more sense this way.

No no, in Kumoko ch149 D says this attack is "system external", so there's no reason to think it has to be physical as Algid mentions earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

blastron posted:

On top of that, my dictionary is telling me that 食う has sixteen different definitions, and further Googling reveals that there's a ton of expressions that use that particular verb in fairly unique ways. If I had to take a wild guess, it's probably 食う as in "to receive" (similar to 食らう, the root form of the verb used when an anime character screams "take this") and thus would be better translated as "my mother's influence".
:goonsay:

In short, gently caress this language, and I hope someone who actually knows what their doing can tell me what the real answer is.

Just a tip, but for some of the more common expressions that aren't listed in the dictionaries (I assume you're using an online one? Which is all just a variation of JMdict anyway), you can try looking up the words used on the JLPT. Jgram and tanos.uk are helpful sources.

Googling also helps a lot, obviously.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
The references to LMS in Play to Live are pretty funny

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

blastron posted:

Hello I'm doing my part to make it easier to wade through the terrible garbage that we slog through:

http://blastron01.tumblr.com/tagged/kumoko/chrono

I'm hoping to get a chapter done every day. Feedback is always appreciated.

Just read up on this and its definitely way more readable. And your up to chapter 8 already, good job! Keep up the good work.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

spider girl story is great, just started reading it earlier but i find myself scrolling past the non-spider chapters

really just don't give a gently caress about the rest of her classmates at all

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Captain_duck posted:

Just read up on this and its definitely way more readable. And your up to chapter 8 already, good job! Keep up the good work.

Thank you! I'll be posting a chapter every weekday for as long as I can stand it.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Ze Tian Ji is awesome. It's a very atypical Chinese cultivation story, even more so than ISSTH. The main character still hasn't successfully cultivated.

This is delightful. There's a strange quality to Ze Tian Ji that reminds me of other works I've read but always had difficulty describing. Soothing might be a good start though. Like painted in faded water colors. In a way this feels more daoist than pretty much every other xianxia I've read.

The humor and emphasis on manners somehow reminds me of the novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. The conversations consisting of very short sentences, like at the end of the prologue and a few times later on, are just so simple, charming, but powerful.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 11, 2015

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

spider girl story is great, just started reading it earlier but i find myself scrolling past the non-spider chapters

really just don't give a gently caress about the rest of her classmates at all

In one of the authors Q&A chapters he addresses this, it's pretty funny.

quote:

Q, S series is boring
A, I-, it will become interesting from now on ((((;゜Д゜))))
Seriously speaking, the S series explains the world’s structure in a different viewpoint from the loner MC.
The contents will be like a briefing session for a while, but once the story starts to move, it will have early developments too.
Because this story will play an important role later, please keep reading it.

He's not lying they do tie together eventually. (I agree they're boring as gently caress though)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I thought they were boring in the beginning but once the characters were, oh I don't know, not babies, it got much more interesting. Especially when things tie back to Kumoko's experiences.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There's been 9 sidestory chapters since 200 and it still doesn't look like its about to end.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Kumoko picking up telepathy and language skills is going to become like Jee-Han from The Gamer taking points in Wisdom, I swear.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You assume that she would bother talking to people even if that happens.

I'm really wondering who Kumoko and D are supposed to be in their class, this whole thing with not having a name is weird.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

Kumoko picking up telepathy and language skills is going to become like Jee-Han from The Gamer taking points in Wisdom, I swear.

She doesn't know the names of half of her classmates and didn't even talk to her parents, lol if you think she'd ever talk to anyone on her own without a chat parser and internet anonymity in between

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Algid posted:

You assume that she would bother talking to people even if that happens.

I'm really wondering who Kumoko and D are supposed to be in their class, this whole thing with not having a name is weird.

I haven't read past ch200 yet, but it seems pretty certain that Kumoko is the thin, creepy girl "Rihoko" sleeping in front of Shun in S1. Maybe you mean her real name, though. D seems most likely to be Sasajima Kyouya by process of elimination, but there's a gender issue there, I guess. Unless I missed him being reported dead.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There is another candidate aside from Rihoko, read the description of Wakaba Hiiro in S22.

The problem with D and Kumoko is that process of elimination really doesn't leave much room for either of them. It reminds me of earlier on when Kumoko was wondering if she really died and reincarnated, or if she's puppeting a spider body from another dimension, or even if she's a spider with transplanted memories. That lack of a name is pretty suspicious.

HenryEx posted:

She doesn't know the names of half of her classmates and didn't even talk to her parents, lol if you think she'd ever talk to anyone on her own without a chat parser and internet anonymity in between
She didn't talk even then, that was one of the things she mentioned about her MMO character.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 13, 2015

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Algid posted:

There is another candidate aside from Rihoko, read the description of Wakaba Hiiro in S22.

Er? Isn't she confirmed dead through sensei's weird magical list? Thought that was why her name came up in the first place.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There's lots of ways to get around that, for one thing D would pretty much have to show up as dead since she's in Japan.

edit: I'm leaning towards Kumoko = D = Wakaba, the numbers don't add up otherwise.

Algid fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 13, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fleve posted:

This is delightful. There's a strange quality to Ze Tian Ji that reminds me of other works I've read but always had difficulty describing. Soothing might be a good start though. Like painted in faded water colors. In a way this feels more daoist than pretty much every other xianxia I've read.

The humor and emphasis on manners somehow reminds me of the novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. The conversations consisting of very short sentences, like at the end of the prologue and a few times later on, are just so simple, charming, but powerful.

King Shura has the same sort of feel, so if you haven't checked it out yet, you should.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

darkgray posted:

Er? Isn't she confirmed dead through sensei's weird magical list? Thought that was why her name came up in the first place.

I haven't read past the translation but I assume ruler's can block each others powers and searches. If that's true I can see blocking the search making her show up to sensei as missing/unlocatable and then being assumed dead. In that case I wouldn't be shocked if one or two of the other four dead students also reincarnated as monsters or maybe demons and were able to block the search.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

3 chapters came out today and things happen so a lot of that has just been answered.

NISSAN COMBINATION
Dec 7, 2013

Namtab posted:

Psycho love comedy book three - the main guys sister reunited with him - turnsout she's a yan dere

Wait, which series is this one?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tales of demons and gods is a mostly generic reincarnation story, with the mc reincarnating as himself in the past. However, it has the most remarkable twist. Basically, the mc keeps bribing people until they worship him. It isn't phrased as such, but that is absolutely what it is. Plus, he woos his lost love but she is now 13 years old and he is a creepy old man in a child's body. His suave technique consists of bribing her and hinting that he has seen her naked. It is unintentionally hilarious. It also uses the old crappy wuxia webnovel technique of having everyone who opposes the mc in any way being a doublehitler.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
What's the name of that spider novel?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

drilldo squirt posted:

What's the name of that spider novel?

Which one? There are so many!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Serious Frolicking posted:

Tales of demons and gods is a mostly generic reincarnation story, with the mc reincarnating as himself in the past. However, it has the most remarkable twist. Basically, the mc keeps bribing people until they worship him. It isn't phrased as such, but that is absolutely what it is. Plus, he woos his lost love but she is now 13 years old and he is a creepy old man in a child's body. His suave technique consists of bribing her and hinting that he has seen her naked. It is unintentionally hilarious. It also uses the old crappy wuxia webnovel technique of having everyone who opposes the mc in any way being a doublehitler.

Yepp. And instead of warning people about bad poo poo that'll happen, the guy just wanders around making absurd amounts of money and powering up himself and his crew.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The latest kumoko chapters are hilarious.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

"I don't have anything better to do and they keep giving me tasty snacks" is a good reason to become the protector-god of a fantasy village.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

This is like grinding reputation with a faction you don't care about just to get titles.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really look forward to Shun coming out the other side of the labyrinth and discovering that everyone there worships a magical healing spider goddess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I suspect this is leading to the last thing we've heard about the mystery spider, where it randomly showed up in the middle of a battle and made a mess.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I missed this through the machine translation but the alignment system was brought up again. First there was Hell from Pride, then Conviction from Patience. Now she got titles from gaining "purgation". Wonder how these things actually work.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Purgation actually might be fitting considering the skill she gained for it, but a cleaner and easier translation would probably just be "Cleansing".

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kumoko is just the best. Demon King and the Hero? Christ, that's some absurd power.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love how kumoko tried to go swimming, but found out that her spider body naturally floated, and then she found out after fishing that the only things in the sea are water monsters, which is why there are no fishing villages with hot muscular shirtless fishermen.

Then there is the fact that Kumoko is fully indulging in her love of sweet things with all the fruit she gathers.
The best part is that she is turning into a total foodie now that she is out of the labyrinth.
I wonder if she is going to use 'magic extremity' to try and cook her food with fire magic?

I loved her logic when it come to killing humans on the surface for experience: don't attack civilians, and allow adventurers and humans to attack first to avoid the wrath of the admins.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

I loved her logic when it come to killing humans on the surface for experience: don't attack civilians, and allow adventurers and humans to attack first to avoid the wrath of the admins.

It was a heavy blow when they decided to worship her instead. The sweets, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Kumoko is just the best. Demon King and the Hero? Christ, that's some absurd power.

If anyone ever actually successfully appraises her, they are going to be goddamn confused,

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 14, 2015

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

If anyone ever actually successfully appraises her, they are going to be goddamn confused,
Those are the just the skills not the titles, they're not unique, still probably pretty rare though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

They really are, drat. Kumoko is evolving into some kind of skill singularity. The worst heretic and a kind deity. The Alpha and Omega.

Also, how many people did she cure to go through all three ranks of the "cleanse things" titles already.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Oh my god, Sevens is amazing. It's your typical unassertive Japanese protagonist in fantasy land with 7 of his ancestors constantly ragging on him. Where I'd normally cringe at the protag being a little bitch, the ancestors do it for me. It is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh my god, Sevens is amazing. It's your typical unassertive Japanese protagonist in fantasy land with 7 of his ancestors constantly ragging on him. Where I'd normally cringe at the protag being a little bitch, the ancestors do it for me. It is wonderful.

I just want to know what the deal is with "You've sure done it, haven't you, eighth generation?"

• Locked thread