Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PleasureKevin posted:

says the worst poster here by far

dsyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasureKevin posted:

has Xbox made a profit yet in its life

1 billion dollar loss on Xbox original

1.1 billion cost due to rrod on 360

Xbox one outsold 3:1

why aren't they just doing enterprise cloud consulting yet

They did late in the 360 era (like around 2011) but i don't know about now on the whole

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

why does it have a google flag

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

windows mobile. never produced a profit. 7.6 billion dollar write off. buries the competition

rip lunix archduke

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

its definitely the second best browser after ie, but with some work it could be the best

shaggar was right

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going back and re-reading all the old threads using IE. It's a brand new, digitally authentic experience.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDy_b33cCQ

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Stux posted:

jsutubecausueu
starting up a new video hosting site named this

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasureKevin posted:

has Xbox made a profit yet in its life

1 billion dollar loss on Xbox original

1.1 billion cost due to rrod on 360

Xbox one outsold 3:1

why aren't they just doing enterprise cloud consulting yet

microsoft surface resulted in a 1 billion dollar write off, and yet somewhere in the effort that led to that 1 billion dollar write off they made some commercials that scared tim so bad that he made an apple surface

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Don't all the console makers lose money on the consoles? The profit is in licensing fees to the game publishers, and in selling accessories.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Don't all the console makers lose money on the consoles? The profit is in licensing fees to the game publishers, and in selling accessories.

They used to to various degrees, and it's possible Microsoft does now out of price drop desperation (and because they made bad long-term decisions on components), but they're all trying to avoid selling below cost because it's too difficult to recover from.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

that was partially true for the last gen but this time no one is taking any chances with that. except ms because they cant sell they=ir poo poo so they are in writeoff mitigation mode re: xbone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ms lost waaay more than just that writeoff on the 360, the actual red ring disaster cost them more than $2 billion, they spent around $5b launching the 360 in the first place [after the first xbox (the xbox one) cost them a couple billion too], they had a few decent quarters where the E&D [includes hardware and game revenue] division made like $200-500mil but I'd be surprised if the overall xbox balance sheet was under 3 bil in the red

they were basically given a blank check in 2004 to "beat sony" then sony beat themselves and nintendo sold 100000000 wiis and the 360 ended up in the exact same market position as the original xbox so when it came time to design the xbone it got all windows upped

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

xbox one really goes well with microsoft's focus on productivity because it's a bad console and makes you want to work instead

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they had tiny profits in 2011 and 2012, can't be arsed to look up next two years.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

they had tiny profits in 2011 and 2012, can't be arsed to look up next two years.
what is that based off of as the divison xbox was under included android patents, etc to fluff numbers

they're shuffling the deck with all the divisions right now so who the gently caress knows what the next numbers will be based off of either

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
everything is just going to be windows including xbox division

"check out all these installs!!"

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Phoenixan posted:

everything is just going to be windows including xbox division

"check out all these installs!!"

count the free windows 10 updates and the forced windows 10 downloads as different installs, boom, doubled the figures

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

starting up a new video hosting site named this

is it only for Romanians?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

they had a few decent quarters where the E&D [includes hardware and game revenue] division made like $200-500mil but I'd be surprised if the overall xbox balance sheet was under 3 bil in the red

remember when Office for Mac was for some reason made part of that org instead of the main Office org?

I think that might have been the same quarters. makes you think...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pinterest Mom posted:

whoa, did nintendo really make $25 billion?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

nintendo is a profitable and well-run company

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Stringent posted:

they sold a gently caress ton of wii's around the world. 101.56 million units according to wikipedia.

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Stringent posted:

yeah that's why the wii u selling like poo poo doesn't have them totally panicking, they've got lots of accumulated capitol to cruise on while they sort things out.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah just like blackberry

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

duTrieux. posted:

nintendo is a profitable and well-run company

lol

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/07/nintendo-records-a-surprising-profit-with-strong-software-and-amiibo-sales/

quote:

For the three months starting April 1 through June 30, Nintendo racked up a net profit of ¥8.28 billion yen (£43 million, $67 million) off the back of over ¥90 billion (£466 million, $729 million) in sales. This follows Nintendo's overall profit of of ¥24.8 billion ($207 million, £136 million) for its fiscal year ending March 31.

yes, nintendo is profitable and well-run. sorry that you're retarded

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

qirex posted:

ms lost waaay more than just that writeoff on the 360, the actual red ring disaster cost them more than $2 billion, they spent around $5b launching the 360 in the first place [after the first xbox (the xbox one) cost them a couple billion too], they had a few decent quarters where the E&D [includes hardware and game revenue] division made like $200-500mil but I'd be surprised if the overall xbox balance sheet was under 3 bil in the red

they were basically given a blank check in 2004 to "beat sony" then sony beat themselves and nintendo sold 100000000 wiis and the 360 ended up in the exact same market position as the original xbox so when it came time to design the xbone it got all windows upped
Wait didn't the 360 ultimately come in third, behind the PS3? And didn't the OG xbox come in second, ahead of the gamecube?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i went into best buy today for the first time in years, since i figured buying compressed air online could be a mailing hastle? idk

but wow that store has changed. it's all balkanized up into sub-stores now

microsoft's is the biggest. i wonder how much they paid for their like 8% of best buy's total floor space

and as usual the microsoft store was empty except for someone looking at the nearby printer ink, while apple's two tables had like ten people

google had a table too

thanks for reading

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Triglav posted:

i went into best buy today for the first time in years, since i figured buying compressed air online could be a mailing hastle? idk

but wow that store has changed. it's all balkanized up into sub-stores now

microsoft's is the biggest. i wonder how much they paid for their like 8% of best buy's total floor space

and as usual the microsoft store was empty except for someone looking at the nearby printer ink, while apple's two tables had like ten people

google had a table too

thanks for reading

samsung usually has a section as well

the "store within a store" thing is a way to leverage their portfolio of big-box buildings such that they aren't losing money by having to maintain, well, buildings. they also won't have to maintain as much inventory or deal with merchandising on their own, and can also get the companies involved to help fund training for the blue-shirts. meanwhile, the companies get a ~brand foothold~

it's been a surprisingly effective strategy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it also makes it easier for blue-shirts to attach accessories because you don't have to walk people all over the store; products being sorted loosely by brand means that you have all sorts of matching attach options right there

the companies get to show off their entire eco-system 'as envisioned'

it's annoyingly effective for everybody involved

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

god, gently caress best buy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

duTrieux. posted:

god, gently caress best buy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
angered birds is on their thing

and it was an iphone game

like, im sure its a everything game now

but

really?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft? behind the times!?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
like why not use a popular microsoft original game instead?

i mean, they exist!!

like, didnt they buy halo?

what about that naked cyber lady they use for their siri? (was that from halo?)

use one of them

why use an iphone game ???

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
yeah the best buy reorg sounds smart. its quite sad though

i dont have good memories of best buy or anything its just kinda depressing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if best buy went back to the way it used to be would you not be deperssed?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the way it used to be as in? like, dirtier because they werent sponsored to be clean by brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why are the birds so angry ??

• Locked thread