Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nodoze posted:

I have bad news for you

??? Since when are Subarus hard to work on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I'm not reading 11 pages of you assholes drunk shitposting since I was sailing and didn't have access to to the internet for the whole weekend.

That said, who is excited for Forza coming out tomorrow!? Gamertag: superducky

You may now return to posting about rakes or whatever.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How over-underengineered was the stock VW setup that fully adjustable heim joints and machined rods is a simplification?

If you dont already know then you really dont want to.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

If you dont already know then you really dont want to.

Pretty much this. It makes my loving head hurt looking at it.

Finally texted you back, work got loving crazy at the end of the day.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I got lucky with my Rocco. It was previously owned by two engineers that fixed any little problem it had including fresh motor mounts and shift linkage right before I bought it. He even got a real leather shift boot to replace the lovely pleather one that comes stock.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

I got lucky with my Rocco. It was previously owned by two engineers that fixed any little problem it had including fresh motor mounts and shift linkage right before I bought it. He even got a real leather shift boot to replace the lovely pleather one that comes stock.

Yeah,not this loving thing. I'll take some pictures later and show what they thought making a racecar entailed.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How over-underengineered was the stock VW setup that fully adjustable heim joints and machined rods is a simplification?

This over-complicated monstrosity is what VW thinks a PCV Valve looks like:

Yes, it fails all the time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hahaha oh my god, whats that off of?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Fart Pipe posted:

Hahaha oh my god, whats that off of?

The 2.0l TSI found in just about every car they make. That particular one is from an '08 GTI.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im so glad my cutoff for working on them is early 00s, gently caress that poo poo.

e: gently caress the 90s ones too but I at least know them a little.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tusen Takk posted:

The only problem I've had with my ION is the trans when I first got it, and the A/C that just went out.

granted, it still has less than 100k on it :v:

On my ION (.... it's Ion, damnit) I've had my serpentine belt split in half, followed shortly by the belt coming apart (granted, it was supposed to be replaced at 100k, and it broke around 105k - the tensioner has what looks like a casting flaw that ate through the belt), had my thermostat stick open (kept driving it for a year like that, for most of that time it would only bitch and throw a CEL in the winter until very recently, so I finally replaced it), and my fuel pump took a poo poo (covered by an extended warranty - fittings cracked and it started pissing fuel from the top of the tank). I've also had one of the coils take a poo poo on me, which left me with 2 cylinders firing. Unplugged the injectors for the two cylinders that weren't firing and drove to a junkyard to get another ignition cassette (the L61 uses 2 coils in a batch fire configuration, so if one coil shits, you lose 2 cylinders).

Even when the belt broke though, it didn't leave me stranded. The water pump is driven by the timing chain, so it was more of a "poo poo, I have to drive it 20 miles to my mechanic without working a/c and without an alternator, I should pull the fuse for the electric power steering to make sure I don't completely kill the battery" inconvenience.

I'm pretty drat annoyed that my sunroof broke though, that's going to cost a decent amount to fix. :sigh: It still opens and closes with some help, but makes some ugly noises doing so.

Broke 121k today on mine, bought it with 66k.

It could use motor mounts in the next year, and the a/c compressor is getting noisy, but it's close to paid off, and it still uses roughly zero oil between oil changes (it has a minor leak from the valve cover, but between that and whatever it burns, it's little enough that I've never had to add oil between oil changes). Last time I was under it I found an inspection hole in the bellhousing, and noticed the clutch is fairly worn, but I'd say I have 1-2 years left (assuming I keep doing delivery, otherwise probably 5 years) before it starts slipping.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 15, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Fart Pipe posted:

Im so glad my cutoff for working on them is early 00s, gently caress that poo poo.

e: gently caress the 90s ones too but I at least know them a little.

Wish I had done that*, bought an '08 GTI and now I'm destined to a life of constantly topping off the oil because it's constantly burning it, and occasionally checking the cam follower for the high pressure fuel pump because if you don't there is a danger of the fuel pump pin wearing a hole in the follower and then scoring a big groove in your camshaft.

Oh there is also this:

See that silver ring around the shift pattern? Yeah, that's aluminum. Take a guess how loving hot that ring gets during the summer.

*Not really, the car is a blast to drive and I kind of love it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MustardFacial posted:

Wish I had done that*, bought an '08 GTI and now I'm destined to a life of constantly topping off the oil because it's constantly burning it, and occasionally checking the cam follower for the high pressure fuel pump because if you don't there is a danger of the fuel pump pin wearing a hole in the follower and then scoring a big groove in your camshaft.

Oh there is also this:

See that silver ring around the shift pattern? Yeah, that's aluminum. Take a guess how loving hot that ring gets during the summer.

*Not really, the car is a blast to drive and I kind of love it.

Meh, look this:

gently caress you subaru.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Since you guys are bitching about new cars, the Fiat500L pushed itsway into my top 5 least favorite oil changes. two different types of screws to get the lower splash guard off, and then you have to go ahead and disconnect all the valves from the air box, take out the top half of the airbox, to get to the filter and it takes 5w40 synthetic. Customer was bitching that it didnt end up being the advertised 19.95* and that it took over an hour to do with Napa taking a good portion of the time bringing me the filter.

Car only had 27k on her and already had torched front rotors and was leaking oil into the airbox from the turbo. Made in Serbia indeed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have this one:

There is enough leather where I can usually not touch the hot parts in the summer. But sometimes you forget.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
All of the silver on that gear shift is aluminum and just as hot so I can't grip the sides. I've taken to just putting a sock over the gear shift in the summer. That seems to work pretty well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Has any one ever rebuilt a steering rack before? I think I could give it a shot, it looks mostly like a clean work space, assortment of extensions and dental picks to pull seals.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

??? Since when are Subarus hard to work on?

In the Northeast

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When I moved to CA and had some suspension work done my mechanic asked "what did you do to this thing?" Car was 4 years old. Blow torches were used.

MustardFacial posted:

All of the silver on that gear shift is aluminum and just as hot so I can't grip the sides. I've taken to just putting a sock over the gear shift in the summer. That seems to work pretty well.

So it mine. You can't see, but below that 1/2in of leather is is metal all the way to the boot.
When I lived in Minnesota if I parked outside when it was -20, it was actually worse than 110f weather.
Stupid metal gear shifts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Protip.

If you're going to order pizza online to be delivered to your workplace (or really, to anything where one address serves more than one person)...

#1, give a suite/office/whatever # if the address has more than one business (in this case, 15 businesses)
#2, give a working phone #. The # on the order was disconnected. I'm not going to walk through an entire shopping center to figure out which business ordered pizza in the middle of lunch rush. There are over 50 storefronts in that shopping center, though they do get split up a bit depending what section of the shopping center they're in (each section has its own street address, though most of our drivers don't know this - Google Maps just plops you into the parking lot for the entire center).
#3, if you see a guy walking around asking the most common customers in that shopping center if they've ordered a pizza, while holding a pizza, it would be helpful if you step outside and speak up. We only have two regulars in that entire center, so those were the two I went to.

Customer did eventually call to ask about their order, apparently they mistyped their phone # (yathink? I was getting a 1970s landline "this number is disconnected" message instead of the "The <mobile phone carrier> number you are trying to reach is not in service"). Making it better, the website still asks if it's a business, apartment, house, etc, and "House" was selected. There are plenty of places you can enter info about where you're at when you do an online order as well.

:fuckoff:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I had this fucker in my 5.0, no mercy. It was worth it though cause look at how awesome it looks.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Has any one ever rebuilt a steering rack before? I think I could give it a shot, it looks mostly like a clean work space, assortment of extensions and dental picks to pull seals.

What car?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
PO had an aluminum knob in my mini and I had to get one of my friends old stock knobs because I got tired of burning my hand so much

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1978 JJJJJJAAAAGGGGGG XJ-S. Looking at the kit it doesn't look awful, but I am wondering if its worth paying some one else to do it. I'd just like to take a crack at it myself.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Take a crack at it yourself and when you gently caress it up pay someone else to do it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fart Pipe posted:

I had this fucker in my 5.0, no mercy. It was worth it though cause look at how awesome it looks.

I have this and it sucks in the winter and the summer

looks good though :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Wow. They kicked out his loving parents?

Yeah, we figured it was just for family of the bride & groom, but then when we went to dinner at the restaurant across the parking lot from the hotel and ran into his parents, sister & family it all clicked.

Never got a thank you letter in the mail for the $200 worth of wedding presents either. But as a consolation prize a mutual friend and I both got death threat letters (not even joking, she literally wrote "if I ever see you again I will cut you like a pig and gut you like a fish") in the mail from his bitch wife about two months later because we "ruined her wedding" by asking the wedding planner if we could do a toast at the 45 minute long church social hour that everyone was allowed to attend immediately following the ceremony. Didn't actually do it - we just asked and accepted the "no, that's not in the plans" answer and apparently the wedding planner was a close friend of the family and was greatly offended that we would even ask.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 15, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geeze, I take a break for a few days and you guys post all up in here.

mafoose posted:

Got a link or anything that says this? All I can find is something saying 25 years, which is up in 2 months...

I would love the Canadian static belts.

No, I don't. It very well may be 25 years.

Brigdh posted:

In the US market, the S4 FCs had static belts, the S5s had the motorized ones. The S4 belts are a straight swap into a S5 chassis. You should be able to find the S4 belts at a local junkyard.

Also get the A-pillar trim, the B-pillar trim 9upper and lower), and the headliner. And you will need to use a spot-weld drill to remove a bunch of welded on mounting tabs for the Series 5 trim.
Been there, done that, still looking for a burgundy sunroof S4 headliner.

quote:

As far as the warranty, its for the life of the vehicle. See the official letter linked here: http://fc3spro.com/TECH/PROBLEMS/INT/sbelt.htm
You may need to argue it with the dealership through. They'll probably look up your VIN, tell you the recall was done, and say that recalls are only done once so you are screwed. You'll have to point out the lines at the bottom of the letter saying that the motor, etc are warrantied for life. I was lucky to be able to convince them without needing to call MNAO. I think it took 4 weeks for the parts to come in.

Well, there ya go.

some texas redneck posted:

I'd still consider that a fail, personally. Disaster or not, there should be something handling DHCP. Having to run around to every workstation in an actual disaster event to manually enter IPs and DNS is just a lot of extra work, adds another layer for human error, and hinders productivity (even more than the disaster itself, if the site is close enough that your staff can show up within an hour or two).

I assume this was a cold site that was being tested, not warm or hot, right? :ohdear: I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat; every company needs to test their disaster recovery plans regularly, and it sounds like you found some flaws with the plans your employer has in a practice run, instead of the real thing, which is good.

<snip>

:cripes: One domain controller for 15k employees? No backup controller?

I mean, I'm familiar with your employer (and definitely their reluctance to change), but I'm kinda amazed they've made it this long without something ugly happening. :stare: I've worked in places with 150 employees that had a backup DC.

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking there - we definitely have multiple DCs. One for every facility, at the very least, and multiples at the IS location. I assume that they do failover testing for the production DCs more often.
And yeah, cold site, restore from scratch. I'm thinking that DHCP was left out simply because there were only going to be 20 end-user devices connected at most, so it wasn't in scope for this test. We're basically just working on the back-end recovery, and enough PCs for end-user testing of said back end. Keep in mind I'm just a desktop guy, so I don't have a deep involvement in anything beyond the PC on that desk, there.

Powershift posted:

god drat, the mad max game is janky as poo poo and slow as balls. it's like the creators have never played a video game or seen the movie.

Really? Seems to work fine on the XBone. Stutters occasionally from something going on in the background, but not very often. I'm enjoying the gameplay.

Powershift posted:

Yeah but all the on foot stuff is slow as hell and it keeps forcing you to get out of the car, and climbing ladders only works half the time and there's more bullshit talking in the first 5 minutes of the game than there is in the entire movie.

and there is no flow, it cuts to black to show you an animation of you getting water FFS. you have to hold the buttons to do any action instead of just pressing them for whatever reason. and all the upgrades are locked behind 3 different levels of bullshit.

I don't mind the out-of-car combat/quest stuff. Ladders work fine on XBone, can't speak for PC or whatever. Agree on the cut to the "do stuff" animations. It also resets the camera, so you have to look around before moving, since your usually not looking where you were. that, and some glitches here and there with respect to pick-up item/action labels. Sometimes some weirdness with collision detection where poo poo will just go shooting off at high speed in a random direction, but most games seem to have that now and then.

e: what in the gently caress happened in here on Thursday?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 15, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

Yeah, we figured it was just for family of the bride & groom, but then when we went to dinner at the restaurant across the parking lot from the hotel and ran into his parents, sister & family it all clicked.

Never got a thank you letter in the mail for the $200 worth of wedding presents either. But as a consolation prize a mutual friend and I both got death threat letters (not even joking, she literally wrote "if I ever see you again I will cut you like a pig and gut you like a fish") in the mail from his bitch wife about two months later because we "ruined her wedding" by asking the wedding planner if we could do a toast at the 45 minute long church social hour that everyone was allowed to attend immediately following the ceremony. Didn't actually do it - we just asked and accepted the "no, that's not in the plans" answer and apparently the wedding planner was a close friend of the family and was greatly offended that we would even ask.

Please tell me you guys submitted the letters to the police, pleaseee

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

Take a crack at it yourself and when you gently caress it up pay someone else to do it.

I figured its already hosed, whats the worse that I am going to do?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

Please tell me you guys submitted the letters to the police, pleaseee

The mutual friend got a 6 month TRO against her because he literally lived four blocks away from his parents - not that it matters, 10 years later they still haven't visited because she claims to be "allergic to the north." I spoke with an attorney who said it wouldn't be worth going to court over, as it was highly likely the restraining order would be denied based on having several states between us and me not living anywhere close to places they might visit here.

I should also add that they met while he was deployed in Iraq and about 75% of their relationship before getting engaged was over instant messenger. Don't get married when you're in the military.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Geoj posted:

Bridezilla there sounds like a real winner. Does she like to eat? Because her threat sounded vaguely food-related. All she needed was a "...then I'll hang your corpses for 40 days to dry age and carve you up into delicious steaks!" to complete the analogy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

:catstare: I hope he's getting some of that sweet inheritance cash. Because she wasn't worth it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

You bastard. I fly to Chicago for my brother's wedding on Wednesday and will be there until Sunday. :argh:

Wow, that's harsh. I went to a good friend from college's wedding at the start of last month and am really glad I did. Hadn't seen her in forever, and unexpectedly met the most amazing woman there.

If I ever end up getting married I'm all for keeping it simple and throwing that money at house stuff or a barn/shop/airplane/who knows what, but it's not entirely my decision clearly so who knows.

Hey man, if you make it out to the suburbs at all, give me a shout. We can drink some beer and scrounge around in that junkyard.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking there - we definitely have multiple DCs. One for every facility, at the very least, and multiples at the IS location. I assume that they do failover testing for the production DCs more often.
And yeah, cold site, restore from scratch. I'm thinking that DHCP was left out simply because there were only going to be 20 end-user devices connected at most, so it wasn't in scope for this test. We're basically just working on the back-end recovery, and enough PCs for end-user testing of said back end. Keep in mind I'm just a desktop guy, so I don't have a deep involvement in anything beyond the PC on that desk, there.

When a $35 consumer-grade router can handle DHCP for 20 devices (we have about that many in the house), and an enterprise DC can't, you have issues. :colbert: Good thing it was a test.

The only issue I have at home is the switch takes a whole 2-3 seconds to start up, while the router takes about a minute - so if everything turns back on when the power comes back on, a large chunk of stuff winds up with APIPA addresses. Until I power off both the switch and router, then power up the router, wait for it to finish starting up and getting an IP, then power up the switch. All of the PCs in the house are set to "state before power failure" for power stuff - so if they were on before the power went out, they power back on as soon as the power comes back on. If they were off, they remain off.

Thankfully our power doesn't go out often, but I think I'm going to get a small UPS for the modem and router (hell, mainly the router). I'm sure I could figure out some kind of timer or whatever to allow the modem and router to power up together, wait a couple of minutes, then power up the switch, but :effort: and :20bux:. That or I could just assign static DHCP leases, but that's also :effort:, and would still require setting the PCs to not power back on after a power failure. Which would suck, since we have three HTPC PCs serving as DVRs in the house. I could always do static IPs on the PCs themselves, but it's a lot easier to do everything via DHCP.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Yes.

For anyone who hasn't felt the desire to punch their monitor today:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13713677.Joys_of_pootling_along_in_the_car/?ref=mr&lp=4

"Comments are closed on this article". Yeah, I bet they are. Can't be arsed to hear about how much of a oval office you are.
"You don't get boy racers in a Fiat 500." WHAT.

I bet if the guy had scratched a pair of Ferragamo shoes you would have lost your poo poo.

Why is it impressive or desirable to show off your wealth buying shoes with a fancy name and Italian leather when you can't walk any further in them?

Surely a lady confident in her lady credentials would be happy in a pair of Converse, walking comfortably down the street, winking at the men going by as she shows how sensible she is by not wearing ostentatious, useless shoes.

The level of fancy of the shoe is in direct proportion to the level of morality of the wearer. You don't get haughty bitches in sneakers.

Ostentatious shoes worn selfishly by the unthinking are a accessorized symbol of all that's wrong with this wealth divided world. And don't get me started on Ugg boots in the city.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
Is there a "Hot Rod Drag Week Chat Thread" hiding in AI somewhere?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

The level of fancy of the shoe is in direct proportion to the level of morality of the wearer. You don't get haughty bitches in sneakers.

I've never dated anyone - male or female (and I've had more girlfriends than the average gay guy [3]) - that wouldn't wear sneakers.

If you're not comfortable in Chucks, a t-shirt, and shorts, you're too haughty for me - guy or girl. I absolutely refuse to date anyone who considers "dress shirt" to be worn outside of work.

(probably explains why I'm forever alone, but I'm most comfortable in a tank top and shorts, coupled with either sandals or skate shoes)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Marauder Stig posted:

Is there a "Hot Rod Drag Week Chat Thread" hiding in AI somewhere?

These days it seems you'd be more likely to find corollachat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geoj posted:

Don't get married when you're in the military.

I am always amazed that I won that lottery. 8 crazy years in March!

• Locked thread