Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
gently caress, I was going to suggest Commando but I guess it's no longer on Netflix. Instead, watch Conan the Barbarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Bad Timing and Kagemusha are in the "best of the 80s" category.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Franchescanado posted:

What are some good 80's As gently caress movies on Netlfix?

Or the best movies of the 80's on Netflix?
Going by the information on instantwatcher and just doing a big listdump because fuuuuuck explaining all of them:

Definitively '80s films which may or may not be films I consider good:
  • Nine to Five (1980)
  • Popeye (1980)
  • 48 Hrs. (1981)
  • Rocky III (1982)
  • Flashdance (1983)
  • Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
  • Footloose (1984)
  • Johnny Dangerously (1984)
  • Children of the Corn (1984)
  • Top Secret! (1984)
  • Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985)
  • Rocky IV (1985)
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
  • Top Gun (1986)
  • Dirty Dancing (1987)
  • Fatal Attraction (1987)
  • Masters of the Universe (1987)
  • Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)
  • The Naked Gun (1988)
  • Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)
  • Twins (1988)
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
  • Heathers (1989)
  • Road House (1989)

Worth watching independent of the '80s thing:

• The Blues Brothers (1980)
  • Thief (1981)
  • Conan the Barbarian (1982)
  • Rambo: First Blood (1982)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
  • The Brother from Another Planet (1984)
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
  • The Terminator (1984)
  • This is Spinal Tap (1984)
  • Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985)
  • Re-Animator (1985)
  • Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
  • Blue Velvet (1986)
  • Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
  • Hellraiser (1987)
  • The Thin Blue Line (1988)
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
  • The Cook, The Theif, His Wife, and Her Lover (1989)
  • The Killer (1989)

And I note that netflix currently has One from the Heart (1982), which is worth watching just because it's the film that killed Coppola's career (it's not a bad film, it's just totally overblown, in pretty much precisely the same way Scorsese's New York, New York (1977) is).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Coppola's career didn't really die, though? I mean, he had to do Godfather 3 for money, but he had Dracula right after that, which was huge.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Coppola's career didn't really die, though? I mean, he had to do Godfather 3 for money, but he had Dracula right after that, which was huge.
He went from being one of the most influential directors in Hollywood to being a bankrupt punchline who had to beg for work for the better part of the next two decades. If that's not a career dying, it's definitely a career coughing up blood and needing to be defibrillated.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

K. Waste posted:

In a rudimentary sense, the film is about how the human characters project political and interpersonal consciousness onto the dogs. The 'real story' is that the dogs merely behave aggressively towards figures that endanger them or hold them captive. By making things 'political' (like, by making it seem that the dogs have become racist against white people... I, I mean humans), society obfuscates what is actually a very clear hierarchal caste system where the untouchable 'mongrels' are systematically and automatically abused, and where the perpetrators of this violence are essentially the 'humanity' that is superficially defined as more civilized superior.

Again, I don't think this is the case because these are some of the most human dogs outside a Disney movie. The dogs are intentionally shot that way. They longingly look at their friend dogs in danger, they save each other, Hagen seems to understand what death is and that dogs are being put to sleep at the shelter, Hagen understands what a gun is, seemingly seeks out those who have wronged him and cathartically kills them. On top of all that the dogs are filmed in a way where they are portrayed as profoundly emotional beings and act more like intelligent children than animals. What you're describing is a much smarter and more interesting movie than White God.

And again, if it were meant to be a fairy tale, that's okay, but it's contradictory to be both a fairy tale with people-dogs and also be about people projecting humanity onto dogs.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
i watched food fight. rather i started watching it then just let it run to completion while playing on my phone and doing other things. any other things. i almost cleaned the flat and washed the dishes. to say this film is bad, is like saying manos is bad. only manos was made by a bunch of unknowns and is hilarious. this had charlie sheen, christopher lloyd, eva longoria, it came out at a time when cgi kids films are bread and butter and are almost guaranteed to do well. to put the 2012 release date in perspective, skip to a random moment in foodfight and watch 5 minutes. then put on brave or wreck it ralph and skip randomly and watch it for 5 minutes. its like upgrading from vhs to bluray. parts of foodfight look like it was made in mspaint. by gbs. i cant comment on the story because it was so terrible i don't know what it is. i can't talk about the characters because they're all blurred (literally a lot of the time) into one soulless entity.

i don't know what kid would want to see this. even those crappy barbie and my little pony or whatever straight to dvd cgi animation things you find lurking in the bottom of the budget dvd sections of stores seem like the godfather compared to this pos. its not even funny haha bad. its just bad. it has no redeeming features except for the few laughs you get at the ridiculous way some of the characters move around the screen. when i bought my first pc in the 90s there was this program that came with it called the spiderman cartoon maker. the way you got people to move in spiderman cartoon maker is the closest i can describe some of the way these characters move.

i doubt i could talk charlie sheen and hillary duff into voicing some of the spiderman cartoons my 12 year old self made though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THuctqMXis

here is a cartoon better than foodfight made in spiderman cartoon maker.

space-man fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 12, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

What are some good 80's As gently caress movies on Netlfix?

Or the best movies of the 80's on Netflix?

American Ninja 2!

In a completely unrelated note The Dead Lands was cool. It's fun to watch a bunch of almost naked people murder each other and they really managed to make the dude playing the warrior character intimidating as hell.

A quick google tells me he was the guy who played the Orc commander in the fellowship too.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 12, 2015

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

American Ninja 2!
Seconded. Not only is it about ninja super soldiers created in a lab, it's got Steve James looking jacked and badass as gently caress.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Calico Heart posted:

Again, I don't think this is the case because these are some of the most human dogs outside a Disney movie. The dogs are intentionally shot that way. They longingly look at their friend dogs in danger, they save each other, Hagen seems to understand what death is and that dogs are being put to sleep at the shelter, Hagen understands what a gun is, seemingly seeks out those who have wronged him and cathartically kills them. On top of all that the dogs are filmed in a way where they are portrayed as profoundly emotional beings and act more like intelligent children than animals. What you're describing is a much smarter and more interesting movie than White God.

And again, if it were meant to be a fairy tale, that's okay, but it's contradictory to be both a fairy tale with people-dogs and also be about people projecting humanity onto dogs.

Not really, that's just deconstruction. The final image, of Lili and her father literally lying down with dogs, is the tell. It's not the dogs that are 'like people,' it's the people who are like dogs. Animals in the throws of a seemingly cruel and uncaring universe, imposing oppressive order and hierarchy to amass privilege/territory/resources and gain 'natural' supremacy. The difference between the humans and dogs in the film is the projection of the former onto the latter. Hagen's perspective is that of 'all dogs' because within this power structure, the dogs don't possess unique identity. They are rendered completely invisible as an underclass: Registered by the government, ignored by passersby, abused by uncaring shop-keeps, exploited by gangsters and criminals, thrown into prisons where their only hope is the 'mercy' of their human overlords, etc. It's the same metaphor as Django Unchained (another fairy-tale, that one derivative of Volsungasaga, Die Nibelungen, and Die Zauberflote). The slaves themselves are just a massive, monolithic underclass that doesn't possess unique identity, and Django and Broomhilda's identities function purely as vicarious projection. Fundamentally both innocent and diabolical, Django and Hagen are only responding to the violent stimulus of their white supremacist societies in arbitrary and indirect ways. These take on hyperbolic political significance only because 'revolution' is what the white supremacist state and media wants to see in order to rationalize its continued supremacy over the 'mongrel hordes.'

The key scene, the one that opens and provides the 'false climax' of the film, is the one where Lili is being seemingly chased by the mongrels. In this opening, Hagen literally doesn't even exist yet. He's a manifestation of Lili's desire, but before that moment, he's nowhere to be seen in this mass of animals that want to tear her limp from limp. But what actually occurs in the scene, as revealed later, is that the horde bypasses her completely, just like they do the cowering commuters in the tunnel and on the main streets. Ultimately, Lili manages to both 'follow' Hagen's campaign of revenge, but also intercept him before he can reach her father's factory, more evidence that Hagen only ever manifests as Lili's projection. This naturally makes the circumstances of the opening scene even more confusing: Who were these dogs? Where were they going? Why wasn't Hagen amongst them? If this is a systematic campaign, then why doesn't Mundruczó show Hagen 'barking orders' and such? Why are they just these seemingly indiscriminate, random hordes of angry hounds? Why does Mundruczó emphasize Hagen as a unique character so consistently throughout the first two-thirds of the movie, but then virtually obfuscate entirely his role in this supposed rebellion, except as it applies to Lili?

Again, I feel it's a problem of advertising. The trailer does a really bad job of making the film seem like Rise of the Planet of the Apes with dogs, but it's really just a pretentious Hungarian art film. There's literally no rational explanation for why anything happens in the movie except for 'magic' and metaphor. Lili's performance is flat and expressionless because, like Hagen, she's just a 'blank slate' for collective experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I'm too American for my own good but sometimes while watching Narcos I wonder why they didn't just drop a bomb on Pablo Escobars insane prison.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

NESguerilla posted:

Maybe I'm too American for my own good but sometimes while watching Narcos I wonder why they didn't just drop a bomb on Pablo Escobars insane prison.

He wasn't democratically elected and communist-leaning so Reagan wasn't going to care, and Bush the First was spending all his Latin America intervention money on acne cream and Van Halen CDs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, I meant why didn't the Colombian government just blow up his prison the second he showed up there?

The American part was just that I'm used to seeing things that cause problems get exploded.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

NESguerilla posted:

Oh, I meant why didn't the Colombian government just blow up his prison the second he showed up there?

The American part was just that I'm used to seeing things that cause problems get exploded.

That assumes there was anyone with enough authority in Colombia that Escobar wasn't already paying off. That crazy prison was the Colombian government's idea! "Surrender and live like a king and we will pretend we stopped you."

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I had no idea Longmire was a Netflix thing now. It's usually my go-to "don't have anything else to watch and just wanna throw something on" show since it's decent enough without requiring a ton of attention, but that seems to have changed now that it's a Netflix show. I've noticed it's trying to go for something a bit more cinematic than typical TV presentation, and it's way more compelling than anything else prior to this Netflix season. A decent show just became genuinely good, even great at times.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SubG posted:

• Thief (1981)
  • The Terminator (1984)
  • Re-Animator (1985)
  • Blue Velvet (1986)
  • Hellraiser (1987)
  • The Killer (1989)

This is an incredibly dope list.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Popeye is a good movie. Very odd but good. They really capture the aesthetic of the cartoon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

Going by the information on instantwatcher and just doing a big listdump because fuuuuuck explaining all of them:

• Nine to Five (1980)
  • Popeye (1980)
  • 48 Hrs. (1981)
  • Rocky III (1982)
  • Flashdance (1983)
  • Footloose (1984)
  • Top Secret! (1984)
  • Rocky IV (1985)
  • Top Gun (1986)
  • Dirty Dancing (1987)
  • The Naked Gun (1988)
  • Twins (1988)
  • Heathers (1989)
  • Road House (1989)

• Thief (1981)
  • The Terminator (1984)
  • Re-Animator (1985)
  • Blue Velvet (1986)
  • Hellraiser (1987)
  • The Killer (1989)

And I note that netflix currently has One from the Heart (1982), which is worth watching just because it's the film that killed Coppola's career (it's not a bad film, it's just totally overblown, in pretty much precisely the same way Scorsese's New York, New York (1977) is).

My wife and I were watching Narcos and I came to realize she had never seen Romancing the Stone. That had to be corrected immediately so we just got done watching it over dinner tonight and she loved it. Not streaming anywhere sadly but good to note that the movie holds up perfectly for being released in 1984 and is still fun.

When I realized it came out in 1984 I remembered that it seemed like a lot of movies came out that year so I looked it up:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=1984,1984&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

These are the top 50 by popularity on IMDB. Holy gently caress what a crazy list, everything is on there. . Also in that year was Blood Simple. I can't imagine this many quality films coming out in a year these days. Only a few sequels and/or remakes on the list at all. Geez.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm getting Game of Thrones through the mail, but I need something to hold me over because I binge through the discs as soon as I get them. Are there any good "historical" political intrigue-y series on US Netflix? I checked out Spartacus, but it looked way too schlocky for me. Are either of the two series about the Borgias worth watching?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Lester Shy posted:

I'm getting Game of Thrones through the mail, but I need something to hold me over because I binge through the discs as soon as I get them. Are there any good "historical" political intrigue-y series on US Netflix? I checked out Spartacus, but it looked way too schlocky for me. Are either of the two series about the Borgias worth watching?

Pretty schlocky as well. One of the characters doesn't even bother to try to hide his American accent.

You could try Peaky Blinders

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

That Works posted:

My wife and I were watching Narcos and I came to realize she had never seen Romancing the Stone. That had to be corrected immediately so we just got done watching it over dinner tonight and she loved it. Not streaming anywhere sadly but good to note that the movie holds up perfectly for being released in 1984 and is still fun.

When I realized it came out in 1984 I remembered that it seemed like a lot of movies came out that year so I looked it up:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=1984,1984&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

These are the top 50 by popularity on IMDB. Holy gently caress what a crazy list, everything is on there. . Also in that year was Blood Simple. I can't imagine this many quality films coming out in a year these days. Only a few sequels and/or remakes on the list at all. Geez.

The IMDB list is also missing Purple Rain and Stop Making Sense. 1984 was a good drat year.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Lester Shy posted:

Borgia is fairly schlocky, although not to the extent of Spartacus. The Borgias, I feel, was much better done, but I'll admit that my love of Jeremy Irons clouds my judgement. That series never gets concluded, however.

You could also try the first two seasons of The Tudors. I specify the first two seasons because 3 and 4 go a bit downhill, mainly because the story of Henry VIII's first two wives is far more interesting than the story of wives 3-6.

And I know it didn't get a lot of praise around here, but I'm part of the minority that actually liked Marco Polo.

Edit: Seconding Peaky Blinders

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SubG posted:

• Nine to Five (1980)
  • Popeye (1980)
  • 48 Hrs. (1981)
  • Rocky III (1982)
  • Flashdance (1983)
  • Footloose (1984)
  • Top Secret! (1984)
  • Rocky IV (1985)
  • Top Gun (1986)
  • Dirty Dancing (1987)
  • The Naked Gun (1988)
  • Twins (1988)
  • Heathers (1989)
  • Road House (1989)

• Thief (1981)
  • The Terminator (1984)
  • Re-Animator (1985)
  • Blue Velvet (1986)
  • Hellraiser (1987)
  • The Killer (1989)

I could have sworn To Live and Die in LA was on there but now that I think about it maybe it was just on TCM or IFC recently. That's a really good (and REALLY 80s) movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In a couple of days, Armadillo and Poetry are both leaving Netflix streaming. Both are worth checking out if they seem like something you'd like.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Marco Polo was awesome. It isn't the greatest show ever, but it was a ton of fun and would probably scratch that same itch that GoT does.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Thought I'd give netflix a go again after not having it for years, turns out the PS3 app is absolutely crap for browsing titles by genre, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but is there a website or app that I could use to find out whats available?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Gaz2k21 posted:

Thought I'd give netflix a go again after not having it for years, turns out the PS3 app is absolutely crap for browsing titles by genre, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but is there a website or app that I could use to find out whats available?

Netflix.com :v:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories (Hulu Plus) is loving unnerving.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Time Dissolver posted:

Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories (Hulu Plus) is loving unnerving.

I think Toes is more what you may have in mind for "unnerving" but the creepypasta sitcom artificiality of Bathroom Boys is more my speed. Angel Boy is also great. Roommates is just wall to wall nasty "failed actor" jokes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

http://instantwatcher.com/

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Superb! Thankyou.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Watch The Dead Lands if you want to see two thirsty Maori drinking blood from their friend's jugular. Better yet, just watch The Dead Lands.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Did you watch The Road and feel like you didn't get quite enough horribly depressing apocalypse stuff and could use a little more? Then watch These Final Hours on Netflix.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 15, 2015

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
While watching Hand of God there was a The Man in the High Castle ad. Amazon has decided to release 10 episdoes on November 20th. I"m super loving excited. I thought the pilot was pretty great.

Everyone should check out the pilot at the very least.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 15, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The Guest

This movie was pretty cool for a while, but it's finale is so cheesy that even if they were intentionally going for cheese it becomes impossible to care about. The tonal shift it makes in the last quarter of its runtime feels like the movie tossing out everything that came before, and the little knowing winks turn into frustrating elbow jabs in the ribs and eventually boring self-deprication

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Dear White People has a rough start but eventually turns into a very good ensemble film. It's also not really a comedy, like, at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

While watching Hand of God there was a The Man in the High Castle ad. Amazon has decided to release 10 episdoes on November 20th. I"m super loving excited. I thought the pilot was pretty great.

Everyone should check out the pilot at the very least.

Hell yes. The pilot was fantastic, this just got me to make the jump towards getting Prime again.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lycus posted:

Did you watch The Road and feel like you didn't get quite enough horribly depressing apocalypse stuff and could use a little more? Then watch These Final Hours on Netflix.

The Mist is the best because all the pessimistic commentary on humanity is occasionally interrupted by some really spotty cgi and it makes me laugh when I see it and then I feel better. I'm sitting there all like "Man, I'm bummed out that that just happened. Heck, I'm sort of bummed that someone who isn't a 15 year old felt bad enough about people to write this. Oh wait, did that vagina tentacle from a 1998 CGI adventure game just kill a bag boy? haha. Oh dear, oh lord, alright." It is on Amazon Prime and I like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

The Mist is the best because all the pessimistic commentary on humanity is occasionally interrupted by some really spotty cgi and it makes me laugh when I see it and then I feel better. I'm sitting there all like "Man, I'm bummed out that that just happened. Heck, I'm sort of bummed that someone who isn't a 15 year old felt bad enough about people to write this. Oh wait, did that vagina tentacle from a 1998 CGI adventure game just kill a bag boy? haha. Oh dear, oh lord, alright." It is on Amazon Prime and I like it.

You're really overrating what video game graphics looked like in 1998. The CGI effects in The Mist are pretty solid, the tentacle is supposed to look kinda gooey and translucent, like some sort of worm. Maybe that contributes to it looking artificial because when people see shiny, slick textures they think "fake" right away. For an example check out the Star Wars prequels. People will just assume that certain sets are CGI because they are designed to look that way, but they were actually physical sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Basebf555 posted:

You're really overrating what video game graphics looked like in 1998. The CGI effects in The Mist are pretty solid, the tentacle is supposed to look kinda gooey and translucent, like some sort of worm. Maybe that contributes to it looking artificial because when people see shiny, slick textures they think "fake" right away. For an example check out the Star Wars prequels. People will just assume that certain sets are CGI because they are designed to look that way, but they were actually physical sets.

I hadn't watched it in forever and remembered the cgi looking fine, but when I watched it this weekend I was struck by how bad it looked. Much worse than I remembered it being. Still a great movie, and the monster interludes actually break up the dire atmosphere.