Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so I'm trying to take screenshots of stuff in Reelism, and I set up a key to do it which seems to be working (since the game has a very small pause whenever I press the key), but where do the screenshots actually go? I'm on OS X, if that helps.

If you're unlucky like me, you don't have a screenshot folder set and it's just taking them and putting them in the void. You can check with the screenshot_dir command in GZdoom, and assign it to a potentially better folder with the same command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Arivia posted:

IDK, the guy mad enough about spaceships to call something "trannyverse" could probably fight him for that title. So many entitled whining "gamers" without any actual issues.

nearly everyone who saw that game called it Trannyverse. it was a really funny name for it!
Barring that though, MWO is absolutely the worst F2P game out right now. it really could have been fun, and the staff who are actually doing a lot of the window dressing and other stuff are super talented. it's just the guys in charge are pants on head retarded and built and updated it in a way the game to straight-up abandon it for their next cash cow. (which is PRETTY common these days with MMOs in general.) T:A doesn't really feel that way, but it wasn't exactly left in a great state either.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Re: Tribes: Ascend

I overreacted, sure. However, in order to understand my bitterness (and indeed the bitterness of many people) you have to understand what Tribes: Ascend was.

The product cycle for this game wasn't your average "develop game, release, consumers buy it, move on" deal. There was an ongoing development featuring both the developers and the player base, that communicated to each other and worked with each other. The developers would participate in discussion forums, host tournaments, share the memes and art the player base created, while the player base would bring up balance concerns, game ideas, and valuable feedback for the developers. If you want any proof of this symbiotic relationship, consider the fact that "sanic" and "gotta go fast" show up a bunch of times throughout the game.

Then, all of a sudden, that all ended. Hi-Rez picked up everything and moved to work on Smite. T:A had literally two people working on the game now. With half of T:A's ecosystem removed the game was doomed to failure.

Imagine if you had a really good friend, and the two of you hung out all the time and shared jokes and did all sorts of wonderful things. Then one day out of nowhere he just starts ignoring you. Doesn't answer your calls or texts, just acts like you don't exist. You discover that he's given you up because he's attempting to catch the attention of somebody else who might give him a shitload of money.

That's exactly what happened with Tribes: Ascend. The friendship metaphor might seem melodramatic but the fact of the matter is is that this isn't about "entitled gamers" (an indictment that's utterly hilarious considering where it's coming from) whining about a game, it's a community that's heartbroken because they were abandoned.

Hi-Rez might be able to make good on it. A lot of people (including myself) are cynical, and I imagine a lot of others are just happy that they're getting attention again. I desperately want for this to be an altruistic, "Hi-Rez returning to the game now that they have the ability to" situation, but I just don't feel like that's the truth. I want for the old relationship between Hi-Rez and its community to come back to life, and Agent Kool-Aid definitely pointed out that they're doing a lot to show they care, but will it be enough? Could anything be enough?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

BarkBlast was recoded because the original code from ROTT TC was... weird in a way that caused it to not work if the Caffeine reel was active unless you were in mid-air. I guess one of the side effects is it's slightly less awesome now. I'll see if I can twiddle with it, because odds are I'm gonna have to do a bug fix update at some point soon.

I found a BarkBlast bug. It seems to be totally ineffective if there are many enemies touching your hitbox for some reason. I only encountered this once, and it was against skeletons and bronies if that matters any.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Elliotw2 posted:

Transverse was a Star Citizen knockoff they tried to push and it failed horribly and torpedoed the remaining shred of good will they potentially had.

Oh, so working the slur in there is all Colon Semicolon? Got it, what a shitstain.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like how Trannyverse straight-up ripped off Star Citizen's ship designs. The whole thing was a disaster from start to end and I have no idea how they thought it was a good idea.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I dunno maybe the game's about car transmissions and you have to roam the universe to collect them? :shrug:

honestly though you don't need a slur to attack a game, just get really pissed off like I do.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Transverse's whole gimmick is people literally never die, and their ghosts 'transcend' to other bodies, but sometimes like... parts of your ghost split off into other places and create a new ghost that then is evil... or something. They never actually explained this well, and it came off as exceptionally dumb. It was also made from scraps from a Wing Commander/Starlancer project they couldn't get the rights for, and of course they made their own crowdfunding page (with no limit or counter) to try and get this thing done. They did similiar with MWO for the Project Phoenix mechs, acting like there was an OVERWHELMING demand and all goals were met for their funding goal.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 13, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

By the way Hog, I'm digging the stadium level. Reelism needed a stage like that.
Thanks! I'm actually working on a slight touch-up to it (in addition to whatever bugfixes Kinsie's been doing), adding a few more things around the edges so they don't feel quite as barren as they did before.

Out of curiosity, what font was used for the gift shop sign? I kinda want to redo the other signs to use it; seems more appropriate than Hey Gorgeous (the Paper Mario font).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

I found a BarkBlast bug. It seems to be totally ineffective if there are many enemies touching your hitbox for some reason. I only encountered this once, and it was against skeletons and bronies if that matters any.

Ah, this is what happened to me just recently
Goddamn, are there a lot of enemies near the doors in that contra-inspired map... And I couldn't kill any of them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ah, this is what happened to me just recently
Goddamn, are there a lot of enemies near the doors in that contra-inspired map... And I couldn't kill any of them.

After playing around with it a bit more, it seems to happen as long as any enemy is touching your hitbox. Even if it's just a single brony.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

After playing around with it a bit more, it seems to happen as long as any enemy is touching your hitbox. Even if it's just a single brony.

Goddamned bronies! :argh:

Also, am I just completely missing the announcer voice? When does he/she speak?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've heard the announcer shout for QUAD DAMAGE and IT'S THE BOSS

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Geight posted:

I've heard the announcer shout for QUAD DAMAGE and IT'S THE BOSS

I think the "Quad Damage!" voice is just a Q3 announcer soundbyte associated with the reel. I've only heard the actual Reelism announcer when meeting/killing bosses.

BOSSANOVA

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The Q3 announcer definitely doesn't sound like that, unless Quake Live has ruined that too

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Quake Live did change announcers because the old pack didn't have phrases for the new stuff they added.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

That sucks but it's understandable, but anyways the Reelism QUAD DAMAGE is definitely not the Q3 announcer

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Reelism announcer is actually Marty Kirra, who keeps popping up in a lot of mods, either via his sprites or his voice. He's pretty talented!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

The Reelism announcer is actually Marty Kirra, who keeps popping up in a lot of mods, either via his sprites or his voice. He's pretty talented!
Yeah he did a perfect D.C. Douglas impression for a character at the end of EP2 of AMC TC and he was loving perfect.

Shout-out to Chinese Tony Danza as well though, he did some voices for me too and they were genuinely professional quality (and his Brutal Doomguy voices were pretty great too)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jblade posted:

Yeah he did a perfect D.C. Douglas impression for a character at the end of EP2 of AMC TC and he was loving perfect.

Shout-out to Chinese Tony Danza as well though, he did some voices for me too and they were genuinely professional quality (and his Brutal Doomguy voices were pretty great too)

poo poo, how does one get into helping out with these beautiful mods? :allears:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Not to be outdone by people finding the source for Doom's weapons, George Broussard posts the shotgun used in Duke Nukem 3D.

Lookit that pistol grip. :circlefap:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jblade posted:

Part of why I'm digging Project Brutality is that it reinstates random taunts and comments when picking up weapons. They're not very common (only a couple used per level), but I just love the idea that I'm playing as Comic Doomguy, the berserker-pack fuelled howling lunatic.

'Knock Knock! Who's there!? ME me me ME MEMEMEMEMEMEME!!'

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Without reading anything or realizing what thread I was in, I instantly heard "Come get some." in my head when I saw that picture. :allears:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Well when I need voice acting I'll remember to post a shout out in this thread - It won't be a few years till episode 3 is out but I imagine there'll be a lot of roles for any goons that are interested.

Segmentation Fault posted:

If you need a crazy screaming rear end in a top hat I'm your man.
natch that's a pre-requirement before signing on :v:

Jblade fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 14, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Jblade posted:

Well when I need voice acting I'll remember to post a shout out in this thread - It won't be a few years till episode 3 is out but I imagine there'll be a lot of roles for any goons that are interested.

If you need a crazy screaming rear end in a top hat I'm your man.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I can't speak for everyone, but for me for the most part it's usually a matter of being able to fill a hole that needs filling.
I can code, write, and do (non-voice) soundstuff, but everything else is kind of a matter of digging a lot and/or begging someone more talented than me and/or swapping favors.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm glad that there's a dedicated announcer line for getting Dogpot

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

WHY do people do the 'it's not open source yet, when I get to Beta' thing? It inevitably ends in the project dying out before getting there.

(While we're at it, why did the Dark Forces team think not letting you remap keys was a good idea?)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Good thing the DOSbox mapper exists these days!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Keiya posted:

WHY do people do the 'it's not open source yet, when I get to Beta' thing? It inevitably ends in the project dying out before getting there.
As a programmer, I think it's because they want to get it "perfect" before letting outsiders see their code. If they release an early hacky version, they probably worry that people might think they are dumb-dumbs because they haven't had time yet to polish every part of it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Because me thinking they're an idiot for not releasing it while they're actually thinking about it existing is so much better? I don't *announce* stuff when it's really early but the repo is publicly accessible still...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Blzut3 has successfully compiled Engoo for the first time (without ASM, so it runs like poo poo). There is a lot of work to be done, but it's getting started.

Blzut3 posted:

Leilei should probably turn on warnings, cmake project gives 5,329 warnings
:staredog:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 16, 2015

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

david_a posted:

As a programmer, I think it's because they want to get it "perfect" before letting outsiders see their code. If they release an early hacky version, they probably worry that people might think they are dumb-dumbs because they haven't had time yet to polish every part of it.

Programmers can be some uniquely petty people in an interesting variety of ways. The amount of poo poo people can fling at you over unpolished code is monumental.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 16, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the best way to approach the original Deus Ex? It seems like it's designed to be fairly open-ended, kind of like an FPS equivalent of Knights Of The Old Republic, with different methods to complete (or even bypass) a given sequence.

What I'm mainly wondering is how well the stealth works. I could see late-'90s stealth being tedious. Should I just invest in big guns?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The stealth works fine, just keep in mind it's all sound/line of sight based and shadows do very little. You can play it however you want, but stealth is going to be more satisfying than just playing it like an FPS.

Also, remember to install biomod.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The stealth works fine, just keep in mind it's all sound/line of sight based and shadows do very little. You can play it however you want, but stealth is going to be more satisfying than just playing it like an FPS.

Also, remember to install biomod.

What he means is that, as RPG is good but is an awful FPS where an special agent with augmentations can't aim for poo poo a simple pistol at three meters without waiting 4-5 seconds for the reticle to be accurate enough to not miss. Once you invest points you can actually shoot stuff point blank.

Try to avoid shooting the first level because is by far the worst in the game (both because you're gimped and level design). It gets much better after that and you'll enjoy the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minidust posted:

What's the best way to approach the original Deus Ex? It seems like it's designed to be fairly open-ended, kind of like an FPS equivalent of Knights Of The Old Republic, with different methods to complete (or even bypass) a given sequence.

Oh god this sentence hurts me physically.

Minidust posted:

What I'm mainly wondering is how well the stealth works. I could see late-'90s stealth being tedious. Should I just invest in big guns?

Stealth is pretty effective but it can be kinda janky because old fashioned, yeah.

Big guns can be kinda rare though, you might not find anything good in the 'big guns' category until halfway through the game.

I would spread your points between pistols and snipers and hacking, but its personal taste.

Don't worry about swimming, its fairly useless.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

* The GEP gun is both an effective weapon and an effective lockpick
* The pistol can last you the whole game
* There's a good melee weapon you come across later in the game
* Between those three, all other weapons are purely optional

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The GEP gun is the best way to make a silent takedown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Big guns can be kinda rare though, you might not find anything good in the 'big guns' category until halfway through the game.

Oh i see how it is Paul. :mad:

Swimming is not very useful. Environmental Training or whatever it is is worse.

Also, one point you should keep in mind Minidust. Deus Ex is a very good, best of all time game - it's like Doom. And like Doom, you'll return to it every year or so as long as computers exist. But also like Doom, you only get to play it the first time once. Don't look at walkthroughs, don't worry about being optimal (although do keep a lot of saves) - just do what you want to do, and see where that takes you. Choice is a huge part of Deus Ex, and aiming to be perfect takes away from that. Just enjoy it.