Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blah_blah posted:

The 'sharing economy' is still a tiny proportion of tech/SV.

Uber, et al are a tiny proportion of Silicon Valley? By what metric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Necc0 posted:

I just realized many in D&D may not have seen these which should be considered essential viewing for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvwCcEP74Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqNLaJkyIB0

On the one hand, we live in the cyberpunk nightmare world.

On the other hand, "Uber has effectively become the vascular system for business." :rolleyes:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Radbot posted:

Uber + Lyft + Airbnb + Taskrabbit + literally every sharing economy startup combined are probably under 100B in combined valuations (and that's inflated $ VC valuations with a whole laundry list of preferences and guarantees in exchange for the inflated number, not the lower, 'true', valuation that those companies would be valuing their stock internally at).

Apple + Google + Facebook alone are around 1.35T in market cap.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 14, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Uber + Lyft + Airbnb + Taskrabbit + literally every sharing economy startup combined are probably under 100M in combined valuations (and that's inflated $ VC valuations
I'm guessing you meant 100B here?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

I'm guessing you meant 100B here?

Only off by 3 orders of magnitude.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

blah_blah posted:

Apple + Google + Facebook alone are around 1.35T in market cap.

Apple, Google, and Facebook aren't startups.

apple is the only technology company in that list as well, el goog and fb are advertising companies that happen to offer other products; similarly, amazon is a server rental company that also sells toilet paper and books

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

uncurable mlady posted:

apple is the only technology company in that list as well, el goog and fb are advertising companies that happen to offer other products; similarly, amazon is a server rental company that also sells toilet paper and books
Next thing you know you're gonna tell me newspapers are ads with filler written in the middle, governments are tax collectors with guns, and capitalism is a ponzi scheme.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Next thing you know you're gonna tell me newspapers are ads with filler written in the middle, governments are tax collectors with guns, and capitalism is a ponzi scheme.

ron paul 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

uncurable mlady posted:

I think you missed the context:

quote:

The 'sharing economy' is still a tiny proportion of tech/SV.

quote:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Necc0 posted:

I just realized many in D&D may not have seen these which should be considered essential viewing for this thread:

Kill all marketers. Kill them, throw their bodies in an unmarked mass grave, burn them, bury them, and then kill the people who killed and buried them, just to be safe.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Kill all marketers. Kill them, throw their bodies in an unmarked mass grave, burn them, bury them, and then kill the people who killed and buried them, just to be safe.

:commissar:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Necc0 posted:

I wonder how long it will take for a company to be worth more than the US GDP.
These videos also make me wonder why turning us all into serfs is necessarily the future of business.
The companies that dominate get ridiculous returns from their workers, and I don't see how that can be accomplished with non-competitive, unskilled 1099 wage slaves:

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 15, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

These videos also make me wonder why turning us all into serfs is necessarily the future of business.
The companies that dominate get ridiculous returns from their workers, and I don't see how that can be accomplished with non-competitive, unskilled 1099 wage slaves:

The idea is that only the absolute top performing best of the best people will work at Apple, say. This will in large part be determined by their social connections and cultural similarities to the hiring managers, rather than some objective proof of coding ability, but shhhh. The rest of us will work at Foxconn, or make like Dalereed said and "lay down in the street and die."

The question arises then of "who will buy the next iPhone" but I'm sure the system is infinitely sustainable.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Nessus posted:

The idea is that only the absolute top performing best of the best people will work at Apple, say. This will in large part be determined by their social connections and cultural similarities to the hiring managers, rather than some objective proof of coding ability, but shhhh. The rest of us will work at Foxconn, or make like Dalereed said and "lay down in the street and die."

The question arises then of "who will buy the next iPhone" but I'm sure the system is infinitely sustainable.
Does knowledge of this actually empower anyone to act?
Reading about this and other issues like global warming make me more FYGM than anything else.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Nessus posted:

Well then you can enter the stage that was described in that infamous Citigroup research paper from 2005 about the US slowly turning into what they called a plutonomy, with businesses mostly focusing on a tiny, but very wealthy, group of people. So golden iphones for the rich and iphone 3310's for the poor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Charlie Mopps posted:

Well then you can enter the stage that was described in that infamous Citigroup research paper from 2005 about the US slowly turning into what they called a plutonomy, with businesses mostly focusing on a tiny, but very wealthy, group of people. So golden iphones for the rich and iphone 3310's for the poor.
You could probably do this but you need the poor to be "poor" not "totally loving broke." It might work better if we get a GMI going on or something.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Does knowledge of this actually empower anyone to act?
Reading about this and other issues like global warming make me more FYGM than anything else.

It makes me drink and appreciate the Luddites a bit more

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Nessus posted:

You could probably do this but you need the poor to be "poor" not "totally loving broke." It might work better if we get a GMI going on or something.
This is the most reasonable solution. Automation is ultimately going to force us as a society to face this issue, and GMI looks quite reasonable compared to mass poverty, serious population control, or revolution.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 15, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

This is the most reasonable solution. Automation is ultimately going to force us as a society to face this issue, and GMI looks quite reasonable compared to mass poverty, serious population control, or revolution.

and it won't happen because we live in a society that idolizes greed and despises the poor for existing

Morol
May 21, 2007

I think this deserve to be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdEuII9cv-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvf2DZzKX0

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Condiv posted:

and it won't happen because we live in a society that idolizes greed and despises the poor for existing
And the poor hate themselves and willingly cooperate in their suicide.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 15, 2015

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I think its interesting that Lanier brings up the idea of paying consumers for providing personal information and creating content for software companies, because Valve (the most obvious example I can think of, not trying to be puerile) does something quite similar, paying people for creating in-game items which sell at a price.
I wonder how people can actually make a reasonable living off that work alone though, or how to picture an economy that has millions of people selling their private info, selling 3-D print blueprints, making TF2 hats, and selling stuff on Etsy. I have doubts about the sustainability of such a model. Almost veering into Eripsa territory. I also wonder if the dynamics of power between consumers and companies would change in a significant way compared to now.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

I think its interesting that Lanier brings up the idea of paying consumers for providing personal information and creating content for software companies, because Valve (the most obvious example I can think of, not trying to be puerile) does something quite similar, paying people for creating in-game items which sell at a price.
I wonder how people can actually make a reasonable living off that work alone though, or how to picture an economy that has millions of people selling their private info, selling 3-D print blueprints, making TF2 hats, and selling stuff on Etsy. I have doubts about the sustainability of such a model. Almost veering into Eripsa territory. I also wonder if the dynamics of power between consumers and companies would change in a significant way compared to now.

It would depend on how open they made the market. As it currently stands with your Valve example very few artists make it through but those who do get paid big bucks. Obviously you're gonna follow a basic supply/demand curve with this where the more artists you let in the less all of them will get paid barring a few 'rockstar' modelers

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

tsa posted:

It's really apparent most people don't have a clue what they are talking about. Any sort of autonomous vehicle didn't really exist even 10 years ago, the internet pretty much didn't exist 20 years ago, this poo poo takes time but it's coming way faster than people here think.

Air France 447 would have made it if the pilots just would have... done literally nothing.

It's not really a bubble in any sense of the word though. I don't think people know what "bubble" means. China's stock market is/was a bubble.

E:

This is like comparing an apple to an aircraft carrier, you aren't even in the same universe here.

And also plenty of instances where auto-pilots fail or click off because they encounter a situation they can't handle leaving the helm in control of pilots who have increasingly less experience with the controls. It's a debatable issue at the least how to improve safety from where we are (meaning more day-day hands on control by pilots or less). Though pilotless planes are clearly not ready yet.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Capital is really bad at planning for the future. It isn't making serfs of us deliberately, that's just what seems to be the most lucrative thing to do. That slavery is actually less productive long-term involves the kind of proofs that Capitalism isn't capable of comprehending. When we set free entities that are solely motivated by Capital, we shouldn't be shocked by their actions. The only thing keeping us from a thriving market in babies is the dead hand of government.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Peztopiary posted:

Capital is really bad at planning for the future. It isn't making serfs of us deliberately, that's just what seems to be the most lucrative thing to do. That slavery is actually less productive long-term involves the kind of proofs that Capitalism isn't capable of comprehending. When we set free entities that are solely motivated by Capital, we shouldn't be shocked by their actions. The only thing keeping us from a thriving market in babies is the dead hand of government.

The government is the only thing keeping us from a lot of bad things.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DolphinCop posted:

you accidentally stumbled upon the entire intent and purpose of the tech industry in its present form- allowing middle class people to imitate the privileges available to upper class people on the backs of the labor of the poor. basically everything involving the use of a private servant, from freshly prepared meals to chauffeuring to pet care. yes, there is an "uber for dog walking" btw

Also why lots (most?) of tech people are Libertarian. They don't understand economic coercion, only authoritarian force, and, hey, no one's forcing you to work for Uber!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.amazon.com/Social-Anarchism-Lifestyle-Unbridgeable-Chasm/dp/187317683X/

I'm waiting for my copy of this to come in. Unfortunately none of Murray Bookchin's writings are available electronically.

Here is a 1983 documentary about American Anarchism where you can see the roots of today's market anarchist "libertarian" rhetoric.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

Also why lots (most?) of tech people are Libertarian. They don't understand economic coercion, only authoritarian force, and, hey, no one's forcing you to work for Uber!

No not all tech people are libertarians. A lot of people are confusing "tech people" with startup culture which are distinct groups. The startup folks are more likely to be the semi-libertarian types and even then it's not close to "most".

The grandfathers working at places like GE and IBM have nothing to do with those people (the average engineer age at my company is at least 50).

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

asdf32 posted:

No not all tech people are libertarians. A lot of people are confusing "tech people" with startup culture which are distinct groups. The startup folks are more likely to be the semi-libertarian types and even then it's not close to "most".

The grandfathers working at places like GE and IBM have nothing to do with those people (the average engineer age at my company is at least 50).

I'm IT consultant. I'm aware.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

tsa posted:

Air France 447 would have made it if the pilots just would have... done literally nothing.

Yeah, frozen pitot tubes had nothing to do with this. Statements like these really bring home the point that folks in your industry really don't understand the amount of safety needed to make this poo poo work in the real world.

These problems aren't easy to solve, and if you gently caress them up people die. Your industry is so accustomed to the standards of releasing beta software as "final" and expecting people to patch things up once enough people use them. Vehicles aren't a copy of Windows or WoW - your industry has a lovely culture of safety and it's going to get people killed if folks like you don't wake up and take it seriously.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXDgmW3E3_I

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, frozen pitot tubes had nothing to do with this. Statements like these really bring home the point that folks in your industry really don't understand the amount of safety needed to make this poo poo work in the real world.

These problems aren't easy to solve, and if you gently caress them up people die. Your industry is so accustomed to the standards of releasing beta software as "final" and expecting people to patch things up once enough people use them. Vehicles aren't a copy of Windows or WoW - your industry has a lovely culture of safety and it's going to get people killed if folks like you don't wake up and take it seriously.

The idea is to destroy regulations so you can apply the current software product lifecycle to things like automated cars and just shrug accidents off as "feedback for our next iteration!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peztopiary posted:

This isn't any more true than pointing to Venezuela as an example of why Socialists can't plan ahead since they won't eliminate the gas subsidy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm IT consultant. I'm aware.

Then why are you so wrong then?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

Then why are you so wrong then?

About?

You have to admit lots of people in startup culture, if not most, are libertarians or libertarian-leaning, whether it's self-stated or not.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Solkanar512 posted:

The aircraft industry is using control laws developed 50 years ago. In no way is any of this "cutting edge".

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Mrit posted:

When you are running Office, and it crashes once a year, no one cares.
When you program a self-driving car, you can't ever have the program crash. And the the more complex the program gets(to account for all the stuff you encounter with the average drive) the more crash prone it becomes. The more complicated and the more people work on an application, the more likely it is to fail.
I would love driverless cars. But to get to where they are possible in the real world takes a leap in technology that doesn't exist for the foreseeable future. Now, if we are able to invent a true AI, maybe.

I think this is the reason we never can have truly automated cars. We have have low involvement operator cars. Even if the human is twiddling about doing other things there will always be the need for a human operator.

Would you ever trust a drone airline? The modern railed street car still has an operator.

What comes with learning intelligence is the need to make mistakes, tough to trust a machine to make mistakes with lives.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Solkanar512 posted:

please tell me tsa is not in my industry, i like to sleep at night

otherwise i agree with your post, software is held to a ridiculously low standard when it comes to quality. we needed some kind of certification system for programmers a long while back (or at least mandatory security auditing of important programs, jfc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Job Truniht posted:

The aircraft industry is using control laws developed 50 years ago. In no way is any of this "cutting edge".

What's your point?

• Locked thread