Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

Young Freud posted:

TBH, glass is glass while transparisteel is like transparent steel. It would depend on where it's used, like if one was used describing the material of a bar tumbler or what makes up the windows of a Star Destroyer.

This level of overthinking ruins a fantasy fiction setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'm reading Aftermath (the first new-canon book that takes place in the months following RoTJ). The author has been relatively good about keeping the number of pointless references to a minimum, though I've seen Naboo and the Trade Federation names thrown out there so far. He's also better about not having to create ridiculous names for real-world equivalents (you can just say glass, you don't HAVE to say transparisteel - one of the less egregious examples I can come up with off the top of my head from the older books). Overall pretty decent so far, seems to be a lot more focused than some of the older books.

Counterpoint: he refers to diapers as Space Diapers. Some of this writing is atrocious. I'm trying to get through it and ignore the writing quality and style for the story within, but it's genuinely hard.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

There was a guy who ran a successful company and died of old age in bed surrounded by loved ones.

lol
"good bye my precious son i hope you can follow in my footsteps and learn to use hatred and anger as magic powers..."

5er posted:

This level of overthinking ruins a fantasy fiction setting.

eeeehhhhhhhh having a word to describe something you can see through but can't break easily is OK
glass has a connotation of being brittle that you might not want something to have

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Now, durasteel for "steel that's hard to break" is loving stupid.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i didn't say transparisteel wasn't a stupid name
really using portmanteau for fantasy materials is a BAD idea unless you WANT your stuff to sound like a literal child named them

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
One of the "Space____" made up names that annoyed me was one of the books had Luke ordering a plate of "Ribenes in a tangy sauce." Just say ribs, it's ok.

Also Caf

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

i didn't say transparisteel wasn't a stupid name
really using portmanteau for fantasy materials is a BAD idea unless you WANT your stuff to sound like a literal child named them

And yet, our world is full of those very things. Soy milk? Veggie burgers? Fiberglass? Cardboard?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It was so bad in the original EU that it was actually jarring when they used a normal name for something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

homullus posted:

And yet, our world is full of those very things. Soy milk? Veggie burgers? Fiberglass? Cardboard?

there's a degree of difference, especially since none of those drop letters to squeeze words together.
there's a difference between star war or lightsaber and st'war and lisaber

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Listening to the Dawn of the Jedi audiobook, I notice that one of the characters mentions "sea beef." Like, from a sea cow? A manatee?

Omigod they're eating an endangered species :ohdear:

E: Also the protagonist is incredibly Mary Suish, with lots of strengths and no discernible flaws (as of Chapter 3, at least). It's very annoying.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 14, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

there's a degree of difference, especially since none of those drop letters to squeeze words together.

appletini
spork
gasohol
liger

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Acne Rain posted:

eeeehhhhhhhh having a word to describe something you can see through but can't break easily is OK
glass has a connotation of being brittle that you might not want something to have

ehhhhhhhh when are you required to think about this in the actual movies, ever?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Acne Rain posted:

The country Tanzania
Eurasia
Microsoft
Gorgonzola
Velcro
Gerrymandering
Advertorial
Infomercial
Jackalope
Affluenza
Jorts
Brunch
Literotica
Cosplay
Cheeseburger
Brainiac
Motorcycle
Paratrooper
Snark

Transparisteel sounds pretty realistic honestly if a modern company were to invent such a material.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Listening to the Dawn of the Jedi audiobook, I notice that one of the characters mentions "sea beef." Like, from a sea cow? A manatee?

Omigod they're eating an endangered species :ohdear:

E: Also the protagonist is incredibly Mary Suish, with lots of strengths and no discernible flaws (as of Chapter 3, at least). It's very annoying.

There were intelligent whales that got harvested in the Jedi Prince series of books, which featured Triocculus, a guy who pretended to be Palpatine's son and Triclops Palpatine's legitimate three eyed son whose brain was hooked up to a satellite or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Namarrgon posted:

The country Tanzania
Eurasia
Microsoft
Gorgonzola
Velcro
Gerrymandering
Advertorial
Infomercial
Jackalope
Affluenza
Jorts
Brunch
Literotica
Cosplay
Cheeseburger
Brainiac
Motorcycle
Paratrooper
Snark

Transparisteel sounds pretty realistic honestly if a modern company were to invent such a material.
well yeah it just comes down to taste

i thought the same thing about "unobtanium" in avatar but no one else did

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

elestupendojudio posted:

Counterpoint: he refers to diapers as Space Diapers. Some of this writing is atrocious. I'm trying to get through it and ignore the writing quality and style for the story within, but it's genuinely hard.

listen man if you expect competent writing in a Star Wars novel I don't even know what to tell you

the constant use of present-tense is a little weird, TBH, although I do get a chuckle from the amount of nerdrage that's probably pouring out of Wookiepedia, considering how anal they are about every single article being written in the past tense.

I do kind of like Teen Angst HK-47, but that's probably mostly because he reminds me of regular HK-47. Kind of like IG-90 in the new Marvel comics.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

listen man if you expect competent writing in a Star Wars novel I don't even know what to tell you

the constant use of present-tense is a little weird, TBH, although I do get a chuckle from the amount of nerdrage that's probably pouring out of Wookiepedia, considering how anal they are about every single article being written in the past tense.

I do kind of like Teen Angst HK-47, but that's probably mostly because he reminds me of regular HK-47. Kind of like IG-90 in the new Marvel comics.

HK-47 is in the new stuff?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

"Do or do not, there is no try."
"Again the weird syntax, you grin meshuggeneh."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

HK-47 is in the new stuff?

I wish, although IIRC Bioware got explicitly vague non-answers from Disney regarding their status as canon, so it's not impossible!

One of the main characters has a repurposed trade federation battle droid named Mr. Bones that's painted black, covered with animal bones, etc. and likes to hurt people and I like to imagine it talking like HK-47 and using the"query:/statement:/etc" style of speaking

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's really dumb that they're making books and comics to bridge the gap but gotta make that green. all the people that eat this poo poo up are the worst kind of fan.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really dumb that they're making books and comics to bridge the gap but gotta make that green. all the people that eat this poo poo up are the worst kind of fan.

The comics are cool and good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

They've been doing it since before Empire Strikes Back came out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

the celebrants on coruscant being cut down by imperial police is george lucas levels of hilarity. it's a space fairy tale not a political thriller.

They've been doing it since before Empire Strikes Back came out.

and the holiday special is unmitigated trash to the point lucas wants every copy destroyed.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the celebrants on coruscant being cut down by imperial police is george lucas levels of hilarity. it's a space fairy tale not a political thriller.

and the holiday special is unmitigated trash to the point lucas wants every copy destroyed.

holiday special was a movie, I meant they've been doing books to bridge gaps since literally before there were gaps to bridge, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was a sequel to ANH before they knew they were gonna make Empire

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i dunno how possible low budget sequel to failed star wars that was never considered as part of the larger story by the time it was published is comparable to tons of lovely media to bridge a gap between two movies that doesn't need bridging since you should be able to pick up what occurred through context when you watch the new movie.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno how possible low budget sequel to failed star wars that was never considered as part of the larger story by the time it was published is comparable to tons of lovely media to bridge a gap between two movies that doesn't need bridging since you should be able to pick up what occurred through context when you watch the new movie.

my point is that there's about 30 years of books/comics that cover thousands of years before and like 100 years after the movies so this is kind of a random time to be complaining about 2 comic book series and like 4 books as "tons of lovely media" especially since the 2 comics are really very good

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was talking more the Star Wars/Vader alternating series. Those are excellent and aren't the typical EU trash.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my point is that there's about 30 years of books/comics that cover thousands of years before and like 100 years after the movies so this is kind of a random time to be complaining about 2 comic book series and like 4 books as "tons of lovely media" especially since the 2 comics are really very good

those were all bad too. it's all bad. the only good thing are the original three movies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

those were all bad too. it's all bad. the only good thing are the original three movies.

e: actually I'm changing my response to :goonsay: I hope you can understand why

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 15, 2015

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Loden Taylor posted:

I went and looked again and you're right.

Even when he's got an idea that's not completely incompetent he has to go back and gently caress it up.

Why would Palpatine place an order for a Clone Army using a play on his Sith name? Also where did he get the money/funds for that?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

quote:

Breasts were the mammary glands of mammalian species and some reptomammals, and were normally a distinguishing feature of the female of the species. Males did have breasts, but they were far less developed than their female counterparts due to the sexual dimorphism.

why is it in past tense

what happened to the tits

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I can't wait until December 18th, 2015 when we can finally put all this EU and Prequel nonsense behind us at last.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Lol if you are over 25 and read any kind of EU media. Just loving lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

e: actually I'm changing my response to :goonsay: I hope you can understand why

goonsay is for the types that care about the minutiae of the universe and gobble up all the eu poo poo and don't understand the original movies aren't classics because of star destroyers or x-wings.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Vermilion hells!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

goonsay is for the types that care about the minutiae of the universe and gobble up all the eu poo poo and don't understand the original movies aren't classics because of star destroyers or x-wings.

:goonsay:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they came from...behind...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

facebook jihad posted:

if you are "only" 23 and read EU media, you are still a super-cool sexhaver

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TK-42-1 posted:

For a clown to read

Between shows at the circus

IDIOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

One of the main characters has a repurposed trade federation battle droid named Mr. Bones that's painted black, covered with animal bones, etc. and likes to hurt people and I like to imagine it talking like HK-47 and using the"query:/statement:/etc" style of speaking

Confirmed: This character is cool and good. Mostly just the space diapers things annoy me. JUST SAY DIAPERS YOU DORK.

• Locked thread