Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

people say this every single year, it's almost like you're so goddamn cynical that in order to accept a team as "good", it has to be flawless and composed entirely of Breaking Madden-esque supermen

He's a Mississippi State fan. Last year did really strange things to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

He's a Mississippi State fan. Last year did really strange things to them.

Watch it bud, I'll dust-roll your fuckin coonass

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ohio State seems pretty good but how can you really tell if they don't test themselves against someone like Toledo.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Elotana posted:

Just noticed that ASU had trouble shaking Cal Poly

A&M's season is really gonna follow the exact same arc it did in 2014 huh

This is what I was trying to say last week. ASU was vastly overrated to start the season because Todd Graham talked up the team well and a lot of people jumped on the ASU bandwagon but given that Todd Graham only jumps off the wagon (and onto another) you'd think people would have learned by now...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SourKraut posted:

This is what I was trying to say last week. ASU was vastly overrated to start the season because Todd Graham talked up the team well and a lot of people jumped on the ASU bandwagon but given that Todd Graham only jumps off the wagon (and onto another) you'd think people would have learned by now...

I wonder where his wife will have family next

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Watch it bud, I'll dust-roll your fuckin coonass

Don't hurt me.

In other news, I kinda like watching fan fights. Even moreso when the combatants cheer for the same team (Arkansas) :lol:

Hogs! FIGHT!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Bielema on Twitter today:

quote:

I'm not going to comment on other teams schedules anymore, but there were teams last year that lost early but came back later in the season

Can universities enact lawful gag orders?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I mean, he's not wrong, but he's about the last person that needs to be raising that point right now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

God willing

MAC is currently 1-4 vs. the B1G, upcoming games:

NIU @ OSU
Kent @ Minnesota
BG @ Purdue
CMU @ MSU
Ohio @ Minnesota
WMU @ OSU
Ball State @ N'Western

Only likely win for the MAC out of those is BG vs. Purdue, and Ohio and Ball State could possibly catch Minnesota and Northwestern in trap games.

Don't think there's a trap game when Northwestern plays Ball State UNDER THE LIGHTS

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Marco Rubio and Clay Travis join forces to dump on Florida State
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/marco-rubio-crushes-florida-state-091415

:(

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 15, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Urbz had a pretty generic response. Said he doesn't know and doesn't care about other teams schedule, he's focused on getting better.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Why do you even bother with Clay Travis?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

RumbleFish posted:

Connor Mitch separated his shoulder and will be out 4-6 weeks. Given that and his lackluster performance up until that point, it's very possible the Mitch era is over before it really began. Perry Orth will start against Georgia and I imagine Lorenzo Nunez will be getting plenty of snaps as well -- he's the most physically gifted QB we have and we burned his redshirt. He's incredibly raw, so I figure he'll mostly replace Pharoh Cooper as the Wildcat guy.

Last year we didn't get any of our young/backup quarterbacks snaps, which obviously was an issue. This year, they'll get all the snaps they could want and then some. Definitely a rebuilding season.

You've got it all wrong you're supposed to put in your fresh QB in a game at the other Columbia and come back 24 points or something to win.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wandler20 posted:

Why do you even bother with Clay Travis?

I kinda dish a good amount of snark at other teams, perhaps too much, so it seemed apropos to do something particularly grating at fsu's expense.

Anyway, here's a good article on rebuilding offensive lines
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-five-step-offensive-line-rebuilding-guide/

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Marco Rubio inhabits a fantasy world out of touch with three-dimensional physical reality, so there's that.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

kayakyakr posted:

Arkansas injury report is not looking as bleak as expected (or it is and Bielema is trying to play mind games), and they are expecting or hoping for everyone except for Keon Hatcher to be able to play Saturday.

There are a couple that did not look serious that I believe like Liddell and Harris. I didn't even know Walker was injured except that he just stopped getting the ball in situations I thought he should. I'm surprised to hear that Hawkins is back after being carted off the field. Looked like a horse collar and possible cervical injury but glad to hear it wasn't. I will be surprised if he plays. Kirkland had an arm injury and I wondered if he had an elbow dislocation though I guess you could play with that after it was reduced. Hatcher was a surprised because there was no indication that he was even injured and now they are talking about red shirting him. So, our top receiver and rusher are now out before we even get into league play.

Winsanity
May 14, 2015

Space magic is the best magic

DJExile posted:

drat yeah those helmets are legit as gently caress

E: Here have another FCS move, except it owned

I wanna imagine the QB was just dicking around one day seeing how well he can skip the football, and the coach asks him if he wants to try that in a game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I didn't say anything last week because it was mostly based on speculation over some tweets, but it seems semi-official now that Chris Clark (freshman, ranked as the #2 TE in last year's class) has left the team. He apparently is having a lot of issues getting used to college and didn't even travel with the team to Vegas this past weekend, spending it instead back home in New Jersey. Mora and the team have been pretty quiet on details about what's going on, but it sure looks like he'll be transferring out.

witz
Sep 28, 2001

Start winning some games or he'll kill you
ND starting TE Smythe is done. Starting QB, RB, and TE out for the season now. Ugh.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

News: Chubb practiced at full speed on Monday, ankle was just a minor sprain and he is good to go barring anything popping up this week.

Views: :getin:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

News: Chubb practiced at full speed on Monday, ankle was just a minor sprain and he is good to go barring anything popping up this week.

Are yall playing SCar at home or in Columbia?

k3dj
Aug 21, 2015
lots of good match ups this weekend georgia tech norte dame should turn out to be a great game

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Scarf posted:

Are yall playing SCar at home or in Columbia?

Athens

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

He'll go off for 230yds/3TDs and you'll still lose to Spurrier and his backup QB by 2.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Congrats, Longhorn goons

http://www.hookem.com/story/breaking-steve-patterson-expected-out-as-texas-athletic-director/

E: Huh, totally missed or forgot that Texas got Shaka Smart.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thank god. I may have to drive through Columbia on Saturday and am in no mood to deal with gameday traffic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Real Name Grover posted:

Congrats, Longhorn goons

http://www.hookem.com/story/breaking-steve-patterson-expected-out-as-texas-athletic-director/

E: Huh, totally missed or forgot that Texas got Shaka Smart.

Ahahahahahahaha

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bring back Mack as AD

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Bring back Mack as AD

Mack would actually be a pretty good AD, but think if you're Charlie Strong that'd be a weeeeeeeee bit uncomfortable.

Of course, I think this only intensifies the pressure on Strong to begin with and I wouldn't be completely surprised to see him leave at the end of the season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If by leave you mean "gets fired after going 2-10" I agree

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

If by leave you mean "gets fired after going 2-10" I agree

I wasn't determining how he left :colbert:

Shame too, I think he's a good coach, just a terrible fit for Texas. (And, I hate to say I told Texas so but,)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Steve Pederson is available

E: Um

MourningView posted:

Bring back Mack as AD

@BruceFeldmanCFB
Source tells @FoxSports "Not sure it'll go thru, but there will be a big push for Mack (Brown) to become the next AD at #Texas."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Steve Pederson is available

E: Um

@BruceFeldmanCFB
Source tells @FoxSports "Not sure it'll go thru, but there will be a big push for Mack (Brown) to become the next AD at #Texas."

He really would be a solid choice, but I think that be super weird for Strong.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Peterson out, Mack in, Mack fires Strong and installs himself as 'interim' head coach, I go to the hospital for an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

MourningView posted:

Bring back Mack as AD

Return Of The Mack

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Emron posted:

Return Of The Mack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

You're a good person. God Bless.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I wasn't determining how he left :colbert:

Shame too, I think he's a good coach, just a terrible fit for Texas. (And, I hate to say I told Texas so but,)

I really like Strong and I am not sure he is a terrible fit, and he could definitely develop the program given time. A really good OC would have helped, though. I would like to think Mack would make a great AD and also would be mostly supportive of Strong, but it would absolutely be weird for both.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DuckHuntDog posted:

I really like Strong and I am not sure he is a terrible fit, and he could definitely develop the program given time. A really good OC would have helped, though. I would like to think Mack would make a great AD and also would be mostly supportive of Strong, but it would absolutely be weird for both.

He had a good OC. Like Watson was incredibly successful at Louisville.

I think the problem for Strong is exactly what I said would doom him when they hired him: he does not have the personality you need to be a coach at Texas. Texas needs basically a guy like Mack who likes to hang out with the boosters and talk tot he media. Strong just wants to coach football and be left alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Short of something like a 2-10 season, there is basically no way Strong gets fired after year two. He may well be going in to a do-or-die third year with his staff still not sorted out, though.

Mack as AD would definitely be an improvement over Patterson, but ideally I would prefer someone who has actually been a college AD before. Still, talk about a night and day difference in terms of understanding how UT politics work and general glad-handing ability. I can't believe we passed on Luck for Patterson against the advice of our search committee. Would've loved to have him here, but that ship has sailed now.

• Locked thread